Days of Future Past

#1 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Well fellow x-fans i would like to point out a very special fact today. After going through my old comics...(which i occasionally do) i came across my Day's of future past collection. now i started flipping through it and whatnot when i came across something...days of future past took place on a set date...2012....which is this year haha. In days of future past we see fairly older x-men, an adult franklin richards and rachel gray. I just thought i would point that out since Days of future past came out in 1981... now the x-men HAVE aged since then. most noticeably, kitty pryde who was in her early to mid teens back then but now is in her early to mid twenties now...(23 to be exact i think). but they havn't aged as rapidly as their days of future past counterparts for obvious reasons. what do you all think about this? i find it very interesting

#2 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's annoying but I understand why they or the fans wouldn't want characters to age or die due to the nature of the stories writers want to tell, the stories fans want to read and legality surrounding character creation.

So, I think in terms of the Days of Future Past storyline, their ages were increased, a random date in the future was picked to give the story legitimacy but we may as well consider it to be an alternate reality where major characters aged (unlike the normal timeline where it's usually the minor characters) because they wanted the story to have dramatic weight. The nature of copyright law somewhat means that the comic companies have a vested interested in keeping these characters young and in circulation, as allowing a hero to die, letting the name, recognizable likeness, costume design or logo get too undefined could be a business problem (http://superherolaw.com/superhero-intellectual-property/). Major changes really stick in superhero land, and aging a character past where their prime would mean a new replacement would need to be cultivated which is annoying to do for marketing purposes.

Personally, I'd like to see Storm die or retire and have a new hero follow in her foot steps with similar powers but new backstory and character design. Keeps things fresh.

#3 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: agreed on the storm subject ad yeah, i just found it to be interesting that they picked that date and well..here we are haha, it's something to compare

#4 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Powerzone789 said:

@PhoenixoftheTides: agreed on the storm subject ad yeah, i just found it to be interesting that they picked that date and well..here we are haha, it's something to compare

I didn't meant to single out Storm for character death; I really meant that all of the older characters should get rebooted, retconned or replaced by the next generation. Daken should replace Wolverine, Bucky should take over Captain America's job, etc.

#5 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Powerzone789 said:

I didn't meant to single out Storm for character death; I really meant that all of the older characters should get rebooted, retconned or replaced by the next generation. Daken should replace Wolverine, Bucky should take over Captain America's job, etc.

yeah that actually makes perfect sense, they don't have to cancel out the big heroes all together, but gradually and slowely push the next generation in to the bigger spot lights...it adds for more and better character development and lets us enjoy the next generation of younger heroes at the same time. I think its time for the next generation to push out some as influential characters as captain america and iron man, but really no characters in the past decade have really stuck

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.