Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Breaking Point

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Is this arc worth a read?
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I'd say... it depends what your threshold for Kitty, Colossus, Wolverine and Kruun (from Breakworld) is. If your a fan of those characters, you;d probably like it. Writing was decent, but nothing revolutionary. I can say honestly, I know people who gave up on Uncanny X-Men who picked this up and decided to buy the issues, instead of read in-store (whole part of giving it up thing)  

I wasn't a big fan myself, themes it sort of delves into is I guess, duty, redemption? I tries and deals with Kitty's current phasing problem. Art is by Dodsons, and that might be a factor. I'm looking forward to the next arc, but think Gillen could have chosen better cast and plot to start his Uncanny run. I just found this arc wasn't anything special or... characterization was decent, as in true to characters, but I didn't find what they were getting up to, too interesting. I'll end by saying I am a fan of Gillen, I do tend to be a bit harsh with Uncanny title... I think you can skip or read issue summaries (unless your a Kitty, fan. Maybe Colossus. Wolverine gets involved in second part of arc. 

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By MrUnknown
    @Jake Fury: It's worth reading but you wouldn't miss out too much if you skip it. I did reviews for two of the four issues of it so maybe that can help you decide better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrUnknown
    @SC: 

Thanks gents.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Timandm

If you're an X-Men fan, I'd say definitely...  The story and the art was good.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By John Valentine

Not a massive Colossus and Kitty fan, though, this arc was really good. Certainly the best thing to happen to Uncanny X-Men for a while. I especially liked the little details, for example, Magneto's curiosity with the Breakworld metal, the exploration of Kitty and Colossus' relationship, the adherence to Whedon's run etc.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mercy_
    @John Valentine What's your opinion on Gillen's writing?
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By John Valentine
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    @John Valentine What's your opinion on Gillen's writing?
    A Ok. He's good. Uncanny X-Men 539 was a really good read, impressive considering I do not really like Hope. I liked how he reasoned Logan's coldness to Hope.
    I'm hoping the said reasons comes true ;). 

For the aforementioned reason, I do not read Generation Hope, well I do, but my view of it is too blinded by hatred of the main character to accurately assess his writing. 
    His writing on Thor was pretty good, a lot better than Fraction's.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @John Valentine I just bought that.issue today, mainly to.see how he writes Hope in Uncanny as opposed to how he writes her in Gen Hope.

I used to adore the character up through Second Coming and then I started reading Gen. Hope, where she'd become a snobby self-entitled brat.

LOL. That's not saying much, though. I could probably write better than Fraction.
    MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrSeaman70

Eventually the X-Men would get tired of her snobbyness and bring Cable back from the dead to set her straight :P 

That reminds me, the New Mutants are currently searching for Nate Grey. Is there any hints from Marvel about Nate Grey, Cable's arm, and AOA Jean Grey crossing paths ? It feels like all these pieces are meant to come together especially the missing Nate Grey, and Cable's severed arm.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By MrUnknown
    @The Dark Huntress: Fraction does an awesome job at Iron Man. I haven't read his Thor but with X-men it almost feels like a totally different writer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the first issue (#535). Definitely a good comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.