Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Coming Back to X-Men

Fink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fink

Ok, so I want to get into the X-Men Comics (I know you guys get that a lot, but hear me out)

I've been a semi-fan of X-Men as a whole for a bit. I watched the X-Men Evolutions series as a kid (BTW, don't go back and watch that, it doesn't hold up)
    But I've enjoyed watching the X-Men movies, and spotting things I remember from the Evolutions series.
    I also played the two X-Men Co-op games (forgot the names), but I got a good chunk of the story from that.

So, That's my history with X-Men: A Bastard look from all the medias except the comics.

Where should I start reading if I don't want the really old x-men comics?
    I want the same beats as the X-Men Evolution series. I heard there is a comic based on the show, but like the show, I heard it's really bad. 
    I was thinking of buying some trades, or even better buying through the iPad app.

Is there any guide you can point me to? It's all really confusing on where to start.

Thanks for the help.
    (Oh, and if the comic industry wonders why they are not getting any new readers, and why the sales of comics suck. It's because it's so impenetrable to try and get into it.)

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By roadbuster

You're in luck.  iFanboy just posted a feature on this very subject: 
    http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/X-Men__Where_Do_I_Start_ 

I generally echo their recommendations, however, for you personally, what's your stance on angst, darkness, etc?  If I recall correctly, Evolution was actually pretty light, had it's humor episodes and high school drama / sitcom bit, and even a terrible all-girl music video at one point?

Fink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fink

Dark is fine. I'm mainly looking for the story aspects.
    Thanks for the guide, I'll check it out.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Which characters do you like?  Perhaps we can think of a few storylines to pick out for you based on who's in them?

Personally, I think just diving right in is a fun way to get involved.  Pick up a trade paperback & get a whole storyline in one go :)  A cross-over is good, something like Messiah CompleX is fun and is packed with oodles of characters... It may seem confusing at first, but when you think 'Oooh,who's that?' you then look them upon the internet & find out more about the titles they come from... and you spiral out into a collection like that :)

MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis
    @xerox-kitty said:

Personally, I think just diving right in is a fun way to get involved.  Pick up a trade paperback & get a whole storyline in one go :)  A cross-over is good, something like Messiah CompleX is fun and is packed with oodles of characters... It may seem confusing at first, but when you think 'Oooh,who's that?' you then look them upon the internet & find out more about the titles they come from... and you spiral out into a collection like that :)

Exactly. This. People are often overwhelmed with diving right in and not knowing characters or what's going on. But honestly, this can be half the fun. You find a new character that interests you, then you're on the hunt for more stories containing them. Or a plot device is referenced, so you dig into a story that explains it more. Pretty soon you will find yourself steeped in the stories and really finding your footing. I love that sense of discovery when diving into a new mythos, or universe. I actually envy people that are coming into these worlds for the first time.
    Fink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fink

Ok, I'll try that. I guess I never really thought of it like that.
    I'll pick up a trade, and jump in head first.

Thanks guys.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

@fink: You're also coming in at a time when a (supposedly) major story arc is about to start. Schism is mostly taking place in a limited series. Prelude to Schism is already on issue 3 of 4, but no-one knows what danger is about to descend on them, and then Schism itself will (supposedly) introduce big changes that will end Uncanny X-Men... and subsequently launch two replacement titles (Wolverine & The X-Man, and Uncanny X-Men). So if you wanted to, you could start with Schism & the two new replacement titles.

I hope you have fun, no matter what you read :)

MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis

Agreed! Have fun. And you know what? Report back to us with what you picked up and how you liked it. I'd be interested to see what you thought.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.