Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Bryan Singer Wants To Return To 'X-Men' Franchise

• 74 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Singer: "I've been talking to Fox about it"

No Caption Provided

Even though X-Men director Bryan Singer opted out of directing the most recent X-Men film, 'X-Men: The Last Stand,' in a recent interview this past Sunday he cited his interest on working on another 'X-Men' film, given the opportunity according to a report from AP.

"I'm still looking to possibly returning to the 'X-Men' franchise. I've been talking to Fox about it," Singer said at a talk at South Korea's Pusan International Film Festival.

During open talks during the Pusan International Film Festival in South Korea, he expressed exactly why he has such an affinity for the X-Men films and the science fiction and superhero genre. 

"The excitement about working in science fiction and fantasy is — the stories, if they are good, are about the human condition,.. [I like to] trick audiences into thinking they're seeing fireworks, but they're learning about themselves and listening to what I have to say."

The idea that the stories behind the X-Men characters and movies are essentially about the human condition seem to be pretty accurate. The books have always dealt with tolerance and the idea that just because something is different, that it does not make it bad. Whether I believe Singer when he says that his love for the franchise is due to the "human condition" issues that are prevalent in both the characters and themes in the series; or because the 'X-Men' have been a clearly profitable franchise, is a different thing entirely. I will admit though that it is nice to see Singer value the issues that the characters represent. 

As a fan of the 'X-Men' books and franchise, did you see a difference between Singer's 'X-Men' films (X-Men, X2: X-Men United) from the Brett Ratner directed 'X-Men: The Last Stand' and Gavin Hood's 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'? Which film did you prefer? Would you like to see Singer return as the director of the franchise?
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By Pania

OH GAWD PLEASE YES!

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Precise

But please don't let it be centered around Wolverine..

Timm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Timm

its too far gone. This franchise cant be saved.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jefprice

In directing I thought Brett did great. The issues that film had were rewrites of rewrites before he ever came on. BS tends to have awful dialog in his films. "What happens to a toad.." "I forgot how warm you are..." Etc 

He also made the mistake of not bringing back the most impressive villain in the first film (Toad/Ray Park) for round 2. Also according to what I've read,   he's the reason Alan didn;t want to do another film. 

I would rather see them do a good script and let someone else take a shot. BS has done his thing, let's see someone new.

LJHalsall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By LJHalsall

would be awesome if it happened. 

Think they are both by far the best two x films. 

Just hope it happens

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bruce Vain

I say thank you and let him return.

He never wanted to stop doing the X-Men films in the first place. He told FOX let me go do Superman and then I'll return and do X-3 , but NOOOOO. FOX wanted X-3 now and instead of waiting patiently they rushed it, and got a terrible untalented director. That gave us the crapfest of X-Men 3. The only good we got out of that movie was Beast, Danger Room, full ice formed Iceman,& a little more Colossus (but him not having accent I don't like).

So I say let Singer return, and let him pick up the pieces that Brett broke and gives us the "3rd" X-Men movie we really wanted.  I hope he'll want to bring in Apocalypse and Mr,Sinister.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey

Reboot!  Reboot!  It needs to be done.  It needs to be fresh.  The only returning X-man I would like to see is Prof X.  Do a New Mutants.  Cannonaball as leader.  We want the action first character development 2nd.  Bring in some new blood. Rise Apacalypse.  Something New anything new.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey
    @Bruce Vain said:
    "

I say thank you and let him return.

He never wanted to stop doing the X-Men films in the first place. He told FOX let me go do Superman and then I'll return and do X-3 , but NOOOOO. FOX wanted X-3 now and instead of waiting patiently they rushed it, and got a terrible untalented director. That gave us the crapfest of X-Men 3. The only good we got out of that movie was Beast, Danger Room, full ice formed Iceman,& a little more Colossus (but him not having accent I don't like).

So I say let Singer return, and let him pick up the pieces that Brett broke and gives us the "3rd" X-Men movie we really wanted.  I hope he'll want to bring in Apocalypse and Mr,Sinister.

"

Well how about Halle berry having an accent then not having an accent.  She is so hot tho, I don't care.
    Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stormultt

yes, thank god this is good news now if we could just hang brett ratner
    Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Emerald Warrior

ALL I CAN SAY IS:
     NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Emerald Warrior
    @Timm: agreed...and thus a reboot (minus singer) is in order!!!
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By SuperXAsh

only if he acts like X3 and Wolverine Origins never happened. :P
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Decept-O

@Bruce Vain:  Not being picky I am actually having probs with my memory on this one; was Iceman completely iced up?  I don't recall that happening.  I do recall him shooting some freeze blasts, but I don't remember seeing him in full ice-mode from head to toe.  My memory must be bad or I need to watch it again although I really don't want to waste my money again.   Anyone have any screen shots or can provide a link?  My memory is failing me hard on this one I must have missed it or it was too brief a scene.

Its hard to say though whether any of this is good or bad news.  Look what Singer did with Superman Returns; maybe his direction was good but the story was a crapfest as well.  Same with Ratner; the director was OK but it was the story that sucked ass.   

Its the fact both directors went along with the studios and the writers decisions to muck up 2 distinct and basically secure franchises that has me a bit edgy about any X-Men or Superman movie news.  Might be too little too late as it is.
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#14  Edited By HaloKing343

X2 was the best and The Last Stand was the worst. I thought the first Xmen movie was good and I thought the Wolverine movie was good. They were both origin movies, so I guess that's to be expected.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrinceIMC

I say give Bryan the Magneto movie and let him go from there but let some new people handle other future X-Men movies.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Timm said:
    "its too far gone. This franchise cant be saved. "

:-(
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By Comiclove5

Gotta ingnore X3M:TLS and XM:WO never and the next installment will be good to go.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Moomin123

I think a new X-Men film will be good. He could incorporate Apocalypse. 
    If there is a new film, then I hope Magneto's powers are fully restored and that the Brotherhood of Mutants returns with some of the more well known members, Sabretooth, Mystique (If she somehow gets her powers back), Blob, Quicksilver (before he turns good), Juggernaught, Pyro and Scarlett Witch (before she turns good). 
    I wouldn't mind Deadpool making an appearence. 

Magneto
    Magneto

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By johnny_spam

So he left the third X-Men to do a Superman movie as a result both were terrible. I wonder if he never did  Superman Returns would it's franchise be better now. I never got how mutant issues should represent  the human condition in X-Men you ask me superpowers are a different thing all together.

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nyogtha
    @johnny spam: It's called reading between the lines. It's not about the powers, it's about the outlook on humanity twords them. Civil rights, discrimination, pulling your self above all that, biting your tongue and helping those who hate you. It's a bit old testament with Xavier but it's the human condition put into a fantastical form.
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrCipher

I think the movies are too far gone. A full reboot is the only answer. They generally miscast except for Cyclops Kitty Pride and Nightcrawler with a passable Mystique.  
    Hugh Jackman - too tall and getting obviously old; Halle Berry - too short, no accent, bad hair,  Famke Janssen - just huge; Anna Paquin; too young, not attracitve either; Ian McKellen - way too old; Patrick Stewart - perfect back in the 80s otherwise way to old; Ray Park - umm nope; dude who played Sabretooth: could have been good with speaking role, dude who played Juggernaut - fake muscles anyone?; Kelsey Grammer - looked great, his voice is too distinct (all I could see was Frasier) 
    This just gets me into the question of why not start with an early group of X-Men and add Wolverine into it later in the 1st film instead of making him the star? He was a tertiary character for more than a decade and no whe's the center of attention. I get changing things for time constraints and so on, but we didn't even get a feeling of established relationship between Scott and Jean before Wolverine shows up. 
    Saving Angel and Ice Man for the 2nd and 3rd movies was also a massive mistake in my opinion. they are founding members. 
    And then the costumes - uggh black leather makes me want to hurl. Spiderman 1, 2, and 3 proved that colorful spandex looks good on screen when done well and Daredevil proved that colorful leather could also have been an option - but black leather and trenchcoats come on people let's get a little more creative...
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Nyogtha:
    I understand that's the theme but I never latched onto it or thought it made sense because superpowers would be a whole seperate issue, Kingdom Come makes more sense to me dealing with superpowered populations.
    Inthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Inthedark

Well since there doing origins maybe an X-men First class. The only question is can the movie be sold to none comic book fans without wolverine?

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Om1kron
    @Precise said:
    " But please don't let it be centered around Wolverine.. "
    Seriously what x-men film wasn't centered around Wolverine? 
    robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robbiesol

I wonder which one of the X-Men will spy on his ex-girlfriend like an emo? 

mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mv

NO thank you

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Decept-O:  
    Yea he did full ice form when him and Pyro were going toe to toe with their powers. I don't blame you trying to forget that movie lol. 

And yea I have a pic of him. Also , would've been a perfect oppurtunity to show him doing his ice slide when everyone was make their entrances on the island right before they were going to fight.

@goldenkey:
    Well it was probably cause she did a shitty job with an African accent lol. Don't get me wrong I think Halle is hot, but I wanted Angela Basset as Storm. Sucks she turned it down. I don't think that was a wise move on her cause what's the last movie anyone remembers she did recently? 

antemiusenteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By antemiusenteri

NO NO NO DON'T LET HIM BACK HE GOING TO PUT STORM IN THE BACK ROUND OF THE MOVIE IF HIS EVEN GOING TO PUT HER IN ............OH MY GOD WHAT IF HE KILLS HER PEOPLE PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................. ok so it's a little bit out but am a storm fan boy she comes first

hulksmash012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hulksmash012
    @Decept-O said:
    "@Bruce Vain:  Not being picky I am actually having probs with my memory on this one; was Iceman completely iced up?  I don't recall that happening.  I do recall him shooting some freeze blasts, but I don't remember seeing him in full ice-mode from head to toe.  My memory must be bad or I need to watch it again although I really don't want to waste my money again.   Anyone have any screen shots or can provide a link?  My memory is failing me hard on this one I must have missed it or it was too brief a scene.  Its hard to say though whether any of this is good or bad news.  Look what Singer did with Superman Returns; maybe his direction was good but the story was a crapfest as well.  Same with Ratner; the director was OK but it was the story that sucked ass.   Its the fact both directors went along with the studios and the writers decisions to muck up 2 distinct and basically secure franchises that has me a bit edgy about any X-Men or Superman movie news.  Might be too little too late as it is. "

At the end during his fight with pyro he goes full-ice for about ten seconds
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sparda

Yes, let him back on! X1 and X2 were great movies. X3 was alright (at best), and WO was pretty crummy (unfortunately).......just give the franchise back to him and never take it away ever again. It can still be saved, damn it. No reboot either, please.

hulksmash012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hulksmash012

And I honestly think that if they could pull off a script that made sense for an X-Men 4 then Bryan Singer should be the one to direct it. Do I think it likely? No. If they redid the whole series would I be happy? No. I agreed with it when they started Batman over. But X3, all things considered was still an ok movie. I really only didn't like two things about it. 1.) Too many people died. 2.) It didn't allow a fourth movie, and i remember reading an interview he did somewhere (can't remember where, might have been wizard magazine) where he purposely made it so the series would stop at 3. Something about movies should never go longer than that or some BS. Anyway, if you change those two things, it would have been so much better of a movie.
    XXXStone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By XXXStone

I say this WREAKS OF AWESOMENESS!!!  After the travesty that was X3, this is something that is needed.  I just hope that if he does come back that it's not another Wolverine story.  The one thing I always felt was missing was the fact to me X-Men is about the FRIGGIN X-MEN!!! Not Wolverine's tortured past of how he can't remember anything.  It was about the team.  Bring that into the X-Men movies and I'll be a happy camper. Oh and also bring in Mr. Sinister....
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Obsurity

Perhaps start fresh with X-men First Class. It would kinda be a reboot, sorta 

X-men: TLS suxed, the highlight was beast. That's about it... WO was ok I didn't see where all these  fans ( of the movie not so much on the actual comics) were raving about
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Namor1987

I've yet to see WO but I've seen all three of the previous 1s but I say New Mutants or First Class would be good on the big screen but I kinda want to see X-Force (new or old version doesnt matter to me) or maybe X-Factor because that would be really interesting IMO but I like X-2 but its not my favortie X-3 was good to me bc the action but I dont like how Nightcrawler just kinda vanished after X-2 I was like wheres Nightcrawler. But bring back Singer

kaorumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kaorumonster

And I say this once again.

No Caption Provided
    I thought the X-Men movies were HORRIBLE. 

And not just because there was no Emma Frost.

If I could direct it, I would.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Media_Master

He made the fanchise so it's great to hear he is intersted in going back to the X-Men.

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The Psyentist

I think it would be a minor fail, but I'd like more X-movies. And I didn't hate the first two under Singer.

elementor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By elementor

i dnt care who does it....as long as storm gets sum screen play instead of the back seat.... 
    also it would be awsome 2 show their powers 2 the max....all of them are weak in da films
    X711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By X711

Okay... First of all Id like to say HELL NO! to Singer coming back into the X-Men franchise...  He ditched the X-Men for Superman (Im all about being loyal and regardless of the situation he attempted/considered another franchise and because of that I dont think he deserves the X name anymore)...  The first two Xmovies were long winded and slow... Ratners approch on X3 may have been way out there when it comes down to story line (something we cant change now), but at least it was action packed and showed alot more characters using their powers... You can say theres alot of pros an cons to the X-Men franchise an its characters all together between both directors... All I can say Singer left the X-Men to dry... and Brett just took it over the top (I dont blame him, it wasnt his franchise to begin with and he didnt leave any room for development for some main Characters (by killing them off). Overall I say NO to Singer... And if there is goin to be another, might as well just continue it with where it was left off, with Brett Ratner if anyhing that way the X-Men franchise can have some kind of consistancy... I trully think that the X-Men franchise has already been butchard enough... BLah...    

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pania

I think I would rather staple my eyes shut than watch another X3. It was ENTIRELY Ratner's fault that he tried to shove two films into one. It was entirely his fault that he crammed the screen with so many mutants that no one had any time to be developed as a character and so the audience never cared about them. It was entirely his fault that the action was so over the top as to be rediculous (such as WhyTF would Magneto move the Golden Gate bridge and leave an access road at his back when he could have just flown everyone over to the island and remained relatively isolated?)

Singer actually cared about character development and telling a good story. He resepcted the source material and did not  view the franchise as nothing more than an excuse for special effects. 

And ditto X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which was even worse than X3...and that's saying something.

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By uncanny89

i would love it if Brian Singer returned, ive always wondered how he was going to introduce the Phoenix and the hellfire club. cant wait for this to happen i just hope fox is taking him seriously
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By girth

At this point, I'm willing to see what Disney/Marvel could do with a reboot.

Baraborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Baraborn

Bryan Singer is not the cure to the X men films, he started the disease. The every fault of the franchise began when he signed the dotted line. He BUTCHERED characters, TOOK OUT story, DESTROYED the team dynamic and NEVER introduced worthy villains outside of the always assumed Brother Hood... who have had there time to shine. If there's another X men movie (First Class) let it have a new DIRECTOR, a new DIRECTION, and a new Cast (besides 
    Patrick Stewart) and for the love of God, NO Wolverine. Or let the X Men Reboot.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I truly hope so, the difference of him opting out of the last stand was noticeable! 

LauraX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LauraX23

Who is he

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#46  Edited By Green ankh

They went from bad to worse. I disliked the feel of all of the films.  And i apperently am not a fan of any of his films. God help Gattlestar Galactica and Excalibur under his hand.
    LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LastSon1027

Believe me Bryan no one and I mean NO ONE is tricked by your crap.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pania

Well, for me, this presents an opportunity.

David "Blade Trinity" & "Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD " Goyer can direct X-Men Origins: Magneto (who is next on the Fox chopping block)  or  Bryan "X2" & "Valkyrie" & "Unusual Suspects" Singer can direct X-Men Origins: Magneto. 

To me, that is a very clear choice.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

Nooooooooooooooo! I hated his X-men films and what he did to Superman was a travesty. He's admitted he's not a comic book guy - let someone who actually loves the source material direct. I'm sick of Singer watering down our heroes in an attempt to appeal to absolutely everybody.

Deadeyeduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Deadeyeduck

We've had an origin type story, a bastardized version of 'God loves, man kills' and...erm whatever 3 was supposed to be. 
    I think the next one should be Sentinels, or Bastion. Having mutants fight mutants has been done and was crap. The second one had a lot of potential. The interaction between humans and mutants and what it represents in the world is far more interesting than a traditional slugfest. Less Wolverine, more modern Cyclops/Emma Frost type interactions and the rest of the team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.