Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Carey's X-Men

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I've just read through the entirety of Mike Carey's run on X-Men Vol.2/Legacy again for the first time in a few years.

Damn, I really liked his stuff on the whole. Not a fan of the Emplate arc if I'm being honest and the Original Sin tie-ins were a little lackluster, but I think his Supernovas (2006) -Messiah complex run is potentially some of my favourite stuff in X-Men history. His work has a real appreciation of X-history, which is so rare nowawadays. When the issues were coming out on a monthly basis I found the pacing a little slow, but they really worked for me when reading them back-to-back. Largely better than Uncanny and most other X-Books during this period (barring only X-Factor pre-Messiah Complex, the end of Whedon's Astonishing and New X-Men Vol.2).

What do other people think?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Koays

One of my favorite runs.

Overshadowed a bit by New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men and X-factor that are more wild praised for being awesome during that same time period

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

One of my favorite runs.

Overshadowed a bit by New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men and X-factor that are more wild praised for being awesome during that same time period

I can't really complain about his characters. Maybe a little Rogue-centric at times, but overall pretty much spot on.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've only read select few parts of his run, but it never particularly stuck out to me.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I loveddd his run, a whole lot. Probably in my top 3-5 runs on X-Men.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revamp said:

I've only read select few parts of his run, but it never particularly stuck out to me.

What'd you read?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revamp said:

What'd you read?

I tried to get into the tail end of his run, but I never continued picking it up. Read crossovers too.

But if its comparable to New X-Men, X-Factor and Astonishing, I might give it a go from the beginning. Seems to be on Marvel Unlimited.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@revamp said:

@john_valentine said:

@revamp said:

What'd you read?

I tried to get into the tail end of his run, but I never continued picking it up. Read crossovers too.

But if its comparable to New X-Men, X-Factor and Astonishing, I might give it a go from the beginning. Seems to be on Marvel Unlimited.

It is. That's where I read it (have some of it in trade, but I think it's out of print now).

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ren_: I was (and still am) reading as I was typing that.

I've actually read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the early part of the run ages ago, I just never realised it was all Carey.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: True but it seems during that period of 04-08 they were trying really hard.to push her, so when her solo ended it wasn't a surprise that they wanted to make her the headliner of a book.

It actually helps the book at points because no matter where you look at it from its rarely about the mainstays and almost always about the "other guys" or C- team of the X-Men And what they're doing when the A and B teams are saving the world or changing the direction of the X-books. Great companion to New X-Men, and Astonishing which show the A-team above them and Junior team beneath them

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@john_valentine: True but it seems during that period of 04-08 they were trying really hard.to push her, so when her solo ended it wasn't a surprise that they wanted to make her the headliner of a book.

It actually helps the book at points because no matter where you look at it from its rarely about the mainstays and almost always about the "other guys" or C- team of the X-Men And what they're doing when the A and B teams are saving the world or changing the direction of the X-books. Great companion to New X-Men, and Astonishing which show the A-team above them and Junior team beneath them

Yeah, I really liked how Carey focused on the New X-Men kids (Indra, Trance, Hellion to an extent). His Professor X and Magneto were written how I'd want to read them too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Carey's Legacy is criminally underrated, and easily in my top 5 modern X-Men runs.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 SC  Moderator

Loved it, I agree it focused on Rogue a bit too much (Xavier deserved the book revolving around him) but it was also rehabilitation for Rogue after decade of bad stories. I think Carey also legit liked Rogue quite a lot, at least he said he did in interviews and all that, I think he focused on her because he wanted to as opposed to being pushed that way, but then it was his work on Rogue that gave her presence elsewhere. Still, I think a lot of his writing at times was too decompressed, and story arcs that were told in five issues could have been done in two. My fav parts were Supernovas arc, the arc in Mumbai, Collision I think, Proteus, Emplate arcs, I really liked the introduction of the Children of the Vault, the focus on the younger X-Men. It endeared me to Karima Shapandar and Lady Mastermind, also I though his characterization of Iceman, Magneto, Emma (and Rogue of course) was excellent. I wish his Gambit characterization was a bit better, though it was nice that he was used.

Also a bit help, not to take anything away from Carey, but he had some amazing artists working with him, Clay Mann especially for me, also, at the time I wasn't really into art styles like Chris Bachalo? I didn't like that level of exaggeration/stylization at the time… but his work in X-Men refined my tastes so to speak.

So positive thoughts and memories. I'd love for Carey to write Uncanny again one day.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adamTRMM

Currently filling the gap with the first arcs of his run. And my feeling is ironic - what a breath of fresh air in comparison to what we have now.

sian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked the Rogue/Magneto relationship which spoiled his tun for me personally, but the Supernovas story arc was terrific, especially with Bachalo's art.

I'm disappointed Rogue is now an Avenger; largely because Remender seems to delight in using her character in a derogatory way. The whole 'Uncanny Avengers' series now seems to be little more than 'Wanda Maximoff and Friends'. Which is fine if you're a Wanda fan, but I'm not.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike Carey is a great writer. Beside Bunn, he's one of my favorite writer. He's right behind Cullen.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John Valentine

Mike Carey is a great writer. Beside Bunn, he's one of my favorite writer. He's right behind Cullen.

Yeah! Bunn is pretty great, especially on Magneto!

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhypocrite said:

Yeah! Bunn is pretty great, especially on Magneto!

Yes, and on Sinestro.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.