Cyclops and Emma's relationship is over. Thoughts?

  • 64 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.com: Speaking of love, Cyclops and Emma Frost went through some rough times during Avengers Vs. X-Men. How does the fallout affect their relationship?

Brian Michael Bendis: The romance is done. They are not together anymore romantically. It's pretty hard to come back from what they went through in Avengers Vs. X-Men. Things were said, powers were stolen, and as we will discover in the very first issues of UNCANNY X-MEN, some things happen between them that cannot be taken back.

And because they are Scott and Emma, this breakup is going to take a while. And it's not going to be pretty, but fun to write.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/19683/marvel_now_qa_uncanny_x-men#ixzz2Bl7qO7nJ

What does everyone think? Are you sad that their relationship may be over?

Personally, I think it sucks. Scott and Emma worked so well together and helped each other evolve. One good thing that may come out of this is an improvement on Emma's character. IMO, she hasn't been written well lately, more specifically ever since Fraction's run. I think Gillen and AvX did some good things with her, but for the most part her character has lost some fizzle. This isn't surprising to me since a lot of female characters in comics tend to be handled poorly once they are put in a relationship. Hopefully, Bendis doesn't suck for once and is able to write something entertaining.

#2 Posted by God_Spawn (38111 posts) - - Show Bio

Same thing I said on the Emma board.

Quite honestly, I'm happy over this. Not yaaay happy, but relieved happy. I'm tired of all the wondering and waiting of what will happen between these two and getting irked about all of that wondering and waiting. Emma has been Scott's cheerleading shadow for far too long and as far as I'm concerned, Cyclops has acted like he has been single for some time. I think it gives both characters a fresh start, Emma is her own woman again, Scott has a new take on his character. The relationship hasn't been strong for awhile now too and we won't get Scott acting completely stoic and pushing everyone away then when she threatens to leave he cries like a biggity b*tch. And as for her, she won't just be his cheerleader or agreeing with him while making a few quips. It will be an interesting dynamic between them being on the same team while the relationship is done. And maybe, just maybe, since the couple is a favorite of all the higher ups, they could always pair them back up in the future. Whether it be in 2, 5 or 10 years. I won't get my hopes up but at least we can let the characters grow and be themselves without catering to each other anymore.

Moderator
#3 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy and unhappy. I mean I loved the two characters together at first. They were a fun new couple that brought out the best in one another - but like usual as time passes the love dies, or at least the exciting parts die haha. Emma Frost has been in Cyclops' shadow for a while now. It will be nice to see them working on the same team though broken up. I can definitely see Emma being quite spiteful through missions and making snide bitchy comments 24/7 and not agreeing with him. However, at the end of the day I can see them working together well because throughout everything they've both put the better of mutanthood (is that even a word?) before their relationship. That being said - I hope to see a new side of Emma, and hopefully the writers don't make it all about Cyclops.

#4 Posted by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

First Pete and Kitty and now Emma and Scott. It is a sad day, friends. The two best X-couples are no more. -Cries in a corner.-

#5 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (315 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG they were the couple i love to hate now what am i going to do....and i cant see scott with another girl or emma with another man

#6 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3649 posts) - - Show Bio

teen jean could get them back together by helping scott not go totally bad
#7 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

teen jean could get them back together by helping scott not go totally bad

Uh that'd be illegal!

#8 Posted by imperial90 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it sad myself, it means no Ruby Summers in the future :(

#9 Edited by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe emma realized that she really loves namor. so there is a chance that emma and namor will be the new couple.

While Cyclops, after seeing teen jean, realizes that its still jean that he truly loves and feels a bit guilty in her relationship with emma.

And also, this may be a great opportunity for Wolverine to hit on teen jean. but of course, cylops would not let that happen because its way too pedophile.

In the end, there would be a love triangle between Cyclops, Wolverine, and teen jean.

#10 Edited by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt the same about this as I did over T'Challa and Ororo. I was disappointed. When dealing with relationships between heroes and super powered beings in general you have these characters with amazing powers and abilities and often mountains of responsibility. Most of them are highly physical combatants as well. To me, there fights SHOULD be much more extreme than the fights we normal people have with our significant others, because these are extreme people. All it seems to take though is one tiff and they're done. How much love was really there to begin with if that's all it takes? It all feels so contrived to me.

Storm and Panther for example are two people who are supposed to be deeply in love with one and other and have even engaged in that age old tradition of matrimony, but when sh** hits the fan you're telling me they can't avoid pummeling each other??? THAT WAS THE ONLY OPTION??? and that after they do fight they can find no forgiveness or quarter for their significant other? WHERE IS THE LOVE?!?!

Scott and Emma I felt the betrayal was more direct. Scott pretty much said "screw you emma, I'm going to beat you down and take your powers." However, she was clearly out of her mind and he was getting there as they both tried to control an extraterrestrial force of the highest magnitude that neither of them were built for. One would think that if there was any gumption to the relationship, they'd be able to forgive one an other for....

BEING POSSESSED BY A FREAKING ALIEN FIREBIRD WITH NEAR LIMITLESS POWER!!!

Marvel isn't very good with relationships. They love to break them up and never seem to do it in a sensible or realistic fashion. Maybe (probably) it's because a realistic fashion isn't exciting enough. IDK. I'm just relieved when a relationship ends with out it getting "sold" to Mephisto and the whole world getting mind wiped.

#11 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

So, Scott has TP now :P?

#12 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3649 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Scott and Emma I felt the betrayal was more direct. Scott pretty much said "screw you emma, I'm going to beat you down and take your powers." However, she was clearly out of her mind and he was getting there as they both tried to control an extraterrestrial force of the highest magnitude that neither of them were built for. One would think that if there was any gumption to the relationship, they'd be able to forgive one an other for....

BEING POSSESSED BY A FREAKING ALIEN FIREBIRD WITH NEAR LIMITLESS POWER!!!

Marvel isn't very good with relationships. They love to break them up and never seem to do it in a sensible or realistic fashion. Maybe (probably) it's because a realistic fashion isn't exciting enough. IDK. I'm just relieved when a relationship ends with out it getting "sold" to Mephisto and the whole world getting mind wiped.

yeah something bad had to go wrong because of the phoenix force again

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Bittersweet, Emma was being written as a poor female sidekick so this will be good for her, and I think Scott can and will stand without her.

#15 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Well maybe she will go back to the Hellfire club, she's a cool character though, I prefered her as a villain though. Then all we have to do is get rid of Magneto and build on that.I'd like to go back to the good old days .

#16 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this may mean peace for the Emma and Jean fans. It will be glorious.

#17 Posted by Skaddix (3117 posts) - - Show Bio

You see that is the intellectual argument but the emotional factor is what leads to splitsville.

#19 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not pleased at all, they were the couple I loved to hate. They worked. Scott was good for her and in her own way she was good for him.

#20 Posted by PassionFlower (960 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Goddess_of_Chaos said:

OMG they were the couple i love to hate now what am i going to do....and i cant see scott with another girl or emma with another man

I said the same thing.

#21 Posted by juicefacekilla (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I for am glad that the relationship is over. Even though I know Emma Frost has been an X-Man since all the way back in Generation X, I've still never felt comfortable with her being on the "good" side and have always been suspicious of her.

Of course, I'm not a fan of the current Cyclops either.

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

When i see Emma strutting her former independence like a bad-b*tch again, then i'll be happy, but until then, she's still his handbag.

#23 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

I felt the same about this as I did over T'Challa and Ororo. I was disappointed. When dealing with relationships between heroes and super powered beings in general you have these characters with amazing powers and abilities and often mountains of responsibility. Most of them are highly physical combatants as well. To me, there fights SHOULD be much more extreme than the fights we normal people have with our significant others, because these are extreme people. All it seems to take though is one tiff and they're done. How much love was really there to begin with if that's all it takes? It all feels so contrived to me.

Storm and Panther for example are two people who are supposed to be deeply in love with one and other and have even engaged in that age old tradition of matrimony, but when sh** hits the fan you're telling me they can't avoid pummeling each other??? THAT WAS THE ONLY OPTION??? and that after they do fight they can find no forgiveness or quarter for their significant other? WHERE IS THE LOVE?!?!

Scott and Emma I felt the betrayal was more direct. Scott pretty much said "screw you emma, I'm going to beat you down and take your powers." However, she was clearly out of her mind and he was getting there as they both tried to control an extraterrestrial force of the highest magnitude that neither of them were built for. One would think that if there was any gumption to the relationship, they'd be able to forgive one an other for....

BEING POSSESSED BY A FREAKING ALIEN FIREBIRD WITH NEAR LIMITLESS POWER!!!

Marvel isn't very good with relationships. They love to break them up and never seem to do it in a sensible or realistic fashion. Maybe (probably) it's because a realistic fashion isn't exciting enough. IDK. I'm just relieved when a relationship ends with out it getting "sold" to Mephisto and the whole world getting mind wiped.

I preached on multiple forums and I'll preach it here, If their last names aren't ending with "fantastic/richards" then it's a relationship that's bound to fail.

#24 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

I preached on multiple forums and I'll preach it here, If their last names aren't ending with "fantastic/richards" then it's a relationship that's bound to fail.

lol, and half the time Marvel keeps them on the rocks too. Medusalith and Blackagar have had a pretty good run too. I think the only way a couple get's to stay together in comics is if they're already married when they get introduced.

#25 Posted by Dernman (15250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@Hareil0079 said:

I preached on multiple forums and I'll preach it here, If their last names aren't ending with "fantastic/richards" then it's a relationship that's bound to fail.

lol, and half the time Marvel keeps them on the rocks too. Medusalith and Blackagar have had a pretty good run too. I think the only way a couple get's to stay together in comics is if they're already married when they get introduced.

*coughpolygamistcough* :p

Online
#26 Posted by Blacharrt1 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad Emma and Scott are over; Storm and Cyclop ftw

#27 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blacharrt1 said:

So glad Emma and Scott are over; Storm and Cyclop ftw

Well that is a.. Unique pairing...

#28 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14964 posts) - - Show Bio

They're splitting up?

Online
#29 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

God pleas don,t let emma do anything fishy with Namor out of spite.

Cross fingers that emma is handled well in the future.

Leave jean and scott as a couple dead teen jean is not a crutch for present scott.

#30 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't trust Bendis. At all. So I'm not pleased in general.

#31 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Their relationship dominated X-books for too long now, this will shift the focus to characters that have languished in the background for way too long.

#32 Posted by poisonfleur (3071 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Madame_Mist said:

I think this may mean peace for the Emma and Jean fans. It will be glorious.

Peace? Peace was never an option (puts on Magneto helmet and looks menacing). xP

HAHHAHAAA^^^

#33 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Madame_Mist said:

I think this may mean peace for the Emma and Jean fans. It will be glorious.

Peace? Peace was never an option (puts on Magneto helmet and looks menacing). xP

lol

#34 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3600 posts) - - Show Bio

Predictable and boring. Marvel's new course seems to be ending as many relationships as possible when the real challenge in a relationship and when writing one is exploring how each person puts in the work to stay together. Their relationship started out with a lot of possibility that went nowhere mainly due to the writers, so hard to be that happy over that.

#35 Posted by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Madame_Mist said:

I think this may mean peace for the Emma and Jean fans. It will be glorious.

Peace? Peace was never an option (puts on Magneto helmet and looks menacing). xP

HAHHAHAAA^^^

Would potentially be the best scene ever.

#36 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Kill em all Cykes! Kill em all!

#37 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Predictable and boring. Marvel's new course seems to be ending as many relationships as possible when the real challenge in a relationship and when writing one is exploring how each person puts in the work to stay together. Their relationship started out with a lot of possibility that went nowhere mainly due to the writers, so hard to be that happy over that.

I definitely agree with this! It just seems like Marvel is splitting up couples just for shock value and it's getting annoying now since you have writers who try to explore the relationships only to have another writer break them up before they got further into the relationship.  I wish Marvel would let the couples stay together and write more stories about couples trying to make the relationship work instead of breaking them up.
#38 Posted by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

FINALLY BITCHY EMMA IS GOING TO BE BACK YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

#39 Posted by KDarkholme (337 posts) - - Show Bio

I dis-liked them both either way so breaking them up means nothing to me. I'm sure the writers will pull out some crap and make them both find other people to date.

#40 Edited by Veitha (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@Madame_Mist said:

I think this may mean peace for the Emma and Jean fans. It will be glorious.

Peace? Peace was never an option (puts on Magneto helmet and looks menacing). xP

LOOOOL

#41 Posted by RubyVisor (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm upset. I always thought they were THE couple in Marvel Comics. The power couple, both making each other better and stronger as people. Although, I do take some positives from it. Scott was always a commitment guy, finding one girl, and sticking with her for a while, while Emma was the kind to use sex and her seduction as a weapon. It'll be interesting to see what they do with my favorite superhero since he usually doesn't stay single long. I wonder if Jean will be coming back, or (and this is a long shot) maybe a Scott and Magik pairing? She seems insanely loyal to him and his cause, and she's been his go to woman as far as getting things done. My inner fanboy wants to see a Cyke/Rogue pairing, although it would never happen.

#42 Posted by McKlayn (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

@RubyVisor said:

I'm upset. I always thought they were THE couple in Marvel Comics. The power couple, both making each other better and stronger as people. Although, I do take some positives from it. Scott was always a commitment guy, finding one girl, and sticking with her for a while, while Emma was the kind to use sex and her seduction as a weapon. It'll be interesting to see what they do with my favorite superhero since he usually doesn't stay single long. I wonder if Jean will be coming back, or (and this is a long shot) maybe a Scott and Magik pairing? She seems insanely loyal to him and his cause, and she's been his go to woman as far as getting things done. My inner fanboy wants to see a Cyke/Rogue pairing, although it would never happen.

Sue and Reed are the Marvel power couple End of story :-p however who ever is with scott seems to be one half of the X men power couple, and your right he doesn't stay single very long. I would like (though i am 110 percent sure it's not happening at least soon) see him and storm together just for shits and giggles, but Magik would be really interesting although shes like (at least used to be) like 10 or more years younger then him lol. And Jean is coming back just as a teenager so i PRAY that they don't do that, it's just you know eww

#43 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4851 posts) - - Show Bio
Am I the only one who wants them to stay single, and kiss frogs for a long time until they fall for each other again? (+)
#44 Posted by Mutant God (3057 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe in "All New X-Men" Past Jean will help Emma and Scott get back together like Future Jean did in "New X-Men"

#45 Posted by McKlayn (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

Am I the only one who wants them to stay single, and kiss frogs for a long time until they fall for each other again? (+)

i would dig that

#46 Posted by TerryBogard2014 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

She admitted to having a mental affair with namor.he literally chocked the absolute **** out of her for the phoenix.who would really be surprised by this

#47 Posted by Lokheit (492 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm mad at Bendis, specially for saying it has been fun for him to write it.

And they must be together again, Ruby Summers depends on that!! O.O

They were my favorite couple, 2 of my 3 favourite characters (and the other one is Nightcrawler who is dead) and the couple that best complemented each other and made each other evolve the most.

They better reunite them. My only hope is that Benids loves to undo all the development he does when he leaves a book (as the Wasp and second Antman about that...) so maybe there is some event that made them realize how much they need each other... and marry!! Please?

#48 Posted by Gotham's Dark Knight (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I kind of like it. Scott has really only been with two girls. Now he can find a new partner to have stories with. Plus, now Emma won't be tied down by being Scott's side-kick. There's one thing I know. I would keep an eye on Wolverine. We all know how he likes to try and take guy's girls.

#49 Posted by God_Spawn (38111 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

Am I the only one who wants them to stay single, and kiss frogs for a long time until they fall for each other again? (+)

Nope. I'm right there with you. I don't get why people can't let characters be single for awhile. As soon as they get out of a relationship, it always comes to who will they be shipped with next. The Uncanny title hasn't and won't be released for another 2-3 months and people are already back on the idea that Emma is gonna be with Namor or Wolverine. And the whole Scott will go after teen Jean idea is just nonsense and garbage. And time moves slow in comics, it's not like as soon say when Emma will be broken up with Scott, she will be in Namor's bed in the following month or Jean will come back or Scott will have a secret affair with Psylocke because she is not Uncanny X-Men's team. Let them be single, fly on their own for a bit and see what happens and there is always a possibility they will come back to each other, considering how popular they are as a couple with some of Marvel's higher ups.

Moderator
#50 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not so much them breaking up that bothers me as is the writer who will be chronicling the event. While I believe he will do good by Scott, its Emma's character that will be decimated. Give me a writer who respects development by other colleagues and I won't be so cynical about this.

Emma is about to be presented in a far worse light than she ever has been before. I hope I am wrong, but I am pretty confident I'm not -- Bendis' track record is my proof.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.