Best X-Men writers?

#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

Who do you think were the best writers for the X-Men? Here's the list of writers:

Chris Claremont - Dark Phoenix Saga

Grant Morrison - New X-Men

Joss Whedon - Astonishing X-Men (1st run)

Warren Ellis - Astonishing X-Men (2nd run)

Matt Fraction - Uncanny X-Men

Chuck Austen - Uncanny X-Men

Craig Kyle and Chris Yost - X-Force

Kieron Gillen - Uncanny X-Men

Peter David

Rick Remender - Uncanny X-Force

Jason Aaron - Wolverine and the X-Men

Mark Millar - Ultimate X-Men (1st run)

Brian Michael Bendis - Ultimate X-Men (2nd run)

Scott Lobdell - Onslaught Saga

Ed Brubaker - Deadly Genesis

Victor Gischler - Curse of the Mutants

Mike Carey - X-Men: Legacy

Stan Lee - X-Men

#2 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite writers are Chris Claremont because I loved his Dark Phoenix Saga story, Joss Whedon's run on "Astonishing X-Men," and Mark Millar's run on "Ultimate X-Men."

#3 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

None of them. I love many of the X-men characters, and I've enjoyed their adventures in comics other than their own and in TV shows. However, in my experience (and I've read a lot of X-Men comics), X-Men comics do nothing other than periodically ruin the characters, confuse me with (really) weird storylines, and generally make me depressed.

#4 Posted by Boogiepop (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle and Yost's run on X-Force was my favorite X-Men comics.

@-Vigil- I don't get how you can say "none of them" though. Some of them never ruined anyone, or did anything depressing. And aren't all comic stories kinda weird lol. Just say "Stan Lee" if you don't like the rest lol.

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@-Vigil- said:

None of them. I love many of the X-men characters, and I've enjoyed their adventures in comics other than their own and in TV shows. However, in my experience (and I've read a lot of X-Men comics), X-Men comics do nothing other than periodically ruin the characters, confuse me with (really) weird storylines, and generally make me depressed.

I agree that there were times where I just stopped reading X-Men comics because the stories got so frustrating and the characters changed for no good reason. I especially didn't like the way that the writers had changed Cyclops' personality so much over the years.

#6 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Boogiepop said:

Kyle and Yost's run on X-Force was my favorite X-Men comics.

@-Vigil- I don't get how you can say "none of them" though. Some of them never ruined anyone, or did anything depressing. And aren't all comic stories kinda weird lol. Just say "Stan Lee" if you don't like the rest lol.

Well, I haven't read them all. I just mean none of the stuff I've read. I love many of the writers listed, particularly Ed Brubaker and Peter David, I just haven't really enjoyed many X-Men comics aside from the occasional few-issue stretch and maybe "God Loves, Man Kills". As for Stan Lee, sure he's a visionary and I love him, but his actual writing doesn't really hold up to today's standards, I think. Don't shoot me. :)

#7 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@-Vigil- said:

I agree that there were times where I just stopped reading X-Men comics because the stories got so frustrating and the characters changed for no good reason. I especially didn't like the way that the writers had changed Cyclops' personality so much over the years.

Yeah, exactly. I haven't given up on the X-Men comics altogether, I'm just taking a break.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@-Vigil- said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@-Vigil- said:

Yeah, exactly. I haven't given up on the X-Men comics altogether, I'm just taking a break.

I basically stick with Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X Men and Chris Claremont's earlier run of X-Men, but I would occasionally read a new X-Men comic if it holds my interest.

#9 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an easy one, for first place Its a tie between Remender and Whedon. These two runs are not just two of the best x-men runs, but two of the best comic runs of all time. Behind them I would say Morrison, Yost on x-force, and Careys early stuff on legacy, the new stuff not so much.

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@Boogiepop Great taste!
#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pbott said:

This is an easy one, for first place Its a tie between Remender and Whedon. These two runs are not just two of the best x-men runs, but two of the best comic runs of all time. Behind them I would say Morrison, Yost on x-force, and Careys early stuff on legacy, the new stuff not so much.

Yeah! Whedon's work on Astonishing X-Men was a classic!

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio

Give me the classics anyday

Chris Claremont solo or with Jim Lee

Stan Lee 

Joss Whedons run was the most memorable one out of the past 15 years

#13 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Give me the classics anyday Chris Claremont solo or with Jim Lee Stan Lee Joss Whedons run was the most memorable one out of the past 15 years

I agree about Joss Whedon's run being the best run of X-Men for the past 15 years or so.

#15 Posted by Girth (1039 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Craig Kyle and Chris Yost
  • Rick Remender

X-force is the best x book.

#16 Posted by madrid_san (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

I love x force and uncanny x force. It's early to say mayhap but I'm liking both kieron Gillen's uncanny run and Jason aaron's watxm run.

#17 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont and Lee.

#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand all the love that Remender's X-Force gets. It's a really good read, but it's not on par with Whedon or Morrison's runs and it's not on par with the Kyle/Yost run of X-Force.

I feel like people measure it not by a general consensus of what good writing is, but by matching it up against the other X-Books, which for the most part, aren't exactly the best measuring stick.

#19 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

-Morrison  

-Whedon 
-David 

-Kyle/Yost

-Everyone else

#20 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Claremont.
Whedon.
David.
Morrison.
#21 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont.

Morrison.

Christina Weir + Nunzio Defillipis.

Ellis.

Lobdell.

#22 Posted by chalkshark (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont. He wrote the blue print on all of these characters, & therefore, understood them better than anyone who's come along after him. Decades later, when you're asked about the all time greatest X-Men stories, it always goes back to 'The Dark Phoenix Saga"  & "The Days of Future Past' two parter. I'd argue that there hasn't been a truly memorable X-Man added to the cast since Claremont left. 

After Claremont, I'd go with Morrison. He mad the book his own, which is really what needed to happen. Too many writers have just tried to do their version of Claremont's X-Men, & in my opinion, have largely failed. Morrison's X-Men were pretty far afield from Claremont's, & thus, it was easier to judge those stories on their own merits, rather than constantly compare & contrast them with Claremont's run.  

I'm a huge Brubaker fan, but his Deadly Genesis mini-series was too much set-up, & not enough actual story. All that series accomplished was the introduction of Vulcan, the pointless death of Banshee, & giving us one more reason to regard Xavier as a douchebag. The latter we really didn't need, since we already had plenty. 

#23 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

I don't understand all the love that Remender's X-Force gets. It's a really good read, but it's not on par with Whedon or Morrison's runs and it's not on par with the Kyle/Yost run of X-Force.

I feel like people measure it not by a general consensus of what good writing is, but by matching it up against the other X-Books, which for the most part, aren't exactly the best measuring stick.

All those runs you mentioned are great, but they are not perfect, maybe except Whedons. Name something wrong with Remenders writing, there is none I have read about all his stuff: Fear agent, last days of American crime, Sea of red, Punisher, Venom, and UXF is the best. His development of characters in a team book are the best being done in comics today. Each issue is intense and moves along the story, and he always has a greater story he is working towards, much like if not than better than Hickman and to top it off he adds a good dose of humor to a very dark book by marvel standards. Rick Remender is by far telling the best storys right now at marvel. Not that everyone else is bad, its just that they are not perfect, and when i say perfect i am not saying that i would not rather see different stuff, I am saying that when I put down one of his books i have absolutely no complaints, and the only other writer in comics today that i can say the same for is Scott Snyder with his work on American Vampire, Batman, and Swamp thing.

#24 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pbott:One thing i see wrong with Remender is the fact that he doesn't know too much about AoA characters.

#25 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

Claremont. He wrote the blue print on all of these characters, & therefore, understood them better than anyone who's come along after him. Decades later, when you're asked about the all time greatest X-Men stories, it always goes back to 'The Dark Phoenix Saga" & "The Days of Future Past' two parter. I'd argue that there hasn't been a truly memorable X-Man added to the cast since Claremont left. After Claremont, I'd go with Morrison. He mad the book his own, which is really what needed to happen. Too many writers have just tried to do their version of Claremont's X-Men, & in my opinion, have largely failed. Morrison's X-Men were pretty far afield from Claremont's, & thus, it was easier to judge those stories on their own merits, rather than constantly compare & contrast them with Claremont's run. I'm a huge Brubaker fan, but his Deadly Genesis mini-series was too much set-up, & not enough actual story. All that series accomplished was the introduction of Vulcan, the pointless death of Banshee, & giving us one more reason to regard Xavier as a douchebag. The latter we really didn't need, since we already had plenty.

I agree that Chris Claremont's Dark Phoenix Saga was probably one of the best stories he has ever done!

#26 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Who do you think were the best writers for the X-Men? Here's the list of writers:

Peter David

Stan Lee - X-Men

Morrison, Carey, Kyle and Yost, David, Lobdell, Remender and Whedon only.

Bendis and Millar are okay, to be fair.

#27 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Peter David

Stan Lee - X-Men

Morrison, Carey, Kyle and Yost, David, Lobdell, Remender and Whedon only.

Bendis and Millar are okay, to be fair.

Yeah, I really liked Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men, but I wasn't too fond of Bendis' run on Ultimate X-Men.

#28 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: One I have listened to several interviews and its not that he does not know about AoA, its that he wants to take something old and make it new. He took the whole Angel being a former horseman and gave it so much more depth, I hate what is probability going to happen to Angel, but I dont really care because he has made Angel and the rest of the UXF roster so much more interesting than they have ever been, most all other runs feel like there is a story and the x-men are just there to push the story, but with Remender it is the characters first which then drives the stoys, which in turn makes the story endlessly more interesting.

#29 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pbott:What exactly was old that he decided to make new ? because all i saw was foolishness.

#30 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: The whole concept of being Apocalypse, I can tell a huge difference between Arcangel and Apocalypse, Remender has made Archangel/Apocalypse a character with so much depth that also goes for the new 4 horseman and the AoA characters. If you think that it is foolishness than I guess that is just your opinion, what makes these versions of AoA characters any more foolish than the previous versions or any other Marvel character for that matter? All i know is that with his writing everything serves a purpose and every character he writes feel unique and interesting. Of course you or even I wont like how ever character is portrayed, that is impossible, only if we wrote the books ourselves would every character feel perfect. I dont like how he writes everyone but everyone he writes is done well if not perfectly.

#31 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pbott: I don't care about what Remender did to Archangel, that's not exactly a main concern for me. Killing off Kirika, killing off other important AoA X-Men for goodness knows what reason and then fusing some of the remaining ones with idiotic villians aswell as loosing Rogue's sense of leadership is what i just don't get, in fact my main problem is that he killed so many characters off without a good enough explanation other than 'it happened', they're loose ends that trouble me.

#32 Posted by stambo42 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Claremont For me his late 80s era defines the X-men

Grant Morrison Loved his run, made it about the school, and more relate-able real world issues rather than super heroics. I also really dug his banter between characters, and what he did for Emma. Hated what he did to Magneto at the end there, even if it was ret-conned... he meant it, and it shows a profound misunderstanding and abuse of the character. I don't let that one story ruin a great run for me though.

Rick Remender I've only read a bit of his X-Force, but I loved it. I think his Fantomex is a little two forward, right from the outset regarding Betsy, but otherwise, great.

Scott Lobdell I'm not sure how much I actually love his writing or whether it's just a nostalgia for the mid and late 90s. Uneven, but fun. Always fun.

Mike Carey I really liked the Supernovas TP and Messiah Complex... I don't know how much credit he is really owed for this, and how it compares to the rest of his work, but I dug these deeply. i guess I see him as uneven with some really awesome highlights... that are at least in part really dependent on the artist he's working with.

#33 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss <3 Morrison and Chris.

#34 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

Claremont. He wrote the blue print on all of these characters, & therefore, understood them better than anyone who's come along after him. Decades later, when you're asked about the all time greatest X-Men stories, it always goes back to 'The Dark Phoenix Saga" & "The Days of Future Past' two parter. I'd argue that there hasn't been a truly memorable X-Man added to the cast since Claremont left. After Claremont, I'd go with Morrison. He mad the book his own, which is really what needed to happen. Too many writers have just tried to do their version of Claremont's X-Men, & in my opinion, have largely failed. Morrison's X-Men were pretty far afield from Claremont's, & thus, it was easier to judge those stories on their own merits, rather than constantly compare & contrast them with Claremont's run. I'm a huge Brubaker fan, but his Deadly Genesis mini-series was too much set-up, & not enough actual story. All that series accomplished was the introduction of Vulcan, the pointless death of Banshee, & giving us one more reason to regard Xavier as a douchebag. The latter we really didn't need, since we already had plenty.

I agree that the writers after Claremont should just write their own stories instead of trying to follow up what Claremont was doing, although Claremont's work shouldn't be ignored.

#35 Posted by chalkshark (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont absolutely shouldn't be ignored, especially in regards to the character's themselves, but his shouldn't be the only well that writer's are plumbing. One of the things I liked about the aftermath to House of M was that it forced a paradigm shift on the X-Men titles, & compelled writers to take the X-Men in a new direction. While I don't agree with every decision  that's been made since, nor do I appreciate every story, it at least broke the stranglehold Claremont's legacy had on the X-Men, & allowed for some new voices to be heard on the book. It's just unfortunate that those new voices only seem to want to speak through Cyclops, Wolverine, or The White Queen. Too many great characters, in my opinion, have been relegated to the sidelines for a long time, & thus have seen little to no character growth in the past decade. Claremont's biggest strength was in character building, & that's the part of his legacy I'd most like to see current, & future, writers building upon.

#36 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

Claremont absolutely shouldn't be ignored, especially in regards to the character's themselves, but his shouldn't be the only well that writer's are plumbing. One of the things I liked about the aftermath to House of M was that it forced a paradigm shift on the X-Men titles, & compelled writers to take the X-Men in a new direction. While I don't agree with every decision that's been made since, nor do I appreciate every story, it at least broke the stranglehold Claremont's legacy had on the X-Men, & allowed for some new voices to be heard on the book. It's just unfortunate that those new voices only seem to want to speak through Cyclops, Wolverine, or The White Queen. Too many great characters, in my opinion, have been relegated to the sidelines for a long time, & thus have seen little to no character growth in the past decade. Claremont's biggest strength was in character building, & that's the part of his legacy I'd most like to see current, & future, writers building upon.

Well said, well said!!! I agree that the concept of House of M was really interesting and I wanted to see more about how the mutants who lost their powers had to deal with this issue. Unfortunately, after House of M, so many great ideas were thrown out the window such as focusing more on the mutants who lost their powers and Scarlett Witch's attempts at redeeming herself. Every time I was reading the current X-Men, all they focused on was Scott, Emma and Wolverine and I was wondering to myself about what happened to characters like Iceman, Beast, Colossus and Kitty. I think the House of M storyline could have been the greatest X-Men storyline ever if only the events after wards had focused more on all of the X-Men characters instead of just Wolverine, Scott and Emma.

#37 Posted by Optic Rage (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Claremont hands down. And it's pretty obvious why. It starts with the fact it was a 17 year run, but everything you know about the X-Men came from him. And newer writers are STILL recycling his stories. I don't consider anything he did after leaving the book in 1991 a part of this legendary run though, because he's now completely insane.

I'll give Peter David props for his X-Factor runs too though.

The absolute worst was Grant Morrison.

#38 Posted by Dman1366 (528 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont

Alan Davis - Excalibur is my favorite x book

Morrison

Whedon

Jason Aaron

DeFilippis

in that order

#39 Edited by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont - For his early 80s - 90s X-men development and New Mutant work. I loved the X-Men's seperated days, introduced Gambit, redefined Psylocke, gave definition to all chars on the team. Early 80s had loads of memorable events, and then the oh-so-confusing Inferno came in.

Whedon and Rememder - Brilliant story writers. Emma Frost turning Wolvie into a little b!tch scared cat was the most brilliant thing since slice bread. Also adding humour like Colossus planning to destroy worlds for years. priceless. UXF, the emotional roller coaster has everything; humour, philosophy, ethics, romance. you name it

Peter David - X-Factor is fun. No overly complicated plots, No ties to the rest of the X-Universe. No complicated mojo (except for the time travel bit). X-Factor greatly recycles characters from the past. M, Rictor, Shatterstar, Longshot would not be remembered if its not for this guy.

Peter Milligan - X-Statix, who can argue?

GMorrison had great story telling, but art was ughh. First arc and middle to end was great though, and developped the X-Men from soldiers to teachers was pretty solid IMO.

Chuck Austen and Matt Fraction - lol jokes

#40 Posted by pwnda (59 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Claremont w/ Lee

2. Claremont Dark Phoenix

3. Whedon Astonishing Xmen

4. Remender Uncanny Xforce

I wish they put Hickman on Xmen instead of Bendis for Marvel Now

#41 Posted by snikt_0 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

-Claremont

-Whedon

-Remender

-Morrison

#42 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio
@tomchu said:

Claremont - For his early 80s - 90s X-men development and New Mutant work. I loved the X-Men's seperated days, introduced Gambit, redefined Psylocke, gave definition to all chars on the team. Early 80s had loads of memorable events, and then the oh-so-confusing Inferno came in.

Whedon and Rememder - Brilliant story writers. Emma Frost turning Wolvie into a little b!tch scared cat was the most brilliant thing since slice bread. Also adding humour like Colossus planning to destroy worlds for years. priceless. UXF, the emotional roller coaster has everything; humour, philosophy, ethics, romance. you name it

Peter David - X-Factor is fun. No overly complicated plots, No ties to the rest of the X-Universe. No complicated mojo (except for the time travel bit). X-Factor greatly recycles characters from the past. M, Rictor, Shatterstar, Longshot would not be remembered if its not for this guy.

Peter Milligan - X-Statix, who can argue?

GMorrison had great story telling, but art was ughh. First arc and middle to end was great though, and developped the X-Men from soldiers to teachers was pretty solid IMO.

Chuck Austen and Matt Fraction - lol jokes

I loved Colossus' joke in Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men! That was truly a defining moment for Colossus!
#43 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon

Morrison,

Gillen

Ellis

#44 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark

MILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 Posted by superskrull1985 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Phoenix Saga, easy! Probably the best Marvel story ever told. I'm a die hard 1990's X-men fan too (Onslaught, AoA, Fatal Attractions, X-Force, etc). Claremont's story is mythic, structured, suspenseful, action packed, different, basically everything you want in a good story and the art of John Byrne is one of my all time favorites. The story arc "X-men: Proteus" right before Dark Phoenix is equally as Good (also featuring Claremont and Byrne and contains a lot of set up for Dark Phoenix).

#46 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Rick Remender was gorgeous. 

All the homo'.

#47 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio
@superskrull1985 said:

Dark Phoenix Saga, easy! Probably the best Marvel story ever told. I'm a die hard 1990's X-men fan too (Onslaught, AoA, Fatal Attractions, X-Force, etc). Claremont's story is mythic, structured, suspenseful, action packed, different, basically everything you want in a good story and the art of John Byrne is one of my all time favorites. The story arc "X-men: Proteus" right before Dark Phoenix is equally as Good (also featuring Claremont and Byrne and contains a lot of set up for Dark Phoenix).

I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga too!! One of my most favorite stories from X-Men!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.