Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Character Rehab - Dazzler Edition

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dazzler was a bold marketing stunt Marvel pulled in the 70's as their version of KISS, but as a disco diva. She was able to hold her own series for the early part of the 80's until falling into obscurity for long periods of time with short term revivals here and there depending on the writer at the time (Claremont's Outback X-Men, New Excalibur). At this point she seems relegated into cameo duty to show up here and there to tease her fans, but what direction would you take her in if given the chance?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Um, she's in X-Treme X-Men atm, which is currently one of the best X-Books out, but alas, it's being cancelled come the end of X-Termination and BENDIS of all focking people wants to use her for his series, so yeah, the future is quite bleak.

I'd like her to join Wood's title, but because of Bendis, that's not happening. Ffs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane said:

Um, she's in X-Treme X-Men atm, which is currently one of the best X-Books out, but alas, it's being cancelled come the end of X-Termination and BENDIS of all focking people wants to use her for his series, so yeah, the future is quite bleak.

I'd like her to join Wood's title, but because of Bendis, that's not happening. Ffs.

I knew it was being cancelled, which is why I treated it as past tense. I am not a fan of the book so while it's no loss to me I never like to see another's fav get cancelled. Exiles was a really good series and I'm surprised they cannot get a title of a similar vein to work.

X-treme X-Men - 12 issues

New Excalibur - 23 issues(?)

Outside of that she had some cameos in X-Men including a street team she was supposed to lead that never went anywhere.

That is a pretty sparse resume for the past couple decades, putting her into a new title is a good start but Bendis? I agree completely that she should be in Wood's new title, if there was ever a book she fit in, that would be it of the current crop.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Blood1991

@AgeofHurricane said:

Where does Bendis want to use her?

Avatar image for storm_ultimatebadass
    Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blood1991 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I thought they said she was being recruited for UXM but dont take my word for that.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Blood1991

@Storm_UltimateBadass said:

@Blood1991 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I thought they said she was being recruited for UXM but dont take my word for that.

Really? Doesn't seem to be in her nature, but I'm sure it will work into it somehow.

Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blood1991 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Really? Doesn't seem to be in her nature, but I'm sure it will work into it somehow.

I agree with you completely, its not particularly the route i would think she would take it just seems out of character. Hopefully im wrong though and they pull her elsewhere.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lykopis

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I knew it was being cancelled, which is why I treated it as past tense. I am not a fan of the book so while it's no loss to me I never like to see another's fav get cancelled. Exiles was a really good series and I'm surprised they cannot get a title of a similar vein to work.

Outside of that she had some cameos in X-Men including a street team she was supposed to lead that never went anywhere.

That is a pretty sparse resume for the past couple decades, putting her into a new title is a good start but Bendis? I agree completely that she should be in Wood's new title, if there was ever a book she fit in, that would be it of the current crop.

She was pretty powerful in Extreme -- I wonder if Bendis will keep that...wait. What am I thinking? Of course he won't. He only likes nonsensical power-ups like teen Jean Grey and nonsensical power-downs like Emma Frost.

Poor Dazzler. It was fun knowing you. It would have been great to see you play in the new X-Men book with the gals -- maybe get you in fighting mode with Fearless Defenders even, but looks like you are destined for female fodder ala Bendis.

Out of all the randoms put together for Uncanny X-Force, I think Dazzler would have been an interesting addition as well.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Blood1991 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

I agree with you completely, its not particularly the route i would think she would take it just seems out of character. Hopefully im wrong though and they pull her elsewhere.

You're probably not wrong, though, and that's the sad thing. She doesn't even like Scott so much anymore.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@lykopis said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

She was pretty powerful in Extreme -- I wonder if Bendis will keep that...wait. What am I thinking? Of course he won't. He only likes nonsensical power-ups like teen Jean Grey and nonsensical power-downs like Emma Frost.

Poor Dazzler. It was fun knowing you. It would have been great to see you play in the new X-Men book with the gals -- maybe get you in fighting mode with Fearless Defenders even, but looks like you are destined for female fodder ala Bendis.

Out of all the randoms put together for Uncanny X-Force, I think Dazzler would have been an interesting addition as well.

VERY powerful, throughout the run he brought back the spark other writers have evidently overlooked, battling Gods, intergalactic killer robots and swarms of demons without breaking a sweat. He even recently hinted at her potential to transcend the body, something that will probably never be touched upon now that the title's going to end, and Bendis is going to handle the character.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Going to sorely miss all of this.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dazzler and cyclops hook-up......:)

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By poisonfleur

I don't know why they didn't make Dazzler the Lady Gaga or Rihanna of the Marvel Universe. It would be a bit gimmicky and catchy, but it would work instead of her current state of affairs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur said:

I don't know why they didn't make Dazzler the Lady Gaga or Rihanna of the Marvel Universe. It would be a bit gimmicky and catchy, but it would work instead of her current state of affairs.

This was actually my take that I was waiting on posting, THANK YOU for stealing my thunder! (LOL)

Mutants need to not only deal with the conventional supervillain conflicts, but constantly wage a PR campaign to push for improved acceptance and relations with humans. Dazzler putting superheroics on the backburner to grow her music career would give her a platform that will accomplish far more for the X-Men, while giving her a unique place among them.

Why the X-leadership has not pushed her in this direction, where she can become their poster child to the public and earn dividends from the adoration of her human and mutant fanbase is hard to argue IMO. If handled correctly it would not be gimmicky in any way, Allison would be an important chess piece on the board and have a far greater impact than at any time in her existence.

Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

You're probably not wrong, though, and that's the sad thing. She doesn't even like Scott so much anymore.

I agree completely with you, it is quite sad because I like Dazzler as a character it was nice to see her in the spotlight being a prominent superhero.

Storm_UltimateBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@poisonfleur said:

This was actually my take that I was waiting on posting, THANK YOU for stealing my thunder! (LOL)

Mutants need to not only deal with the conventional supervillain conflicts, but constantly wage a PR campaign to push for improved acceptance and relations with humans. Dazzler putting superheroics on the backburner to grow her music career would give her a platform that will accomplish far more for the X-Men, while giving her a unique place among them.

Why the X-leadership has not pushed her in this direction, where she can become their poster child to the public and earn dividends from the adoration of her human and mutant fanbase is hard to argue IMO. If handled correctly it would not be gimmicky in any way, Allison would be an important chess piece on the board and have a far greater impact than at any time in her existence.

I like her without the gimmicks, it seems like she is taken more seriously now then she was before. Unless im not fully understanding what your saying, if thats the case please let me know. Because she did put her music career in the forefront plenty of times and she just faded away into the background and wasnt really taken as seriously as she is now.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@poisonfleur said:

I like her without the gimmicks, it seems like she is taken more seriously now then she was before. Unless im not fully understanding what your saying, if thats the case please let me know. Because she did put her music career in the forefront plenty of times and she just faded away into the background and wasnt really taken as seriously as she is now.

Exactly.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By lorex

I have always likes Dazzler and think she has been underutilized. She has finally got some good character development in X-Treme X-Men that shows off her personality without relying on tired pop singer gimmick or her relationship with Longshot. She shined as a leader showing compassion, maturity and depth of character. When X-Treme was canceled I really hoped she would be in the new X-Men title with the other X-Ladies and her being left off that title seems to me there is still an indication that she is not held in the same esteem as the other women in the X-Men even though she has been in the X-Men for quite some time. Whatever happens with her I hope they do not fall back on the music carreer and move forward with her as a leading character. Also in keeping with X-Treme X-Men there was a good display of her powers and how diverse they are and how they are more that light effects and many have said thats all she can do.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Make her powers less annoying to deal with or explain: I've always thought that while transduction wasn't a bad power, it was just too difficult to convey her energy field converting sonic energy into light. Comic books are a visual medium. Basing her power on sound always lead to awkward panels that served to make her seem weaker than she was. Just make her a mutant that can control and manipulate photons.

2. Make her successful: Angst isn't needed for her story. She already explored this angle in the "Dazzler Movie" story and she is past it. I'm glad they are writing her as being happy now, and I think the next step is to just stop treating her like a member of the D-Team.

3. She needs a new costume. I really liked her Age of Apocalypse outfit - I wouldn't mind seeing it again with less skin showing.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By papad1992

Um assuming that Dazzler (and hopefully Sage) return to the 616 universe... they will be in quite a predicament When Dazzler "left," the X-Men were still together living on Utopia: before AvX, before the Jean Grey school, before Regensis, before Schism... that's a lot to take in. Plus Charles is dead and Cyclops and Friends are on the run, I'd want to see her reaction to those tid bits! And Sage has been gone even longer than Dazzler so it would be an even bigger shock since Sage (arguably) was Charles' first "student!"

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By dangallant984

@papad1992: I thought she was on Cyclops' side of the Schism.. wasn't that implied, in the end of the first issue of Uncanny X-men 2? why wouldn't she be now that he's super famous? She's only ever been on the X-men when they were outlaws, really..

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By papad1992

@dangallant984 said:

@papad1992: I thought she was on Cyclops' side of the Schism.. wasn't that implied, in the end of the first issue of Uncanny X-men 2? why wouldn't she be now that he's super famous? She's only ever been on the X-men when they were outlaws, really..

Oh yeah now I remember, Scott asked her to be apart of something (X-Men Street Team) but that never happened!! But after that, she "left."

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dangallant984

@papad1992: yeah, that's what I thought.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darthphoenix

she needs a power up. 2nd mutation pls!

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dangallant984

@darthphoenix said:

she needs a power up. 2nd mutation pls!

what would you do with her powers (or character)?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@papad1992: Sage isn't getting the time of day when she comes back, for quite some time. Though, you'll probs get to see Dazzler's reaction to Cyclops' Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in either ANXM or UXM. That's where she'll be posted.

Lololol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@poisonfleur said:

Exactly.

I understand how you feel, but while it may feel like a gimmick at times, the music part is a central part of her history, and not one I can just say should be be ignored. If you want to tell me this aspect of her has been misused in the past, no argument from me, but I do not believe throwing it away and showing her as just a generic superhero is going to give her any long term popularity or impact.

If the X-Men were shown to take PR seriously other than the half a$$ attempts in the Utopia days, she could be a key part of it and given a chance to establish her own niche that no other character could fill. Many others could fill the one she has now.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@Brazen_Intellect: She sings her way through dimensions in X-Treme, and the first issue of that series debuted some drag-queen posing as her, singing to the crowd, so it's a given that she's still got that ounce of influence over her fans even if she isn't necessarily in the game anymore. But it's not an aspect of her character that's been thrown away, it's still there.

I just wish X-Treme wasn't ending, or that Pak'd keep writing her, the latest issue shows what she's capable of and then some. Some of the underestimation i've seen on this thread is ridiculous.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By papad1992

@AgeofHurricane said:

@papad1992: Sage isn't getting the time of day when she comes back, for quite some time. Though, you'll probs get to see Dazzler's reaction to Cyclops' Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in either ANXM or UXM. That's where she'll be posted.

Lololol.

Really?

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@papad1992: Really.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.