Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Black Mutants?

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Skaddix

too bad we barely see any others beside Storm who doesn't even get the panel time she deserves. Still at least Bling and Cipher still have their powers unlike Prodigy and Gentle. I was hoping the numbers for the males would get replenished with the five lights but that didn't happen. Maybe Age of X will fix them or give us some new ones.

Also annoyed by Sunspot's power slide that has reduced him to just physical strength.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#202  Edited By jubilee042

uh... dr cecilla ryes and the new idie character,monet,

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Skaddix

I don't count X-factor, Idie is new, and Betsy's mental rape of Reyes is still too fresh. Still we get to see the females often enough, when was the last time we saw a black male mutant?

riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By riri4life
    @Skaddix said:
    " too bad we barely see any others beside Storm who doesn't even get the panel time she deserves. Still at least Bling and Cipher still have their powers unlike Prodigy and Gentle. I was hoping the numbers for the males would get replenished with the five lights but that didn't happen. Maybe Age of X will fix them or give us some new ones.  Also annoyed by Sunspot's power slide that has reduced him to just physical strength. "
    Gentle is de-powered!?!?...SMH
    Hawkling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#205  Edited By Hawkling
    @riri4life:  there's nothing that says he's depowered on his page and his last appearance showed him fighting on the bridge in second coming so i'm gonna assume he's still powered.
    Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Skaddix

as of DoomWar, vibranium is now inert which means if Gentle uses his powers then he dies.

riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By riri4life

@Hawkling:
    That's what I thought. Thanks! ;)

@Skaddix:
    Writers are so lazy and careless when it comes to minor details like that w/ undeveloped characters. I'm sure if they really wanna use him again they'll "find a way around that". lol

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#208  Edited By unicornpuncher
    @Vance Astro:   This just made my day.
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By unicornpuncher
    @pixelized:@pixelized said:
    " Locus!

But she's now dead
    "
    When did Locus die?
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#210  Edited By Mr Creesy

WoW...the ignorance on this thread is unbelievable. I am inclined to believe that many on this thread does not know what it means to be Black. Let me try to educate the misinformed. For my first point I'll use our president. Barack Obama is a Black man regardless of what his mother is. Take this argument back to the year 1864. Slavery ended in the United States in 1865. Would Obama be called half White or Black? He would be called Black and receive all the consequences of being Black at that time. If you were mixed with Native American and Black. You would be Black with some Native American blood in you. You are still Black.

What does it mean to be Black? The term Black people is a product of slavery. Before Slavery we were African. After slavery we were Black people. This brings me to my next point;which are, the Black Latinos mentioned on this list.

The Black Latinos in question are Cecilia Reyes and Sunspot. Yes they are from Latin countries, but where do you think they get their dark skin from? They get it from their African ancestors. My step family were all born in Panama. They have brown and light skin. They speak fluent Spanish and consider themselves Black Panamanians. Could they leave of the Black and just say I'm Panamanian? Absolutely. They know where they got their Black skin from and they choose to acknowledge it. If Sunspot and Cecilia Reyes came to the United States. They would be considered Black Latinos. If they referred themselves as Black Latinos or just Latinos would be up to them. You couldn't deny their nationality, just like you couldn't deny their Black skin. Spaniards (Pau and Marc Gasol) and the Portuguese conquered Central America. They were not Black what so ever. The black skinned people living in Central and South America are the descendants of African Slaves.

If Tiger Woods wanted to be called a Black man he would be. My wife is half Asian. She considers herself to be half Black and half Korean. When the term Black came out, they both would have been Black. Meditate on that for a while.

My last point deals with Bishop, Gateway, and Shard. Aborigines identify themselves with Black people.It is a fact that you can research yourself. Physically we have the same facial features and the same skin tones. How they got to Australia? The most important issue here is what do the Aborigines think about themselves? I spoke to a White man who was from Australia (on XBOX Live). I asked him do the Aborigines consider themselves Black? He said without hesitation...Yes.

Also, Bishop and Shard were born in Brooklyn. Dem ni**az is Black! End of discussion! ;)

Here is the best website I found that details the perecentages of Black people that live in different countries. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By PassionFlower

It struck me watching the X Men movie there were none besides Storm at the school. In the comics there are a few and no males of any note (I know Bishop he's nuts and gone and Darwin is going down that path).

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#212  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

Bishop

Bling!

Cloak

Darwin

Doorman

Frenzy

Gateway

Gentle

Lightbright

Living Monolith

M

Mandrill

Sunspot

Storm

Tempo

Tito Bohusk is half black.

Nekra is an albino african-american

Cecilia Reyes

Emplate

Threnody

Timeslip

Goblyn

Pathway

Exiles Heather Hudson

Anarchist

Shard

Spyke from x-men evolution

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#213  Edited By poisonfleur

I only know Cecilia Reyes, M, and Frenzy.

And if you wanna count Angel in X-men first class.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#214  Edited By Ryonslaught

@fesak said:

Scribbles said:
    "Okay...here's an issue. We all know about Storm, Bishop, and Gentle, but where are all the other cool black mutants in the marvel universe? Prodigy lost his powers, and he was cool. Who else is there? Frenzy and Tempo, but is that it? What other black mutants are still running around with powers in the Marvelverse? Help me out, here! HELP!!"
    Here's a list of black mutants that are known to be powered after M-Day:BishopBling!CloakDarwinDoormanFrenzyGatewayGentleLightbrightLiving MonolithMMandrill SunspotStormTempoNot so many.

Mandrill, Doorman and Living Monolith are Black?

I don't remember ever seeing mandrill's parents or his ethnicity displayed on panel......and wasn't monolith a white guy before he was genetically modified?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#215  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@Ryonslaught said:

@fesak said:

Scribbles said:
    "Okay...here's an issue. We all know about Storm, Bishop, and Gentle, but where are all the other cool black mutants in the marvel universe? Prodigy lost his powers, and he was cool. Who else is there? Frenzy and Tempo, but is that it? What other black mutants are still running around with powers in the Marvelverse? Help me out, here! HELP!!"
    Here's a list of black mutants that are known to be powered after M-Day:BishopBling!CloakDarwinDoormanFrenzyGatewayGentleLightbrightLiving MonolithMMandrill SunspotStormTempoNot so many.

Mandrill, Doorman and Living Monolith are Black?

I don't remember ever seeing mandrill's parents or his ethnicity displayed on panel......and wasn't monolith a white guy before he was genetically modified?

Depending on how you see it. Mandrill's parent's are white, but he was born black. Ask his mom what happened there *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Doorman is african-american. There's pics of him in the gallery.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moses Magnum is an Ethiopian Mutate (he was given his powers by Apocalypse, I believe) but I always found him cool for some reason.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Ryonslaught

@fesak:LOL @Mandril

It's like that huh? lol

As for Doorman Ive been through his gallery and none of his pics scream African American OR Black......he looks like a tanned white guy honestly XD

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@Ryonslaught said:

@fesak:LOL @Mandril

It's like that huh? lol

As for Doorman Ive been through his gallery and none of his pics scream African American OR Black......he looks like a tanned white guy honestly XD

That could be that he is a light-skinned black man, some of us look more tan than brown. I want to say a guy named DeMarr could very well be a black man :)

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#219  Edited By x_29

Oya.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Ryonslaught

@LordOfAllHumans:Touche lol

joshuagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Ok, so sunspot is an afro-brazilian (even being the victim of racism in the past). Darwin is half black, half Hispanic. M is half Algerian half African American (same goes for the m twins).

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#222  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Shola Inkosi. And he's Nigerian, too.

No Caption Provided

Thank you, Brian Wood for using him in the Ultimate Universe.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Shola Inkosi. And he's Nigerian, too.

No Caption Provided

Thank you, Brian Wood for using him in the Ultimate Universe.

does he have a 616 counterpart? I'm drawing a blank here..

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - 4 years, 9 months ago - Show Bio

Sunspot is Brazillian, and not black to the best of my knowledge.

Some Brazillians are mixed and descended from African slaves. They're black , Brazilian is a nationality not a race.

#10 Posted by pixelized (62857 posts) - 4 years, 9 months ago - Show Bio

danhimself said:

"cecilia reyes"

puerto rican

They're black and mixed Puerto Ricans. Once again a nationality not a race.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread's first page was so funny to read!!

joshuagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to correct some mistakes I've seen on this post: Sunspot is black-he's Afro-Brazilian (meaning that his family is of african descent-probably with spanish blood mixed in, due to the high rate of miscegenation in Brazil), Cecilia Reyes is Afro-Puerto Rican, Angel is black, Blue Marvel received his powers from a failed experiment, not a mutation, ancient Egypt was populated by Black people, making Apocalypse black, Black Panther is a mutate, Australian aborigines are black, thus making Bishop, Shard, Gateway, and Edin Fesi, black, Falcon isn't a mutant, Shuri isn't a mutant, Luke Cage is a mutate, debrii isn't a mutant, M is black (african american father, algerian mother), Brazil has a huge population of african descent, puerto rico has a huge population of african descent, Darwin is half hispanic/ half black

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Just to correct some mistakes I've seen on this post: Sunspot is black-he's Afro-Brazilian (meaning that his family is of african descent-probably with spanish blood mixed in, due to the high rate of miscegenation in Brazil), Cecilia Reyes is Afro-Puerto Rican, Angel is black, Blue Marvel received his powers from a failed experiment, not a mutation, ancient Egypt was populated by Black people, making Apocalypse black, Black Panther is a mutate, Australian aborigines are black, thus making Bishop, Shard, Gateway, and Edin Fesi, black, Falcon isn't a mutant, Shuri isn't a mutant, Luke Cage is a mutate, debrii isn't a mutant, M is black (african american father, algerian mother), Brazil has a huge population of african descent, puerto rico has a huge population of african descent, Darwin is half hispanic/ half black

Thanks for clearing so much of this up at once!

though, it's always kind of bugged me that Falcon isn't considered a mutant. He's was just born with his "mystical" ability to communicate with birds; I really think that should count.

tdlafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really need help...

My boyfriend's favorite comic book character is Cyclops and his favorite Cyclops is the black one. His birthday is coming up and I want to get him something that has him on there but I don't even know where to start! I don't know which universe or reality he's in (please excuse me for not knowing the correct terms)...I am completely clueless when it comes to this. Help please!

Thank you!

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdlafleur: Dunno the name of it, but there was one in the short series last year where they kept travelling realities. They carried around prof x head in a jar. That should be something to search on

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what about idie okonkwo? this list should get longer if they keep changing characters races too

tdlafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayvid3: Thank you so much! It's Greg Pak's X-treme X-men. Now I have a leg to stand on!

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tdlafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayvid3: I was able to get the whole set and a cyclops was right t shirt from eBay! I remember him saying something about that too. This is going to be the best birthday ever...I'll be sure to give you an honorable mention!

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a writer would explore a story where Mr. Sinister or a science type investigated why genes of the black race are resistant to mutation.

The proof is already in the numbers.

This should go right up there with why mutations seem to predominantly take place in the U S than anywhere else on the globe.

joshuagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By joshuagamer

It's really sad how little people understand race, nationality, and ethnicity here. Black is a race, the broadest grouping of people-outside of species. Black people can live in any country (read: they can have any nationality). Certain countries have Indigenous Black populations like all of west, central, east, and southern Africa (North Africa also has a significant indigenous Black presence but N. Africa isn't homogeneously native Black), or Australia. Australian aborigines are Black (that is why Gateway, Edin Fesi, Shard, Bishop, and Aaliyah Bishop are Black). M is of half Afro- Monégasque (Afro is used to denote when something is the Black version of something, e.g. Afro-Latino) and half Algerian. The transatlantic slave trade brought many Black people to the Caribbean, the United States, and most of all, South America (they also eventually arrived at places like Canada and Europe). Countries like Brazil have huge Black populations; in fact, Brazil has the largest Black population on Earth outside of Africa. Characters like Sunspot are Afro-Brazilian (in fact, his origin story is about the anti-Black racism he faced). Places like Puerto Rico have also received a lot of Black people. There was actually a study that said that nearly every Puerto Rican has some African ancestry (this doesn't necessarily make them Black), but a fair amount of Puerto Ricans are actually Afro-Puertoriqueño and thus, Black. Cecilia Reyes is an example of this.

A list of different Black characters (so not all mutants; they also won'tbe exclusively from Marvel) and what they are:

Storm: half African American (paternal side; this means descendant of United States slavery), half Kenyan (maternal side)

Sunspot: Afro-Brazilian

Jet: Jamaican

Cecilia Reyes: Afro-Puerto Rican

John Stewart: African American

Batwing I: Congolese (from the Democratic Republic of Congo)

Dr. Voodoo: Haitian

Oya: Nigerian

Bishop: Australian Aborigine

Black Panther: Wakandan (Wakanda is fictional)

Vixen: Zambesian (Zambesi is fictional)

Static: African American

Blink: Chinese-Jamaican (she is mixed with Chinese and Afro-Jamaican)

joshuagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korg: he is Afro-Brazilian and race is literally an integral part of his origin story

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.