Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Creator's talk about upcoming release, 'First X-Men'

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By Hawkeye446

First X-Men, a new limited series written and drawn by Neal Adams, scripted by Christos Gage.

Neal Adams is quoted as saying;

“You guys probably know I was at one time associated with X-Men…then they canceled the book. I had great fondness for the original X-Men, had the time of my life, then they canceled it. At the beginning, Stan and Jack were experimenting. You had Professor X, bald and in a wheelchair. These strange kids already in costume. It seems to me like this was not the beginning of the story, but the middle. Of all the mutants on Earth, Professor X could easily pass as a human. Why would he want to get involved in this? Maybe all this was going on before Professor X was Professor X…when Professor X was a teenager. Maybe mutant kids were getting abused by the military, by the government. Somebody would have been looking out for them, but maybe that person came to Charles Xavier, realizing he couldn’t protect these kids. That was my pitch. Marvel was very generous to provide Christos Gage to me, who is an expert in all this stuff. He’s taking my pitch and turning it into scripts that are in my opinion groundbreaking. It’s the X-Men before there were X-Men. How deeply is Wolverine entrenched in the X-Men? Why was this first team…maybe a failure? Lots of questions to answer. The natural instinct is that this is like the ‘X-Men: First Class’ movie, but it’s not. We didn’t mind stealing the Nazi Hunter version of Magneto though. There’s a character who calls himself Bombastic Aghast, but they call him Bomb. Wolverine saves him from a cave-in then gives him a leather jacket that fits like a tent. He looks ridiculous, but he thinks it’s his costume. Later, Wolverine buys him a jacket that fits, but he throws it back in his face. That jacket means so much to him and represents his relationship with Wolverine. That’s the origin of his costume… There will be early versions of the Sentinels. I did the giant ones, now I’m getting to do different one. Havok can’t be in the series, because it’s in the past, but we do have characters doing new things I think you’ll like. The thing about Havok is he had this black costume that absorbed energy and then it emerged from the middle. It was a purposeful costume. It did what it was supposed to do for his power. These are the types of designs I like to do. I think one of X-Men’s greatest contributions is showing that there are ways and methodologies to doing group books. It’s hard. It’s also hard to do a great group movie, but I think we just got one… Wolverine was a mercenary, and mercenaries make a lot of money. Wouldn’t it be interesting to find that Wolverine’s mercenary work funded… The concept that Charles Xavier could pass for a human I don’t think has ever really been explored. At some point in his life, he made the difficult decision to step forward as leader of the X-Men and as a mutant. He could have wiped all of this out of the world’s collective mind. Why didn’t he? Stuff to think about.”

And now from Christos Gage;

“It takes place before the original X-Men and at a time when the government was snatching mutants up and doing scary things to them. Logan notices this and thinks somebody needs to look out for them. He recruits Sabretooth, who asks ‘Why?’ and so he pays him. Professor Xavier is a young man studying at Oxford, who’s engaged and wants nothing to do with this. They recruit this guy Erik Lensherr who is out there killing Nazis. Wolverine is a soldier here. He doesn’t put together a school, he puts together a unit, but they are young kids… They do encounter ‘hobo’ Sub-Mariner at one point… We wanted this to be something you could hand to somebody who just saw the X-Men movies and they’d enjoy it as a good X-Men story. At the same time, for giant nerds like me, FBI agent Fred Duncan from the early stories is in there, and when Professor X talks about his brother you know it’s Juggernaut.”

What d'you think, Comic Vine?

~~~

Sourced from Bleeding Cool, here.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By feebadger

I'm really not looking forward to this one, Sir. I love Neal Adams and have an awful lot of respect for his work in the past. I mean, he is one of hte most important and accomplished artists in the comics industry, but the art he is producing at the moment and the previews from this book have me doubting. Can ou still support a book based purely on past glories? Maybe, but the whole premise just makes me feel like Marvel are scraping the bottom of a very empty barrel. More X Men? Really? More Wolverine? Really? I'm pretty tired of this kind of concept and am starting to feel like Alan Moore about the comic book industry when these kinds of solicits come out.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I'm not looking forward to this. This seems like a flagrant attempt to channel the goodwill generated by the "X-Men First Class" movie using characters that have already been explored and undermining years of character dynamics and history just for a fast cash in. It's a boring concept, the art looks pedestrian and the mix of characters just seems lame.

I'm all for a great story and awesome art, but this story just seems so unnecessary.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oraclefyre

Actually I'm looking forward to this. A bit iffy on the art but it intrigues me.

But I'm going to be so broke trying to keep up with all the X-books.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@oraclefyre said:

Actually I'm looking forward to this. A bit iffy on the art but it intrigues me.

But I'm going to be so broke trying to keep up with all the X-books.

I'll pick up issue #1 in the store for a fast read-through. I'm willing to give it a chance for a few pages.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

It seems like a What If comic more than anything, because I can't see it doing X-Men any justice continuity-wise. Also, the artwork looks as though it's terrible on purpose for the sake of seeming timeline genuine.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By AgeofHurricane

It's STILL bull-sh*t.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By Hawkeye446

@feebadger said:

I'm really not looking forward to this one, Sir. I love Neal Adams and have an awful lot of respect for his work in the past. I mean, he is one of hte most important and accomplished artists in the comics industry, but the art he is producing at the moment and the previews from this book have me doubting. Can ou still support a book based purely on past glories? Maybe, but the whole premise just makes me feel like Marvel are scraping the bottom of a very empty barrel. More X Men? Really? More Wolverine? Really? I'm pretty tired of this kind of concept and am starting to feel like Alan Moore about the comic book industry when these kinds of solicits come out.

The fact that we have more Wolverine with Charles and Eric just makes me.... eh.... If the story is actually good, then yay. However, I think there is huge potential for this book, to completely fail.

Morrison's New X-men is even BETTER than I remember, on another note :P

@AgeofHurricane said:

It's STILL bull-sh*t.

;)

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

I'm not looking forward to this. This seems like a flagrant attempt to channel the goodwill generated by the "X-Men First Class" movie using characters that have already been explored and undermining years of character dynamics and history just for a fast cash in. It's a boring concept, the art looks pedestrian and the mix of characters just seems lame.

I'm all for a great story and awesome art, but this story just seems so unnecessary.

I agree with a lot of this. For sure.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9  Edited By x_29

...nahhhhhhh

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By John Valentine

This looks like an absolutely terrible.

Why would they have Neal Adams drawing this? His art is simply poor by current stands.

The story itself looks fundamentally terrible.

Wolverine and Sabretooth teaming up? By this stage their rivalry had been going on for years! Sabretooth's probably killed several of Wolverine's girlfriends by now.

This part of Magneto's history has never been mentioned? Wolverine's never mentioned this before? Professor X, who looks to be bastardised again, has never mentioned this either?

Such a terrible attempt to push Wolverine even deeper into X-history.

No, Marvel. Just no!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.