Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Concepts and Ideas for a new X-Men animated series.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have always been a big fan of the X-Men, for some reason I have always been drawn to the original X-Men. I don’t know why, maybe because it was simpler times back then before all the clones, cyborgs, inter dimensional space being from the future stuff. I have come to realize that they will never make an X-Men movie with the original 5 X-Men or probably even a cartoon show in the least. There are probably numerous reasons but the most obvious I can think of is because its hard to really explore the original 5 characters, they are, of course, very limited to what they can do and the villains are also very limited due to it being very early in the teams career.

There is also the factor of the being an all caucasian, American team with no ethnic or racial diversity. These days cartoons based off comics secure racial diversity by either creating new characters or changing the race of characters or using a lesser known character and re imagining him. Finally, the most well known and marketable characters are absent. Storm, Nightcrawler, and of course, Wolverine don't show up until much later in the X-Men mythos. So, X-Men Evolution will be the closest one might ever get to a show about the original X-Men.

So, Here are my ideas for one: A cartoon based off the days of the original 5 X-Men

Guidelines/Bible:
    - There are only mutants on this earth. I find the whole Marvel Universe to be problematic when it relates to the whole “Mutant Menace” mixed with other super heroes. How do people differentiate between a meta-human and a mutant? Do people know every super heroes origin story? Why is their 500 super heroes in NYC alone? Blah, blah…..its easier to just focus on the X-Mens universe. Its more self contained.
    - This series will be more practical. I don’t mean as realistic as the X-Men films but it will me more modernized for things to be more logical. Think like what X-Men Evolution or even Young Justice did. For instance, not everyone will be wearing spandex, some villains will have regular clothes or more tactical gear on. The X-mens uniforms will be a darker blue and look more protective and functional than just a gaudy super hero outfit.
    -Obviously, the last two points drive at the fact that there won’t be a ton of alien races or dimensional travel or even magic. As for aliens, there should really only be the Shi’ar and the Quists in the X-Men lore, as both are kind of vital. As for magic…I hate it. Its often just a plot device, now if it’s a story that heavily involves magic like Harry Potter or Dr. Strange or something like that where you can really get into it and explore the limits and extremes of it, then its OK. However, when it is a story about the X-Men I don’t really see the point of explaining it. With that said, I don’t know how to explain the Juggernaut, lol, If you just have him as a mutant he sort of loses what is so intriguing about him in my opinion. I guess I will figure something out or I would love some suggestions
    -The series will show growth with the X-Mens powers and as well as growth with their relationships and personal lives. It just won’t be about them fighting villains every week.
    -Remember, Scott, Hank, Warren, Jean and Bobby are all new to being X-men, there will be instances of Cyclops and Iceman needing to recharge if they over exert themselves, Hank and Warren may miscalculate their abilities..like Hank thinking he is stronger than he really is or something of that nature.
    -The sub basement will also develop as the series goes on. In the beginning its just a hollowed out bunker that stretches under the masnion

Season will be 26 episodes.

Beforehand:
    -Mutants are a relatively new phenomenon. There are hate groups out there and there also people that don’t believe the hype. News reports often twist an event with a mutant relation to sound like an exaggeration…like a UFO sighting.
    -Charles Xavier was traveling abroad for a long time when only returning to the US on occasion to visit an oddly powerful mutant named Jean Grey. He was on his way to the States with an idea to form a school of some sort when he had an encounter with a being where he found himself crippled after a battle. He became depressed for several months at the loss of his legs and his confinement to a wheelchair and has been kind of a recluse for the past 5 months. He has been living in his mansion with tarps and sheets all over the furniture at the start of our story.

This series will show the gathering of the X-men in the first couple of episodes. I have never liked how every X-men show just has the team already assembled. Evolution sort of showed the team being gathered but we had also already had Storm, Jean Cyclops and Wolverine already X-men with no explanation really of how long or in what order they joined or anything like that.

Season 1, Episode 1: “Genesis”
    Synopsis: After a young man named Scott Summers causes an accident at an orphanage, he finds himself running with a dangerous criminal. Charles Xavier must find him.

Centric character: Cyclops/Professor X

Notes:
    -I know, I know, the synopsis is generic and corny. Its just the outline really.
    -This is happening in the modern world, so Scott isn’t totally trust worthy of some weird, middle aged, crippled guy that can read minds, he really only decides to go with Professor X in the end reluctantly because he really has no place else to go.
    -In the original story, Jack “O’ Diamonds” Winters has telepathy and some sort of chemical later turns his skin into actual diamonds, because yeah, that is logical…in the 60’s. Not now. He is just going to be a criminal. The reason Professor X just doesn’t show up and mind wipe him is because he wants Scott to make his own decision and do the right thing.
    -Xavier already knows Agent Fred Duncan in this series. I always thought the fact that Xavier worked with the government at some point (similar to Xmen First Class film or the First X-Men comic). See, I never understood how Cyclops would be great at forming strategies or calling out formations and tactics on the battle field when he was a teenager, I mean sure you could argue that Xavier hired teachers or something but I liked to think that maybe Xavier had some training from working with the FBI for a time, that he then taught to Scott. This plot detail also gives more incentive for Agent Duncan to be trusted so much with the information about the school.
    -Scott has a bandage over his eyes with his eyes closed throughout the episode. In the original story Cyclops already has his protective Ruby Quartz glasses from some opthomologist (that was really Mr. Sinister in disguise if I recall). I was never to keen on this detail, Professor X was never suspicious of just some eye doctor figuring out Ruby Quartz was a way to conceal Scotts solar charged force beams??
    -The episode ends with Scott getting his glasses

Season 1, Episode 2: “Cold Reception”
    Synopsis: Cyclops and Professor X set out to recruit a mutant named Bobby Drake, only to find out that he is the target of a hate group.

Centric character: Iceman/Cyclops

Notes:
    -This story takes place about a month and a half after the first episode.
    -In the original origin of Iceman, he freezes a kid and winds up in the local jail. I omitted this seeing as Bobby isn’t that powerful enough yet, he generally is really cold sometimes and can generate snow from his pores. After some local kids see him create snow balls from thin air the word gets out leading to his troubles.
    - I also thought it would be cool to spotlight Bobbys more easy going life before he joins the X-Men. Its just always seemed all the X-men, original 5 included come from some problematic backgrounds. I think its nice to see Bobby come from a happy, loving home.
    -Professor X winds up wiping the minds of the hate group and some of the townsfolk of the events.
    -The hate group does actually try to hang Cyclops and Bobby at a point. Since this cartoon is just a fantasy and will never happen, I can put whatever I want and I thought its good to evoke and demonstrate actual things that come out of racism in the real world.

Season 1, Episode 3: “Virtue”
    Synopsis: When hearing about sightings of a real live Angel in NYC the X-men go to investigate, only to find that the alleged Angel also moonlights as a vigilante.

Centric character: Angel

Notes:
    -Warrens actions insight a lot of riots between religious zealots.
    - Warren steals a gas grenade to aid him in his crime fighting that almost blows up a city block. He fights with Iceman and Cyclops first then has to dispose of it high in the air. This is kind of the action finale of this episode as opposed to the X-men bailing their new recruit out of trouble with some random bad guy in all of the first episodes. Got to have variety.
    -A man name Thomas Regal is one of the criminals Angel busts in his crime fighting. He is significant because he develops a hatred for Angel and attempts to extract revenge later on in the series.
    -The episode mainly focuses on Angels activity. Iceman and Cyclops are only in it in the very beginning and the end when they try to recruit him.

Season 1, Episode 4: “Exhibition”
    Synopsis: Hank McCoy gives an amazing performance at a high school football game, so amazing his abilities are sought after by a contingent of terrorists.

Centric character: Beast

Notes:
    - Terrorists bro!!?? Yeah, I know, corny and uninspired, right? Well, In Hanks original origin his family is kidnapped and he is forced to steal a weapon for the epic, memorable, timeless villains known as “El Conquistador” and yes, his outfit is as bad as his name. So yeah, I just modernized it to terrorist of some generic, unknown foreign background. They are not essential to the story really, they are just the antagonists
    -It should be noted that Hank hides his intelligence while in school to fit in more with his clique of jocks and cheerleaders at school. He is more prone to accepting Xaviers invitation because he has never felt like he fit in in his previous situation.

Season 1, Episode 5: “Uncanny”
    Synopsis: A Mutant known as Magneto attempts to take Cape Citadel for himself. Its up to the X-men with their newest recruit, Jean Grey to stop him.

Centric character: None really

Notes:
    -Just a disgustingly blatant tribute to the issue that started it all. It would be nearly a animated recreation page for page, with a bit of extra content for time reasons. Of course its modernized as well, like the dialogue isn’t going to be littered with 60’s slang and things like that. Also, Magneto won’t have mind powers or whatever he originally had.
    -About Magneto. He is a pain because he is a “dated” The fact that he is a Holocaust survivor means he is would be like 90 years old now, I know in the comic, he along with Xavier has been “de aged”. I want the series to be more practical and slightly realistic, so I kind of have to omit that, but how do I make him younger and keep the background that is so integral to his character you ask??? Well, I figure he could come from a fictional country. That way you could say whatever you want happened in the country because its made up. DC comics does it all the time. He could be from some country that was ravaged and a group of people (maybe Neo Nazis) committed genocide upon other people. Its not the fact that Magneto has some hatred towards Hitler himself that makes his outlook work, it’s the fact that what happened to him, and the fact that it is similar to what might happen to mutants and that he is a bit contradictive in his actions. So yeah, basically he has the same origin he is just not from WW2 era Germany, he is from a fictional country where the situation was similar. He is the same age as Xavier: late thirties early forties basically.
    -Magnetos plans are justified also, he isn’t just acting as a crazy super villain, he plans to be prepared for when he claims that humanity will strike against his people.

Season 1, Episode 6: “Colleagues”
    Synopsis: Fred Duncan has apparently been a partner of a mutant that is thieving high priority government files and secrets, Professor X and the X-Men come to his aid while facing the mutant known as the Vanisher.

Centric character: Professor X/Agent Duncan

Notes:
    -Professor X knows Fred Duncan from when they worked together. Since then. Agent Duncan has worked several mutant cases, one of them was arresting the Vanisher. He basically comes back for vengeance and frames Agent Duncan as his partner while trying to sell the documents he is stealing to high bidders.
    -The back story of Agent Duncan and Professor X is revealed.
    -Xavier has to defeat the Vanisher after the X-men cannot. Leading Xavier to be disappointed in his students.
    -All of the Males with the exception of Scott are vying for Jeans attention.
    -Valerie Cooper is introduced as Agent Duncans young protégé
    -At the end of this episode Fred Duncan falsifies the files on Xaviers school to be a legit school so that government will never be turned onto to the secret side of it.

Season 1, Episode 7 “Freaks”
    Synopsis: On a trip to the Carnival, Warren and Jean encounter a freak show where the members appear to be mutants, when they invite them to join the X-Men they find there answer in an attack from the Blob.

Centric character: Jean Grey/Beast

Notes:
    -There is an episode of X-Men Evolution called “Mutant Crush” which I have always loved, because in the episode, Blob mistakes Jeans kindness for attraction and kidnaps her, which I always perceived as more of an adult theme as I am sure there is cases of abductions like that in reality, so this episode kind of has parallels to that episode. The Blob excepts the X-mens invitation on behalf of the freaks because of Jean.
    -I am a fan of Blob. So naturally there would be special treatment for the guy, haha. I would get rid of his whole “gravitational force” ability and his epidermal sucking up of items like bullets or whatever. I would just have him be a really fat guy that’s hard to move because of his massive stature. Also he would be really strong and durable, think of him as anti-Colossus. The same attributes except he is tough skin instead of steel.
    -Warren and Jean become “more friendly” in this episode.
    -The Blob turns on the X-Men because of Bobby and Warrens teasing, and because, he is more or less an ill natured individual.
    -In the comic, a fight breaks out in the mansion. In this episode, the X-Men would be more cautious, the X-men and Blob never leave the sight of the carnival and the X-Men have to battle the other freaks along with Blob.
    -Hank becomes infatuated with one of the girls in the freak show.

Season 1, Episode 8 “Value”
    Synopsis: An incident in the city causes Hank to question his purpose, driving him to leave the team. Without Hank, the team must deal with a villain who calls himself “Unus the Untouchable”

Centric character: Beast

Notes:
    -Pretty close to X-Men #9, only Hank doesn’t become a wrestler.
    -Unus is pretty much a regular criminal, using his powers for monetary gain. He doesn’t have any kind of backstory or “tragic villain” story to him.
    -Iceman has a bad habit of calling people by their real names instead of their codenames.

Season 1, Episode 9: “Brotherhood”
    Synopsis: Magneto returns with his own assembled team of mutants to challenge the X-Men.

Centric character: None

Notes:
    -Like I made the Blob more effective, same goes for Toad. I am sick of his sycophant personality and general uselessness. I am taking a cue from the X-Men film and making him more vicious and intelligent,
    -Quicksilver isn’t curiously overly protective of Wanda like he used to be in the comics. They just act like brother and sister that are fond of each other.
    -Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch know that Magneto is their father, he did not raise them however.
    -Cyclops is named leader at the end of this episode.
    -Professor X reveals that he and Magneto were once friends leading the X-Men to have further suspicions about Xavier.
    -The battle in the episode takes place outside of a South American town. Magneto was attempting to root out a group of hunters that killed a an innocent mutant, this leads him to threaten a whole town.

This ends the first arc of the of the season, with 26 episodes they will be divided into three arcs. 9 episodes for the first, 9 episodes for the second, and 8 episodes for the third.
    The events of the first arc were more or less as follows:
    -Fighting rogue mutants
    -The X-Men being from different backgrounds and gentrification initially don’t get along at first until they gradually build relationships and seem to come together by the end of this arc.
    -The X-Men had no leader until this episode when Cyclops is named.
    -The interest between Jean and Angel dissolves by the end of the arc.
    -Up until this point, Iceman could make only himself into his original snow man form. By the end of this arc he is able to turn himself into his more well known, solid, ice form.

The second arc, beginning with episode 10 will deal with more “man made” and non-mutant enemies, like The Savage Land, the Mimic, Sentinels, and of course some big armored guy called the Juggernaut.

Sorry its so long and thank you if you read the whole thing. I would appreciate any feedback or ideas.

Martian81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like your ideas and it seems you thought them out episode by episode.I havent done that by episode but I would want a darker version based in a bleaker atmosphere.Here is my idea

The plot line is in the future where the MRD has 'triumphed' nothing too far off(say 2020) and keeps mutants medicated to suppress the X gene.However the government does keep a secret facility where they choose to keep specific mutants to train their powers so that they can use them for covert and special missions.So like these mutants are under the care of Prof Xavier and he tries to give them hope that they will be set free, meanwhile Magneto and the brotherhood are vigilantes and freedom fighters who have evaded MRD capture and are trying to break out incarcerated mutants and foiling government plans .Their leader is not Magneto but Fabian Cortez who using his blood (by giving them regular injections) gives them ability to overpower the genetic inhibitors from MRD to use their natural abilities , but this comes at a price for they become addicts and so he can control them...Pretty dystopian plot but I think it would really work at least for the first season.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By poisonfleur

As long as we can have Lifedeath into an episode or two. I am will be happy. That story was phenomenal. Claremont at his best!

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: Sorry friend, I don't know if you read the post, which was kind of long, but this series is the original 5 only. Storm won't show up for another 5 years and Forge even longer. This series mainly focuses on the original adventures they had and the earlier villains they faced.

@martian81:

Thats a great idea. I like the dystopian future story lines from the X-Men. It always seems inevitable for them.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do a Generation X animated series.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Like your ideas and it seems you thought them out episode by episode.I havent done that by episode but I would want a darker version based in a bleaker atmosphere.Here is my idea

The plot line is in the future where the MRD has 'triumphed' nothing too far off(say 2020) and keeps mutants medicated to suppress the X gene.However the government does keep a secret facility where they choose to keep specific mutants to train their powers so that they can use them for covert and special missions.So like these mutants are under the care of Prof Xavier and he tries to give them hope that they will be set free, meanwhile Magneto and the brotherhood are vigilantes and freedom fighters who have evaded MRD capture and are trying to break out incarcerated mutants and foiling government plans .Their leader is not Magneto but Fabian Cortez who using his blood (by giving them regular injections) gives them ability to overpower the genetic inhibitors from MRD to use their natural abilities , but this comes at a price for they become addicts and so he can control them...Pretty dystopian plot but I think it would really work at least for the first season.

This would the basis for a great comic book series.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: Haha, I am actually a big Generation X fan. I don't think an animated series of Gen X is doable. I know the series is just fan fiction but lets just conjecture that they were considering one for real.

First of all, there is no animation studio short of high quality anime that could do the artwork of that book justice. Bachalos artwork was amazing and I believe that him leaving was one of several reasons the book began to drop off. No other artist could match the unique, beautiful style he had.

Second, Marvel, or better yet some writers kind of killed some of the most intriguing elements. M really being two twins that "shazamed" together, Penance mysterious past. All those things are dead in the water now. They were some of the greatest elements of the book.

Finally, you can read Generation X and its still good. If you go back and read the original X-Men stories they are corny, because of the time they were created, lots of outdated slang and scenarios. Also the original X-Men are often thought as more bland characters, especially since there is no Wolverine or Storm or anybody. I just would like to see a series where you get to see the Original X-Men be bad ass and understand why they represent the heart of Xaviers dream.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@phoenixofthetides: Haha, I am actually a big Generation X fan. I don't think an animated series of Gen X is doable. I know the series is just fan fiction but lets just conjecture that they were considering one for real.

First of all, there is no animation studio short of high quality anime that could do the artwork of that book justice. Bachalos artwork was amazing and I believe that him leaving was one of several reasons the book began to drop off. No other artist could match the unique, beautiful style he had.

Second, Marvel, or better yet some writers kind of killed some of the most intriguing elements. M really being two twins that "shazamed" together, Penance mysterious past. All those things are dead in the water now. They were some of the greatest elements of the book.

Finally, you can read Generation X and its still good. If you go back and read the original X-Men stories they are corny, because of the time they were created, lots of outdated slang and scenarios. Also the original X-Men are often thought as more bland characters, especially since there is no Wolverine or Storm or anybody. I just would like to see a series where you get to see the Original X-Men be bad ass and understand why they represent the heart of Xaviers dream.

Yea it would be difficult. Though I must say I don't understand the love Chris Bachalo. Im just not really awed by his art

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.