Can we come up with average ages for the X-men?!

• 67 results
#51 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4723 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: Ruby Summers is the daughter of Cyclops and Emma Frost from a possible future.

oh, and Cyclops is neither middle-aged, nor does he shoot lasers; he's about 33, and shoots force beams.

#52 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

Hahaha I know, I was *trying* to be sarcastic,

There was an issue somewhere in which a human claimed Cyclops shoots laser beams, in which Cyclops corrected him with 'Force Beams' in the same way it happened here.

33? Hmmm, Always thought he was about 35, but then again, giving a decade range for comic book character is more than enough.

#53 Posted by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@oldnightcrawler: Mm. So you've lumped Emma in the same age category as the rest of the actual X-Men, meaning to say that Storm was around the same age 10ish years ago ? Lol Yeah. I don't think i need to post scans of Storm during the late 80s and 90s to get my message across. Like i said, they age when necessary, that fan-made "ratio" only complicates things.

Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus are all supposed to be the same age as the O5, they just weren't recruited until they were older (as shown in UXM #300). I based Emma's age on a comment she made in Morrison's run that she was 27. My numbers are based on the text, which generally supports the ratio. It's not just arbitrary.

I always thought Storm was a tad bit older than most of the O5 with Kurt being roughly the same age and Colossus being the youngest X-man until Kitty showed up. I'm pretty certain Colossus was the only teenager on the team until Kitty joined.

#54 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Storm was born in 1951, while Jean was born during 1956, so they're not the exact same age if i'm going to be specific. But my point is that Storm, during the 80s and 90s, looked for the majority like she had just hit 40 at the very least, and during the Extremists arc which was in 2007, she looked 50 something, if she was in her early 30s as your credible ratio has proven, then she artists wouldn't go out of their ways to make here look so damn mature. If she's a young as you say, i wouldn't see quite a few people saying she looks like a mom trying out her daughter's clothes in certain outfits, because the general consensus is that she's fairly older than the rest. But then i can only speak for Storm.

And i think this ratio is in fact quite arbitrary, but this comic books. It's never made sense to estimate a character's age based on thought up ratios.

#55 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@polarity: Yes, you're right, Colossus was in fact the youngest out of the second generation.

#56 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4723 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: haha! okay, just checking..

but yeah, between 32-35, it doesn't need to be too specific, but around there by now, anyway.

@polarity said:

@oldnightcrawler said:Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus are all supposed to be the same age as the O5, they just weren't recruited until they were older (as shown in UXM #300). I based Emma's age on a comment she made in Morrison's run that she was 27. My numbers are based on the text, which generally supports the ratio. It's not just arbitrary.

I always thought Storm was a tad bit older than most of the O5 with Kurt being roughly the same age and Colossus being the youngest X-man until Kitty showed up. I'm pretty certain Colossus was the only teenager on the team until Kitty joined.

She could be, but we're never given any reason to think that. I think of it like, at the time of the X-men (vol. 1) #1:

Beast was 18,

Cyclops, Jean, and Angel were 17,

Iceman was 16,

Storm and Nightcrawler were between 16-18,

Colossus was 15.

#57 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4723 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Storm was born in 1951, while Jean was born during 1956, so they're not the exact same age if i'm going to be specific.

what are you basing that on? just curious.

#58 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

Jean's tombstone when she "died" read "1956 - 1980", take that in mind, while for Ororo, there was a panel of her when she was a baby, her parents were holding her and the narration went something like "And it was a hot July of 1951".

You should also take in mind that Sage, the metaphorical 6th X-Man, stated that she was the same age as Beast as they were both recruited around the same time.

#59 Posted by Teerack (7080 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: You know Magneto is a holocaust survivor right? O.o

#60 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4723 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@oldnightcrawler:

Jean's tombstone when she "died" read "1956 - 1980", take that in mind, while for Ororo, there was a panel of her when she was a baby, her parents were holding her and the narration went something like "And it was a hot July of 1951".

You should also take in mind that Sage, the metaphorical 6th X-Man, stated that she was the same age as Beast as they were both recruited around the same time.

well, I do tend to think of relative ages as being more important than actual dates, because if Jean was born in 56, she would have been 7 when she joined the X-men, and Cyclops would be almost 50. That might not sound so crazy, but that would make also make Kitty almost 50 (47?) despite being a teenager for more than twenty years.

Good catch, though, I am willing to concede that Storm must therefore be 4 years older than Jean, and therefore 21 years old at the time of the X-men's debut (maybe 24 when she actually joined?). Perhaps that age difference was one of the reasons she was next in line for leadership after Cyclops.

But, yeah, I did totally forget about Sage, who would've had to have been at least 18 to infiltrate the Hellfire club.

#62 Edited by McKlayn (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

We know time slows down in the Marvel U but maybe we can create a collective list of the different ages of X-men characters. Come up with a age for 5-10 different character and we'll average them out til we come up with a good estimate. Also if you can justify your answers it would help. Like if someone's age was given in a book, would be a great example.

The answer to your question is very simple

Yes we can come up with round about ages of each X man character

HOWEVER

you will never get the entire forum to agree with each other on those ages

#63 Edited by Diamondlifer1 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@silver_raven: Nice estimates except Sunspot if im not mistaken in The New Mutants he was like 4 years younger than Sam and Rhane was a year younger than Roberto and Magma is older than Roberto

#64 Posted by Dman1366 (720 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Emma - 29

Cyclops - 29

Wolverine - 120

Cannonball - 22

Dani Moonstar - 22

Jubilee - 22

Kitty - 24

Colossus - 30

Rogue - 26

Storm - 29

Magneto - Late 60's (but physically like 40 something)

Xavier - Late 60's

Iceman - 26

Characters ages have been thrown around - unfortunately yet not surprisingly they often contradict each other. Plus writers aren't aiming for realism, rather what they feel works best for each character - allowing enough ambiguity for readers to project because ultimately how we project ages determines our own personal enjoyment and the more we individually enjoy the characters the more we are willing to give them money.

this seems about right to me, except I think it was stated that Colossus is about 7 years older than kitty

#65 Edited by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

A couple of things:

Storm is slightly older than the 05.

Colossus is quite a bit younger than the rest of the ANAD team, in fact if Iceman is 26 then he would be a couple of years younger than him.

Sam and Dani are several years older then Kitty and the difference between Sam and Rogue should be measured in months not years. Sam was around 18 when the New Mutants debuted and Rogue was 18 when she joined the x-men.

#66 Posted by mcelroys5th (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I know for a fact that The Five were all about the same age(except for Iceman who was 14) Beast was the oldest by a year and I didn't know who was the youngest of Jean, Scott and Warren so lets say when Havok and Polaris joined up they were Iceman's age and when the second generation(Storm, Wolverine and the like) three years had passed and two years later, the New Mutants started and about four years after that Gen X and a year after that the Xavier school opened. So I say its has been 20 years

Cyclops 36

Iceman 34

Warren 36

Beast 37

Phoenix 30(When she died)

Sage 36

Havok 34

Polaris 34

Nightcrawler 35 (Joined at 19)

Wolverine 208

Storm 36 (Joined at 19)

Colossus 32 (Joined at 18)

Banshee Died at 43 (Joined at 29)

Thunderbird (Joined and Died at 23)

Sunfire 36 (Joined at 19)

Shadowcat 28 (Joined at 13)

Rogue 29 (Joined at 16)

Dazzler 33 (Joined at 23)

Longshot 30 (Joined at 20)

Psylocke 35 (Joined at 23)

Forge 47 (Joined at 35)

Gambit 31 (Joined at 19)

Jubilee 21 (Joined at 13)

Bishop 45 (Joined at 23)

Cannonball 28 (Joined New Mutants at 15, Joined X-Men at 17)

Joseph (Died at 27 & Joined at 24)

Maggott (Died at 23 & Joined 18)

Cecilia Reyes 32 (Joined at 25)

Marrow 27 (Joined at 19)

Thunderbird II 29 (Joined at 25)

X-Man 25 (Joined at 20)

Cable 58 (Joined X-Men at 53, Joined New Mutants at 48)

Northstar 33 (Joined Alpha Flight at 18, Joined X-Men 28)

Wraith 23 (Joined X-Men at 18)

Sunpyre (Died at 20, Joined at 19)

Paulie Provenzo (Died at 26, Joined at 24)

Chamber 26 (Joined Generation X at 18, Joined X-Men at 20)

Frenzy 33 (Joined X-Men at 27)

Husk 24 (Joined Generation X at 16, Joined X-Men at 18)

White Queen 32 (Joined X-Men at 27, Joined Generation X at 24)

#67 Posted by AlienRobotZombieOverlord (4 posts) - - Show Bio

The O5 were high school age when they started: Scott, Jean and Warren were about 16, Hank maybe a year older and Bobby a year younger. That would make Jean about 33 when she died in 1980. The rest of the O5 are in their 70s now and long retired.

Colossus was 14 when he was recruited in 1975 and 40 when he died in 2001. (It was very awkward for him when a 13 year-old Kitty Pryde started hitting on him when he was 20. Kitty's 47 now.) Kurt Wagner was 17 that same year; he died at age 54. Storm was 19; she's still alive in her late 50s now and retired. John Proudstar was 20 and died that same year. Logan was 83 (he was born in 1892), and he's over 120 now and still active. Sean Cassidy was 32 and he retired four years later at age 36.

A lot of younger X-Men are still around, though. For example, Warren had a son, Warren Worthington IV, who later became Archangel...

(Marvel would be a lot more interesting to me if their universe moved at real time and dead people stayed dead.)

#68 Posted by darthphoenix (839 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought white queen is older than the o5

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.