Black Mutants?

#1 Posted by Scribbles (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay...here's an issue.  We all know about Storm, Bishop, and Gentle, but where are all the other cool black mutants in the marvel universe?  Prodigy lost his powers, and he was cool.  Who else is there?  Frenzy and Tempo, but is that it?  What other black mutants are still running around with powers in the Marvelverse?  Help me out, here!  HELP!!

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

uhhhhh........

i can't think of any.........

#3 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio

Jazz?

#4 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

oooh wasn't Synch black?

#5 Posted by Cobalt (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

Darwin's still out there.

#6 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Bishop, Nehzno, M...

#7 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

cecilia reyes

#8 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

m?
monet?

#9 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

and i'm pretty sure magot was black

#10 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"cecilia reyes"

puerto rican
#11 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"m?
monet?"
Yes. She's black. Or mixed with it...
#12 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought she was french

#13 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

oooh i forgot about tattoo
Bishops daughter

#15 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"i thought she was french"
Being French is a nationality. Not a race. She was born in Bosnia. Her mom was Algerian

Anyway, Windshear from Alpha Flight is also a black mutant...
#16 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

storm's great great great grand mother......the one from mystic arcana

#17 Posted by lunacava (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Threnody, if she's still kicking around?

#18 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio
Scribbles said:
"Okay...here's an issue.  We all know about Storm, Bishop, and Gentle, but where are all the other cool black mutants in the marvel universe?  Prodigy lost his powers, and he was cool.  Who else is there?  Frenzy and Tempo, but is that it?  What other black mutants are still running around with powers in the Marvelverse?  Help me out, here!  HELP!!"

Here's a list of black mutants that are known to be powered after M-Day:

Bishop
Bling!
Cloak
Darwin
Doorman
Frenzy
Gateway
Gentle
Lightbright
Living Monolith
M
Mandrill
Sunspot
Storm
Tempo

Not so many.
#19 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

wow 15? is that really all?

#20 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Sunspot is Brazillian, and not black to the best of my knowledge.

#21 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe we could count Tito Bohusk as half black.
And Nekra is african-american, though also albino.

And there's a few that hasn't been confirmed to be either powered or depowered yet:

Cecilia Reyes
Emplate
Threnody
Timeslip

#22 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't cecilia puerto rican?

#23 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Sunspot is Brazillian, and not black to the best of my knowledge."

There are no black people in Brazil?
caption

#24 Posted by Ebony Bishop (767 posts) - - Show Bio

Goblyn and Pathway, also from Alpha Flight. I don't know if you count Exiles Heather Hudson, since she's alternate reality. Anarchist from X-Statix, although he's dead, but happy in the afterlife. Debrii from the New Warriors. Sunspot is supposed to be black, and Brazilian. Tag, from the New X-Men, also dead. Synch, from Gen X. Sillhouette from the New Warriors. Gorilla Girl is black, but they haven't said whether she's a mutant or not.

And not to burst any bubbles but Cloak is technically a "mutate", since his latent mutation was activated by drugs; And Rage's powers are from good old radioactive waste.

#25 Posted by Ripcord (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Neurotap from X-Force annual two? Is she black???

#26 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Korg said:
"Sunspot is Brazillian, and not black to the best of my knowledge."

There are no black people in Brazil?

Yes, yes that's exactly what I said Fesak. I've never heard Roberto referred to as being black. If you have, please tell me instead of just twisting my words.
#27 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio
Ebony Bishop said:
"Goblyn and Pathway, also from Alpha Flight. I don't know if you count Exiles Heather Hudson, since she's alternate reality. Anarchist from X-Statix, although he's dead, but happy in the afterlife. Debrii from the New Warriors. Sunspot is supposed to be black, and Brazilian. Tag, from the New X-Men, also dead. Synch, from Gen X. Sillhouette from the New Warriors. Gorilla Girl is black, but they haven't said whether she's a mutant or not.

And not to burst any bubbles but Cloak is technically a "mutate", since his latent mutation was activated by drugs; And Rage's powers are from good old radioactive waste.
"

Debrii and Silhouette are not mutants.

Cloak is a mutant. He is referred to one in all handbooks and such, he's not a mutate since he has the X-Gene, though it was latent. But he's still a mutant, and there has been others that had their x-gene latent, most notably Polaris.
#28 Posted by nkyzack (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Jazz was blue (he's dead).

Darwin's skin is grey, I dunno if he's of Afican descent...

What about that chick from the "Riot at Xaviers" storyarch. I think her name was Tattoo or something... Dunno her post M-day status, or she may have died in that arch.

And in the real world, there is no difrence of race between a 'white' or 'black' man (or woman), we are all Homo Sapien Sapien, yes sapien is suposed to be there twice. There have been difrent races of man, such as Homo Sapien Neadertaulus, the "Neanderthal man" and other races of  "cavemen". The only difrence between some one of African descent and European descent is the amount of melanin contained in ones skin. 

#29 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio
Ebony Bishop said:
"Goblyn and Pathway, also from Alpha Flight. I don't know if you count Exiles Heather Hudson, since she's alternate reality. Anarchist from X-Statix, although he's dead, but happy in the afterlife. Debrii from the New Warriors. Sunspot is supposed to be black, and Brazilian. Tag, from the New X-Men, also dead. Synch, from Gen X. Sillhouette from the New Warriors. Gorilla Girl is black, but they haven't said whether she's a mutant or not.

"
In exiles,  Heather Hudson originally thought her powers were gamma radiation but later found out she was given them by the Great Beast Tanraq. Something like that. SO, they were mystical. Not mutant.
#30 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

There's Shard, Bishops sister. She was black.....and a hologram.............and now she dead

#31 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot, Angel. She got depowered but she still has one kid who has his powers and is black.

#32 Posted by Zan (33 posts) - - Show Bio

he's not in the comics but how about Spyke from x-men evolution

#33 Posted by Zan (33 posts) - - Show Bio

oo..and isnt gateway black?

#34 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio
Zan said:
"oo..and isnt gateway black?"
Technically. I believe he's an Aborigine.
#35 Posted by beastmanX (285 posts) - - Show Bio

thats shame that theres not anymore. and i dont think sunspot is black

#36 Posted by time (4845 posts) - - Show Bio

you got bishop who is a villan now, and only storm and she not x-men that much anymore
there should be more black mutants, males or females.

#37 Posted by Greystone (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm should be the next to die.

#38 Posted by lionheart (1261 posts) - - Show Bio

luke cage and blade are obvious ones

#39 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
lionheart said:
"luke cage and blade are obvious ones"
Neither of them are mutants.
#40 Posted by lionheart (1261 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"lionheart said:
"luke cage and blade are obvious ones"
Neither of them are mutants."
oh crap im an idiot sorry about that
#41 Posted by time (4845 posts) - - Show Bio

why should storm die

#42 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio

Darwin's mother was shown as African-American.

#43 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

I already listed Darwin on the first page.
And some of you needs to read the original post better. TC asks for active mutants, not dead or depowered ones.
Also regarding Sunspot i obviously don't know the criteria for being black, but he has dark skin and hair and while using his powers he becomes pitch-black. What else would he need?

#44 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"I already listed Darwin on the first page.
And some of you needs to read the original post better. TC asks for active mutants, not dead or depowered ones.
Also regarding Sunspot i obviously don't know the criteria for being black, but he has dark skin and hair and while using his powers he becomes pitch-black. What else would he need?"
Dark skin makes you black?

What is black anyway?
#45 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio

Are Aborigines considered balck? 

#46 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio
Alpha said:
"fesak said:
Also regarding Sunspot i obviously don't know the criteria for being black, but he has dark skin and hair and while using his powers he becomes pitch-black. What else would he need?"

What is black anyway?"

When he powers up he becomes pitch-black, so Sunspot is really the only black mutant.
#47 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Alpha said:
"fesak said:

What is black anyway?"

When he powers up he becomes pitch-black, so Sunspot is really the only black mutant."
I agree with that statement.
#48 Posted by Scribbles (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks everyone!  Just to sum up what I know:  I think Synch is depowered, and I know Tag is dead.  I am also pretty sure Debrii is a mutant.  I have read some Marvel pages that listed her as one.  And I thought Darwin was Hispanic, not black.

But the bottom line is that there aren't many black mutants with any clout in the Marvel U.  You really can't call Bling, tattoo (who I'm 99% sure is depowered anyway), Debrii, or Doorman.

Thanks for the help, folks.  I'm working onn awesome alternate-reality type of X-Story, but I want one cool black mutant to put in there.  I think I have one now.  :)

#49 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Synch is dead...........

#50 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

There should be more black mutants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.