Better in an Alternate Universe?

#1 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

Who else agrees that the entire idea of X-Men, and mutants in general, works better in a world devoid of other superheroes? Not saying mutants CAN'T work with other heroes, but the idea that they're feared and hated while other heroes with powers pretty much get a free pass? That's a little hard to imagine at some points.

#2 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it kind of does work better in a world without other super humans, but only if you think too hard about it. X-Men have always been in their own little corner of the Marvel Universe tbh which is why no one ever thinks it's weird that people love avengers but hate x-men even though they're both super-powered. To be honest, I think the Ultimates Universe X-Men takes the whole mutant thing in a better direction where mutants aren't genetic evolution but rather failed government experiments.

#3 Edited by GonnaRain (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly. That's why I think the animated series made so much sense to me when I watched it growing up. There weren't really other super-powered humans aside from the Mutants. The sole focus of the series was, of course, the Mutants, no other heroe was mentioned (not that I remember at least), so it made sense to me, that humanity feared them because they were different, powerful, and in their eyes, dangerous. When my interest in Marvel grew, and I started watching/reading other series, and the whole Marvel Universe came together, it confused me how the different was the treatment between Mutants and other heroes, and it still does, so I try not to really think about it. Haha.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to agree that the X-Men should be in their own universe because it is a bit strange that despite them living in a world with other super humans running around, they are still considered a threat to society and it's getting harder and harder to believe how society would look down on them, when there are other superheroes with similar powers running around, not being feared by the public. Either they make the X-Men be somewhat accepted into society or they just put them in another world.

#5 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Outside of the Fantastic Four and the core Avengers, I don't think that there are very many characters with powers that the public really does trust. Spiderman and the Hulk have always been mistrusted, Namor's in the same boat as mutants, really; most people probably don't realize that characters like Daredevil or Luke Cage even have powers, and characters like Dr.Strange are most likely not even known to the general public. That all of these characters exist in the same world, and are viewed as they are, doesn't really seem like an hypocrisy to me.

What sets the X-men apart is that they wear their powers on their sleeve as part of their mandate. Whether it's Storm, Wolverine, or Cyclops' team, the X-men are meant to be a public statement about how mutants should be viewed, to engage public perception. Mutants are the issue, not super heroes. Superheroes can just change their clothes when they aren't saving the world, being a mutant is another thing entirely.

#6 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutants are a conglomerate minority-majority, super-humans are not.

#7 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I also get annoyed about how the superhero community seems segregated in the marvel u. But i don't know if it is explained in the books but could there be a difference because the X-men and other mutant groups are non-governmental organization/vigilante networks that work outside the law and government, while the Avengers and maybe Fantastic Four with and for them. I really don't know but the Avengers seem more supported because they are an institution where as the X-men are more of a community/cult.

Now things are changing. Which might make for an interesting new perception for mutants now.

#8 Posted by Xorion (439 posts) - - Show Bio

wasn't the whole idea of being feared is that mutants are next step of the evolution and for that threatening human kind. Other than that they're a commune but other super heroes are just seen as humans with powers. SO when a super powered criminal attacks they don't see anyone different but if a mutant attacks they can easily say that mutants attacked.

#9 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8737 posts) - - Show Bio

They should be in their own universe and stay there.

#10 Posted by karetaker (1565 posts) - - Show Bio

people think of mutants as diseased humans that need a cure.

#11 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@RawrImADragon said:

Yeah it kind of does work better in a world without other super humans, but only if you think too hard about it. X-Men have always been in their own little corner of the Marvel Universe tbh which is why no one ever thinks it's weird that people love avengers but hate x-men even though they're both super-powered. To be honest, I think the Ultimates Universe X-Men takes the whole mutant thing in a better direction where mutants aren't genetic evolution but rather failed government experiments.

Agreed.

#12 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm starting to agree that the X-Men should be in their own universe because it is a bit strange that despite them living in a world with other super humans running around, they are still considered a threat to society and it's getting harder and harder to believe how society would look down on them, when there are other superheroes with similar powers running around, not being feared by the public. Either they make the X-Men be somewhat accepted into society or they just put them in another world.

Exactly!! I mean, the X-Men have always been in their own corner of the Marvel U anyway and could really function very easily without other Marvel characters. I think mutants CAN work in the Marvel universe and I will admit when the X-Men were created the idea of them being a hated or feared minority was, and still is, a great concept. However when you add in other, non mutant superhuman's, that's when that message takes a nosedive.

I think Marvel should indeed create a separate universe where mutants are the only ones with powers and the world is otherwise devoid of superheroes. Well maybe have Iron Man or even Spider-Man, but keep the other superheroes to a very BARE minimum to the point it's almost non existent.

#13 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Exactly!! I mean, the X-Men have always been in their own corner of the Marvel U anyway and could really function very easily without other Marvel characters. I think mutants CAN work in the Marvel universe and I will admit when the X-Men were created the idea of them being a hated or feared minority was, and still is, a great concept. However when you add in other, non mutant superhuman's, that's when that message takes a nosedive.

I think Marvel should indeed create a separate universe where mutants are the only ones with powers and the world is otherwise devoid of superheroes. Well maybe have Iron Man or even Spider-Man, but keep the other superheroes to a very BARE minimum to the point it's almost non existent.

I agree with this! I think that the only other superheroes in the Marvel Universe that are slightly mistreated like the X-Men are the Hulk and Spider-man to some degree. They would fit perfectly in the X-Men's world if the X-men were to share a world with another Marvel character.

#14 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Spider-Man and his rogues gallery could work in a X-Men centric universe and so could Hulk's and of course Deadpool. The thing is that all of these characters fit with the hated and feared concept and wouldn't really be out of place. They COULD make references to other Marvel heroes, like Captain America who did exist but was never found and thawed out, have Tony Stark yet never have him become Iron Man, maybe even have Thor show up, but never have these cameos/guest appearances lead to a regularly occurring thing.

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Spider-Man and his rogues gallery could work in a X-Men centric universe and so could Hulk's and of course Deadpool. The thing is that all of these characters fit with the hated and feared concept and wouldn't really be out of place. They COULD make references to other Marvel heroes, like Captain America who did exist but was never found and thawed out, have Tony Stark yet never have him become Iron Man, maybe even have Thor show up, but never have these cameos/guest appearances lead to a regularly occurring thing.

That's a great way to introduce these characters!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.