Best writer/character combinations

#1 Edited by jhole (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, so basically I think a lot of x-men have been written out of character in recent years, and I'm interested to see who people think done the best characterisation of certain characters in the last 7 years (since house of M). Note, this is not which writers wrote the best book or which writers gave the best stories, but which writers characterised key x-characters closest to what you consider to be the true character at the time of writing. The writers can be from any books (solo's or team, even non x-books as long as that character was featured), however let's stick to the regular 616 universe.

#2 Posted by jhole (48 posts) - - Show Bio
I'll go first::
  • Cyclops - Kieron Gillen (He wrote Cyclops as a strategic leader and protector pushed to make the hard choices). 
  • Wolverine - Rick Remender (He actually makes Wolverines role as a leader believable and does not seemed forced, yet still retains the lethal aspects that made him popular originally). 
  • Emma Frost - Craig Kyle and Chris Yost (Although only a secondary character to the students, when she did appear she was well written as a caring teacher but still with her selfish mean streak shown in classic GenX). 
  • Rogue - Mike Carey (While I'm not a fan of rogneto which Carey started at the end of his Legacy run, his original run on x-men and x-men legacy showed a strong rogue who easily slipped into a leadership position). 
  • Gambit - James Asmus (The whole gambit as a teacher never particularly resonated with me, in a few issues Asmus has demonstrated a carefree thief who is a bit rusty after all these years out).
Right so the idea is whoever comments next can agree or disagree with my combinations (if disagree then propose an alternative), or just chose any x-character at random. I chose those 5 to get us started but feel free to do more/less or even just a single mutant.
#3 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7355 posts) - - Show Bio

Rick Remender's whole XForce

#4 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm- Kim, Yost, Wood

Gambit- Kim

Colossus- Wood, Gillen

Shadow Cat- Aaron does ok, but Whedon owned her character

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty Pryde - Joss Whedon. He just did a fantastic job on her character and actually made her a stand out character in "Astonishing X-Men."

Colossus - Joss Whedon. He did a great job with his character by making him gentle and yet is able to take down any opponent in his wake.

#6 Edited by Veitha (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty Pryde: Joss Whedon. Whedon made me love Kitty, he changed Kitty in an adult, clever and badass female.

Emma Frost: Whedon/Morrison. They both understood how to use Emma and how to develop her. She was egocentric and dodge but with a soul deep and jagged. She was the White Queen.

Psylocke: Remender. He made a wonderful job with Betsy. Her relationship with Warren and Fantomex was developed in the best way he could.

Cyclops: Gillen. Gillen has made Cyclops a very badass character. He changed him into the "X-Men's Captain America", through this was already started by Whedon, but he made him the ultimate leader of the X-Men.

Beast: Morrison. The whole feline stuff and the way he was involved in it was perfect. He wasn't just a biologist, he was nice, he was an hippie - making him tell he was gay was a genial idea. And his relationship with Emma was really good.

Rogue: Mike Carey. He has redefined the character and created the modern Rogue, the Rogue I think everyone likes.

Jean Grey: Morrison. Morrison's Jean was the only version of her that I like, he did a great job with her.

Madrox: Peter David. David made a funny and deep character(like he did for the entire cast of X-Factor). He is a leader but he's not like Cap or Scott, he's not a tactical and he can't even manage his teamates, he's unsuitable for his role and coz of this he's one of the most refreshing characters ever.

#7 Posted by jhole (48 posts) - - Show Bio

: Although I agree with all of those choices, morrison was before House of M. I wanted to look at writer/character combinations after House of M as this is imo when a lot of characters started to become poorly written.

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (7283 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool - Rick Remender, I feel Marvel kinda let Daniel Way neuter him and make him a clown. Remender reminds us why he is a threat and actually has some depth.

Cyclops - Joss Whedon, I hated Scott my whole youth. After Whedon's first issue of Astonishing I had a new understanding and respect for the character, which quickly turned to love.

#9 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops - Whedon and Gillen. COMBO!

Fantomex - Morrison created the guy, but I really liked what Remender did with him.

Iceman - Mike Carey. Seems to be one of the few guys who's actually done something good with him in recent memory. Aaron's doing a reasonable job at the moment, however.

Magneto - Claremont.

Hellion - Kyle/Yost.

Emma Frost - Morrison/Whedon.

Beast - Morrison.

Deadpool - Remender.

Kitty Pryde - Whedon.

Madrox - Peter David. Straight down.

Magik - Gillen.

#10 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhole said:

• Rogue - Mike Carey (While I'm not a fan of rogneto which Carey started at the end of his Legacy run, his original run on x-men and x-men legacy showed a strong rogue who easily slipped into a leadership position).

Really disagree with this point. I'd say Carey's Rogue wasn't especially strong, nor did she "easily slip into a leadership position". She lead an entirely dysfunctional team who almost failed every mission they were sent on and she ended up in a coma (after being infected with a virus and absorbing the minds of an entire race of aliens.) She was also betrayed by half the members of this dysfunctional team and ended up relying on Iceman and Cannonball to save the day (the former of which was poisoned, the later of which was brain-damaged and ended up in intensive care).

After Messiah Complex she was just a bore, really. That whole Australia/Shi'ar phase was terrible too.

#11 Posted by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops: Gillen. Whedon held this position for quite a while, but Gillen's work with the character is awesome.

Colossus: Whedon. He brought him back from the grave and made him popular once again. Wood and Gillen get a nod. They actually explore his introspective side unlike so many others.

Kitty Pryde: Warren Ellis. I think people forget that Kitty Pryde was awesome on his Excalibur run...and he didn't kill her off. How dare you, Whedon!

Emma Frost: Whedon. My first experience with this character came through Astonishing. I was not disappointed.

Wolverine: Remender. It's the only title where I can seemingly put up with the guy.

Iceman: I thought long about this one, but I can't think of a writer that made me enjoy this character. They tried to give him a sense of humor like Spiderman, some came along to try to make him the romantic lead for Polaris, Mystique or Rogue, others made him an Omega and now they're pushing the whole teacher/Kitty thing. None of it really works for me.

Dr. Nemesis: Matt Fraction. Had to give the guy some credit, lol. Dr. Nemesis was always entertaining.

#12 Posted by Veitha (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhole said:

: Although I agree with all of those choices, morrison was before House of M. I wanted to look at writer/character combinations after House of M as this is imo when a lot of characters started to become poorly written.

Sorry, I didn't read the OP! I'm gonna write a new post soon :D

#13 Posted by poisonfleur (3067 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Storm- Kim, Yost, Wood

Gambit- Kim

Colossus- Wood, Gillen

Bingo^ on the money for all 4!

#15 Posted by time (5070 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty Pryde: Joss Whedon and Chris Claremont.

Emma Frost : Morrison was Emma Frost Best writer. Although Whedon portray her character really well, I think Morrison did a better job with her. I like her a lot back then.

Psylocke : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont will always be Psylocke best writers and Chris Claremont did great job in the 80's and early 90's. Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell did amazing job with Psylocke in the early 90's. From 1991 to 1995, she was one of the best X-Men characters ever and she still is.

Cyclops : Anyone esle than Morrison and Matt Fraction. If I had to choose his best writers, they were Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Chris Claremont and Whedon.

Beast: Chris Claremont, Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell

Wolverine : Chris Claremont, Rick Remender, Peter David, Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell. Craig Kyle and Chris Yost.

Rogue : Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont are Rogue best writers ever. In the 90's she was amazing and who can forget her role in Age of Apocalypse story arc. Mikey Carey was a good writer but, some of the things he did with Rogue, I didn't like.

Colossus : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Chris Claremont and Whedon

Magneto : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell.

X-23 : Craig Kyle and Chris Yost

Domino : Craig Kyle, Chris Yost and "Rob" Liefeld

Cable : "Rob" Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza, and Scott Lobdell

Deadpool : "Rob" Liefeld is Deadpool best writer. He was cool and dangerous and not so stupid.

Jean Grey : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont.

Storm : Chris Claremont and Scott Lobdell

Jubilee : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont.

Gambit : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont.

Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell are two of X-Men bests writers of all time and people don't give them a enough credit. There much better than Morrison, Whedon, Rick Remender and Gillen. Miles ahead of them in every way.

#16 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Cyclops - Whedon and Gillen. COMBO!

Fantomex - Morrison created the guy, but I really liked what Remender did with him.

Iceman - Mike Carey. Seems to be one of the few guys who's actually done something good with him in recent memory. Aaron's doing a reasonable job at the moment, however.

Magneto - Claremont.

Hellion - Kyle/Yost.

Emma Frost - Morrison/Whedon.

Beast - Morrison.

Deadpool - Remender.

Kitty Pryde - Whedon.

Madrox - Peter David. Straight down.

Magik - Gillen.

Great list right there.

#17 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

Emma Frost : Morrison was Emma Frost Best writer. Although Whedon portray her character really well, I think Morrison did a better job with her. I like her a lot back then.

Psylocke : Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont will always be Psylocke best writers and Chris Claremont did great job in the 80's and early 90's. Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell did amazing job with Psylocke in the early 90's. From 1991 to 1995, she was one of the best X-Men characters ever and she still is.

Cyclops : Anyone esle than Morrison and Matt Fraction. If I had to choose his best writers, they were Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Chris Claremont and Whedon.

Wolverine : Chris Claremont, Rick Remender, Peter David, Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell. Craig Kyle and Chris Yost.

Rogue : Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell and Chris Claremont are Rogue best writers ever. In the 90's she was amazing and who can forget her role in Age of Apocalypse story arc. Mikey Carey was a good writer but, some of the things he did with Rogue, I didn't like.

Deadpool : "Rob" Liefeld is Deadpool best writer. He was cool and dangerous and not so stupid.

Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell are two of X-Men bests writers of all time and people don't give them a enough credit. There much better than Morrison, Whedon, Rick Remender and Gillen. Miles ahead of them in every way.

Agree with all this!!!

#18 Posted by Roguegirl24 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@time said:

Agree with all this!!!

Agreed with this as well...Chris Claremont knows his characters, not Mike Carey, Gage or Asmus

#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roguegirl24 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@time said:

Agree with all this!!!

Agreed with this as well...Chris Claremont knows his characters, not Mike Carey, Gage or Asmus

I agree! I think Chris Claremont treated all the characters with respect.
#20 Posted by MrShway88 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine by Loeb

I'm just kidding. I thought you people could use a laugh

#21 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10649 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Storm- Kim, Yost, Wood

Gambit- Kim

Colossus- Wood, Gillen

Agreed. And I'm adding Claremont for Storm & Kitty and Ellis for Storm again.

#22 Edited by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine- Chris Claremont, Larry Hama, Frank Tieri, Mark Millar, and Rick Remender (I'd include Joss Whedon, but he was more of a secondary character during that run, though Whedon used him very well in that capacity)

Kitty Pryde- Joss Whedon (Chris Claremont and Nick Spencer are tied for a close second, Spencer's run on the character being the current Ultimate X-Men run)

Cyclops- Joss Whedon

Emma Frost- Joss Whedon

Colossus- Chris Claremont and Joss Whedon

Beast- Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon

Nightcrawler- Chris Claremont and Rick Remender (AoA version in Uncanny X-Force)

Storm- Chris Claremont, Mark Millar (in Ultimate universe)

Jean Grey- Chris Claremont, Mark Millar (Ultimate universe), Grant Morrison

#23 Posted by DurararaFTW (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Xavier - Claremont

Cyclops - Gillen

Jean Grey - Morrison

Beast - Morrison

Emma Frost - Morrison

Kitty Pryde - Whedon

Colossus - Whedon

Wolverine - Claremont

Madrox - David

Big Guy - David

Quicksilver - David

Hellion - Kyle/Yost

Magik - Gillen

Magneto - Claremont

X-23 - Kyle/Yost

Jubilee - Marjorie

Havok - Kyle/Yost

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.