Bunch of X-Men questions. So confused.

#1 Posted by giantarms (181 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I've been reading the trades since House of M, but must have missed a few. When, exactly, did Magneto go "good". I feel I never heard from him, then suddenly, there was that issue where he shows up on Utopia, and he rescues Kitty from that space bullet, and then he's embraced by everyone. So, I get that he's good now. He's been good for a while. But what happened BEFORE that issue? I must have missed the story where he had a soul-changing moment. Can anyone explain?
  • What writer would you consider to be the DEFINITIVE (unquestionable) voice of the X-Men in the last 3 years? Put aside your personal preferences. Which writer controlled and wrote the largest, most infuential stories. Was it Matt Fraction, or someone else? I'm just curious who, OBJECTIVELY, and below the editors themselves, had the most amount of influence/control over the X-Universe in recent history.
  • Is it explained how or why Colossus isn't Juggernaut ALL THE TIME? Juggernaut never had an on/off switch like Colossus did. What gives?
  • I havent' read Wolverine and the X-Men yet. Does Iceman get any field action now? Does he get to fight? Or is he just teaching.
  • So I read Dark Angel Saga Part1. Near the end, the AOA Iceman is shown to be running from the battle from a window in the fortress. He's like "I'm out of here!". He completely abandons the team. What gives? I read all of the original AOA, and Iceman was a badass in that universe. He'd never run from a battle. Was this just horrible writing, or was there a legit reason they'd make him run like a coward?
  • Since when did Beast come back? I thought he went to the Avengers.
#2 Posted by McKlayn (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

ok let me see, i don't know the answer to all these so ill do the ones i can lol

First three questions i'm not sure enough to try to give an answer, (i'd hate to give you the wrong one lol) As for Wolverine & the X men. He fights a bit, they all do not much real teaching in the book but honestly not much fighting either, a bunch of random events lol it's a fun book but thats about the best i cna say about it.

As for AOA Iceman, i think it's suppose to be him fed up, all the death and despair finally built up and him saying fuck it. He sees a way to get out and he takes it, a bit of him being selfish more then cowardly.

Beast came back in Wolverine & The X men. When Wolverine took his group and left utopia he called up beast and got him to join the school

As far as the Magneto question (it's been a while since i read those stories) i think he just comes and kneels before cyclops i don't think there is much of a build up before that. Everyone IIRC was expecting a fight, then after that they slowly kept an eye on him until he proves himself in battle. I think it just wasn't written out very well (like i said it's been a while since i read them myself)

And for the Juggs question, well i think it's just the writer wanted to be different? LIke the Juggs hat was removable and he go this power from a jewel too if i remeber right. They even found the Jewel in a recent dark Avengers or something and cain got his powers back from it. So i think they just wanted to write him different, no real explanation given. Guess they figured since he got the powers from some demon guy the demon guy could work it how the hell ever he wanted? lol best one i can give you for that one

And your writer question, the hardest part of that is i have a hard time gauging in my head how far back events go so last three years is like kind of hard to remeber who wrote what and what's fallen into that time period. More then likely Fraction though, although everyone seems to hate him on this site lol. Mike Carey i think have been writing X titles constantly during that time as well, though it was mainly legacy i believe . Also the last year Kieren (sp?) gillen and Aaron has thier runs on WATXM & Uncanny so that's at least a year or a little more they have been very influential in the X verse so yea the last three years i think has been alot of transition for x writers, i think Fraction was the last "voice" for the X men though, and i think Bendis is taking his spot

#3 Edited by RemyThePirate (5 posts) - - Show Bio

The Magneto part, I actually liked. He swore loyalty to Cyclops, because of the stuff Cyclops has done to keep the mutants safe. It's right after he resurrected Asteroid M and named it Utopia, giving them have their own sovereign land, when Osborn was trying to run them out of San Francisco. Basically, he was impressed. I actually was impressed too when I read that. One of my favorite scenes in the last issues of the Uncanny X-Men.

Regarding Colossus, it was mentioned multiple times that he's fighting the urge to become the Juggernaut. I read this as Cain just wants the power, so he's The Juggernaut all the time. With Colossus, he didn't want it, he was forced to take it.

Kieron Gillen is one of my favorites on the later Uncanny issues. I like Matt Fraction's run too, except for the Madelyne Prior issues... I didn't like those stories at all.

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

@giantarms said:

• I've been reading the trades since House of M, but must have missed a few. When, exactly, did Magneto go "good". I feel I never heard from him, then suddenly, there was that issue where he shows up on Utopia, and he rescues Kitty from that space bullet, and then he's embraced by everyone. So, I get that he's good now. He's been good for a while. But what happened BEFORE that issue? I must have missed the story where he had a soul-changing moment. Can anyone explain?
  • What writer would you consider to be the DEFINITIVE (unquestionable) voice of the X-Men in the last 3 years? Put aside your personal preferences. Which writer controlled and wrote the largest, most infuential stories. Was it Matt Fraction, or someone else? I'm just curious who, OBJECTIVELY, and below the editors themselves, had the most amount of influence/control over the X-Universe in recent history.
  • Is it explained how or why Colossus isn't Juggernaut ALL THE TIME? Juggernaut never had an on/off switch like Colossus did. What gives?
  • I havent' read Wolverine and the X-Men yet. Does Iceman get any field action now? Does he get to fight? Or is he just teaching.
  • So I read Dark Angel Saga Part1. Near the end, the AOA Iceman is shown to be running from the battle from a window in the fortress. He's like "I'm out of here!". He completely abandons the team. What gives? I read all of the original AOA, and Iceman was a badass in that universe. He'd never run from a battle. Was this just horrible writing, or was there a legit reason they'd make him run like a coward?
  • Since when did Beast come back? I thought he went to the Avengers.
  1. There was no real soul-changing moment that we saw. In Uncanny X-Men #500 Magneto showed up at the X-Men's San Fran launch party, apparently re-powered, and went crazy and attacked people (This scene was probably just for shock value and to mark the X-Men's classic enemy in this anniversary issue. It added nothing to the plot and was not really referenced again).

We saw Erik again at the end of Uncanny X-Men #507, where he was successfully re-powered by the High Evolutionary (permanently this time). The next time we see him is in Uncanny X-Men #515/516 where he comes to Utopia, and kneels down to Scott as mutant leader. (Maybe this is what is said about Magneto in Destiny's diaries which he receives from Skids at the end of Uncanny X-Men #491, the final issue of the Extremists arc and the last Uncanny X-Men arc before Messiah Complex).

Magneto decided to follow Scott because he embodies the leadership of mutant-kind - the contemporary realization of Magneto's dream. Scott rose Asteroid M out of the ocean and united all of the remaining mutants, something Erik never himself managed to do, keeping them from the brink of extinction. Magneto has mentioned several times that he follows Scott's X-Men as they best serve his interests and goals.
  2. Fraction's been off the titles for near two years. Gillen took what Fraction did and made it better, whilst setting Cyclop's X-Men, the real X-Men, up for AvX and after. Did great character work with Cyclops, Hope, Namor/Emma, Magik, Colossus, Danger, Psylocke, Magneto etc.
  3. I think the point is that Colossus was Juggernaut the whole time, but was keeping the demon under control.
  4. Ice-Man does get field action and character development, especially in the first and second arcs. He's prominently featured throughout the book. So, yes. Unfortunately Aaron spends too much time focusing on lame characters like Broo and the Hellfire Brats and includes stupid, unfunny and "wacky" things in WaTXM to try and make it fun.
  5. I think it's just that AoA Bobby had finally had enough. It's more of a matter of him being selfish, rather than cowardly. He'd spent most of his life in constant struggle and battle, trying the liberate the world from tyrants - first Apocalypse, then Weapon X. He'd lost countless friends and pretty much everything he held dear, and just wanted a break. He saw the opportunity and took it.
  6. Beast joined the faculty of the JGSHL shortly before WaTXM #1.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.