Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Best X-Men Book for a Fan of the Movies?

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm trying to find a Christmas present for my friend, who is just entering the magical world of comics. She really likes the X-Men movies, so I figured I would get her a trade paperback. Thing is, I'm not too well-read when it comes to the X-Men, having only read the first volume of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. I'm thinking something relatively modern that would require little to no previous knowledge of their mythos. She's also a big fan of Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye, if that helps.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well if she's a fan of Xmen 2.. I'd say get God Loves Man Kills. Some of the other movies seem to pull a little from the Ultimate line so thats a little more difficult

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EC2277

@hawk2916: I agree, "God loves, man kills" isn't only a great graphic novel (maybe the greatest x-novel), but it is also perfectly understandable by all. Also by who haven't never read a story of the X-Men.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Onemoreposter

@numbuh1nerd: No. Don't listen to them. Thematically GLMK ties in vvith the X-Men cinematic universe. She's a casual enthusiast though, and I'd bet money that story is too old and slovv paced to hold her attention.

Ultimate X-Men. The original run. That's vvhat you vvant.

Also, Grant Morrisons run on X-Men. Much of the original X-Men movie trilogy borrovved from that.

Lastly, Old Man Logan. The art is great and just.....yeah....lots of fun.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EC2277

Morrison?

The thematics of his run are totally different by the movie and Morrison wrote the X-Men since 2001, while the first movie is dates back to 2000. The second movie is inspired by "God loves, man kills" and the third by the Dark Phoenix saga.

There are some similarities between the second movie and "Germ free generation", but also these three stories are inspired by "Good loves, man kills".

Obviously I don't say Morrison isn't a good gift.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Uncanny X-Men Vol 1, Days of Future Past or Wolverine goes to Japan,

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm trying to find a Christmas present for my friend, who is just entering the magical world of comics. She really likes the X-Men movies, so I figured I would get her a trade paperback. Thing is, I'm not too well-read when it comes to the X-Men, having only read the first volume of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. I'm thinking something relatively modern that would require little to no previous knowledge of their mythos. She's also a big fan of Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye, if that helps.

I think Whedon's run is great for beginners. I've had a lot of people tell me that's the first X-men comic they read, and they generally become fans.

There's relatively few X-men comics I haven't read, and I still consider all four volumes of Whedon's run among my favorites.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I dont know. Books are better than Movies in terms of stories and characthers.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking all of this and my (very) limited budget into consideration, I'm considering just getting Wolverine and the X-Men on DVD instead. That would be a bit more time consuming, though. I'm not sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.