Cyclops could still bite the big one at the end of AvX.

#1 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

So, for a while, it was painfully obvious that Cyclops was going to die.

Which Phoenix host hasn't died?

The AvX series was making Cyclops and his allies outright villains. The series was hinting, if not explicitly stating, that when all of the other hosts went rogue, which they were, he would be the one to have to stop them, and save the Avengers. Could he die in the process? Namor will invade Wakanda, in upcoming issues, and Emma will battle Scott. There is also a problem with Colossus and the force, but that could be it's own thread. And if that doesn't happen, then teasers have revealed that later in the series, there will be only one host. Who would be a better host than the series' main antagonist?

Later, when Marvel NOW was unveiled, along with this image for the upcoming Uncanny Avengers series, people began to think that Cyclops would manage to survive, despite being propped up as Public Enemy #1 by the writers.

As you can see, Cyclops will join a racially-diverse (mutants) team of Avengers.

But, my theory is that the Cyclops who you see in the Avengers up there, is not this Cyclops

but this Cyclops

I love visual aids <3

Anyway, Marvel NOW is also bringing another ongoing to the table. All-New X-Men. No, I'm serious, that's the title.

This team will consist of the Original Five X-Men, who will, for some reason, settle in our timeline. Permanently? Maybe. Nonetheless, they'll be here, and as you can see, at least one of them is on the team. Jean Grey is in the top right corner. I believe that the Avengers' Cyclops will be the 60's version, who has traveled to the present, only to discover that he is dead in the future. Because Cyclops will die at the end, or near the end, of AvX.

#2 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

That is actually a pretty good theory, but I seriously don't want it to happen. But none the less, a great theory.

The time displaced Scott actually makes sense.

#3 Edited by Dman1366 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightcrawler23: That picture is just a promo for the new books. Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, and All-New X-Men. They each represent something new and different. There is no way in hell that Cyclops would take orders from anyone other than Xavier. Also, Avengers don't give any care towards mutant problems unless it benifits themselves. That would rub the original 5 the wrong way. I have a feeling that they are going to do their own thing, maybe even work/learn at JGSHL, since they will be so young.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33466 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dman1366: Uncanny Avengers is specifically meant to be an amalgamation of the X-Men and the Avengers 
#5 Posted by Dman1366 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: really? that is lame.... i dont know how i feel about that

#6 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dman1366: Young Cyclops could be an Avenger. He hasn't seen what our Cyclops has. He isn't as cynical. He still believes in mankind. Even if he doesn't, he might join the team to protect Jean.

#7 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Dman1366: Uncanny Avengers is specifically meant to be an amalgamation of the X-Men and the Avengers

True but so far the only confirmed members are Cap, Thor, Wolvy, Spidey, Rogue and Havok (who is going to become one of Marvels big players). I can't see this team working with Cap, Cyke and Havok who are all leaders in their own right. Havok especially won't be able to shine in the shadow of his older brother.

IMO Cyclops will be the one fights against the "evil" Phoenix 5 (although I don't know where Illyana and Piotr will stand) and will end up in critical condition i.e. a coma. This will redeem Cyclops while also making Cap realise that he was wrong and that he needs to do more for the mutants.

On a side note Cyclops should make that jetpack a permanent addition to his costume :)

#8 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

Havok (who is going to become one of Marvels big players).

He'll be like a replacement Cyclops now that Scott will end up being vilified.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33466 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

@Osian2 said:

Havok (who is going to become one of Marvels big players).

He'll be like a replacement Cyclops now that Scott will end up being vilified.

yea thats what I think
#10 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover for Uncanny Avengers. Looks like Cyke won't be a member but don't worry Havok seems to be doing his best Cyclops impression he even looks a bit like Bullseye. Does this mean Rogue will leave Legacy and Hvok will leave X-factor? I'm really not a fan of this roster.

#11 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see Scott dying from this event though possible, but he'll probably be emotionally crippled for a while or physically damaged.

I can see Pax Utopia not being what it is now at the end of the event and Cyke still there looking at what he built and worked for gone destroyed maybe in light of this event become a villain for the UA down the road. Who knows what remender has down the road.

#12 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

I don't see Scott dying from this event though possible, but he'll probably be emotionally crippled for a while or physically damaged.

I can see Pax Utopia not being what it is now at the end of the event and Cyke still there looking at what he built and worked for gone destroyed maybe in light of this event become a villain for the UA down the road. Who knows what remender has down the road.

I agree, he will probably be in a near death state i.e. Rogue or Cyborg from the Teen Titans. I'd hate for him to be villified and die just like that, it would really be a missed opportunity. He has the potential to become a great villain if written properly and it would be awesome to have him become a Villain so big that the Uncanny Avengers would face him.

#13 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

The cover for Uncanny Avengers. Looks like Cyke won't be a member but don't worry Havok seems to be doing his best Cyclops impression he even looks a bit like Bullseye. Does this mean Rogue will leave Legacy and Hvok will leave X-factor? I'm really not a fan of this roster.

God I hate that art.

#14 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

Yeah. Sorry again, Rogue. How the hell is Rogue supposed to be "the Wolverine of the team" when he's standing right infront of her ? And in that hideous costume no less ? I'll wait for the rest of the roster, but so far, this doesn't look good. I also suppose that Wolverine is immune to character redesigns ? >.>

#15 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane:I don't unerstand why Rogue is going back to an older costume, I thought she was done with her angst phase? Wolverine only really changes the colour on his costume really I don't know how they could change it. Scarlet Witch has lost the cape and now looks a bit like a red "Black Widow", Thor looks a bit "Darker" and Cap looks more like the Cap from the movies. Cyclops + Bullseye = Havoks new costume

#16 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@AgeofHurricane:I don't unerstand why Rogue is going back to an older costume, I thought she was done with her angst phase? Wolverine only really changes the colour on his costume really I don't know how they could change it. Scarlet Witch has lost the cape and now looks a bit like a red "Black Widow", Thor looks a bit "Darker" and Cap looks more like the Cap from the movies. Cyclops + Bullseye = Havoks new costume

They look silly.

#18 Edited by gambit75 (57 posts) - - Show Bio
    • I've been reading AvX so far and I've havn't seen Scott do anything remotely evil , so how the hell can he be called a Villain.
    •  Plus he isn't going to die there still a monthly comic called Uncanny X-men, one of Marvel top selling titles,  which he is a lead character.  

#19 Posted by Indianmagik (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Or they just may have cyke stop the other P5 take control of the full phoenix force and just go join jean in the white hot room, while 60's cyke gets to start everything all over for him

#20 Edited by God_Spawn (37899 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think this theory was all that uncommon? Still, I doubt they are gonna kill Scott. I doubt they will even make him a villain after this, especially if Cap is forming an X-Men/Avengers team because Scott was right.

#21 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

How much you wanna bet that this is being done because Fox won't give up the X-men movie rights.

#22 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I didn't think this theory was all that uncommon? Still, I doubt they are gonna kill Scott. I doubt they will even make him a villain after this, especially if Cap is forming an X-Men/Avengers team because Scott was right.

To a degree scott was right, but we haven't seen the end of the event yet.

#23 Edited by God_Spawn (37899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079: The whole point of Cap making the Uncanny Avengers team is cause after walking a mile in Cyclops' shoes he feels like making a team of Avengers and X-Men to try and bridge the gap and ease tension so to speak.

#24 Posted by God_Spawn (37899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079:

"Back in 'AvX' #1, Captain America and Cyclops had a pointed conversation before fists started flying about how, whenever a threat to mutants has arisen, the Avengers have seemed pretty remote. Cap articulated his position -- but in the fallout from 'AVX,' Cap and the Avengers, having gone through a bunch of stuff and having walked a mile in the X-Men's shoes, are feeling like there's some truth in what Cyclops had to say," Brevoort told CBR News. "So the Uncanny Avengers squad is being put together as a direct response to that, as a proactive attempt to provide support of the civil rights of the world's mutant citizens, and to provide physical and superhuman aid in those circumstances where either mutants are threatened by non-mutants, regular humans are threatened by mutants, and every other iteration in-between.
#25 Edited by cbishop (8219 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make sense that with AvX, Marvel has written themselves into a corner, pretty much portraying mutants as "outside the law." Once that gauntlet is thrown, you don't shake hands and say "Good game" at the end of the day. Someone has to take the fall. If Cyke has become the vilified leader in AvX, he is the logical choice to sacrifice himself in some manner, so that both sides can come out as heroes.

I'll venture a guess that after having to fight the rest of the Phoenix 5, Cyclops, having all of the Phoenix Force, will have a moment of clarity. He'll see that the dream of peace and mutant equality that the X-Men started out with has gone horribly wrong, and do something drastic to restore it. Something like, say, bringing the younger, more idealistic X-Men from the past into the present, in order to effect more positive change.

Enter: Marvel NOW.

#26 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see Cyclops getting killed off and I really hate the way he is being made into the villian. As for Marvel/Disney combining Avengers and X-Men together to prevent Fox from using any new storylines in movies probable has some truth to it,
though I do see the formation of the Uncanny Avengers as a outgrowth of the current story line. Also lets face it many time the X-Men have assisted the Avengers but have the Avengers ever been there for the X-Men, No.

#27 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Hareil0079: The whole point of Cap making the Uncanny Avengers team is cause after walking a mile in Cyclops' shoes he feels like making a team of Avengers and X-Men to try and bridge the gap and ease tension so to speak.

I know what it's for and I read the news, I'm saying to a degree but also to a degree Capt. America is also right! but holding out to see the ending of this Event cause it seems the X-men are gonna lose big and come to a realization themselves!

#28 Posted by God_Spawn (37899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079: Of course they will. The whole cosmic deity and perfect utopia that crashes is so cliched.

#29 Posted by cbishop (8219 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex said:

I can't see Cyclops getting killed off and I really hate the way he is being made into the villian. As for Marvel/Disney combining Avengers and X-Men together to prevent Fox from using any new storylines in movies probable has some truth to it, though I do see the formation of the Uncanny Avengers as a outgrowth of the current story line. Also lets face it many time the X-Men have assisted the Avengers but have the Avengers ever been there for the X-Men, No.

If it has anything to do with the movies, it probably has more to do with having a legitimate reason to have X-characters show up in the phenomenally successful Avengers franchise.

#30 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Hareil0079: Of course they will. The whole cosmic deity and perfect utopia that crashes is so cliched.

Exactly, both sides are gonna learn a lesson! so even though cap is forming a new team doesn't mean that the X-men are totally correct, the avengers are correct to a degree themselves.

#31 Posted by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio

As others said, that promo is formed with members of different teams. 

And that's regular Cyclops. You can see classic Jean with the classic costume on that promo. If she maintains the classic costume, her team will maintain it, normally teams change costumes at the same time. 

And yeah, Cyclops is NOT going to be a villian after the event, they're OBVIOUSLY (it screams development on that direction) making him the most noble and stable of the Phoenix 5 so at the end when the others go wild, Cyclops is the one realizing what's wrong and helping to stop them with his own Phoenix Powers, which would redeem him from whatever he does (and he hasn't done anything evil, he even prevented Hawkeye from dying or even getting a single burnning scar) on the eyes of the Avengers to the point of Cap admiting he could be right in some points like Avengers working for the mutant cause in the future (Uncanny Avengers). And even the others can take the "I was possesed" card to maintain their hero status after this. If Wolverine can use it 2193781237899012 times, the Phoenix 5 can.

#32 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Some C list character with a long history of comics will die. When there's an event, it's always the C-list characters with a long history that dies. Some examples are Wasp,sentry, and night-crawler.

#33 Edited by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lokheit said:

As others said, that promo is formed with members of different teams. And that's regular Cyclops. You can see classic Jean with the classic costume on that promo. If she maintains the classic costume, her team will maintain it, normally teams change costumes at the same time. And yeah, Cyclops is NOT going to be a villian after the event, they're OBVIOUSLY (it screams development on that direction) making him the most noble and stable of the Phoenix 5 so at the end when the others go wild, Cyclops is the one realizing what's wrong and helping to stop them with his own Phoenix Powers, which would redeem him from whatever he does (and he hasn't done anything evil, he even prevented Hawkeye from dying or even getting a single burnning scar) on the eyes of the Avengers to the point of Cap admiting he could be right in some points like Avengers working for the mutant cause in the future (Uncanny Avengers). And even the others can take the "I was possesed" card to maintain their hero status after this. If Wolverine can use it 2193781237899012 times, the Phoenix 5 can.

It's been 7 vol. things are changing, last issue people were batting back and forth on his character this issue he showed some redemption for earlier of this event, who knows what act 3 holds, especially since it says "there can only be one" and you have an UXM vol. where him and emma are seemingly battling along with AvX#11 again I'm holding out to see if he ends up cracking or he changes tone and attack emma cause she is corrupted which in effect helps the Avengers, but who knows.

One thing i'm surprised no one has said this but I wouldn't be surprised if Cyke get's a some additional powersets after this event.

#34 Edited by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Flashpoint all over again would be an easy fix.

#35 Edited by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hareil0079 said:

@Lokheit said:

As others said, that promo is formed with members of different teams. And that's regular Cyclops. You can see classic Jean with the classic costume on that promo. If she maintains the classic costume, her team will maintain it, normally teams change costumes at the same time. And yeah, Cyclops is NOT going to be a villian after the event, they're OBVIOUSLY (it screams development on that direction) making him the most noble and stable of the Phoenix 5 so at the end when the others go wild, Cyclops is the one realizing what's wrong and helping to stop them with his own Phoenix Powers, which would redeem him from whatever he does (and he hasn't done anything evil, he even prevented Hawkeye from dying or even getting a single burnning scar) on the eyes of the Avengers to the point of Cap admiting he could be right in some points like Avengers working for the mutant cause in the future (Uncanny Avengers). And even the others can take the "I was possesed" card to maintain their hero status after this. If Wolverine can use it 2193781237899012 times, the Phoenix 5 can.

It's been 7 vol. things are changing, last issue people were batting back and forth on his character this issue he showed some redemption for earlier of this event, who knows what act 3 holds, especially since it says "there can only be one" and you have an UXM vol. where him and emma are seemingly battling along with AvX#11 again I'm holding out to see if he ends up cracking or he changes tone and attack emma cause she is corrupted which in effect helps the Avengers, but who knows.

One thing i'm surprised no one has said this but I wouldn't be surprised if Cyke get's a some additional powersets after this event.

Apparently the ability to see through solid matter because that new helmet he has clearly obstructs his vision. Really Marvel, we know that he's the first X-Man... we don't need a reminder on his face replacing his iconic visor! After a great costume like his current Phoenix one (I like it despite de Cywing with a thong jokes) , this other one... meh...
#36 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7853 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he gets the ever living sh!t beat out of him then I'm good.

#37 Posted by Dman1366 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

i feel bad for Cyke. His woman is cheating on him w/ Namor....

#38 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dman1366 said:

He's probably used to the women in his life kissing other men by now.

#39 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Osian2 said:

@Dman1366 said:

He's probably used to the women in his life kissing other men by now.

Yea, how many times in the past has wolverine kissed jean boldly infront of Scott, Inferno arc, Xtinction Agenda.. I'm sure theres more.

#40 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3215 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dman1366 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: really? that is lame.... i dont know how i feel about that

@Jonny_Anonymous

said:

Right On!!!!!! :-)

emma phoenix vs cyclops avx11

in a fight between those two.....cyclops all the way...will win

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.