Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

bendis still wants u to believe

• 58 results
    Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

that the o5 teens are from 616 on his tumblr page http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/page/2

If I'm right, I don't expect this to be addressed because of spoilers concerns, but I'm expecting adult Bobby to be very confused by O5 Bobby being gay, as in adult Bobby isn't gay. I still don't believe the O5 X-Men are from the main 616 universe. I believe they're from a very similar universe and their reality was destroyed by an incursion - this being why they can't return to their time. I guess my question is... am I wrong?

you are wrong:

)

see uncanny 600, coming soon!

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Bendis just wanted a gay character, and chose the one with the worst relationship history.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also on bendis tumblr page he has the cover of uncanny x-men 125 the dramatic return of the phoenix, hmmmm

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bendis already made Kitty a type of Phoenix. A blue Phoenix.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

lol yeah he did.....eh kitty needed a boost to join the gotg

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lateralus

I think Kitty and Illyana need a duo title together. Just a random off topic thought

Anyway back on topic, I think the fact that the adult X-Men haven't changed in response to the O5 is because they eventually go back to their time and get a mind wipe.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Kitty and Illyana need a duo title together. Just a random off topic thought

Anyway back on topic, I think the fact that the adult X-Men haven't changed in response to the O5 is because they eventually go back to their time and get a mind wipe.

thats what i think too

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ms-lola said:

Say What? How and When?

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

I think Bendis just wanted a gay character, and chose the one with the worst relationship history.

Didn't he already make Morph Deeds gay?

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EC2277
    @tyger said:

I think Bendis […] chose the one with the worst relationship history.

Yes, he didn't choose the character with a gay relationship (Beast and Beak), but the most immature.

In the same way he didn't choose the character who really tried to start a relationship with Jean (Warren), in order to start a fake triangle with Scott and Jean, but he choose the first character that tried to kiss her and he revealed that Jean is the true love of Beast.

Wanderful!

No Caption Provided

Thank you Bendis, good job.

Maybe you have a different sensibility, but for me this "little things" are able to spoil a story worse than a bad script, because the attention to detail give me the perception to how much a writer puts effort into write a good story.

@ms-lola said:

No Caption Provided

Yes, now she is another cosmic character, like also Warren and Gamora and this explain why in the title "Starlord and Kitty Pride" there's "Age of Apocalypse" Kitty instead 616 Kitty. In my opinion 616 might become that new character of A-force: Singularity. Really I can't wait to read that title.

@lateralus said:

Yes, but not in Uncanny X-Men 600: if Alonso said that there isn't room for Jean, because they have too much project on the table for Teen Jean, it means that they will play a great role in Secret Wars.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he just wanted a Gay character, I think it had more to do with accomplishing something before the end of his run. This last issue reads like someone making fun of All New X-Men with the way he "addresses" things like- Jean's over exposure, Warren having to explain everything he's felt and done off panel with regards to Archangel, Everything Tyke-clops.

Seems to me that had his run ended without this issue, people would've come back to it in 5 years and said "Nothing happened, and only Jean did something" now it's turned into "Iceman came out, Jean did alot, Warren had a struggle".

It was really forced considering how much he put into the characters stories this issue compared to every other issue...but the same thing happened in Uncanny and I praised that issue so maybe i'm just tired of this "All New X-Men" concept after everything it's put me through.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Don't worry, we can forget about Bendis' and his X-Men run while we forget about the X-Men in general once they become Inhumans after Secret Wars.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EC2277

@koays:

No Caption Provided

In my opinion he didn't wants write the story of a character who found that he is gay. He made a character gay, because his run is inconclusive, but in this way it seems it happened something: Bobby is gay, Warren is cosmic and Jean was the star of the show.

The same thing it happened in Uncanny X-Men: nothing it happened, except of the break between Scott and Emma.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Funny how Cosmic Kitty can take on all this power put herself in harms way and its OK. Didn't she take issue with Colossus for the same thing? Once again the writing is a joke. And the bad thing is, I think Humphries did Black Vortex and I thinks its his introduction as the new flagship writer of Xmen. Really can't see things getting much better.

Yet another cosmically powered character. Yippee!!! Solo the Celestials powered Apocalypse and bow there's this magic mirror. That's really original. And he just had to shove GOTG down our throats.

Bensis is a complete joke. As was pointed out, he's done nothing during his while run in two books and now to try and salvage something and to be memorable he pulls all this dumb sh*t.

I simply can't wait for him to go away from the x-books. Please just go away already!!!

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Don't worry, we can forget about Bendis' and his X-Men run while we forget about the X-Men in general once they become Inhumans after Secret Wars.

I keep hearing people say that and it's confusing....and no i don't mean the Inhuman thing because thats more realistic then this crazy idea everyone has in their heads about Secret Wars ever ending.

They've got 3 phases to this thing and an entire event planned for after it's over....this thing will never end.

Secret Wars is the New Status Quo

@ec2277- Pretty much exactly that.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They tried that LONG before the antagonistic attitude developed between Fox and Marvel. Heroes Reborn didn't work out. Whatever else happened, it showed them that the X-Men were a fundamental part of Marvel's success.

The core team will very likely return to status quo after the event. As will Avengers, FF, and Spider-Man.

They WILL try to push Inhumans into a larger role, and push X-Men more to the sidelines, but how much they can do that will be determined by $$$$, not just editorial edict.

Avatar image for thebiggestx-fan
    TheBiggestX-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it and reading some of the comments: a lot of you are right...

He turned Iceman gay because he wanted to accomplish something at the end of his rub becuase we all know he did nothing...

HomoSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus said:

thats what i think too

Or maybe the changes won't take affect until the O5 are back to their original time, and time snaps into place.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: are u going to buy uxm 600???

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis can believe that all he wants, he can repeat it over and over again in a lullaby like mantra before he goes to sleep every night......it still doesn't make it true, not if you're following the actual 616 continuity. There are lots of experiences and relationships that the time-displaced-O5 have that did not exist in the regular continuity.

So, if Bendis wants you to truthfully believe that O5 are from 616, he should preface by saying "if you ignore continuity", which, a lot people do anyways.

As for his run having no substantial consequences, I disagree. He made Kitty into what she was always supposed to be: leader and teacher of the X-Men, something a lot of writers have largely ignored about her. Every step of that girls existence, whether it was running from a N'Garai, being brain washed into becoming a demon ninja, reality hopping and saving the multi-verse, not many characters have a childhood like that only to become an X-Men part timer, so, if anything, in the very least, I am grateful that Bendis did something with Kitty other than remind of us how great she was only to attempt kill her off like some other douchebag who I won't name (cough Whedon)

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis can believe that all he wants, he can repeat it over and over again in a lullaby like mantra before he goes to sleep every night......it still doesn't make it true, not if you're following the actual 616 continuity. There are lots of experiences and relationships that the time-displaced-O5 have that did not exist in the regular continuity.

So, if Bendis wants you to truthfully believe that O5 are from 616, he should preface by saying "if you ignore continuity", which, a lot people do anyways.

[…]

This is the most absurd thing of All New X-Men: Marvel thinks that they are really the original X-Men or Earth 616 and in order to prove us that, Bendis killed Young Cyclops in the Chapter 1 of Battle of Atom, showing us how that erase Old Cyclops form the existence.

In short this is what is becomed the continity in the Marvel Comics:

No Caption Provided

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this doesn't matter as long as it sells. As long as sales are high Bendis can do what ever he wants to who ever he wants, the editors won't stop him.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

No Caption Provided

Unfortunately, it's been like that a lot longer before Bendis came to the X-Men title.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus: ya but angel is beyond getting a simple mind wipe. The entire team has undergone drastic changes in one form or another

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EC2277
    @cattlebattle said:
    @ec2277 said:

No Caption Provided

Unfortunately, it's been like that a lot longer before Bendis came to the X-Men title.

That is my issue with the x-stories since 1996: ugly stories in the period form 1996 to 2001 and none respect for the continuity, logical lacks, poor respect for the job of the previous writers in the following period.

Really I miss the professionalism with which Thomas, Claremont, Lobdell and Nicieza did their job, taking care of the continuity, respecting the job of the others writer, developing coherently the characters. Even in the first issues of their run Thomas, Lobdell and Nicieza imitated the write style of the previous writer!

I miss that and I miss the editorial philosophy of Jim Shooter:

«While Marvel editor-in-chief in 1982, Shooter detailed what he considered the necessary qualities for a good comic book story:

The characters must be introduced.

Their situation must be established.

The conflict must be introduced.

Suspense must be built.

A climax must be reached.

A resolution must be achieved.

". . . When I evaluate a story, should one of the essential elements listed above be missing – say, the characters are not introduced properly when they are brought onstage – I immediately suspect that the author of the "story" knoweth not what he ith [sic] doing.

Second, I look for how well the story is told. Is the conflict worthwhile? Is the climax exciting? Is the resolution satisfying? Is the plot good? Are there interesting twists and turns? Is there a theme? Is there character development? Is it dramatic? Is it entertaining? This is the really important stuff. It should go without saying that a writer or a prospective writer should know enough to meet the fundamental requirements of a story. It's the power and the passion and drama and characterization that I really look for."»

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

That is my issue with the x-stories since 1996: ugly stories in the period form 1996 to 2001 and none respect for the continuity, logical lacks, poor respect for the job of the previous writers in the following period.

Really I miss the professionalism with which Thomas, Claremont, Lobdell and Nicieza did their job, taking care of the continuity, respecting the job of the others writer, developing coherently the characters. Even in the first issues of their run Thomas, Lobdell and Nicieza imitated the write style of the previous writer!

I miss that and I miss the editorial philosophy of Jim Shooter:

«While Marvel editor-in-chief in 1982, Shooter detailed what he considered the necessary qualities for a good comic book story:

The characters must be introduced.

Their situation must be established.

The conflict must be introduced.

Suspense must be built.

A climax must be reached.

A resolution must be achieved.

". . . When I evaluate a story, should one of the essential elements listed above be missing – say, the characters are not introduced properly when they are brought onstage – I immediately suspect that the author of the "story" knoweth not what he ith [sic] doing.

Second, I look for how well the story is told. Is the conflict worthwhile? Is the climax exciting? Is the resolution satisfying? Is the plot good? Are there interesting twists and turns? Is there a theme? Is there character development? Is it dramatic? Is it entertaining? This is the really important stuff. It should go without saying that a writer or a prospective writer should know enough to meet the fundamental requirements of a story. It's the power and the passion and drama and characterization that I really look for."»

I couldn't agree more. Jim Shooter was a monster of an editor, Marvels sales and storytelling were amazing and whenever it comes to Marvel, I often argue that the 1980s were the best time for every title and my favorite period of time at Marvel, because of connectivity and evolution, it felt like an actual, lived in, realistic world.

When it comes to writers, I honestly was never a huge fan of Nicieza. That guy seemed to think that making a story super convoluted = good storytelling. He is responsible for Cables contrived background, Psylockes "body swap" with Revanche nonsense, and some other X-Men story lines I am not too fond of, he also cribbed a lot of left over Claremont stories, though he wasn't able to deliver on Claremonts level, also, he was never actually allowed to reach his full potential as a writer because a lot of his time with X-Men was dictated by the successful cartoon, so he wasn't able to do whatever he wanted.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EC2277

@cattlebattle said:

[…]

When it comes to writers, I honestly was never a huge fan of Nicieza. That guy seemed to think that making a story super convoluted = good storytelling. He is responsible for Cables contrived background, Psylockes "body swap" with Revanche nonsense, and some other X-Men story lines I am not too fond of, he also cribbed a lot of left over Claremont stories, though he wasn't able to deliver on Claremonts level, also, he was never actually allowed to reach his full potential as a writer because a lot of his time with X-Men was dictated by the successful cartoon, so he wasn't able to do whatever he wanted.

Nicieza had a lot of issue with Harras, who changed a lot of plots of Nicieza (in primis the absurd story of Psylocke/Revance) and his style of writing wasn't right for the timing of the continuous crossover that he had to write. But you are right: often his stories was too convoluted and himself said that his work on Cable wasn't good like the work of the following writer.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still believe.

I still believe that Bendis' writing is trash.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenger85:

I think this is the first time that (almost) everybody agree with you.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even really care if the O5 are from 616 or not...I'll swallow that pill as long as good stories come from it. The idea had promise, it had a lot of promise...but all of it was squandered. This was a chance for the 05 to see how things end up, try to change it, and develop in new ways because of it.

Scott...stayed exactly the same throughout his time with the group and his space adventures and overall is just used for his built in drama with Jean.

Warren is the only one took a real actual step at changing his future....but it only happens at the end and he was basically ignored the entire run other than fooling around with laura

Hank gets used by jean and is then ignored the rest of the run

Bobby is used for comic relief one liners the entire run...and then gets outed by Jean last minute.

Jean...Jean was the main character pretty much. But she made a grand total of one attempt at changing her future, by trying to force something with Hank so she doesn't end up with Scott, but the second Scott leaves she starts missing him again. And the only real development she gets is abusing her powers. At first it was excusable, she had very little control over her TP and would enter peoples minds without realizing it. Now she has control though, and she is STILL all up in everyone's mind. Literally the first thing she does when she runs into Scott in space is go through everything he had been up to, then goes through it again at the end of Black Vortex, then is right into Bobby's head once they are back on earth. Apparently Xavier was right to limit her power, because she is clearly abusing to a severe degree.

They wanted to stay in the future to make it a better place overall...but the only attempts to change anything were from Jean and Warren, and that was only to fix their own personal futures, and one was forgotten about while the other was done at the last minute. Then there was either no real character growth, or if anything a character was made unlikable.

I still cant say I didn't enjoy the book, but I really like character moments and the series had a good amount of them. But enjoying something doesn't mean its good, and this was an overall terrible run. Nothing of significance has come from what should have been an EXTREMELY significant premise.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@ec2277:

You mean I haven't rustled any Jimmies with my post ?

Damn I must be getting rusty.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl said:

@ms-lola said:

Say What? How and When?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Kitty appears to be the "new" character Singularity in the upcoming A-Force title. She's been amped up quite a bit through the Black Vortex and single handedly resisted its corruptive force (Bendis' words, not mine).

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Thanks for showing me.

Well that's new, so did Bendis just want to get rid of Phoenix? Because from the scans you showed me Kitty basically looks like another Phoenix.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: lol apparently I don't know anything about the X-Men anymore

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366: You and me, both. I haven't been following Bendis' two X-Men books for a while now but this latest noise of Bobby being gay and Kitty becoming all powerful (and incorruptible) has me shaking my head.

@lxlgiftedlxl: I'd say so. Based on the solicits of the new A-Force, this Singularity character is shown predominately, whereas Jean Grey as Phoenix (green outfit) is just...there.

(sigh)

Bendis.

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Singularity is not Pryde.

JCG79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Singularity is not Pryde.

For sure not.

It was stated to be a sentient micro-universe or something like that.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:
    @tyger said:

I think Bendis […] chose the one with the worst relationship history.

Yes, he didn't choose the character with a gay relationship (Beast and Beak), but the most immature.

In the same way he didn't choose the character who really tried to start a relationship with Jean (Warren), in order to start a fake triangle with Scott and Jean, but he choose the first character that tried to kiss her and he revealed that Jean is the true love of Beast.

Wanderful!

No Caption Provided

Thank you Bendis, good job.

Maybe you have a different sensibility, but for me this "little things" are able to spoil a story worse than a bad script, because the attention to detail give me the perception to how much a writer puts effort into write a good story.

@ms-lola said:

No Caption Provided

Yes, now she is another cosmic character, like also Warren and Gamora and this explain why in the title "Starlord and Kitty Pride" there's "Age of Apocalypse" Kitty instead 616 Kitty. In my opinion 616 might become that new character of A-force: Singularity. Really I can't wait to read that title.

@lateralus said:

Yes, but not in Uncanny X-Men 600: if Alonso said that there isn't room for Jean, because they have too much project on the table for Teen Jean, it means that they will play a great role in Secret Wars.

Wait... Beast and Beak?

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine:

I remembered that Morrison turned Beast into a gay and he had an affair with Beak. I remembered badly?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

@john_valentine:

I remembered that Morrison turned Beast into a gay and he had an affair with Beak. I remembered badly?

Beast wasn't really gay. He said later on that he only said that to inspire greater tolerance. This was in issue 131, during Morrison's run, so it's not technically a retcon. I don't think he had an affair with Beak - Beak is a kid, and was dating Angel Salvadore (before she became another generic energy blaster on the New Warriors).

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EC2277
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

@john_valentine:

Beast wasn't really gay. He said later on that he only said that to inspire greater tolerance. This was in issue 131, during Morrison's run, so it's not technically a retcon. I don't think he had an affair with Beak - Beak is a kid, and was dating Angel Salvadore (before she became another generic energy blaster on the New Warriors).

Yeah, I remember he came out as gay/later was revealed to be straight, but I really don't think there was anything there between him and Beak!

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: @koays i once ask bendis on his tumblr page that "can u do right by the x-men and put jean and scott together again and he answered with a happy dance gif

also there is this from black vortex

No Caption Provided

jean was talking about teen scott

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: in his heart? dont know yet

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: cause the keeper of the black vortex said those who use the vortex gets changed inside and out

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277: @koays i once ask bendis on his tumblr page that "can u do right by the x-men and put jean and scott together again and he answered with a happy dance gif

also there is this from black vortex

No Caption Provided

jean was talking about teen scott

It's too soon to say something, but a thing is certain: I believe in Marvel exactly like Churchill believed in Hitler, when he said: «The Germany will not invade the Poland.»

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.