Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Days of Future Past Ending (SPOILERS)

CormacFinan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are a lot of questions left open at the end of Days of Future Past but the one that gets me the most is (Again, spoilers beyond this point) if Mystique was Stryker at the end of the movie, then why would she want to experiment on Wolverine? I mean, her main goal in the movie was to kill the person working on mutants so why would she suddenly want to become the poster boy of mutant experimentation?

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By MatthewParker

@cormacfinan: ....she doesnt i think the point of that was that she saved him from the pain stryker would have caused him, though that does leaves the question how does he get his metal claws.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea what that was all about. Maybe she just wanted to have Wolverine out of the picture so she could disguise herself as him to infiltrate the X-Men like she's currently doing with Dazzler. Guess we're gonna have to wait for Age of Apocalypse or X-Force to find out.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that she turned into Stryker doesn't mean she gonna make the weapon x program, could be she just wanted to see if he survived, i can't believe she would cause another mutant that kind of suffering after the scene she goes through Trask's files and finds out mutants have been experimented to death and is so shcked she cries. Could even be just a nod to the character and her abilities or she's keeping a close eye to government mutant affairs.

jkojkojko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Wolverine wakes up at the end of the movie I don't remember it showing him having metal claws, or mentioning the experiments. I took it as her saving him from that fate.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the end was Jean Grey with Phoenix or not or was she in control of it????? It didnt mention right???

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

She was saving him

Phalcon05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't show his claws so it leaves it open that she either saved him or took him to weapon x but her character development and Scott being alive point more to her saving him but we will have to wait to find out.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Wolverine wakes up at the end of the movie I don't remember it showing him having metal claws, or mentioning the experiments. I took it as her saving him from that fate.

me too. maybe he ends up going into weapon X in some other way, or maybe he just never does because of Mystique saving him in the 70's. From the 70's on, it's a whole new timeline, right?

ostensibly he wakes up in the future and DoFP never happened (or it did and only he remembers), but from '73 until the future he wakes up in is now a different timeline from the original trilogy.

That was how I understood it.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I believe the whole point of the scene was to show that now anything can happen in the X-Movies, going forward. It went along with young Xavier's narration at the end about how the future isn't set in stone. The scene leads you to believe that Logan is being found by Stryker and from there will ultimately lead to him becoming The Wolverine. But then we see that it's actually Mystique, not the real Stryker. For all we know, Wolverine could now end up working with Mystique in the next movie or even become a member of Magneto's Brotherhood. Anything is possible now.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the whole point of the scene was to show that now anything can happen in the X-Movies, going forward. It went along with young Xavier's narration at the end about how the future isn't set in stone. The scene leads you to believe that Logan is being found by Stryker and from there will ultimately lead to him becoming The Wolverine. But then we see that it's actually Mystique, not the real Stryker. For all we know, Wolverine could now end up working with Mystique in the next movie or even become a member of Magneto's Brotherhood. Anything is possible now.

yeah, exactly.

or, at least, anything after '73 can be different. '62-'73 would still be the same..

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:

yeah, exactly.

or, at least, anything after '73 can be different. '62-'73 would still be the same..

Yeah, everything that happened in First Class is canon, and I would assume the flashbacks to WWII from The Wolverine would still be canon as well as they happen before First Class. But everything after the present-day portion of DoFP is now unknown.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@war_killer said:

Yeah, everything that happened in First Class is canon, and I would assume the flashbacks to WWII from The Wolverine would still be canon as well as they happen before First Class. But everything after the present-day portion of DoFP is now unknown.

you mean if present day was 1973, right?

what I meant was, I think everything before Mystique doesn't kill Trask, chronologically, is cannon/ everything after she rescues Wolverine at the end is unknown.

We don't know why/how Jean/Cyclops/Xavier are still alive in the future/present, so we can't really be sure that the original trilogy is still cannon (or, it sort of is, but it doesn't effect anything going forward), and we don't know if Wolverine ends up in the Weapon X program because Mystique saved him at the end, so that could rule out the original trilogy as well as both Wolverine movies.

Basically, as of the end of 'DoFP, only 'First Class and 'DoFP are actually cannon in the story going forward. The others still happened, just in another timeline which Wolverine prevented, but only Xavier will really know that.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really remember him interacting with Mystique all that much, if at all in the film. Why would she save him? I'm not thinking it could be for anything good personally.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:

you mean if present day was 1973, right?

what I meant was, I think everything before Mystique doesn't kill Trask, chronologically, is cannon/ everything after she rescues Wolverine at the end is unknown.

We don't know why/how Jean/Cyclops/Xavier are still alive in the future/present, so we can't really be sure that the original trilogy is still cannon (or, it sort of is, but it doesn't effect anything going forward), and we don't know if Wolverine ends up in the Weapon X program because Mystique saved him at the end, so that could rule out the original trilogy as well as both Wolverine movies.

Basically, as of the end of 'DoFP, only 'First Class and 'DoFP are actually cannon in the story going forward. The others still happened, just in another timeline which Wolverine prevented, but only Xavier will really know that.

Yeah. First Class and the present day portions of DoFP are canon, it's everything after 1973 that are no longer canon and have yet to be seen. That would make X-Men, X2: United, X3: The Last Stand, and The Wolverine now non-canon.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I don't really remember him interacting with Mystique all that much, if at all in the film. Why would she save him? I'm not thinking it could be for anything good personally.

It the comics Mystique has had her own Brotherhood of Mutants, so it's possible that she may be forming her own group due to her falling out with Magneto and not wanting to go back with Xavier to the X-Men. Maybe having seen Wolverine in action, she believes he may be a good first addition to her own group?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

It the comics Mystique has had her own Brotherhood of Mutants, so it's possible that she may be forming her own group due to her falling out with Magneto and not wanting to go back with Xavier to the X-Men. Maybe having seen Wolverine in action, she believes he may be a good first addition to her own group?

Possible, but i don't know why she would assume he'd work for her considering all she knows is that this person worked with Xavier against Magneto. I doubt she's going to allow him to be experimented on, especially considering her big gripe during this movie. Just saying theres not much motivation for saving him, though i guess its a good mystery. Maybe it'll lead to some form of Alpha Flight.....or possibly the rumored X-Force film.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

@war_killer said:

@koays said:

Possible, but i don't know why she would assume he'd work for her considering all she knows is that this person worked with Xavier against Magneto. I doubt she's going to allow him to be experimented on, especially considering her big gripe during this movie. Just saying there's not much motivation for saving him, though i guess its a good mystery. Maybe it'll lead to some form of Alpha Flight.....or possibly the rumored X-Force film.

except that she spent most of the movie saving every mutant she could find, whether she knew them or not..

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@war_killer said:

@koays said:

Possible, but i don't know why she would assume he'd work for her considering all she knows is that this person worked with Xavier against Magneto. I doubt she's going to allow him to be experimented on, especially considering her big gripe during this movie. Just saying there's not much motivation for saving him, though i guess its a good mystery. Maybe it'll lead to some form of Alpha Flight.....or possibly the rumored X-Force film.

except that she spent most of the movie saving every mutant she could find, whether she knew them or not..

Yea, but i'd think she would trust Xavier to at least help the guy who was working with him. Why did SHE need to rescue him?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I guess the most likely explanation is @war_killer's theory that she's assembling her own team.

Then again, why weren't Xavier and Beast rescuing him? I guess it would make sense that they just assumed he was dead. Or that he wouldn't want anything to do with them again, since he would no longer remember that they had been friends in the future (his mind would have reverted back to whatever his memories were before his future self possessed his body, meaning he'd have no knowledge of any of them).

Mystique may have also assumed that he'd be dead, but been trying to retrieve his body so that it couldn't be experimented on to use against mutants, as Trask had been doing. That fits in with the mission she'd been on for the whole movie even if she didn't expect him to be alive, which could have simply been a fortuitous surprise to her as well.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Well Xavier and Beast were probably trying to get clear of the fray after the military showed up. But even that's loose since they had to know he had some sort of healing factor, and it's kinda messed up to just leave him stuck to warped metal even if he doesn't remember them. I'll just assume they were being questioned or something.

I'll accept the Mystique trying to stop him from being experimented on thing, provided she thought he was dead. And maybe combine it with @war_killer 's team idea. Though we may not get any explanations until 2017.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

Well Xavier and Beast were probably trying to get clear of the fray after the military showed up. But even that's loose since they had to know he had some sort of healing factor, and it's kinda messed up to just leave him stuck to warped metal even if he doesn't remember them. I'll just assume they were being questioned or something.

sure, that works.

I'll accept the Mystique trying to stop him from being experimented on thing, provided she thought he was dead. And maybe combine it with @war_killer 's team idea. Though we may not get any explanations until 2017.

either of those explanations work for me, so, yeah.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By adamTRMM

Hm, and maybe he was only saved to become a horseman to get Adamntium anyway, just by other means?

PS: there are way too many DOPS threads....

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @oldnightcrawler: While we don't really know why she saves Logan at the end, that's why it was a tease, because it now has us wondering what's going to happen between the two in the next movie. The scene, in part, went alog with the whole idea that now anything can happen. So it's possible we'll be seeing a Mystique/Wolverine team-up in the next movie which would explain why Wolverine will even be in the next movie.

Since time has been rewritten, young Wolverine won't remember everything that happened in DoFP. We saw mid-way through the movie, when Wolverine first saw Stryker and began slipping back to the future, suddenly the younger Wolverine came back and had no idea where he was or who Xavier was. So when Wolverine wakes up after Mystique rescued him, he shouldn't remember anything that has transpired. Because of this, Logan now has no reason to join back up with Xavier nor does he have any motive to join Magneto. But because Mystique saved him, she may somehow convince him to work with her. That would explain Wolverine would appear in the next movie, and possibly lead to him officially joining the X-Men at some point.

Personally I wouldn't mind if both Wolverine and Mystique were members of the movie X-Force. Or better yet, it's possible that both Logan and Mystique could end up working for Stryker and Weapon X. They did something similar in the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon, as Wolverine apparently was in a relationship with Mystique and they both worked for Weapon X. In the show it's also revealed that she was the one who discovered what Weapon X was planning to do to Logan and ultimately was the one who freed him following his transformation into The Wolverine. They could possibly be doing something similar in the movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he just has bone claws now. I loved the ending, so many feels! Where's Warpath, Bishop and Blink? I want the Four Horsemen to be: Azazel, Banshee, Archangel and Wolverine (as Death).

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: @oldnightcrawler: While we don't really know why she saves Logan at the end, that's why it was a tease, because it now has us wondering what's going to happen between the two in the next movie. The scene, in part, went alog with the whole idea that now anything can happen. So it's possible we'll be seeing a Mystique/Wolverine team-up in the next movie which would explain why Wolverine will even be in the next movie.

seems likely.

• Since time has been rewritten, young Wolverine won't remember everything that happened in DoFP. We saw mid-way through the movie, when Wolverine first saw Stryker and began slipping back to the future, suddenly the younger Wolverine came back and had no idea where he was or who Xavier was.
    • So when Wolverine wakes up after Mystique rescued him, he shouldn't remember anything that has transpired. Because of this, Logan now has no reason to join back up with Xavier nor does he have any motive to join Magneto. But because Mystique saved him, she may somehow convince him to work with her. That would explain Wolverine would appear in the next movie, and possibly lead to him officially joining the X-Men at some point.

• it was when Magneto had the tasers in Strykers neck, presumably killing him, that Wolverine lost control of his former self; which makes sense, since without Stryker, Wolverine's future would be re-written and he may not have ended up with the X-men in the future/present.
    • So, Wolverine wakes up in '73, not knowing what's happened to him or anything about the X-men; and since this was before he was recruited by Stryker, she would likely be the first person he met (other than Sabertooth) who was a mutant. I kind of like that, that he would start out with her. I actually think it would be cooler if meeting up with her meant that he just never entered the Weapon X program; he's interesting enough without all that, and the Weapon X stuff's kind of been done to death. Especially in the movies.
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:

seems likely.

• Since time has been rewritten, young Wolverine won't remember everything that happened in DoFP. We saw mid-way through the movie, when Wolverine first saw Stryker and began slipping back to the future, suddenly the younger Wolverine came back and had no idea where he was or who Xavier was.
    • So when Wolverine wakes up after Mystique rescued him, he shouldn't remember anything that has transpired. Because of this, Logan now has no reason to join back up with Xavier nor does he have any motive to join Magneto. But because Mystique saved him, she may somehow convince him to work with her. That would explain Wolverine would appear in the next movie, and possibly lead to him officially joining the X-Men at some point.

• it was when Magneto had the tasers in Strykers neck, presumably killing him, that Wolverine lost control of his former self; which makes sense, since without Stryker, Wolverine's future would be re-written and he may not have ended up with the X-men in the future/present.
    • So, Wolverine wakes up in '73, not knowing what's happened to him or anything about the X-men; and since this was before he was recruited by Stryker, she would likely be the first person he met (other than Sabertooth) who was a mutant. I kind of like that, that he would start out with her. I actually think it would be cooler if meeting up with her meant that he just never entered the Weapon X program; he's interesting enough without all that, and the Weapon X stuff's kind of been done to death. Especially in the movies.

I'm all for it, but if this means we have to go through another "bone claws" movie, i'd rather them just have Mystique start Alpha Flight.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I'm ambivalent about what kind of claws he has, or even whether he uses them or not.

They're a good symbol for his character, but they're actually the least interesting thing about his powers for me.

if he only ever used his claws in silhouette (so that you didn't know if they were metal or bone) it would make no difference to how much I like the character.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Believe me i'm beyond neutral on Wolverine's characters within the movie verse, so it's not that its a "make or break" the character thing. But they've drawn a lot of attention to the claws within the films, so i wouldn't be surprised if they made it a point to include him transitioning from bone to adamantium in the next film depending on its setting.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: Believe me i'm beyond neutral on Wolverine's characters within the movie verse, so it's not that its a "make or break" the character thing. But they've drawn a lot of attention to the claws within the films, so i wouldn't be surprised if they made it a point to include him transitioning from bone to adamantium in the next film depending on its setting.

I know what you mean, but it would also be pretty disappointing considering they already made a movie basically just about that (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), which was already superfluous after the explanation we got in X2: X-Men United, which was a great movie. Everyone gets it, Wolverine doesn't need another origin story; he doesn't even need as much as he has.

Something I really liked about how they used Wolverine in 'DoFP is that, despite being a central character, he's really not the main character. He swings between being the strait-man and the comic relief, but he's still never the character that you're really concerned with. he's just there in service of the story, and the story's really about Xavier, Mystique, and Magneto. Which I think really works, for all of them.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I know what you mean, but it would also be pretty disappointing considering they already made a movie basically just about that (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), which was already superfluous after the explanation we got in X2: X-Men United, which was a great movie. Everyone gets it, Wolverine doesn't need another origin story; he doesn't even need as much as he has.

Something I really liked about how they used Wolverine in 'DoFP is that, despite being a central character, he's really not the main character. He swings between being the strait-man and the comic relief, but he's still never the character that you're really concerned with. he's just there in service of the story, and the story's really about Xavier, Mystique, and Magneto. Which I think really works, for all of them.

He was definitely scaled back and you could tell that he wasn't there so much as the main character who goes back to the past, but more as the most developed character from the original cast. Like it could've been anyone, it just happened to be Wolverine they chose to represent them.

If this was really suppose to be a way to pass the torch to new cast, whilst bringing Wolverine into the new franchise then i'm for it. Provided they continue with a strong use of the cast beyond Wolverine, Mags and Xavier, that they seemed to show with this film.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

He was definitely scaled back and you could tell that he wasn't there so much as the main character who goes back to the past, but more as the most developed character from the original cast. Like it could've been anyone, it just happened to be Wolverine they chose to represent them.

If this was really suppose to be a way to pass the torch to new cast, whilst bringing Wolverine into the new franchise then i'm for it. Provided they continue with a strong use of the cast beyond Wolverine, Mags and Xavier, that they seemed to show with this film.

to me, Xavier, Mags, and Mystique are the main characters. Beast is relevant, Wolverine is relevant (both of which are cool), but it's really those three that have made these last couple of movies what they were (and were the most compelling in the first trilogy, too).

That they've made Mystique one of the most central characters, on par with Xavier and Magneto, is one of the coolest things about the story. Beast's part in it has been likewise cool, if not quite as central; and am I the only one intrigued by the re-imagining they've built up with Havok?

..not to mention that they can pretty much start fresh with any character at this point, this is possibly the most interested I've been in these movies since in the last ten years.

Aquaneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

What if the next Wolverine film is a more proper retelling of Weapon X ?

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaneto said:

with Mystique being his "rescuer" i think its more likely that Logan will get his claws from Apocalypse... and be made into Death...

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there will be 3 mutant factions that will have to team up to go against Apocalypse and his Horsemen

Xavier will form his X-MEN: Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast...

Magneto will have his Brotherhood: Toad, Ink, Quicksilver?

and finally...

Mystique might be the one to assemble X-FORCE: With Wolverine and maybe even a proper Deadpool

Since there are rumours that X-Force is something FOX is interested in doing, it makes sense to me that Stryker's "Team X" in the Origins film might go rogue and take on a new role as X-FORCE under Mystique's guidance.

Wolverine might still undergo the "procedure" as it was his choice in the Origins movie. Lets not forget that this wolverine does not have the memories and experiences of the future wolverine and therefore wldnt know any better.

Aquaneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

@aquaneto said:

with Mystique being his "rescuer" i think its more likely that Logan will get his claws from Apocalypse... and be made into Death...

Yeah I see that happening too. Nevermind what I said lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.