Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Collecting Uncanny X-Men Question

odysseyuwrf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By odysseyuwrf

I am a big fan of the run from around issue 200 up to 281. It's a classic time period in my opinion, with lots of great stories (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, X-Tinction Agenda). I have collected nearly all issues in that run, and in the process picked up a dozen or so issues from the end of its run (Quarantine, Return to Breakworld). I've read mixed opinions on how people liked those stories, but I found them interesting.

So here is what I would like to know. If I was to work my way backwords from issue #544, where does the series start to turn around? Where should I re-pick up the story? I've read stuff in the 300's and it was terrible in my opinion, and some of the stuff up to House of M.

Thoughts?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I wan't keen on the art in the early 300's, but that only lasted for a couple of years worth. Things started to turn around at the time of The Phalanx Covenant (316 onwards), of coure there wee cross-overs galore then, including the Age of Apocalypse. But I really enjoyed that period of Uncanny.

Nearly 100 issues later (394) is when Grant Morrison took over the reigns of the X-Titles and things became less 'blue & gold' in favour of black leather with yellow trimming. That changed back around issue 444, an era I'm not too particularly fond of. The year-long arc 'Rise & Fall Of The Shi'Ar Empire' started in 475, with filler material until the Messiah CompleX cross-over in 492. Then the reign of Matt Fraction began in 495... And that's where opinions become divided. People either love it or absolutely hate it; and I must admit to being the latter.

It's hard to recommend stories to someone not knowing more about what your tastes are. As I say, I enjoyed it from around the Phalanx Covenant onwards, but you might not like that ;)

odysseyuwrf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By odysseyuwrf

I know Morrison did New X-Men, which I really liked, but what influence did he have on UXM?

I know the Phalanx Covenant, and I didn't care for it. AoA was good. All the X-overs were what I didn't like, or how watered down everything seemed. It was all flash and not much substance in my opinion. I like story, character driven plots. Action is not as important. It's the reason I like the Ultimate Marvel titles so much.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

@odysseyuwrf: Morrison took the 'flagship' status away from Uncanny and shifted it over to New X-Men. Uncanny therefore shared the same fashion sense (black leather with yellow trim) but had stories written by Joe Casey instead. They were... pretty dreadful. In my opinion at least, but I've yet to meet anyone (in real life or online) willing to rave about how great those stories were.

To be completely honest, Uncanny X-Men was rarely a character driven title. It was the core X-Men title that all cross-overs went through, but has increasingly gotten worse over the last couple of... well, decades. You might like the Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire if you liked the Breakworld arc. The 'new' Uncanny X-Men is being written by the same author as the last couple of stories from the 'old' Uncanny, so if you like Keiron Gillan's work then you might like that. Otherwise, it sounds like you might not like Uncanny X-Men and prefer Astonishing X-Men instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.