Claremont returns with X-men Gold!

#1 Posted by Rickbarry (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

X-MEN: GOLD #1
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT, STAN LEE, LOUISE SIMONSON, FABIAN NICIEZA
Art by WALTER SIMONSON, BOB MCLEOD, AND MORE!
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
Variant Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
• It’s the 50th Anniversary of the X-Men, ring it in with some of the greatest creators to ever work on the X-Men!
• CHRIS CLAREMONT is joined by classic X-Artist BOB MCLEOD to bring you an untold story of the X-Men starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty Pryde and Rogue!
• Also jam-packed with all-star creators from X-Men past including STAN LEE, WALTER SIMONSON, LOUISE SIMONSON AND FABIAN NICIEZA!

One of the cooler things I saw in the November solicitations. Sweet team they put together as well. Old school X-men!

#2 Posted by chem86 (356 posts) - - Show Bio

Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL

• It’s the 50th Anniversary of the X-Men, ring it in with some of the greatest creators to ever work on the X-Men!

• CHRIS CLAREMONT is joined by classic X-Artist BOB MCLEOD to bring you an untold story of the X-Men starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty Pryde and Rogue!

• Also jam-packed with all-star creators from X-Men past including STAN LEE, WALTER SIMONSON, LOUISE SIMONSON AND FABIAN NICIEZA!

One of the cooler things I saw in the November solicitations. Sweet team they put together as well. Old school X-men!

Awesome! Stan lee... no more need be said. Also Fabian Nicieza is super awesome too thou! Fabian Nicieza is my favorite writer for comics EVER! SOOO happy to see him working with marvel again!!!!

#3 Edited by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont forever!!

#4 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my god!!!! This is the best news I've heard all day!!! I can't wait!!!

#5 Posted by McKlayn (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL

OMG this, this is fucking awesome!! Chris Claremont ftw!! Btw is this an ongoing or?

#6 Posted by Rickbarry (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@rickbarry said:

Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL

OMG this, this is fucking awesome!! Chris Claremont ftw!! Btw is this an ongoing or?

I dunno. I assume that there would be more than one issue as it's numbered? Who knows, but I'll be satisfied if it's just a one shot.

#7 Posted by HAWK2916 (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!!!! Cant wait.

#8 Posted by Xwraith (14477 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Squalleon (4032 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not particulary happy. The guy told the stories he wanted to and he was a legend.
Seeing him coming back just for a 20 page fill-in doesn't really sit well with me.
Hope his writing doesn't feel dated.

#10 Edited by McKlayn (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not particulary happy. The guy told the stories he wanted to and he was a legend.

Seeing him coming back just for a 20 page fill-in doesn't really sit well with me.

i would take dated writing, over some of the crap we have had recently any day lol. And like you said hes a legend i hope its an ongoing

#11 Posted by SC (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm see, I would be more excited about this five years ago, but after X-Men Forever I am a bit apprehensive about Claremont's ability to tell stories on the same level he use to. I suppose it depends on whether this is in continuity or not and how much of input his editors will have, since I think Claremont is one of those writers that needs to have a good artist and editor to really bring out his best work. If this is in continuity hopefully it will mean Claremont is not going to try and do something radical because I think he does his best work when the characters are written familiarly but put into interesting situations. Its why his Excalibur and X-Treme work was better than his Exiles and Forever stuff.

Am looking forward to the issue though, for other writers involvement as much and because why not?

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually more excited by the Simonsons. I loved their work on the original X-Factor.

#13 Edited by Rickbarry (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

Some folks have a similar vibe to Claremont's writing. Brian Wood comes to mind almost immediately.

#14 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@squalleon said:

i would take dated writing, over some of the crap we have had recently any day lol. And like you said hes a legend i hope its an ongoing

Agree with this!!!

#15 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont.

Just...Claremont. I don't care if it comes across horridly, I just would love to get a new book written by him and judging by the characters being used, I think things will be fine. And if they're not?

Claremont.

( ^ is happy )

#16 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yay. Another storyline about those cosmic supermodels and one ugly character calling themselves X-Men!

I can't wait to hear about how difficult life is for that beautiful woman who can control the weather and lives in a mansion! Or maybe the guy whose mutant power is the ability to turn off and on invincibility! Or the girl who can phase through walls when she's not a techno genius who looks perfectly normal! And then they'll fight cosmic beings or GENOCIDAL BIGOTS. Because a little subtlety is too much for the Fantastic Four Claremont's X-Men.

Yay, Claremont!

#17 Posted by Dman1366 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually more excited by the Simonsons. I loved their work on the original X-Factor.

this, Louise was a perfect writer who took over The New Mutants when Claremont left too. She wrote great stories. Plus I love Bob Mcleod, I have the entire first series of New Mutants and Bob was such a great artist; I am excited to see him back.

#18 Edited by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Claremont. But I wish he the story didn't focus around these characters in particular. It's too random right now for these:
Cyclops: Fugitive/Terrorist
Rogue: Avenger
Wolverine: Headmaster
Nightcrawler: Dead atm
Kitty & Collosus: Ex's

And SERIOUSLY??
No Storm, No Psylocke, No Rachel, No Iceman, No Magneto!???

Ughhhhhhhhhhh All my favorite characters are absent.. :/

#19 Posted by poisonfleur (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Claremont. But I wish he the story didn't focus around these characters in particular. It's too random right now for these:

Cyclops: Fugitive/Terrorist

Rogue: Avenger

Wolverine: Headmaster

Nightcrawler: Dead atm

Kitty & Collosus: Ex's

And SERIOUSLY??

No Storm, No Psylocke, No Rachel, No Iceman, No Magneto!???
Funny how nobody from the X-men Gold team is even featured. lol (Got me all excited and sh!+)

Ughhhhhhhhhhh All my favorite characters are absent.. :/

#20 Posted by McKlayn (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon said:

Some folks have a similar vibe to Claremont's writing. Brian Wood comes to mind almost immediately.

Rick Remender's Uncanny Avengers has been very Claremont like

#21 Posted by cajunpirate (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Because 57 titles in November featuring either Rogue or Wolverine just aren't enough. No offense to Chris, but I'm a Gambit fan, and there's not one title in November with him, so I'll be on the DC side of Midtown Comics in November, and likely many months more.

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm's not in this...and what a boring line-up. But Claremont.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.