Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Confused about x-men ?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Ok I'm confused about things.

1) now in all new x men 40 Jean tell O5 bobby he is gay so I started doing some digging and found out the the O5 x men come from a alternate universe so that mean 616 bobby can still be straight. Now if there from a different universe then why did 616 scoot vanish when O5 Scott was killed ?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Were did you find that the O5 are from an alternate reality?

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk all I know is a writer apparently confirmed adult bobby is gay as well

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Were did you find that the O5 are from an alternate reality?

All-New X-Men #1, where it introduces them as being from an alternate past?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@kcomicfan said:

@oldnightcrawler: were did it say that? can you post a image of it?

This is where we first meet the All-new X-men:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Basically, it's the same point in their history as the events that took place in our (the 616) X-men's reality in The X-Men #8from 1963. Except that it's not. This is how that event went down in the 616 version:

No Caption Provided

See the difference? The dialogue has been changed. It's not a big difference, and if it's the only thing that distinguishes that version of history from the original, it would mean that these should be basically the same kids. But keep in mind, the scene from All-new X-men #1 takes place before the future/present/616 Beast has any interaction with these kids at all, so there's no explanation for why the discussion they were having would be effected by that; the only explanation that makes sense in the context of the story is that this isn't in the 616 X-men's past at all, even if it is virtually the same.

I'm just pointing out that that it's different at all means that, by definition, these characters are from an alternate version of the X-men's history, ie: an alternate or parallel universe.

One could point out that if all of the characters in the story believe that they are seeing the actual past/future versions of themselves, including the 616 Beast, then of course they would respond accordingly. Thus, the point I'm making needn't really have any impact on how this story goes down, I'm just pointing out that, as readers of the story, it should be recognized that they are obviously not the 616 versions of the characters.

I don't know if this is a thing Bendis intended or not by changing the dialogue. Part of me thinks that he could have done so to leave himself a back door to do whatever he wanted with the characters, without having to worry about it effecting (the established 616 version of) history. This way, readers can see stories with the X-men when they were young, in the present, without writers having to later explain why that experience didn't effect history.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: This is not exactly solid evidence, I was hoping for a quote from Marvel or a page were someone in the book said they are from a different reality.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Outside_85

Hasn't it been long established by now that time-travel only results in alternate timelines?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: This is not exactly solid evidence, I was hoping for a quote from Marvel or a page were someone in the book said they are from a different reality.

alright, whatever.

but the text itself is clearly an alternate version of the past; by definition that makes it an alternate history/timeline. That's a cold hard fact. Cyclops vanishing as older Cyclops is dying is really only circumstantial evidence and never actually explained; strange as it seems, we don't know that wasn't a coincidence. And we do know that the past this O5 came from was not the one Stan Lee wrote, so which is really the stronger argument?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Frank miller practically re-told the whole of daredevils past, I have assumed this is what bendis was doing. At the end of the day I agree with you, I want them to be from an alternate reality. But with the lack of upfront written evidence, Scott disappearing when the O5 Scott died and the writing team for extraordinary X-men confirming that adult bobby will be gay (http://marvel.com/news/comics/24804/the_x-men_become_extraordinary_to_survive) the O5 are unfortunately from the 616.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Frank miller practically re-told the whole of daredevils past, I have assumed this is what bendis was doing. At the end of the day I agree with you, I want them to be from an alternate reality. But with the lack of upfront written evidence, Scott disappearing when the O5 Scott died and the writing team for extraordinary X-men confirming that adult bobby will be gay (http://marvel.com/news/comics/24804/the_x-men_become_extraordinary_to_survive) the O5 are unfortunately from the 616.

like I said, I do think that they're supposed to be. which is fine, I guess. I like the characters the same either way.

why do you think it's unfortunate?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Unfortunate was a poor choose of words. I like the story, I just dislike the change made to bobby and the fact the the O5 's story is continuing post secret wars

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Unfortunate was a poor choose of words. I like the story, I just dislike the change made to bobby and the fact the the O5 's story is continuing post secret wars

why's that?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I think I have a idea about the Scott thing. Ok I got this idea from the movie "The One". Anyway in the movie they talk about in the multiverse there are countless versions of us and we all share a life stream and when on of us die the life energy is divided among the survivors. Maybe sense the O5 x men come from a universe that's so close to the mainstream that's why Scott faded when O5 Scott was killed ?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:

like I said, I do think that they're supposed to be. which is fine, I guess. I like the characters the same either way.

why do you think it's unfortunate?

i hope extra x-men does better then the new anxm so marvel will take the hint and that jean is a marvel money-maker .......

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope extra x-men does better then the new anxm so marvel will take the hint and that jean is a marvel money-maker .......

it will.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays :P

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

it will.

did we just agree on something!?!?!?!? thats end of the world stuff, right there!!! LOL :P

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If so, yeah, it will have absolutely nothing to do with being a new flagship title and having pretty much all other popular characters. Nope. It's just Jean...

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By HAWK2916

@kcomicfan: I'm with you 100% on the changes.

I hope someone comes to their senses and gets rid of the O5 mess and just say they are from an alternate universe

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@hawk2916: Aman dude. But I know I asked this before but if... If the O5 x-men are from a alternate earth oh and by that way almost every website I seen on the O5 x-men dose say there from a alternate earth. Anyway if they are then why did cyclops fade away when O5 Scott was killed ? Oh and if the 616 X-Men are effected when something happens to there O5 counterparts then why doesn't 616 Angel have cosmic power ?

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I asked this before but if... If the O5 x-men are from a alternate earth oh and by that way almost every website I seen on the O5 x-men dose say there from a alternate earth. Anyway if they are then why did cyclops fade away when O5 Scott was killed ? Oh and if the 616 X-Men are effected when something happens to there O5 counterparts then why doesn't 616 Angel have cosmic power ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.