Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Comic Newbie

Avatar image for alianthaberries
    AlianthaBerries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlianthaBerries

Hello Comic Viners! (is that right...?) I just bought Astonishing X-Men Book 1 as my first comic purchase. I would really love it if you could drip-feed me some of your expertise on where to go next.

Naturally I want to keep it X-Men to simplify things right now, I am really enjoying it and I would prefer to keep the same artist John Cassidy (?) but it's not that important really.

I have always wanted to get into comics I've just never really set out to get some, a store opened up recently in my town and I couldn't find any more excuses!

LOVING IT!

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Rickbarry

Astonishing is a pretty decent book to jumping point. Once you finish with that you can probably start with Uncanny X-men. I'd start with Messiah Complex and move to the present.

If you've a little extra cash laying around I'd try the Ultimate X-men series of comics as well. They were quite good...minus the last half dozen issues.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Blood1991

The X-Men recently spit in Schism and have restarted into two books Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. Neither are to far in yet so you maybe able to get them at your comic shop. Ask the guy at the register too they are usually very insightful and are good people. Oh and If you are a Storm or Rouge fan X-Men and X-Men Legacy are good too.

Avatar image for alianthaberries
    AlianthaBerries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlianthaBerries
    Mr Marvel82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mr Marvel82

I'd recommend back-tracking a bit, to Grant Morrison's New X-men. The art and story is a nice contrast to Astonishing. Also, if you're into good art, check out X-treme X-men (takes place at the same time as New X-men.) Salvador Larroca is one of my favorite comic book artists.

Good luck!

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RogueOracle

Definitely Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Astonishing X-men next. House of M. It really depends on what characters you wish to follow. If you want to be up to date with recent events I say maybe check out from Schism on-woods. Maybe go old-school and check out the big stories like Dark Phoenix Saga or Days of the Future Past. If you want an origins type thing, check out X-Men Season 1, it's a good read without the corny dialogue and thought bubbles of the 60s. X-Men have a long and complicated history so just take it arc by arc.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Nudeviking

@RogueOracle said:

Definitely Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Astonishing X-men next. House of M. It really depends on what characters you wish to follow. If you want to be up to date with recent events I say maybe check out from Schism on-woods. Maybe go old-school and check out the big stories like Dark Phoenix Saga or Days of the Future Past. If you want an origins type thing, check out X-Men Season 1, it's a good read without the corny dialogue and thought bubbles of the 60s. X-Men have a long and complicated history so just take it arc by arc.

Does season one still have Professor X worrying about expressing his love to Jean Grey?

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RogueOracle

@Nudeviking: No, sadly. But that scene is essential for any X-Men fan to see.

This will never get old....

No Caption Provided
    Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nudeviking

@RogueOracle said:

@Nudeviking: No, sadly. But that scene is essential for any X-Men fan to see.

This will never get old....

No Caption Provided

Didn't this get brought up again kind of recently? Like within the last five or ten years?

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RogueOracle

@Nudeviking: I only remember it being brought up in the Onslaught story line.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nudeviking

@RogueOracle said:

@Nudeviking: I only remember it being brought up in the Onslaught story line.

That must be what I'm thinking of.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By kidchipotle

If you're going to take the advice above that @Rickbarry suggested, just remember that anything under the ULTIMATE name takes place in a separate universe and does not have anything to do with any other X-men, or marvel, book. Ultimate X-men pre-ultimatum, from what I hear, was pretty good. Post-ultimatum, which is where I started picking up, is a VERY different feel for X-men. Nonetheless, if you're feeling rambunctious, pick up the Ultimate series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.