Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Curse of the X-women?

• 63 results
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I just don't get it... Plenty of the women of X-men seem much more capable of holding their own solo. Yet we instead we get a Gambit solo, a Hawkeye solo, multiple Wolverine solos, and apparently a Magneto solo... Not to discredit any of them ( because they are good titles. ) But some other these women in X-men are way more capable of holding their own solos than some of these guys.

Storm would have made more of a successful solo than Black Panther.

(And not to cut another woman down, but) Rogue would have made a more successful solo than Captain/Ms./Warbird/Binary/Marvel.

I could even see a Magik solo series with her current look, popularity, and Buster Blade.

I guess the current X-force is the equivalent to a Psylocke solo. So I take some comfort in that. But still..

Why do X-woman have this curse over them where they can't get their own solos? All the others can: She-hulk, Red She-hulk, Captain Marvel, Elektra, Alias, etc..

There is no excuse, because with the right creative team, even Hawkeye (The Michelle to the Avenger's Destiny's Child) can be awesome.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'd love to see solo titles from multiple X-Men. Magneto surprisingly got one so we'll see how that turns out. I'd love to see a Cyclops solo too because he's my favorite X-Man. As for X-Women I'd definitely love to see solo titles for some of them. Marvel has so many random and unnecessary titles going on there should be no problem replacing them for X-solo's.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GrenadeFlow

I just don't get it... Plenty of the women of X-men seem much more capable of holding their own solo. Yet we instead we get a Gambit solo, a Hawkeye solo, multiple Wolverine solos, and apparently a Magneto solo... Not to discredit any of them ( because they are good titles. ) But some other these women in X-men are way more capable of holding their own solos than some of these guys.

(And not to cut another woman down, but) Rogue would have made a more successful solo than Captain/Ms./Warbird/Binary/Marvel.

I could even see a Magik solo series with her current look, popularity, and Buster Blade.

I guess the current X-force is the equivalent to a Psylocke solo. So I take some comfort in that. But still..

Why do X-woman have this curse over them where they can't get their own solos? All the others can: She-hulk, Red She-hulk, Captain Marvel, Elektra, Alias, etc..

There is no excuse, because with the right creative team,

even Hawkeye

(The Michelle to the Avenger's Destiny's Child) can be awesome.

That point is BS considering BP's solo was selling more than Storm's Mini when both were going on at the same time, you need facts to back up points you know.

Maybe X females don't get solo's because no one really wants them besides a few people online

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow:
    1) Comparing a 4 issue forced and rushed rectoned love story mini series to another character's full solo series is unfair. When is the last time a mini was compared to a solo??? Never.
    2) World's Apart wasn't a Storm solo. It's an X-men arc focused around Storm.
    3) Storm has had more exposure and Popularity (TV, Video Games, Movies, Media, Cross-overs, Books,to even Breast Cancer adds with She-Hulk & Catwoman etc) to Africa's knockoff Batman.
    4) Many Storm fans on this site and plently others like cv own many Black Panther, Fantastic Four, and X-men Comics because they focus on Storm. So Sales isn't an issues.
    5) The sales for when Storm became an Avenger did Great even though the arc and Story were terrible. It made big news.
    6) Every time she is matched against DC's Leading Lady Wonder Woman in polls Storm wins Every Time.
    7) Many, Many, Many, people only know who Black Panther is because he married Storm during the Civil War. There marrige actually boosted his sales.
    8) For many recent yeas Marvel has had the Avengers stand on top of the X-men's popularity from arcs being stolen, popular X-men being played in Avenger's titles, and the minimizing of characters. Only recently have things felt "Back on track for all the X-men" and that's being generous.

Get YOUR facts together. I could get PLENTY of people on CV who agree.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see solo titles from multiple X-Men. Magneto surprisingly got one so we'll see how that turns out. I'd love to see a Cyclops solo too because he's my favorite X-Man. As for X-Women I'd definitely love to see solo titles for some of them. Marvel has so many random and unnecessary titles going on there should be no problem replacing them for X-solo's.

As much as I like Cyclops and Emma. I feel they are too much in the middle of the X-drama to hone their own titles. Which begs the Question-- How is Magneto getting his own Solo??? But I guess if he is going to be a villain, that makes sense. Especially, since Rogue and Wanda are now dead.. I will always cheer for anytime an X-men get's a solo-- but can we get some lady ones? I only really read women focused titles. #secretpleasure

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow:

1) Comparing a 4 issue forced and rushed rectoned love story mini series to another character's full solo series is unfair. When is the last time a mini was compared to a solo???

Never.

3) Storm has had more exposure and Popularity (TV, Video Games, Movies, Media, Cross-overs, Books,to even Breast Cancer adds with She-Hulk & Catwoman etc) to Africa's knockoff Batman.

4)

Many

Storm fans on this site and plently others like cv own many Black Panther, Fantastic Four, and X-men Comics because they focus on Storm. So Sales isn't an issues.

5) The sales for when Storm became an Avenger did Great even though the arc and Story were terrible. It made big news.

6) Every time she is matched against DC's Leading Lady Wonder Woman in polls Storm wins

Every Time

7) Many, Many, Many, people only know who Black Panther is because he married Storm during the Civil War. There marrige actually boosted his sales.

8) For many recent yeas Marvel has had the Avengers stand on top of the X-men's popularity from arcs being stolen, popular X-men being played in Avenger's titles, and the minimizing of characters. Only recently have things felt "Back on track for all the X-men" and that's

being generous.

Non of those points prove she can carry a book.

Obviously the marriage boosted the black panther sales but that wasn't even his longest run.

I could argue that Black Panther has had more exposure in recent years than storm but that would be useless and pointless because media exposure doesn't automatically mean good comic sales. Storm has no history of selling so you really have no point

abaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By abaldo

storms just amazing

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

As much as I like Cyclops and Emma. I feel they are too much in the middle of the X-drama to hone their own titles. Which begs the Question-- How is Magneto getting his own Solo??? But I guess if he is going to be a villain, that makes sense. Especially, since Rogue and Wanda are now dead.. I will always cheer for anytime an X-men get's a solo-- but can we get some lady ones? I only really read women focused titles. #secretpleasure

I don't think Marvel cares enough to give readers any solo x-titles, let alone a female one. Saying that, I'm honestly shocked that we're getting a Magneto solo because it just seems like it's coming out of no where. I'd love to see a Rogue solo because her abilities make it interesting enough. Scarlett Witch, though mostly an Avenger rather than X-figure, would make for an awesome title. Magik could be a mix of action, adventure, magic, and mystery, hers actually interests me the most. If the REAL Jean Grey were still alive, I'd love to see a solo from her. I know Storm has had a few mini-series that I gotta pick up and read.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

See, if there were a solo about any of these characters, I would at least give it a chance. As you say, they are all great characters.

But, as you say, Psylocke sort of got her own book, and it just wasn't that good. Rogue basically had one, but again, just not that great. I would hope that if Brian Wood had a good Storm story, he would put it in X-Men. I would give any of those characters, and many others a chance, but for most X-men characters (including Wolverine) solo books just seems superfluous.

With the Avengers, part of the idea is that all of the characters are from their own different kinds of stories, but (with rare exception) the X-men characters are all, well, X-men characters. It's like having a Human Torch series, you could probably do a good one, but why not just have that story in Fantastic 4?

hey, did you know that Magik was the first X-man after Wolverine to get her own series? I thought that was cool.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By numi

I keep trying to give female solo books a chance but honestly their stories tend to disintegrate on me very quickly. Call that a failing of the writers or the artists perhaps as if either are good, I'll keep buying, when both are bad, I'll avoid it like the plague, even if I like the character.

That being said, very few of the x-women are interesting enough to hold my attention for an open ended solo series. Call it a point of taste but I couldn't care less about Storm... Rachel, I would give a chance as I find her very interesting but I would expect that they would handicap her (or any female solo title) by spending as little money as possible = poor writers and bad art. That alone would make it a self fulfilling prophecy of low sales and a quick cancellation.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's not a curse, most of them can't carry a solo.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur said:

@grenadeflow:

1) Comparing a 4 issue forced and rushed rectoned love story mini series to another character's full solo series is unfair. When is the last time a mini was compared to a solo???

Never.

4)

Many

Storm fans on this site and plently others like cv own many Black Panther, Fantastic Four, and X-men Comics because they focus on Storm. So Sales isn't an issues.

6) Every time she is matched against DC's Leading Lady Wonder Woman in polls Storm wins

Every Time

8) For many recent yeas Marvel has had the Avengers stand on top of the X-men's popularity from arcs being stolen, popular X-men being played in Avenger's titles, and the minimizing of characters. Only recently have things felt "Back on track for all the X-men" and that's

being generous.

Non of those points prove she can carry a book.

Obviously the marriage boosted the black panther sales but that wasn't even his longest run.

I could argue that Black Panther has had more exposure in recent years than storm but that would be useless and pointless because media exposure doesn't automatically mean good comic sales. Storm has no history of selling so you really have no point

When it comes to Solos-- YES! Storm doesn't have a history of sales. Because Marvel has only given her two minis. One in the 90s and one to explain her's and Black Panther's rushed & force romance.
    But to say Storm doesn't have good sales is complete BS! Considering anytime she is featured in ANYTHING-- comics, teams, games, movies, toys, shows, etc sales are automatically boosted. With that being said she deserves an awesome writer and creative team for a solo.

Many people have said they aren't buying MVC3 if Storm, Magneto and Sentinel don't come back.
    Some people have said on Bryan Singer's twitter that they aren't seeing X-men Days of Future Past if Storm won't be in it even though Halle Berry is playing her.
    Some people said they won't read/buy Avengers titles, but changed their mind when Storm joined the team. As I said before it made a lot of headlines.
    I guarantee you if Storm left XX-men the sales would drop dramatically (no offense to Brain Wood.)

As I said before if Hawkeye (The Michelle to the Avenger's Destiny's Child) can have the right creative team and writer so can Storm.
    Marvel knows this and that's why they recently re-released Storm's Solo for tpb sale. If Storm sales sucked it wouldn't have gotten re-released.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GrenadeFlow

@poisonfleur: You still didn't prove anything.

But to say Storm doesn't have good sales is complete BS! Considering anytime she is featured in ANYTHING-- comics, teams, games, movies, toys, shows, etc sales are automatically boosted. With that being said she deserves an awesome writer and creative team for a solo.

- Any time Storm appears in any of those its as a team not as a solo act so sales increase can't be attributed to only her.

Many people have said they aren't buying MVC3 if Storm, Magneto and Sentinel don't come back.

- Do you have a poll or something cuz this point is useless

Some people have said on Bryan Singer's twitter that they aren't seeing X-men Days of Future Past if Storm won't be in it even though Halle Berry is playing her.

- She didn't appear in any of the last 3 X-Men so I don't think the general public would care TBH

Some people said they won't read/buy Avengers titles, but changed their mind when Storm joined the team. As I said before it made a lot of headlines.

- The month Storm joined the Avengers sales dropped by 3k so I don't think anyone cared

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-01.html

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011/2011-12.html

I guarantee you if Storm left XX-men the sales would drop dramatically (no offense to Brain Wood.)

- She's been a background character in that book so it really wouldn't matter.

I don't even hate storm or anything but you need facts to back up points

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even Hawkeye

I'm pretty sure rogue and magik had a temporary solo series in the 90's and 80's. Storm had a origins story that included gambit in it. I guess x-men is the closes book where storm is mostly centered. I wouldnt mind a emma frost solo or maybe even a jean grey solo but i guess marvel just picks the most popular ones

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur said:

even Hawkeye

I'm pretty sure rogue and magik had a temporary solo series in the 90's and 80's. Storm had a origins story that included gambit in it. I guess x-men is the closes book where storm is mostly centered. I wouldnt mind a emma frost solo or maybe even a jean grey solo but i guess marvel just picks the most popular ones

Pretty sure Emma had her own run for a while or at least 18 issues, which is about as long as the current X-force books anyway.

Emma Frost series

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numi said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@poisonfleur said:

even Hawkeye

Pretty sure Emma had her own run for a while or at least 18 issues, which is about as long as the current X-force books anyway.

Emma Frost series

That was more like an originsbackground story then a solo

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numi said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@poisonfleur said:

even Hawkeye

Emma Frost series

That was more like an originsbackground story then a solo

Still, she got 18 issues which makes it a run of as long as the current X-Force books and if sales had been high enough, I'm sure they would have continued it on. Besides, as we've seen with Wolverine, stories from their past can be a solo series. Shoot, my boy Piotr only got 4 issues for his solo.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By HAWK2916

IN all honesty I dont read solos. I've never cared for Wolverine's solo books or any other. What makes the Xmen great is the team dynamic and any character stories or development should happen within the books.

That said I would like to see the women get an even more prominent role.

1. Instead of Beast being in the Illuminati, I'd rather it be Storm. I think there should be a woman on this team anyway. This would give her a more prominent role in the Marvel U. Also it would be interesting to see the dynamic even more between her and Black Panther and former teammate Namor.

2. I hope Rogue does come back and her being the new Ms.Marvel is what should have and should still happen. This could be done in a feasible/reasonable way. Just figure she did get some of Wolverine's healing factor, with Scarlet Witch's spell it brings her back or she absorbed some of the energy from Wonderman. Now she could get her invulnerability back as well as the power siphoning touch, but then she should have energy blast like Wonderman. Still though this should be within the Xmen team dynamic.

3. The thing with Magik could be the most successful but again Im not too much onboard with solos. I would however like to see her head up a team of Defenders, saving the earth from otherwordly, magical and supernatural threats. It could be an all-female team of Magik, Scarlett Witch, Siryn as Morrigan and even Dani Moonstar with her Valkryie stuff and Amanda Sefton and maybe even Storm with her magical and mystical connections and background. Or just have Magik's story developed even more in Uncanny Xmen.

All that said, if anyone could be successful in solo's it would be Storm and Magik. X23 had a decent run as a solo as well. But to me all the solo's and mini's should be done away with and if there are that many stories about these separate characters then, that's what Xmen Legacy should be about. Telling origin and solo stories while still being an Xmen book. It could show how each individual character is affected by current situations in relation to the story being told.

Ultimately, Im against solo's and mini's.

Starbrander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the sheer about of foolishness that has been written into Wolverine's life in solo books, I'm generally against them. X-Men also just work better as team.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 SC  Moderator

Its not really a curse its more like mismanagement and creator desire. First you have to have a creative team that wants to do a characters solo series, makes a pitch for a series so on. Editors can either help or hinder this process by recommending what writers and artists might be better for what books. Another factor is other writers that wish to use the characters. Books don't exist in bubbles, if you spread characters too thin it can affect other peoples books. Some writers and editors like knowing the character they are writing isn't being totality written a different way elsewhere. X-Men characters? Traditionally work better playing off each other in a team setting. Many fans will only get a few titles so will rather have a team book with Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops and Psylocke, than a three solo's or even one team book and two solos. Some characters can break this pattern like Wolverine but a lot of that is due in part to his series being rooted from a healthier sales age and the character being a reliable money maker with a slew of creators that want to write him.

That also being said the characters solo series aren't selling as much as they use to relatively and its probably because the character is spared so thin, so even fans of the character might get enough of him when he appears in one X-Men team book and one X-Force book and one Avengers book (well not as much recently as far as inclusion on teams) but yeah.

Another thing to remember is creative team and costs. One easy way for a character to get a solo series? Have Brian Michael Bendis want to do it, but even then if the book sold above the traditional cut off point for Marvel books - lets say high 20'000 per issue, unless Bendis is taking a huge pay cut then it would be better for Marvel if they just put him on a project that might sell higher instead to get more out of him. This is why you can get a few series with characters that sound a bit odd but they still work out for Marvel in the end. So it requires a perfect Storm no pun intended to really get things up and running for a character to get an ongoing solo. In my dream world Mike Carey or B Wood would be writing a Rogue solo, K and Y on either Storm or Psylocke or umm even Domino would be great.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even Hawkeye

A lot of truth to this. I would hope that Marvel would at least give Storm a shot at a solo someday soon. Like you stated with the right creative team I think she would have a successful solo book. I think the X-Women in general would be better book sellers than the female Avengers/popular MU women.

abaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seriously why are people so negative?

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetH read,

"I just don't get it... Plenty of the women of X-men seem much more capable of holding their own solo. Yet we instead we get a Gambit solo, a Hawkeye solo, multiple Wolverine solos, and apparently a Magneto solo... Not to discredit any of them ( because they are good titles. ) But some other these women in X-men are way more capable of holding their own solos than some of these guys."

And tHougHt, tHis is going to lead to Storm getting a solo series.

HA!

Anyways, it is not a X-Woman curse it is tHe X-Men curse. Only Wolverine Has conquered it.

Remy got a sHot. Magneto is getting a sHot.

June'sVeryOwn

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

Anyways, it is not a X-Woman curse it is tHe X-Men curse. Only Wolverine Has conquered it.

Remy got a sHot. Magneto is getting a sHot.

This, I'm kinda worried about Magneto's solo, and from all the artists we get Walta..

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Its not really a curse its more like mismanagement and creator desire. First you have to have a creative team that wants to do a characters solo series, makes a pitch for a series so on. Editors can either help or hinder this process by recommending what writers and artists might be better for what books. Another factor is other writers that wish to use the characters. Books don't exist in bubbles, if you spread characters too thin it can affect other peoples books. Some writers and editors like knowing the character they are writing isn't being totality written a different way elsewhere. X-Men characters? Traditionally work better playing off each other in a team setting. Many fans will only get a few titles so will rather have a team book with Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops and Psylocke, than a three solo's or even one team book and two solos. Some characters can break this pattern like Wolverine but a lot of that is due in part to his series being rooted from a healthier sales age and the character being a reliable money maker with a slew of creators that want to write him.

That also being said the characters solo series aren't selling as much as they use to relatively and its probably because the character is spared so thin, so even fans of the character might get enough of him when he appears in one X-Men team book and one X-Force book and one Avengers book (well not as much recently as far as inclusion on teams) but yeah.

Another thing to remember is creative team and costs. One easy way for a character to get a solo series? Have Brian Michael Bendis want to do it, but even then if the book sold above the traditional cut off point for Marvel books - lets say high 20'000 per issue, unless Bendis is taking a huge pay cut then it would be better for Marvel if they just put him on a project that might sell higher instead to get more out of him. This is why you can get a few series with characters that sound a bit odd but they still work out for Marvel in the end. So it requires a perfect Storm no pun intended to really get things up and running for a character to get an ongoing solo. In my dream world Mike Carey or B Wood would be writing a Rogue solo, K and Y on either Storm or Psylocke or umm even Domino would be great.

Yes. This. All of this. I want to put all of it in bold.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc is very good at that stuff
    I personally don't like migrating X-men to solos... They're a freaking team. I don't wanna see a gambit solo anymore then I wanna see a Cyclops or X-23 or Cable solo... -_-

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abaldo: Hello, Abaldo. Some folks here on CV don't know how to express their opinions any other way.

@oldnightcrawler: Really?? I had no idea that Magik was the first woman of X-men to get her own Solo. Nice. I've read it-- it was alright for it's time.

@numi: Yes she did. And it was alright. BUT-- It was very much an origins book/soap opera. I am not sure it had any action scenes. Plus Emma was not really Emma at the time. It was still worth the read. I guess it wasn't what we were expecting.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Yes. This. All of this. I want to put all of it in bold.

D@MN! That was really well thought out. I am impressed by reading all of this too.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jean- her stories are erratic. either too hot or too cold. i think she should have her own series as phoenix. she's really popular. she could do both earth and inter galactic adventures.

rachel- being romantically linked to 2 aliens, her future captor/master ahab, future husband to die, family dies in front of her

psylocke- should have a movie. should try leading her own team, just like what rogue did

storm- should have secondary mutation, be a complete elemental. ability to control earth, wind , fire and water

jubes- would like to have her light powers back

polaris -should get married already...to gambit. haha

abaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By abaldo

i think if there going to have a storm solo, they should focus on her mystical heritage and her roll as a high priestess..followed by agatha and scarlet witch.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler

: Really?? I had no idea that Magik was the first woman of X-men to get her own Solo. Nice. I've read it-- it was alright for it's time.

well, first girl, really. But yeah, I always thought that was pretty cool. I guess she was the original bad-ass of the New Mutants, and one of the few who's story first came from the X-men.

I'd probably be more interested in seeing her in her own series now, really, but I'm pretty happy that she's got such a central role in Uncanny' anyway, and it would have to be pretty good to interest me more than that book right now.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jean- her stories are erratic. either too hot or too cold. i think she should have her own series as phoenix. she's really popular. she could do both earth and inter galactic adventures.

rachel- being romantically linked to 2 aliens, her future captor/master ahab, future husband to die, family dies in front of her

psylocke- should have a movie. should try leading her own team, just like what rogue did

storm- should have secondary mutation, be a complete elemental. ability to control earth, wind , fire and water

jubes- would like to have her light powers back

polaris -should get married already...to gambit. haha

I always thought havok would go for the scarlett witch in uncanny avengers but now they have havok marrying wisp in the future

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abaldo said:

i think if there going to have a storm solo, they should focus on her mystical heritage and her roll as a high priestess..followed by agatha and scarlet witch.

I really don't get why people keep harping on her mystical heritage. It's so boring to me and I don't think magic works that well for most X stories.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I honestly think that in 2015 it would be great if all the X-Men split up and I mean officially. I'd like to see One character open up a school and a few minor characters, especially the kids, stay in that ONE School.

I'd like for every main X-Man or well known, or extremely popular X-Man to get their own solo series.

I'd prefer if Wolverine kept one school running and in that series Wolverine is usually overlooked. It shouldn't be a WatXM just a X-Men book. This series will focus on the kids.

The O5 finally go back home.

At the same time, Rogue, Storm, Beast, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto (depending if his run continues), Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Magik, Colossus, Psylocke and etc either get their own solo series or get to be a official supporting cast member for another X-Man's solo series. Oh yeah and Jean Grey too. I'm not a fan of her but I won't deny the Phoenixtopians are a large fan group.

(+)

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

even Hawkeye

Rogues 2004 series lasted 12 issues, but Ms. Marvels 2006 series lasted 50.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I stand corrected. Just looked it up & I thought that was a mini. Although ever since Marvel put the focus on the Avenger type characters, There has been a slightly unfair disadvantage against the w-gals when it comes to solos. Just sayin-- gotta factor that in too. But I get you point.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abaldo: Yeah that would be an interesting way to go. Although if anyone has read the lead up to Fall of mutants, LifeDeath, World's Apart, or Storm: The Arena. Storm is more than Capable of having her own series with interesting stories, plots, unfinished business that don't center around her running away to Africa. She has plenty of edgy stories to go and branch off of. Plus if she ever gets a solo, it has to be with her Mohawk!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#39  Edited By Outside_85

If we really have to argue about Ms. Marvel getting a book at the expense of Rogue, I am going to point out that Ms. Marvel has been Marvels latest (and probably most successful) attempt at making their very own independent Wonder Woman type of character.

But I dont think thats why, I think it's more to do with Marvel and its writers having a hard time breaking characters like Rogue and Storm free of the teams that spawned them. And it's nearly a universal rule; a character created for a team-setting, will nearly always remain part of a team setting.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: Was it much better before they started evening up the Avengers/X-Men ratio? I thought most X-Men solo titles that weren't Wolverine struggled to stay in print even before that.

Marvel doesn't seem to have much faith in doing solo X-Men stuff, but it seems like trying to get some going around the time of the new film would be worth a go, as appearing in films could add some extra in some characters. Like it seems from a Google Trends search that Storm has become less and less searched for since she last appeared in a film. Perhaps shortly before or after her appearance in Days Of Future Past would be a good time to launch a new series.

abaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abaldo said:

I really don't get why people keep harping on her mystical heritage. It's so boring to me and I don't think magic works that well for most X stories.

i dont really get why you don't

PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abaldo said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

@abaldo said:

i dont really get why you don't

It is barely mentioned in the general canon and only comes in to play in mini-series or as a side commentary. To me, it seems that adding magic to her character would just result in more clutter - she won't have time to become as skilled as Dr. Strange or Clea and her mutant powers are worthless against the mid or high-tier magical beings that Strange faced in his heyday. And most magic users in Marvel don't fare so well sales-wise. Sorcery would become just another powerset that is not useful in the vast majority of her missions and make it more difficult to address in stories more grounded in reality, such as those dealing with race or human rights issues. What is so interesting about it?

IMO, Magik's backstory works because her mutant power is rather stable and essentially limited even though it can be dynamic; she is basically a teleporter that fell into a magical world. While this might not work for a live action X-Men film, it grounds her mutant abilities in one sphere and in another sphere, she has magic powers as a result of what happened in that other dimension. In terms of Storm, she already has a lot of things she can do with her powers - I don't really see magic adding anything besides opportunities for PIS.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By poisonfleur

@v_scarlotte_rose:

@outside_85:

B

oth of you make really good points. It's just I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear Nightcrawler is getting his own solo and written by Chris Claremont himself-- and Storm isn't.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50308

If anyone has read Claremont's Storm especially after she lost her powers: Fall of Mutants, LifeDeath, etc. Most people would agree, that's the best Storm has ever been. Although Wood is doing a good job too.
    Don't mind me, I am just disappointed.

XManfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By XManfan91

sadly I agree wit thread. :(

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sadly I agree wit thread. :(

How do you feel? Which X-women title would you ever be interested in?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@poisonfleur: It's maybe just that no-one has any good solo stories to tell with her. Like Nightcrawler and Rogues 2004 solo titles both only lasted 12 issues, but Rogues' sold slightly better, selling 5,241 copies more for the first issue, and 2,411 more for the last issue. So they weren't fantastic sellers, like Storms' minis, and if anything Rogue would seem like a slightly better seller, so it's maybe just that Chris Claremont has some good ideas for Nightcrawler, rather than a sales based decision. Maybe the ideas were so good that this is why Nightcrawler has been brought back.

Consider though, that Magneto has a solo series starting in March, Nightcrawler has one in April, along with Doop getting a mini-series. Maybe there'll be more solo X-character titles announced for May or the months after, with Marvel not wanting to release all of them at the same time. Maybe there'll be a title for Storm, or another female X-Man.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yeah...According to Brevoort (take this with a grain of salt, mind you) there has of yet to be a writer that has a solo story to tell with Storm regarding her current situation and everything. If that's true then i can completely understand the situation of other characters whom aren't even as a deserving as a solo as she, imo, getting opportunities. From a business pov, expenditure isn't so expendable, they need a really really really good reason. Which is why we need MORE FANS of the character IN THE INDUSTRY.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Magik ongoing solo series would be awesome...I wouldn't mind.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutter said:

A Magik ongoing solo series would be awesome...I wouldn't mind.

didn't she already have one, one that didn't last all that long iirc. Though considering her almost outsider status among x-people... she makes the most sense. I would hate to see a Dazzler series. She's so bland. Magik over her for sure. Storm over all the others, of course.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this Gambit run was more of experiment, like "can he really hold his own book?" Just a feeling I guess. Now, Magneto's first issue release date in pretty close to DOFP movie premiere, and we all know how people feel about Fassbenderneto, so I guess it also wasn't "just like that" editorial decision. And Storm is the only X-character, besides Wolverine, that appears in more than 3 books, yet it still ain't enough? Too be honest, not many X-characters can hold their own solo right now (especially NOW), that would be the answer to OP.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.