Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Can the X-men movies recover? (A serious discussion)

• 57 results
    Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blacharrt1

Over thanksgiving i took it upon myself to watch X-men first class in it's entirety, and yeah this film was a huge disappoinment on many levels it just doesn't work at all, but none of the x-men movies really have. The Movie Continuum is completely jacked up, from the storyline aspect the best storyline was X2, or character aspect (certainly where the comics are compared), it just seemed to get it wrong.

Going into any viewing of any comic book movie, of course you have to understand certain liberties have to be completely discounted for the sake of the story. So let's take a look at first class abit, the story was really bad, i mean really bad. It literally starts like X1 with magneto in the camp, that whole scene was directly taken from the first movie, but it's like the writer were lazy and said "Let's just copy and paste this scene, then add slightly to it".

(i had a whole middle part with a short synopsis of the movie which seemed to have disappeared) I will sum it up. Shaw's appearence at the beginning along with his room of metal things was completely nonsensical. Magneto the nazi killing bond was weird an didn't really fit into the whole let's form a group of mutants. The group of mutants did literally nothing at all until after an attack but sit around. Charles X and Mistique's relationship was weird, and the setup for that made no sense. Was Charles X british in this film or American, the plot was really vague at parts and just skipped a good bit of details. They wrote Mistique as clingy again, and not the badass she is. Cuban mission crisis did really fit with mutant agenda.

What clearly came to mine here, is what X-men/Fox was trying to achieve with this film, however the execution was way off. The pacing for the story was bad, and the plot itself made no real sense. This film would never be an Avenger's movie, and that is what i think Fox was going for. I would say out of all of the X-men movies i have seen thus far, the main problem isn't the cg, or the actors themselves, or even the horrible liberties the scene writer takes with the characters, no it's the story itself, and the pacing. What Marvel has done really well is gave each of the characters ample scene time and establish a coherent and cohesive storyline that they drill into the ground and are completely faithful to. Have they taken the same liberties with characters throughout the series yes, have they changed powerset a little yeah, and they didn't pick the most likely people to play these characters. But their story works and so does their overall plot. I would say X-men really suffer from a lack of a long term goal as far as film making, i would also say DC suffers from the same thing.

It's my hope that Future's past won't suffer from the same problem as this film, or the other previous x movies. Or that they won't just be trying to throw as many mutants at the wall as possible to distract from a horrible plot. What do you guys think, should Fox, or Time Warner, start to develop a more long term gameplan for their movies, in order to keep the plot cohesive and the storyline flowing, or should they continue with there current hit and miss approach and cgi overload? I'd love to hear what you think.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

at this point Fox doesnt care about their messed up continuity. they are just going to put out new movies and have you ignore everything.

Also. TimeWarner doesn't own Fox.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

To me, the X-Men franchise as a whole is mediocre to just plain awful. The best one is X2 and compared to other super hero movies, even that isn't very good. I'm interested in DoFP...but if it's not good, it won't shock me.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They already have in my opinion. After 2 solid movies in First Class and The Wolverine, i'm VERY excited to see DOFP.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at this point Fox doesnt care about their messed up continuity. they are just going to put out new movies and have you ignore everything.

Time Warner owns DC...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine008

They already have in my opinion. After 2 solid movies in First Class and The Wolverine, i'm VERY excited to see DOFP.

Agreed.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

Time Warner owns DC...

...and? ...X-Men isn't DC...

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacharrt1 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Time Warner owns DC...

... you are missing the point of the question, Both Fox, and Time Warner, have issues with storytelling of characters.. which is why i added them to the question. So if you could not nitpick the question out of context, that would be great. You could simply choose not to answer the part about Time Warner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Short answer? No.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager said:

@blacharrt1 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Time Warner owns DC...

... you are missing the point of the question, Both Fox, and Time Warner, have issues with storytelling of characters.. which is why i added them to the question. So if you could not nitpick the question out of context, that would be great. You could simply choose not to answer the part about Time Warner.

Your post mentions nothing specifically about DC, you just tag it on at the end.

And DC doesn't have issues. They only have 1 movie. They don't have enough of a continuity to screw up.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OutlawRenegade

Isn't that why they are doing a time travel story? To reboot the franchise, get back killed-off characters, and get new opportunities back?

I mean, Fox may interpret things more liberally than Marvel studios, but so does Sony and WB. I've liked X-Men, X2, The Wolverine, and First Class, so whatever Fox has in the pipe, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt--especially since they have Josh Trank (Chronicle), Matthew Vaughn (First Class; Kick-Ass), Simon Kinberg (First Class; Sherlock Holmes), and Mark Millar (various Marvel comics) at the helm of the X-Men, F4, and X-Force franchises.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can certainly agree that first class was way way off as far as the story is concerned. I thought the cuban missle crisis angle was good. For me though I tend to want Magneto's story told like the Greg Pak testament book and Professor X story/origin to stay somewhat closer to the actual thing and not liberally taken adaptation. While im entertained by the movies, generally I think the franchise needs work

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Even though I'm okay with the movies for the most part (although the continuity issues are troubling to me), I would be okay with a reboot in the film franchise, but it all depends on who has the rights to the X-Men by then. If Marvel gets the rights back, then they should definitely reboot this film franchise since things would change dramatically once they are introduced into the MCU. But, if Fox continues to hold onto those rights, then what they really need to do in the future is to plan ahead just like you said and make sure each film is at least connected to each other instead of going off the rails too much.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agreed. although i think that they have potential to beyond that

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TazzMission

first 2 will always be the best with first class in third and the wolverine being fourth. now i will say the only thing i didnt like about the wolverine was the whole 20 arrows in the back when he was running to save the chick. i just thought it looked terrible but other than that i thought it was a far better movie than orgins

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to get their continuity together first and foremost. They're all over the place right now and really don't seem to care. However, First Class and The Wolverine were both decent, and I assume that with time travel playing a part in the next movie it'll be something of a Fix-Flick to get things back on track. At the moment however the entire franchise is fairly lackluster.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TazzMission

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Need to get their continuity together first and foremost. They're all over the place right now and really don't seem to care. However, First Class and The Wolverine were both decent, and I assume that with time travel playing a part in the next movie it'll be something of a Fix-Flick to get things back on track. At the moment however the entire franchise is fairly lackluster.

what they need to do really is keep singer for as long as they can ( seriously pay him whatever he asks) and maybe dofp can i dunno erase the first 3 films and develop a continuity of sorts afterwards coming off from dofp as i said i loved the first 2 but i think ratner dropped the ball with x3 big time to where people always assume whatever movie or spinoff is brought out may be similar.

i think they should bring in the guy who played gambit from orgins into a futrue film because i think he did great for the small ammount of time he had in such a horrible movie. id also like to see jubilee and maybe morph in the future as well. heck why not do a trilogy based on cyclops where it involved the summers family introduce his dad who is the crook of the universe and havoc who is more adult now and bring in mister sinister?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jhazzroucher

I believe we just need a different director. I think the Fantastic Four movie director can pull it off for a successful x-men movie.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blacharrt1

@outlawrenegade: I heard the time travel was suppose to fix the issue, but if the issue is bad story telling... I don't think sending people back in time is going to get you better writers and directors. I saw this as a even more of a reason to link the previous ones than try to start from scratch, but again First Class was suppose to be that start from scratch... so how many missteps can you have?

@fallschirmjager:Um no Dc has more than 1 film, and the Most recent MOS was suppose to be part of the Nolan universe Dark Knight batman, that's just a fact. So DC was actively trying to create a continuum off the last run of Batman, Bale bailing out kind of killed that, until Affleck took his place. So the question still applies for Time Warner.

Question: is anyone having problem with the site deleting part of your post?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@blacharrt1 said:

@outlawrenegade: I heard the time travel was suppose to fix the issue, but if the issue is bad story telling... I don't think sending people back in time is going to get you better writers and directors. I saw this as a even more of a reason to link the previous ones than try to start from scratch, but again First Class was suppose to be that start from scratch... so how many missteps can you have?

@fallschirmjager:Um no Dc has more than 1 film, and the Most recent MOS was suppose to be part of the Nolan universe Dark Knight batman, that's just a fact. So DC was actively trying to create a continuum off the last run of Batman, Bale bailing out kind of killed that, until Affleck took his place. So the question still applies for Time Warner.

Question: is anyone having problem with the site deleting part of your post?

No. MoS is the first film in their universe going forward. MoS isn't in the same universe as Nolan's Batman. That is a fact.

Bale had nothing to do with it. Nolan NEVER wanted his Batman mixed with anyone and they didn't because they were so successful. That's why Superman Returns and Green Lantern weren't apart of his universe either.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I believe Fox is going to do some major clean ups with the continuity of their X-Verse with Days of Future Past (such as bringing Cyclops back) and give the whole thing a soft-reboot and start things fresh with the cast from First Class.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stephen Lang should be cable

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe we just need a different director. I think the Fantastic Four movie director can pull it off for a successful x-men movie.

why? singer gave us 2 fantastic x-men films with x1 and x2. i say just forget orgin films and focus more on the team itself really. also mathew vaughn did a great job with first class

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

There would be no comic movies without the X-Men films that paved the way.

First Class was great, that movie actually had more emotional depth than any Marvel film and incorporated a lot of good ideas.

X-Men First Class takes place in a different timeline then the other X-Men films. I am suspecting that DOFP will unite the timelines.

Finally, how is this a "serious conversation" It seems to me like the OP is just bashing a movie. The fact that Magneto goes from Nazi hunter to the formation of a group of mutants was one of the sub plots of the film. He started out as a loner and was convinced by Charles that he needed other mutants, and together they needed to work for a better future, Magneto just saw the darker side of the future.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Stephen Lang should be cablen

No Caption Provided

He needs to Buff up a bit

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

why? singer gave us 2 fantastic x-men films with x1 and x2. i say just forget orgin films and focus more on the team itself really. also mathew vaughn did a great job with first class

Singer had a ton to do with First Class, he oversaw the writing of it, produced it and was supposed to direct it and only didn't because he was contractually obligated to direct another movie. He gave Vaughn a ton of tips when directing First Class also. First Class is very much a Singer film.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SilverPool

Why are you saying this as if it's fact?

I and many others enjoyed First Class, I actually thought it was the best X-Men film to come out, and being that the movies are consistently successful, and aren't really following 3 I don't see how they can't "recover" from whatever it was you think damaged them.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

No Caption Provided

he is fine and dosent need to beef up insanley . he played a kick ass villain in avatar so he has the acting chops. also i heard he is back in avatar 2 wich makes me question how since he died in the last film

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There would be no comic movies without the X-Men films that paved the way.

First Class was great, that movie actually had more emotional depth than any Marvel film and incorporated a lot of good ideas.

X-Men First Class takes place in a different timeline then the other X-Men films. I am suspecting that DOFP will unite the timelines.

Finally, how is this a "serious conversation" It seems to me like the OP is just bashing a movie. The fact that Magneto goes from Nazi hunter to the formation of a group of mutants was one of the sub plots of the film. He started out as a loner and was convinced by Charles that he needed other mutants, and together they needed to work for a better future, Magneto just saw the darker side of the future.

This.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@thecheesestabber said:

@tazzmission said:

No Caption Provided

he is fine and dosent need to beef up insanley . he played a kick ass villain in avatar so he has the acting chops. also i heard he is back in avatar 2 wich makes me question how since he died in the last film

Hes signed up all the way to 4

When asked he said something about having his DNA stored somewhere

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

@thecheesestabber said:

@tazzmission said:

No Caption Provided

Hes signed up all the way to 4

When asked he said something about having his DNA stored somewhere

oh shit i didnt know he was in the next 3.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TazzMission

i can see someone like hugh laurie as Corsair

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

this chick for jubilee ( no idea who the actress is)

No Caption Provided

him as gambit again

No Caption Provided

same worthington for havok

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Stephen Dorff for mr. sinister

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I wasn't super into The Wolverine (though I thought it was decent), but, yeah, I thought :First Class was the best one yet, so I'm excited.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OutlawRenegade

Hopefully the roster after DOFP is one of these two options:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It would also be cool to get an X-men and Fantastic Four team up down the line. Maybe even get the Shia'r involved? ;D

No Caption Provided

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

i just hope they keep James Marsden for cyclops.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you saying this as if it's fact?

I and many others enjoyed First Class, I actually thought it was the best X-Men film to come out, and being that the movies are consistently successful, and aren't really following 3 I don't see how they can't "recover" from whatever it was you think damaged them.

Agreed. I thought the first X movie was ok, the other 2 were garbage, and Origins was just sad. First Class revived my faith in the X-Men appearing on the big screen.

@outlawrenegade for that X/4 team-up they'd also have to get the FF's live action movies sorted out first, though I agree if dont right it'd be pretty awesome.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First class was ok. Tho who ever wrote it obviously didn't care to watch the previous movies. That honestly just killed the whole movie for me. They also don't know basic science since there is a part where they tell banshee to use his sound waves to go super sonic. I'm mean LOL are they dumb?

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot said:

First class was ok. Tho who ever wrote it obviously didn't care to watch the previous movies. That honestly just killed the whole movie for me. They also don't know basic science since there is a part where they tell banshee to use his sound waves to go super sonic. I'm mean LOL are they dumb?

No one ever says that. Beast remarks that the SR-71 jet he builds is supersonic.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By goobot

@emequious_swerve said:

@goobot said:

No one ever says that. Beast remarks that the SR-71 jet he builds is supersonic.

http://youtu.be/x9nAu6Ove4c go to 28 seconds in.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

@goobot said:

@emequious_swerve said:

@goobot said:

His sound waves are super sonic, lol. Whats not believable about that? Thats why Banshees scream has always been referred to a "sonic scream". Banshee himself is not going super sonic.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot said:

@emequious_swerve said:

@goobot said:

His sound waves are super sonic, lol. Whats not believable about that? Thats why Banshees scream has always been referred to a "sonic scream". Banshee himself is not going super sonic.

His sound waves can't go super sonic because super sonic means to go faster than sound. How does a sound wave go faster than sound? A "sonic scream' would be fine since it just means it is going at normal sound wave speed.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought First Class was amazing, one of my favourite films with the Marvel tag.

That said, in response to the question can the movies recover, i'd say no. Days of Future Past is their retcon movie, and IMO, their one chance to turn this franchise around. AND THEY ALREADY SCREWED IT UP. Its pretty telling that the only X-Men movie thats any good is the one that wasnt done by Singer and wasnt a Wolverine Wank-Fest. But when it comes time to make a movie based on one of the most classic, non-Wolverine focused comic book arcs, they bring Singer back and it becomes a Wolverine wank-fest.

This was their chance to totally erase X-Men 1-3.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TazzMission

@outlawrenegade said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It would also be cool to get an X-men and Fantastic Four team up down the line. Maybe even get the Shia'r involved? ;D

No Caption Provided

ill probably be judged for this but what is the difference between the uncanny and ultimate x-men? i have said before im not that knowledgable on that particular universe

Rebelpunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The films need to be "George Lucased". Never thought I would say that lol. Anyway they need to go back and fix some of the continuity problems. For example make Beast's small cameo in X2 .. and make him blue and replace it with Kelsey Grammar, replace the crappy cgi Patrick Stewart in Xmen Origins with James Mcavoy, erase the death of Cyclops and make it so he went in a coma. etc etc. The special edition and changing of scenes in the Star Wars films angered many fans but I could see this working for X-Fans

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For me no.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

I wouldn't go as far to say Fantastic...maybe back then they were but now they're decent.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

First Class and The Wolverine and now DOFP. X-Men franchise is heading in the right direction after The Last Stand and Wolverine origins. And the news of the 2016 film just tells me the X-Men films are going to be in good hands.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot said:

His sound waves can't go super sonic because super sonic means to go faster than sound. How does a sound wave go faster than sound? A "sonic scream' would be fine since it just means it is going at normal sound wave speed.

Dude, its a movie about comic book characters with super powers, why is scientific facts being incorrect so surprising??

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The films need to be "George Lucased". Never thought I would say that lol. Anyway they need to go back and fix some of the continuity problems. For example make Beast's small cameo in X2 .. and make him blue and replace it with Kelsey Grammar, replace the crappy cgi Patrick Stewart in Xmen Origins with James Mcavoy, erase the death of Cyclops and make it so he went in a coma. etc etc. The special edition and changing of scenes in the Star Wars films angered many fans but I could see this working for X-Fans

if your talking only x3 and orgins i will agree. i still think x1 and x2 are 2 of the best films for that franchise with first class being third

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.