Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Bryan Singer Talks Bringing 'Days Of Future Past' To The Big Screen

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

If you're a big fan of the X-Men then chances are that you have probably read Chris Claremont and John Byrne's 'Days of Future Past' story arc where most of the Earth's mutants have been killed and the few remaining X-Men must try to reverse history. The story itself, if you recall, is actually kind of complicated; so how much of it will Singer actually integrate into his film adaptation? According to him, a lot, actually. The director plans to take much of his inspiration from the story, but he's not under any illusions; he won't try to fit everything into the film.

No Caption Provided
    It has a lot of aspects of the comic. The actual comic of Days Of Future Past had a whole ton of stuff going on, so it’s like any of these things; you have to distill it. But I think the fans will be pleased that some of the most exciting parts of Days Of Future Past are going to be connected to this movie.

It will certainly be interesting to see how much of the comic book plot translates onto the big screen, and how Singer plans on making his film into a sequel to X-Men: First Class. Singer also promises it will be a "big movie," in terms of scope and scale, and he's taking the rules of time travel pretty seriously. According to the director he recently spoke to James Cameron about the "rules of time travel and string theory," and understands that the rules need to be established pretty early on.

== TEASER ==
    We've cracked it in a way that it makes sense. I had a two-hour conversation with James Cameron about time travel, string theory, multiverses and all that. You have to create your rules and stick wtih them. That's why Terminator and Back To The Future work so well. And there are certain mechanisms in X-Men, certain powers, perceptions and characters, that make this possible.

The director revealed over the weekend that several actors from the original X-Men film would be returning to reprise their roles in the upcoming movie, including actress Anna Paquin who played Rogue, Shawn Ashmore (Iceman) and Ellen Page who played Kitty Pryde. It will be interesting to see how these characters will be integrated into the overall film. What do you think of the idea of X-Men: Days of Future Past into a film? Are you looking forward to seeing the movie in 2014?

Source: EMPIRE

Avatar image for victorvondoom_1
    VictorVonDoom_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictorVonDoom_1

Cannot wait for this movie, If done right, it will be a hit. Watching it either way.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By GothamRed

X-Men: Back to the Terminator

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By queenfrost_

Mess

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ccraft

I'll be getting the comics on comixology.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved X-men:First Class - if they keep Xavier and Eric's teams from the 60's it'll be a hit!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By reignmaker

X2 was a great flick. If Singer can bring that level of quality back, I might have to see this. Still, there's a lot of variables floating around on this one.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By havoc1201

Maybe they can use this to change what Ratner did and bring Scott back!

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chasereis

Singer? I'll wait for netflix. Thanks...

Avatar image for deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e
    deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oscars94: Amen to that! ;)

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By RedQueen

Hopefully, they'll put Kitty in a central role for the alt/future bits...like in the comics. And give Rogue her powers back, have her actually use her powers..oh, and more of completely-covered-in-ice Iceman. I wonder if they'll cast a Rachel Summers? Or bring back an older Jean? Or fragment the future parts with other futures? Could we possibly see a done properly Phoenix Saga...(only a glimpse/cameo - but that would be very cool).....

It's kind of just hit me that we'll actually be seeing proper Sentinels this time round. And not just their head.

Have to say, I'm quite looking forward to seeing this.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#11  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Can't wait to see what Singer has in store

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mosdefinately gonna watch this

Avatar image for deactivated-63417c6af01d0
    deactivated-63417c6af01d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havoc1201: I am convinced, now more than ever, that they're going to retcon the first 3 X-Men movies. I'm okay with this.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By amazing_webhead

Ooh, will they do that scene from the comic where a Sentinel fries Wolverine until there's nothing left but his skeleton?

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JamDamage

it's not true time travel, it's her conciousness that travels. Thought he knew this. jeez

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

I love how Bryan Singer goes to James Cameron, out of every possible other person in the world, to talk about time travel and string theory. I mean he couldn't actually talk to a scientist about this? James Cameron may think himself a scientist, but he isn't :/

Bryan Singer: Hey Cameron how you think about Time travel?

James Cameron: They got to be naked.

Bryan Singer: What?

James Cameron: Have you thought about a Mystique sex scene? I still have some left over animation from Avatar.

*Awkward silence occurs*

James Cameron: Well I have to go now. I'm going to give a speech about the possibility of an alien invasion. Because, you know, I'm the leading authority on these kind of things.

Bryan Singer: Make believe science?

James Cameron: Yeah boi!!

END SCENE

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
    Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Time travel + X-Men? Can't lose.

Actually, we can, but I really really hope not.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
    Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Hopefully Young Magneto and Xavier go to the future and change time so that the entire movie series (outside of First Class) can be reset.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

I have absolutely no faith in Singer whatsoever.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Decoy Elite

CAMERON!  
    *Shakes fist*

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
    DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not sure about this movie. the dofp story was one of the best i've ever read, so my expactations are very high and with jackman and paquin back, i expect the worst.

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpitfireINK

Just one statement about Singer:

Libertante' Mutant-making MAGNETO Machine

(that should be MORE than enough for ANYONE)

Casting for movies was superb - but story? .. Well refer to above statement.

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Smurfboy

Am SUPER-exciting about this! So excited that I actually watched X2 and X-Men First Class last night, haha. Seriously, with everyone being back to the original cast, this should be interesting. I hope and pray that everyone (not just Wolverine, although he's my favorite hero) will have plenty of screen-time. We did not get to see much of Cyclops in the first three original movies.

Oh man, I can't wait to see the clothes, the new looks, the actions, fights, the story and all that. Should be at least 2 hours and 30 to 45 minutes of run-time! Please no One-hour-30minutes because it always felt like a rush movie if you know what I mean.

Also we would LOVE TO SEE the Sentinels taking over the city and shooting people/mutants around and that would be hella cool! Make it happen, Singer! I want to see a whole team fighting their butt off against Sentinels as much as The Avengers did against the monsters at the last part! Again, make it happen, Singer!!!

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By frozenedge2

If they go the way I'm thinking, they could set this movie up to be the intro for an Age of Apocalypse movie

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By HAWK2916

Not thrilled with some of the actors reprising their roles. SOme were horrible. Hopefully we get a story about how Rogue got her powers. It could tie-in to Mystique assembling a team to take out Senator kelly

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KomicKev

Here's my scenario: the "future" X-Men are the current day ones - - whomever they can get to return (so far Kitty, Iceman, and Rogue). Since the actors are now a bit older (Kitty could be Kate now, although Ellen Page is not THAT much older), they can be in a f-ed up world where mutants are being hunted down and persecuted left and right. A lot of this is because of Magneto and his Brotherhood's actions in the past 3 movies. Those actors/mutants that didn't return (say, Kelsey Grammar's Beast) would be shown as deceased or apprehended.

I can't possibly guess how Patrick Stewart's Xavier gets back into action, but somehow he does. He realizes he needs to stop some event in the past from happening so he plays the role that Rachel Summers did in the comics and finds a way to send back Kitty's consciousness to . . . well, who? Kitty wasn't around in X-Men First Class. Maybe they actually send her physical body back. But if they could do this, then they could send most anyone, couldn't they? Anyway, I'm not writing this movie, these are just my thoughts.

Essentially though, my feeling is that Bryan Singer and the writers of this movie are going to use elements of DoFP, to tell the story with the mutants they have on hand and not the actual mutants that were in the comic book movie. Will Halle Berry return as Storm? No? Then Storm doesn't REALLY have to be in this movie for it to work. Same with Jean Grey, Colossus, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, etc.

benblanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By benblanks

Man, I got no beef with Shawn Ashmore, Animorphs was pretty cool to me as a kid, but Iceman is my personal favorite X-Man and they gotta give him some witty lines and quips and shit. He hasn't been a convincing Bobby Drake to me yet.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kid Apollo

anyone else think they might bust out BISHOP for this movie, i fully know that he has nuthin to do with it but with the way they make these movies, the mash ups of comic book stories, and the fact that hes from the future and this is a future movie, i dont think its out of the realm of possibility

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By havoc1201

it would kick as to see Cable on the big screen maybe they can write him into the movie and he brings them back in time to save the future

daltonmunnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daltonmunnal

What is with all this hate for the guy that's responsible for all three of the good X-Men movies? X2 is arguably one of the best super hero movies of all time.

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Smurfboy

@DaltonMunnal said:

What is with all this hate for the guy that's responsible for all three of the good X-Men movies? X2 is arguably one of the best super hero movies of all time.

Singer didn't direct the third movie (Brett Ratner did.) The third movie was the worst movie of all X-Men movies. I personal hate it with passion. :-/

Avatar image for stayclassymarvel
    StayclassyMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By StayclassyMarvel

SO MUCH NERD RAGE. I personally hate the actors used in the X-films and was so hoping for new ones. Especially since Shawn, Anna, and Ellen are now all in their 30's and are playing teenaged characters. Ugh.

daltonmunnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By daltonmunnal

@Smurfboy:

Hence why I said the three GOOD ones. Singer wrote First Class.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By nappystr8

There have been a LOT of stories about a LOT of the upcoming superhero movies, and none of it hits me as hard as Days of Future Past. Each new piece of information just makes me more and more excited and confident. You'd think there would be a pattern of diminishing returns at this point, but there isn't. I'm just going to have to try super hard to not go into the theater with unreachable expectations.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't know...I still cannot get over the travesty that Superman Returns was to take this seriously, but I still will hold out my final judgment until I go to see it. I just really hope I'm not disappointed.

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KomicKev

SO MUCH NERD RAGE. I personally hate the actors used in the X-films and was so hoping for new ones. Especially since Shawn, Anna, and Ellen are now all in their 30's and are playing teenaged characters. Ugh.

Not necessarily will they still be portrayed as teens. Read my "guess" a few posts above yours. THEY (and others) can be the future X-Men in Days of FUTURE Past, thus they would be shown as older (in their 30s or beyond even). X-Men First Class members would be X-Men of the past. It's just conjecture of course, but it could happen in this way. (Although, come to think of it, how would they get an older Kate/Ellen Page's mind to go back and take over a young Kitty/Ellen Page? Good make-up I guess.)

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

Can't wait to see how Singer is going to direct this movie...

LubeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LubeMan

Not that big on Singer, and one of the things I liked bout First Class was that it was different from Singers Xmen and done well. Not that keen with the merging and Singing jumping back in, but, as always, i'll reserve my final opinion till I actually see it if it works out for me?

jdsundance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jdsundance

I hope Singer moves forward with something I read previously. The Real Hellfire Club. It would tie into the storyline. He could could make another actress the White Queen ( I think at one point it was stated Sigourney Weaver ). Might not be the right fit at this point, but hopefully someone that can act far better than January Jones. And they could bring Shaw back as the main backer of the Sentinel program ( or perhaps another actor posing as Shinobi Shaw getting revenge for Sebastian ). Just as long as the movie is closer to X2 or First Class, and not like the other 2 or that horrible Wolverine movie.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThomasElliot

I don't care what they do in this film... just give me a 5 minute prologue that clears up the loose ends from Xmen 3.

I don't care that we all agree that X3 wasn't good. It happened. You can't ignore it. Its there... its LEFT ON A CLIFFHANGER. I am the ghost to remind you all the unanswered plots left from this movie. WHERE IS SCOTT SUMMERS? HOW DOES CHARLIE X GET OUT OF HIS FREAKY FRIDAY SITUATION? The problems with film continuity I can ignore... its just the untied strings that bother me.

Every film they make ignoring X3 tells me they don't care about the viewers and fans enough to at least attempt to fix or tidy it up. Basically they are telling me "People are so f'n dumb, we'll just move on like it never happened and they'll keep buying tickets because they have the attention span of cockroaches".

And the Singer-verse is over 10 years old and looks it. Xmen is the #1 prime candidate for a reboot. If Singer has an ounce of intelligent screen writing left in him, he'll use a time-altering story to wipe the slate so someone else can helm the franchise and make something new.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PrinceIMC

Maybe something has already changed the timeline since there are things that are different between First Class and the other 3 movies.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HellknightLeon

Don't care...

Lord_Sidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lord_Sidious

If, and it's a big IF, he can pull it off this movie will be awesome.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LordRequiem

Why would you consult with Cameron about physics? He's not a bloody scientist, that's so thick. If I see that gay Magneto helmet and not the cool one from First Class I may just walk out.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
    RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#45  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Here's hoping for Lost's time travel rule: Whatever happened, happened.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lykopis

Just knowing they are going with a Days of Future Past storyline is good enough for me. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out and the use of three actors from previous films makes it all the more intriguing. Ashmore, Paige and Paquin are great actors -- hopefully they will get to showcase their talent in ways they weren't allowed to before.

Deformity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Deformity
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytZ7fYOlgU
    smeagollk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By smeagollk

let's hope that they'll give rogue a better storyline in this one...

Avatar image for the_storm_goddess
    The_Storm_Goddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I sound like a fanatic, but I hope they bring in a Remy (new guy please with an accent) and Storm (some one other than Halle). If they want to do it right they need all the X-Men. I'm hoping for beloved characters that helped to create one of the greatest super teams out there!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jhazzroucher

confirm Storm please

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.