Black Mutants?

#101 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio
Citizen Vance* said:
"King Hyperion said:
"Marvel Knight said:
"King Hyperion said:
"
What about The Blue Marvel? In the first issue of his mini-series it was revealed that he was the main reason why Robert Kelly (who appears as a young man in the comic) created Project: Wideawake to take down the Mutants in the first place, not only that but Kelly implied that The Blue Marvel had been born with his abilities and did not get them by other means. So wouldn't that make The Blue Marvel a Mutant and possibly an Omega-Level one at that?
"
Mutant, maybe. Omega-Level, no."
Are you sure he isn't Omega-Level? I mean the man is way stronger and far more powerful than The Sentry and was easily able to defeat The Anti-Man (who pwned The Sentry with a single punch when they first fought each other) and if that doesn't classify him an Omega-Level Mutant, then what would? I mean how does one even classify someone as being an Omega-Level Mutant?


pixelized said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"pixelized said:
"apocalypse is black? lol"
Technically yes."
because of being born in Africa?"
Actually Apocalypse was born in Egypt but it wasn't until the day he met Nathaniel Essex (Mister Sinister) that we got to see what he looked like under all that Celestial technology Eson the Searcher gave him. Though he looks more like an African than an Egyptian, which is kind of odd but that could have been a side-effect of implanting himself with Eson's technology."
Egypt is in Africa so I don't know how you can look more Egyptian than African.That is like saying you can look more European than German."
You'll have to forgive me, my mind's a little mixed up thanks to three major and particularly annoying seizures I've had in the last couple of years, in fact...I don't know where the Hell I was going with that train of thought. All I wanted to put was that he was born in Egypt. *Bows head in Embarrassment and places Palm on Face*
#102 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
Citizen Vance* said:
"BTW Blue Marvel isn't a mutant."

#103 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
King Hyperion said:
"Marvel Knight said:
"King Hyperion said:
"
What about The Blue Marvel? In the first issue of his mini-series it was revealed that he was the main reason why Robert Kelly (who appears as a young man in the comic) created Project: Wideawake to take down the Mutants in the first place, not only that but Kelly implied that The Blue Marvel had been born with his abilities and did not get them by other means. So wouldn't that make The Blue Marvel a Mutant and possibly an Omega-Level one at that?
"
Mutant, maybe. Omega-Level, no."
Are you sure he isn't Omega-Level? I mean the man is way stronger and far more powerful than The Sentry and was easily able to defeat The Anti-Man (who pwned The Sentry with a single punch when they first fought each other) and if that doesn't classify him an Omega-Level Mutant, then what would? I mean how does one even classify someone as being an Omega-Level Mutant?


pixelized said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"pixelized said:
"apocalypse is black? lol"
Technically yes."
because of being born in Africa?"
Actually Apocalypse was born in Egypt but the day he met Nathaniel Essex (Mister Sinister) when he wasn't wearing the technology that Eson the Searcher of The Celestials gave him he looked a lot more African than Egyptian. Though I suppose that could be a side-effect of implanting Celestial technology into your body and then taking it out for a while to pass as a normal person while you go out and make some new friends."
You know egypt is in africa right?
Moderator
#104 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
You know egypt is in africa right?"
I told him. =]
#105 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay first off, I screwed up when I said that Robert Kelly was the one who suggested that The Blue Marvel was a Mutant, it was actually Bolivar Trask and after double-checking Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #2, President Kennedy assumed that Trask thought The Blue Marvel was a Mutant but Trask said otherwise. So you (Citizen Vance) are correct and I was mistaken, though it would have been cool if he was revealed to be a Mutant.

Second, I always for some reason think Egypt isn't in Africa because its so damn close to Europe. I mean it's RIGHT THERE. You just need to take a train Eastward and BAM! You are in Italy...I think...ah Hell I don't know! Someone hand me a world map! *Bows head in embarrassment and puts Palm on Face*

#106 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
King Hyperion said:
"Okay first off, I screwed up when I said that Robert Kelly was the one who suggested that The Blue Marvel was a Mutant, it was actually Bolivar Trask and after double-checking Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #2, President Kennedy assumed that Trask thought The Blue Marvel was a Mutant but Trask said otherwise. So you (Citizen Vance) are correct and I was mistaken, though it would have been cool if he was revealed to be a Mutant.

Second, I always for some reason think Egypt isn't in Africa because its so damn close to Europe. I mean it's RIGHT THERE. You just need to take a train Eastward and BAM! You are in Italy...I think...ah Hell I don't know! Someone hand me a world map! *Bows head in embarrassment and puts Palm on Face*"
Not to keep this going but if you look on the map..Egypt is actually connected to Saudi Arabia which still would make Egypt nowhere near European.It would make Egypt and Arab nation.
It's all good though.
#107 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay...so we have established that The Blue Marvel is NOT a Mutant unless it is stated otherwise, correct?

#108 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
King Hyperion said:
"Okay...so we have established that The Blue Marvel is NOT a Mutant unless it is stated otherwise, correct?"
Yes.I'm pretty sure he's human though.
#109 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Point is: if it can spark a discussion such as this, there should be more black mutants. Also, I checked Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4 featuring the New Mutants (Sunspot's first appearance), and Sunspot is definitively called black in that issue. Brazilian, but black in Brazil. So, there's that.

#110 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
DFChewie said:
"Point is: if it can spark a discussion such as this, there should be more black mutants. Also, I checked Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4 featuring the New Mutants (Sunspot's first appearance), and Sunspot is definitively called black in that issue. Brazilian, but black in Brazil. So, there's that."
Sunspot could possibly be Black but that isn't confirmed.I think it was hinted early on that his father might not be his real father.
#111 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio
Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"Point is: if it can spark a discussion such as this, there should be more black mutants. Also, I checked Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4 featuring the New Mutants (Sunspot's first appearance), and Sunspot is definitively called black in that issue. Brazilian, but black in Brazil. So, there's that."
Sunspot could possibly be Black but that isn't confirmed.I think it was hinted early on that his father might not be his real father."
He's called black in the issue! He self-identifies as black, and the players on the opponent soccer team make racial slurs about him.
#112 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
DFChewie said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"Point is: if it can spark a discussion such as this, there should be more black mutants. Also, I checked Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4 featuring the New Mutants (Sunspot's first appearance), and Sunspot is definitively called black in that issue. Brazilian, but black in Brazil. So, there's that."
Sunspot could possibly be Black but that isn't confirmed.I think it was hinted early on that his father might not be his real father."
He's called black in the issue! He self-identifies as black, and the players on the opponent soccer team make racial slurs about him."
That doesn't make any sense.He was born in Brazil and both of his parents are Brazilian.Brazilians aren't black.
#113 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"Point is: if it can spark a discussion such as this, there should be more black mutants. Also, I checked Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4 featuring the New Mutants (Sunspot's first appearance), and Sunspot is definitively called black in that issue. Brazilian, but black in Brazil. So, there's that."
Sunspot could possibly be Black but that isn't confirmed.I think it was hinted early on that his father might not be his real father."
He's called black in the issue! He self-identifies as black, and the players on the opponent soccer team make racial slurs about him."
That doesn't make any sense.He was born in Brazil and both of his parents are Brazilian.Brazilians aren't black."
There are black Brazilians there are black people where ever there was a slave trade during the time Africans were slaves.  "
That is not the point.If your parents are 100% Brazilian than so are you.If you are from Brazil..born and raised and you are of African decent,than you are black...but that isn't what I am talking about.
#114 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio

He is of African descent. So are his parents. That doesn't make them any less Brazilian. I'm of Irish descent, but that doesn't make me any less American.

#115 Posted by Citizen Vance* (293 posts) - - Show Bio
DFChewie said:
"He is of African descent. 
 Where does it say that?
#116 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio
Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"He is of African descent. 
 Where does it say that?"
In Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4! Where he is introduced, he is described as black. Unless that means something other than "of African descent", there it is. Hang on, and I'll get a pic of it.
#117 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
DFChewie said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"He is of African descent. 
 Where does it say that?"
In Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4! Where he is introduced, he is described as black. Unless that means something other than "of African descent", there it is. Hang on, and I'll get a pic of it."
If you had a pic..you should have just posted that from the jump.
Moderator
#118 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

There's nothing there.

Moderator
#119 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio

That's Sunfire. Roberto Da Costa. And in the right panel, he is called black.
#120 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"There's nothing there."
Sorry, my computer messed up. I got it working, though. And, I just got this pic, sorry, but it's up now.
#121 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
DFChewie said:
"
That's Sunfire. Roberto Da Costa. And in the right panel, he is called black.
"

As an insult..........
#122 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
DFChewie said:
"
That's Sunfire. Roberto Da Costa. And in the right panel, he is called black.
"
Not to seem like I am reaching but they are making reference to his skin color.He is a tad lighter than me (i'm black),visually he is black...I can tell just by looking at his hair and the tone of his skin he is Brazilian.If you've ever been to Brazil you would know there are some dark brazilians.
Moderator
#123 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Citizen Vance* saidCitizen Vance* said:
"Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"Citizen Vance* said:
"DFChewie said:
"Point is: if it can spark a discussion such as this, there should be more black mutants. Also, I checked Marvel Graphic Novel No. 4 featuring the New Mutants (Sunspot's first appearance), and Sunspot is definitively called black in that issue. Brazilian, but black in Brazil. So, there's that."
Sunspot could possibly be Black but that isn't confirmed.I think it was hinted early on that his father might not be his real father."
He's called black in the issue! He self-identifies as black, and the players on the opponent soccer team make racial slurs about him."
That doesn't make any sense.He was born in Brazil and both of his parents are Brazilian.Brazilians aren't black."
There are black Brazilians there are black people where ever there was a slave trade during the time Africans were slaves.  "
That is not the point.If your parents are 100% Brazilian than so are you.If you are from Brazil..born and raised and you are of African decent,than you are black...but that isn't what I am talking about."
There is no such thing as 100% Brazilian unless they are of the natives that lived there before Europeans came there, and before that they were not called Brazilians so I don't see your point, you said Brazilians aren't black, of course they are, they have white ones too.  I'm at least 600th generation american and I'm black too, why does it make sense over here and not there?  Just like North America most of South America is Black, White and Native due to the same circumstances, the transatlantic slave trade, is my point."
There is a such thing as 100% Brazilian.Brazilians are no different than Puerto Ricans or Haitians.They may be of the decent of another race but they are their own race.They have features that are true to their culture that differ from others.Brazilians are more Portuguese\Latin than anything..so I don't know where you are getting black from.
Moderator
#124 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:

what you seem to mistakenly be referring to as race are nationality and ethinicity.  they are brazilian because they live in brazil, puerto ricans and hatians the same, because there are white puerto ricans, so a person from canadas race is canandian?

"
No....OMG! Canada is exactly the same as the states.There is no such thing as a real Canadian.What I am saying is Haitians are Black and Puerto Ricans are Hispanic.Like in Brazil..people who are considered Brazilian are Portuguese\Hispanic not Black.If you are black as in you are of African decent and you live in Brazil..you are still black,not Brazilian.Brazil is not like America or Canada....Most Middle America\South America countries were settled by a specific race..most South America cultures are of Spanish decent and are by no means considered Black.
Moderator
#125 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Phoenix of the Black Throne said:

what you seem to mistakenly be referring to as race are nationality and ethinicity.  they are brazilian because they live in brazil, puerto ricans and hatians the same, because there are white puerto ricans, so a person from canadas race is canandian?

"
No....OMG! Canada is exactly the same as the states.There is no such thing as a real Canadian.What I am saying is Haitians are Black and Puerto Ricans are Hispanic.Like in Brazil..people who are considered Brazilian are Portuguese\Hispanic not Black.If you are black as in you are of African decent and you live in Brazil..you are still black,not Brazilian.Brazil is not like America or Canada....Most Middle America\South America countries were settled by a specific race..most South America cultures are of Spanish decent and are by no means considered Black."

they are of spanish decent because they were the Europeans that settled and took over, and brought slaves the same  way things went down in america, if you aee re black and are born in brazil you are both, but one is your race the other your nationality.  If you took anthropology 101 you'd know that there are three races negroid, caucasoid and mongloid then people are subcatogorized by location etc...  south america and north america are the same in the fact that europeans came and brought african slaves. what are you talking about?  The spanish owned much of america , Florida, California, and a lot more of the west coast and lost it to the english speaking europeans later thus the many cities that have spanish names in some of those areas."
None of this goes against the point I just made.Brazilians are not black.
EDIT: When you say what are you talking about? The spanish OWNED much of America? WTF are you talking about? That has nothing to do with anything.
Moderator
#126 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"it has to do with you saying that people are not black because of what country they are from, south america was not spanish until people from spain went over there, the point about them owning america is to show that they were here too and the only reason we don't speak spanish is because the english won, if spain kept land here say L.A. for example would all the black peope there not be black, by your logic they would not be, and that what you are talking about has nothing to with race, but nationality and culture.  So black people in england are not black there race is english?  instead of trying to be confrontational you should sit back and read the nonsense you wrote, are white people born in africa not white?  since you think that the name of your country is your race.  There are black people in brazil that are both black and brazilian.  Just like chinese jamaicians, they are chinese and jamaician, not because they are mixed it's because they are of chinese decent and born in Jamaica.  using your logic nobody is black because they don't live in the country of black, so I guess I'm american and not black because I live in america right, for you to suggest that racial identity does not apply based on geographic location is utterly ridciulous.  I bring up spanish people owning parts of america because you obviously need schooling on why south america is mosty spanish speaking as you don't seem to understand the concept of colonization."
Here's your Social Studies,History,Geography lesson for the day.
First of all lets start off with Sunspot.As you can see Sunspot has curly black hair and reddish brown skin.Typical Brazilian features.People who are of African decent and nothing more don't have naturally curly hair.That's why perms exist.Sunspot's last name is DeCosta.That is a last name that is true to people of Spanish decent.The minority and Brazil...the people we call Brazilian (not just because they are from Brazil) are of Portugese\Latin\Spanish decent.So if Sunspot is in fact black..that would mean he is mixed as in only one of his parents are black.I know both of his parents are Brazilian so that point is dead.I suggested that maybe Sunspot could be black because of early hints from Sunspot's father..that he doesn't look like him but someone else he knows...a person whom could be black.

Now.What you are saying has nothing to do what I am saying.I know hat South America was not spanish until people os Spanish decent came there and settled but I am not debating that..what I am debating is the fact that they are indeed marginally spanish.All this stuff you are saying about the English being the Spaniards and all of the stuff doesn't mean anything at all when it comes to what my point is.You say the words..by my logic and than say something that has absolutely no relevance.I never said that the name of someone's country was their race.

When I said Brazilians...are not black..you said they are...and they are not.That isn't to say there isn't black Brazilians.Let me relate something to the BS logic you are giving me.If you go to Mexico..what do they speak? Spanish correct? If you go to Puerto Rico..what do the speak? Same thing right? If you meet someone and they say they are Puerto Rican..you are expecting someone who is of Spanish decent correct? So if I am of African decent and I was born,raised in Puerto Rico and they have citizen ship..Are you saying you are going to call them Puerto Rican Black or are they just black.Of African decent is black.PERIOD.It doesn't matter where you live or where your citizenship is..if you are of African decent you are Black.You are saying that I am saying the exact opposite of that.You keep bring up place like Canada,England,and Canada too as if they actually have their own culture and they aren't an amalgamation of them all.You cannot compare them to Brazil.

To conclude this..Sunspot was CALLED black in reference to his skin color and not an actual representation of his ethnicity.There are black born Brazilians but Roberto DeCosta isn't one.
Moderator
#127 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"

spanish is not a race and the spanish people from spain that came to the americas were white europeans, you seem to think that a person who looks black would be called brazilian because according to you brazilian people look a certain way regardless of their ancestry, that would suggest that you believe that race is only relevant to your nationatity.  Did you even for one second stop to think that if brazil was colonized by europeans and they already had an indigenous people that were originally of mongloid decent where did do the dark skinned ones come from if not of african decent which in this day and age makes you black.  You are saying that sunspot is not black he brazilan he is both, they even call him black in his native tongue suggesting that the red headed white boy is also brazilian but he is white.  I never made any claim that brazilians are black I said there were black brazilian of which sunspot is obviously one.  once again you prove that you are confused about the issue of race when you bring up citizenship,  puerto rican is puerto rican but if he is of african decent he is black but still puerto rican, they even put it on job applications, they ask if you are hispanic seperate from the section that gives you the black or white choice, if you are latino you are expected to check two boxes.   you say that england and canada don't have there own cultures, england has it's own culture as evidenced of them spreading it all over until many of their colonies gained independence.  Brazil is just as cross cultural as any other american country as they were colonized by europeans who brought slaves over, you think the indigenous people of brazil speak portuguese and have christmas?  they don't not until they move into the citys and learn these things.  if sunspot is not of african desecent then why on earth has he consistantly been colored darker than Storm who is the product of black american and an african?  If he weren't of african ancestry the guy would not have called him, black, while commenting on the color of his skin and of him being an "animal" it is common knowledge that racist white people referred to the decendents of slaves as animals because that is what they thought of the slaves, they have a tendency to call those of native american decent savages, not animals.  My brother plays pro ball abroad, he was in south america he has brown skin and naturally curly hair that you seem to believe black people can't have yet he was called nigger just like everybody else that shared a similar or darker skin tone than him whether they were born there or not, so don't sit and say that calling sunspot black has nothing to do with his ancestry, there are people from india that are darker than a lot of black people and I have never once heard anyone refer to them as black for the sake of being a racist dick, because there other racist names built especially for them.  Slaves were raped and impregnated and ran away and taking in by the natives in south america just like they were in north america the only difference in those days was which european country owned what, dark skinned people from countries involved in the transatlantic slave trade are of african descent point blank, melanin content in the other two races is not high enough to produce a skin color like sunspot without him having a black ancestor.  And since you brought up puerto rico, my best friends father is puerto rican he and I had a long discussion about him being classified as black when he was growing up there because of his brown skin.  it is so amazing how somebody can make the ignorant comment about people of african descent not having naturally curly hair and then not know the difference between a perm and relaxer, if not curly then what is the natural state of the hair?  it's ridiculous because black peoples natural hair texture varies from family to family and even on an individual basis within families i have brothers, sisters aunts uncles etc  who have straigt, curly and wavey hair with no chemical help, my father is as dark skinned as bernie mac and has blue eyes, get a clue.

"
Sunspot isn't black....
Moderator
#128 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"

yVance Astro said:

"Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"

spanish is not a race and the spanish people from spain that came to the americas were white europeans, you seem to think that a person who looks black would be called brazilian because according to you brazilian people look a certain way regardless of their ancestry, that would suggest that you believe that race is only relevant to your nationatity.  Did you even for one second stop to think that if brazil was colonized by europeans and they already had an indigenous people that were originally of mongloid decent where did do the dark skinned ones come from if not of african decent which in this day and age makes you black.  You are saying that sunspot is not black he brazilan he is both, they even call him black in his native tongue suggesting that the red headed white boy is also brazilian but he is white.  I never made any claim that brazilians are black I said there were black brazilian of which sunspot is obviously one.  once again you prove that you are confused about the issue of race when you bring up citizenship,  puerto rican is puerto rican but if he is of african decent he is black but still puerto rican, they even put it on job applications, they ask if you are hispanic seperate from the section that gives you the black or white choice, if you are latino you are expected to check two boxes.   you say that england and canada don't have there own cultures, england has it's own culture as evidenced of them spreading it all over until many of their colonies gained independence.  Brazil is just as cross cultural as any other american country as they were colonized by europeans who brought slaves over, you think the indigenous people of brazil speak portuguese and have christmas?  they don't not until they move into the citys and learn these things.  if sunspot is not of african desecent then why on earth has he consistantly been colored darker than Storm who is the product of black american and an african?  If he weren't of african ancestry the guy would not have called him, black, while commenting on the color of his skin and of him being an "animal" it is common knowledge that racist white people referred to the decendents of slaves as animals because that is what they thought of the slaves, they have a tendency to call those of native american decent savages, not animals.  My brother plays pro ball abroad, he was in south america he has brown skin and naturally curly hair that you seem to believe black people can't have yet he was called nigger just like everybody else that shared a similar or darker skin tone than him whether they were born there or not, so don't sit and say that calling sunspot black has nothing to do with his ancestry, there are people from india that are darker than a lot of black people and I have never once heard anyone refer to them as black for the sake of being a racist dick, because there other racist names built especially for them.  Slaves were raped and impregnated and ran away and taking in by the natives in south america just like they were in north america the only difference in those days was which european country owned what, dark skinned people from countries involved in the transatlantic slave trade are of african descent point blank, melanin content in the other two races is not high enough to produce a skin color like sunspot without him having a black ancestor.  And since you brought up puerto rico, my best friends father is puerto rican he and I had a long discussion about him being classified as black when he was growing up there because of his brown skin.  it is so amazing how somebody can make the ignorant comment about people of african descent not having naturally curly hair and then not know the difference between a perm and relaxer, if not curly then what is the natural state of the hair?  it's ridiculous because black peoples natural hair texture varies from family to family and even on an individual basis within families i have brothers, sisters aunts uncles etc  who have straigt, curly and wavey hair with no chemical help, my father is as dark skinned as bernie mac and has blue eyes, get a clue.

"
Sunspot isn't black...."

yes he is, the indigenous peoples of Brazil are of mongloid descent and the Portuguese are of cacausoid descent neither racial group has the melanin content to produce somebody with his dark skin without the aid of somebody of negroid descent and considering his father is about the same shade as he is,  that ancestor may not be that far back in history.  He is also subject to the one-drop rule which was very popular back in the day and is still referred to in these modern times.

"
Every published source says he's Brazilian.Brazilian doesn't=Black...The color of his skin doesn't make him black either.
Moderator
#129 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Brazilian is not a race it is his nationality, if you say he isn't black fine, then tell me what is his race, not his nationality or ethnicity.  If he is not black and obviously of african descent, even though a racist commented on his skin color called him black and made a comment that has been historically directed towards people of african desecnt that live in places involved in the transatlantic slave trade, what is his race?"
Sunspot isn't black and that's all that matters.
Moderator
#130 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Mexican is not a race either you are still speaking of nationality.  Hispanic is not a race it is an ethnicity with subsets since Mexicans have different cultural practices than Puerto Ricans,and largely depends on what part of the world you are from you can be hispanic and be from Spain and be white, Mexicans are the desendents of Aztecs and Mayans until they were invaded by the European Spanish.  Some mixing went on but as you can see many a Mexican look more like there Aztec and Mayan ancestors more than the caucasian Spanish.  Puerto Rican people are either the white ones, the black ones or the ones that are mixed which is why many a lightskinned black person (myself included) can be mistaken for what people believe to be a native of PR, the history of PR before Columbus is virtually lost, though the people who were there before the Europeans migrated from South American making them related to the same people that migrated from further up north, we call them indians, they are of mongloid desecent.  Now that is out of the way, what is Sunspot race if not black?"
Sunspot is hispanic..I said that already.
race\nationaility...you are just splitting hairs on that one.
Moderator
#131 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Mexican is not a race either you are still speaking of nationality.  Hispanic is not a race it is an ethnicity with subsets since Mexicans have different cultural practices than Puerto Ricans,and largely depends on what part of the world you are from you can be hispanic and be from Spain and be white, Mexicans are the desendents of Aztecs and Mayans until they were invaded by the European Spanish.  Some mixing went on but as you can see many a Mexican look more like there Aztec and Mayan ancestors more than the caucasian Spanish.  Puerto Rican people are either the white ones, the black ones or the ones that are mixed which is why many a lightskinned black person (myself included) can be mistaken for what people believe to be a native of PR, the history of PR before Columbus is virtually lost, though the people who were there before the Europeans migrated from South American making them related to the same people that migrated from further up north, we call them indians, they are of mongloid desecent.  Now that is out of the way, what is Sunspot race if not black?"
Sunspot is hispanic..I said that already."

that is not a race I already said that and even explained to you why it isn't there are three races of man hispanic is an ethnic group not a race.  That is why you can be hispanic and of afican desecent as I explained when I gave you the example of the job application.  So I'll ask you again what is his race, not his nationality or his ethnicity, his race!"
If he had to check a race box...he would have to check other\latin.
Moderator
#132 Edited by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people deserve to be beat up side of the head for the blatant stupidity I have just read. Let me make a few simple points.

1. Not all black people have afro hair. We also have naturally strait hair.

2. Being Brazilian is your nationality as stated by Phoenix of the Black Throne. Saying it defines your race is like saying that a Kenyan person isn't white because they are Kenyan. Pure stupidity.

3. Brazil has the highest population of Black people outside of Africa (they identify themselves as black) your pigment doesn't define your nationality.

4. People are only black because of their skin colour. There is no such thing as a predominant black culture. Being Brazilian means that you were Born in Brazil or have lived there for an extended period of time. Nothing more and nothing less. Largest population of black people outside of Africa remember.

5. Black is an identity. Some of you guys saying that he's not black because he never called himself black, makes a point. I identify as being black because of our definition of black here in the west, but if I turned around and said I'm not black, who are you or anybody else to argue? Many people who we consider to be black refer to themselves in different lights. Being African is not the same as being black. Africa's a continent not a country. Try and remember that.

6. Who ever said that being Brazilian means your not black is the most stupid ignorant uneducated fool I've ever come across. Black defines your skin colour, nothing more and nothing less. It doesn't define your culture unless you allow it to. When someone asks "where are you from" I've never heard someone else reply "I'm black".

7. And that brings me to my last point. If you think Brazilians cannot be Black then you shouldn't consider anybody to be black in the first place. I'm Ugandan born and bred, but that Doesn't make me black, that makes me Ugandan. What makes me black is the racist mindset which has been forced into our way of thinking and we've twisted and augmented it to make it seem real. Biologically there is no such thing as race in humans other than the human race. In biological terms race is defined by genetics variation within a species. Being of a different race is being of a different sub-species, yet many Africans share genetics with many non Africans more so than they do with other Africans of the same so called race. People from Madagascar share genetics closer with Russians than they do with other Africans. The frequency of blood group B allele in Russia is the same as in Madagascar indicating zero value for genetic distance. When it comes to blood types its only really possible to trace your ancestry to a specific continent. Believe it or not but many people regardless of skin pigment can trace their origins to Africa and in Africa many people can be born with varying hair texture, skin pigment and so on because Africa's a continent not a country.

Here's a questions. My cousins (brothers) are both albino so they wouldn't come under the category as black yet their little brother and sister both have brown skin and their parents also have brown skin. Are they black? and when does being black define your genetic make-up?

#133 Posted by Citizen Vance (200 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:

If he had to check a race box...he would have to check other\latin.
"
and when you check the box when you are white or black there is another box that wants to know, if you are black or white and of hispanic origin, so your point is moot."
No My point isn't moot..it's not even a point..it's answer to a question.You said if Sunspot isn't black than what is he and I said if he has to check a box..like when you fill out an appilcation..he would see.....
White which includes British,Italian,German,Dutch,Caucasian,Polish,Welch,most Middle Eastern etc.
Black which includes Jamaican,Haitian,African American,Nigerian,Kenyan,Alaskan,and American Native
Asian which includes Chinese,Korean,Malaysian,Indian,Japanese,Thai,Pakistani,Hawaiian,Samoan,Pacific Islanders,Filipino and Vietnamese
Other which includes Mullato (mixed black and white),Cuban,Puerto Rican,Mexican etc.

^This is directly from the census notes.Brazilians could not claim Black,White or Asian because Brazilians are a mixture of different races..and I don't mean that as in how Americans area ll different races I mean like how someone we call Mullato is just as black as they are white.Mullatos check the other box because they are 50-50 Black and White and you can't check both.Alot of them claim the race Black but they are in fact just as white as Black.Now as for Sunspot..I am saying that he is in the other category..he isn't black..he isn't white and he's not asian.
#134 Posted by Citizen Vance (200 posts) - - Show Bio
BlackPanther said:
"Some people deserve to be beat up side of the head for the blatant stupidity I have just read. Let me make a few simple points.

1. Not all black people have afro hair. We also have naturally strait hair.

2. Being Brazilian is your nationality as stated by Phoenix of the Black Throne. Saying it defines your race is like saying that a Kenyan person isn't white because they are Kenyan. Pure stupidity.

3. Brazil has the highest population of Black people outside of Africa (they identify themselves as black) your pigment doesn't define your nationality.

4. People are only black because of their skin colour. There is no such thing as a predominant black culture. Being Brazilian means that you were Born in Brazil or have lived there for an extended period of time. Nothing more and nothing less. Largest population of black people outside of Africa remember.

5. Black is an identity. Some of you guys saying that he's not black because he never called himself black, makes a point. I identify as being black because of our definition of black here in the west, but if I turned around and said I'm not black, who are you or anybody else to argue? Many people who we consider to be black refer to themselves in different lights. Being African is not the same as being black. Africa's a continent not a country. Try and remember that.

6. Who ever said that being Brazilian means your not black is the most stupid ignorant uneducated fool I've ever come across. Black defines your skin colour, nothing more and nothing less. It doesn't define your culture unless you allow it to. When someone asks "where are you from" I've never heard someone else reply "I'm black".

7. And that brings me to my last point. If you think Brazilians cannot be Black then you shouldn't consider anybody to be black in the first place. I'm Ugandan born and bred, but that Doesn't make me black, that makes me Ugandan. What makes me black is the racist mindset which has been forced into our way of thinking and we've twisted and augmented it to make it seem real. Biologically there is no such thing as race in humans other than the human race. In biological terms race is defined by genetics variation within a species. Being of a different race is being of a different sub-species, yet many Africans share genetics with many non Africans more so than they do with other Africans of the same so called race. People from Madagascar share genetics closer with Russians than they do with other Africans. The frequency of blood group B allele in Russia is the same as in Madagascar indicating zero value for genetic distance. When it comes to blood types its only really possible to trace your ancestry to a specific continent. Believe it or not but many people regardless of skin pigment can trace their origins to Africa and in Africa many people can be born with varying hair texture, skin pigment and so on because Africa's a continent not a country.

Here's a questions. My cousins (brothers) are both albino so they wouldn't come under the category as black yet their little brother and sister both have brown skin and their parents also have brown skin. Are they black? and when does being black define your genetic make-up?"
1.This is true but it's highly unlikely that Marvel meant for him to be black\brazilian and gave him those characteristics.
2.This is true..but it is to be expected that any time you meet a Kenyan they will be black.The majority in Kenya is black.
3.Pigment doesn't define your nationality but Portugese\Brazilians tend to have an unusual tint like a Native American color ("red man").
4.People are not black because of their skin color.Indians are considered Asian and I have seen some darker than I am..and I'm dark skin.Black identifies all people of direct African decent
5.I can't respond to this because I didn't say that.
6.I said Brazilian doesn't automatically=black as in you aren't black just because you are Brazilian.If you are a black Brazilian that can be possible but you are not black because you are Brazilian.
7.I never said Brazilians couldn't be black so I hope you weren't talking to me.I know there are black people everywhere.I also know Pele' is a black Brazilian.There are also German Brazilians and a whole bunch of others.


If you have two black parents and you are born Albino..you are still black because your parents are of descended from Africans.Brown skin isn't a race so there is no way of telling what to call someone who is just brown skin.Middle Eastern people can be brown skin..doesn't make them black.
#135 Posted by Citizen Vance (200 posts) - - Show Bio
Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
"Citizen Vance said:
"Phoenix of the Black Throne said:

If he had to check a race box...he would have to check other\latin.
"
and when you check the box when you are white or black there is another box that wants to know, if you are black or white and of hispanic origin, so your point is moot."
No My point isn't moot..it's not even a point..it's answer to a question.You said if Sunspot isn't black than what is he and I said if he has to check a box..like when you fill out an appilcation..he would see.....
White which includes British,Italian,German,Dutch,Caucasian,Polish,Welch,most Middle Eastern etc.
Black which includes Jamaican,Haitian,African American,Nigerian,Kenyan,Alaskan,and American Native
Asian which includes Chinese,Korean,Malaysian,Indian,Japanese,Thai,Pakistani,Hawaiian,Samoan,Pacific Islanders,Filipino and Vietnamese
Other which includes Mullato (mixed black and white),Cuban,Puerto Rican,Mexican etc.

^This is directly from the census notes.Brazilians could not claim Black,White or Asian because Brazilians are a mixture of different races..and I don't mean that as in how Americans area ll different races I mean like how someone we call Mullato is just as black as they are white.Mullatos check the other box because they are 50-50 Black and White and you can't check both.Alot of them claim the race Black but they are in fact just as white as Black.Now as for Sunspot..I am saying that he is in the other category..he isn't black..he isn't white and he's not asian.
"
just stop you're wrong and have no point."
I am absolutely right and I do have a point.If I am wrong..what the hell makes Sunspot black? Because he's dark skin? Because that isn't black.
#136 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Locus!


But she's now dead
Moderator
#137 Posted by The Rorschach (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait a second... Is this a racial joke?

#138 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

Read the opening post. Ignore the other nonsense.

Moderator
#139 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Cipher.

Moderator
#140 Edited by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio

There are plenty of black mutants, whats missing in action is mixed mutants T_T
 
Yes i know sunspot is Brazilian which would mean he's mixed with everything, but he only represents a darker one, they're all the same thing, you just have the 'whiter ones' and the 'blacker ones', everyone with dark skin should not be put in a black category, Sunspot is not black, the majority who consider themselves black are the ones who could actualy pass as all black, Sunspot would fit in the 'Brown' category aka mixed.
 
and idunno where people are getting this info that darker brazilians consider themselves black because last time i checked the darker ones, my father included consider themselves mixed and thats like  42.3%  in Brazil, and the ones that identify themselves as white is 49 %, the percentage of those who identified as white used to be higher but is decreasing every year because more & more brazilians who consider themselves white are switching to the mixed category which is 'racially' correct. ones who consider themselves black is a puny 7.4 % compared to those who identify as White or mixed thats nothing.
 
Anyway i'd love to find out about some more 'Mixed' mutants, besides sunpot i know of none lol

#141 Posted by kingjaimz (19 posts) - - Show Bio

THere Were not that many anyways
#142 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Venus Dee Milo black?

#143 Edited by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio

Apocalypse.
 
Shadow King.
 
Living Monolith.

#144 Posted by DevilmanEX (617 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" i thought she was french "
there are Black Europeans silly goose
#145 Posted by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Mandrill was a white guy who's mutation gave him darker skin and Nekra was a black woman who's mutation gave her white skin. 
 
Also, Gateway is an aborigine and Bishop is his descendant. Sunspot is a latino (maybe blatino) and Darwin is hispanic as well. 
 
Wish I wasn't weeding out your list but it appears to be much smaller :(

#146 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@DevilmanEX: Probably meant white French.
#147 Posted by rbysjti (10690 posts) - - Show Bio

Ororo Munroe of course.  Though she doesn't look like a black on this image
 

#148 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" Apocalypse.  Shadow King.  Living Monolith. "
Apocalypse isn't black..


 Grey Skin?
#149 Posted by Erik (32057 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Edamame said:
" Apocalypse.  Shadow King.  Living Monolith. "
Apocalypse isn't black..


 Grey Skin?
"
Very true. Plus, were his parents egyptian anyway or some such?
Online
#150 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@erik: Yeah, I'd see him with the Middle Eastern look going..dark skin but not enough to depict him as Black

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.