Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Bryan Singer Wants To Return To X-Men

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

I think we can all agree that, for the most part, the first two X-Men movies were really good.  When it came time for the third, Bryan Singer decided he wanted to do "Superman Returns" instead.  Was that the best choice?  We all give Brett Ratner a hard time over how X-3 came out but I've always said the blame can't fall just on his shoulders. 

The latest word from Singer is he has some regrets over his decision.  He mentioned that he spent six years of his life on the first two movies.  Singer has mentioned that he might be interested in doing the "X-Men Origins: Magneto" movie and X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner would like to have him back.

Will we see Singer doing the Magneto movie?
    Possibly. The only thing that concerns me about Magneto is that if the prequel were to follow the track I used in X-Men, which is Magneto's history in the concentration camp, then I've lived in that world.

That's been my concern with the movie.  We've seen his 'origin' as a child.  Sure there's more that could be told.  Singer also mentions that after having done "Apt Pupil," "X-Men" and his current "Valkyrie," he wants a break away from the "Nazi universe."

No Caption Provided
    Would he ever return to Superman?
    I don't know, I don't know. There are still issues...I just...I just don't know. I don't necessarily...I don't know. It's one of those things where...It's so weird talking about stuff unless I'm about to ramp up and shoot it.

Would you like to see Singer return to the X-Universe?  Do you think he would've handled X-3 differently?  How do you think Singer did on Superman (directing it)?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Singer did a good job on X-Men 1 and 2 and I wouldn't mind seeing him return. Also, Magneto's origin doesn't necessarily have to pick up in the concentration camps. I'd rather it picked up with him as the family man. I'd love to see the act that transformed him forever. But thats me.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Ha ha!  He ditched the X-Men in favour of Superman, then when Wolverine becomes a box office hit he wants to go back to the X... what a surprise.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    xerox_kitty said:
    Ha ha! He ditched the X-Men in favour of Superman, then when Wolverine becomes a box office hit he wants ... [more]
    lol and it kinda sounds like he wants to bail on Superman. Leaving some other poor sap to clean up the "illegitimate child" mess.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    Gambler said:
    xerox_kitty said: Ha ha! He ditched the X-Men in favour of Superman, then when Wolverine becomes a box office hit ... [more]
    Or a re-boot ;p

I kinda get it that Taylor Kitsch (sp?) wants to still be Gambit.  I remember interviews with Halle Berry after Last Stand where she said she wanted to carry on, so obviously after Wolverine came out she remained vocal about being Storm again.  But... as much as I love what Singer did with the first two films, I hate him for bailing half-way through the production on Last Stand.  I'll stand by Ratner for doing the best with Singer's scraps at the last minute.  I blame Bryan Singer for X-Men 3.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I know alot of people feel the same way as you do. But all I care about is who's going to put out the better film. In my mind that's Singer. If he comes back and makes a hit all will be forgiven.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

Brian Singer please return!!!!!!!

The lack of it look at what happened: X3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Deadpool!

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Vindellavon

YES! :D

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Martian

I think X-Men 2 was my favorite though I loved seeing the Ice Armor in X3

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Gambler said:
    xerox_kitty said: Ha ha! He ditched the X-Men in favour of Superman, then when Wolverine becomes a box office hit ... [more]
    Just as I don't think Ratner should get all the blame for X-3, maybe Singer shouldn't get all the blame for Superman Returns.  Then again, apparently he was one of the actual writers (along with a couple other dudes who actually wrote the screenplay).
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Gambler: I agree to some extent.  He bailed, leaving the franchise dangling.  Now that the focus is on solo characters, he wants to come back & focus on Magneto... I have to admit, he did wonderful stuff with Ian McKellen, so I probably would look forward to seeing that.  But I still blame him for Last Stand ;)
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm guessing he  "Don't know"

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LastSon1027

For the love of all things holy keep this loser away from Superman. This tool turned my favorite hero of all time into a little boy watching pansy. Don't get me wrong Singer has done some decent stuff. I love House it is a great show but he needs to let go of the comic book genre. ESPECIALLY SUPERMAN! I for one thought that Ratner's X-men wasn't that bad it was more action packed.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Joe Venom

I honestly feel that he did an awesome job on the Superman movie, it always seem to me that he would follow up with another one it  is kind of upsetting that he would not even speak of it.

As for a Magneto origin movie no thanks, the back story in X-men 1 was all that I needed. Now if they want to do a House of M movie I am all for that, at least in that story Magneto wins.

toxzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toxzilla

Singer ruins everything so no thanks to this. They should wait for Jon Favreau to finish whatever he is working on and let him take a crack at X-men if we really need more X-Movies.

Cloaked Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cloaked Man

Avatar image for captain_wannabe
    Captain Wannabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain Wannabe

The Singer Superman was great!  And I don't think the problem with X-Men 3 was the directing, it was trying to do too much in one moive.  Just stick with one major storyline at a time please!  It could have easily been divided into three movies and they could have done justice to each plot.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WARLOCK2792

You can tell by his speech that he has scarred himself with his own works.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By NightFang3

I would love to see Singer return to the X-Men.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WonderBoy1132

Honestly I would love to see him return... X1 and X2 were decent movies.

I hated superman... (blah)

Come back to the X-men Franchise, I think we can expect big things to happen within the x-men movie franchise in the very near future..

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Decept-O

A Magneto movie is a lame idea.  

I'd be happy with Singer returning to the X-Men franchise.  I'd try real hard to forgive and accept Ratner if an X-Men movie was offered to him, but I doubt many fans would.  

It's similar to Spider-man 3; Raimi followed the screenplay and what the producers wanted.  As you stated, G-man, that's also what Ratner did.

That's the point:  Ditch the writers.  Get someone else.  Someone who wouldn't bastardize and Deep-6 the important points and characters that comprise the X-Men.  I believe it was mentioned here on Comic Vine that the X-Men  writers admitted they "didn't like Prof. X and Cyclops" and that's why the changes occured.  WTF? 

However, how Singer could have been so blind to the God-awful concept behind Superman Returns escapes me.  

I'd consider this whole "young X-Men early years" thing, but I don't know.  They could do that, but what about any future X-men movies that follow after the events of X-3? 

MAD is the man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAD is the man

I Know a lot of people will say that the first two movies X1 and x2 were good, but i still think that looking back at them They Sucked! Just because the third movie was such a down point dose not give the other two any validity. We need someone to take a good x-men story "not hard, they already exist." and make it into a movie. Why were both punisher and hulk  movies just ok or flat out sucked, they were made for kids or "teens".  Real fans will never be happy with a 50's ideal comic book,   movie instead of taking a comic book  and making into movie. "if that makes sense." we need good dialog and story, we need to feel like it's real.

I don't think He's are man.  but marvel isn't going to want to either. 

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By SUNMAN

They should just re-do the whole franchise

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Decept-O
    SUNMAN said:
    They should just re-do the whole franchise

I WANTED to say that as well, but the sad fact is, I doubt it would ever happen.    Sadly.    :(
    Rodrigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rodrigo

Honestly, singer isn't a good action movie director,the action scenes in X-Men I and 2 was so flat and boring, and the plot in the first one was crap also.
     X 2 was ok  but nothig exciting
    conclusion: i don`t want Bryant Singer in any other future X movie.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Media_Master

Seems like Raimi and Singer want to do justice to their comic book movies

X711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By X711

I agree with the others when they say : "They should just re-do the whole franchise".... But considerin how far Marvel has repersented the X-Men in movies so far... with its dead characters an nonscense story lines... I dont really care now, when it comes down to the Movies... If anything Id say NO for Singer comin back in...  not cuz hes a good director or not ... Just cuz actions speak louder than words... hints: leavin X hangin for a Superman movie?

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I'm not a real, true die-hard X-Men fan, so I'm not sure there was that much difference between Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner. X3 gave me what I wanted which was The Beast, Iceman and Angel. But at the expense of Cyclops and Jean. Does anybody miss Cyclops? Is there enough of a window for his to return? X3 was action packed and seemed to expand more on the set-up that Bryan Singer laid out. If there were flaws, I guess I overlooked them.

Yes
    , I would like to see Bryan Singer return to the X-Universe. His vision of Superman sucked. Brandon Routh was just very vague as Superman. Using Luthor was just one too many times to the well for me. I would like to see him working on whatever X-Men movies he would like to because he seems to get the characters. 

Honestly, I would like to see Tom Welling get at least one chance at playing Superman. Give him a haircut. Have Richard Donner direct it and give him room and space to do it his way. Pit him against Brainiac. Make Brainiac more like Ultron. (I haven't really followed Brainiac on Smallville that closely.) Then, if that works, put him together with the rest of the classic JLA. And then, it rained gumballs. The end.    

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm still hoping for X-Men 4, but Magneo would be cool

mrjoshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By mrjoshua

I liked the first two X-Men movies and i really liked the 3rd. i don't know why people hate on it so much. Magneto lifting the Golden Gate bridge sold me. i didn't like Superman Returns. two big problems with that movie--Superman is a baby daddy and Lex Luthor seduces an old lady for her money. These two things are not in line with their characters. I think Brian Singer had his chance with Xmen, it's time to move on. He chose to do Superman instead of Xmen. either do the next Xmen or  find another superhero. If he want's to go and do stuff he's done already why not do Usual Suspects 2: the Wrath of Kaiser Soze.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    mrjoshua said:
    I liked the first two X-Men movies and i really liked the 3rd. i don't know why people hate on ... [more]
    I liked them all to, the only thing that I didn't like about the 3rd one was killing off Cyclops, Jean has died in the comics, Prof X has died in the comics as well (And plus he's not dead)
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AngelFrost

Bryan Singer is sooo hot!
    Especially for his age, He looks amazing for 43.

Too bad he's gay    =(
    Anyway, I'd love him to return to the X-Men franchise ^^.
    And yes, I think he would have made X3 better, He'd have introduced good characters such as Emma Frost which would have made a great storyline.

and he probably would have kept Mystique ! - Which X3 completely got rid of.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By zombietag

PLEASE no more superman movies. how many bad superman movies do we have to see?

x-men magneto would be tight. i think he could do a good job. and he doesnt have to do the whole nazi thing, although obviously that would have to be involved. what about his history with proffesor x? it could go far past his childhood. after all, he's pretty old in most of the comics anyways, how about some not-so-old magneto?
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nyogtha

I'm mixed on the whole situation. While I liked the X-Men movies he did, I do hope that he has gotten a better grasp of the whole thing from his experience with the X-Men movies he did. Cause there was alot of corn in the first two, but there was also alot more substance too their stories as well.

weasel-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By weasel-king

I don't see why he's worried about the the "been there done that" bit with the Holocaust/Nazis. Look at Wolverine--they spent maybe 15-minutes with him being a young kid and all the wars. Magneto's childhood could easily squeeze into 15-minutes without being too heavy handed.

Maybe McKellan should be more worried playing the "other side" after his role in Apt Pupil.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.