Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Bendis on Emma Frost and other Uncanny characters

zdub327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zdub327

Bendis said in an interview about Emma Frost:

"What I attempted to do with Emma, and I think Emma is fiercely intelligent character, who would look around at a low point and see it for what it is. Losing her psychic connection made her a stronger human being. Maybe it was a bit of a crutch for her old sassy self. Here, she was forced to connect with people on a more human level and at the same time maybe realize that the glorious bitch-fest that she was capable of stirring may have not been the answer to everything. Some of that was my reaction to sometimes seeing her written as a type. It would annoy me. I know some people would argue with me, I'm sure they will right here, but that it seems very one-note to me. Just in general, when Emma would show up it would be like, "Oh, it's sassy Emma with her boobs sticking out and she's gonna make everybody feel bad!" [Laughs] I wondered what else was there for her, and maybe it was time to knock her down a peg or two and see what's there. "AvX" certainly put the characters where I like to put them most, which is down on their hands trying to figure out what they're made of and what they're doing. Her connection with Cyclops was irrevocably damaged and I wanted to explore all of that. That was Emma. I know we took away some of her sassiness, which people really like about her, and I know that was frustrating to people because I was, like, not writing the part of her that they liked, but I thought we'd seen enough of that, let's look at the other parts of her. That's not all she's about. That was my feeling there."

What do you guys think about this? Do you like the character arc for Emma that Bendis describes here? Do you think he successfully executes the story arc?

My opinion is that Bendis shouldn't try to reform a character who has always worked best as an antihero. The majority of comics' most interesting characters are anti-heroes, somewhere between good and evil, like Catwoman, Cyclops, Harley Quinn, Wolverine, Deadpool, and Mystique. Making Emma good and taming her and "knocking her down a peg" to me made her a less interesting character.

I do think de-powering characters can actually be really interesting, as we've all seen with Magneto. The magnitude of his power is much smaller than it was previously, but his action sequences are still somehow more deadly than ever and the character hasn't been this interesting in a long time! But once again, Magneto has gotten to be an anti-hero, and he's gotten lots of great fight scenes and opportunities to really be a badass.

Emma, on the other hand, has really suffered for being de-powered. We haven't gotten the chance to see her showing off her fighting skills the way we have with Magneto; in fact, she's mostly just waited around in Cyclops's shadow. I think Bendis has done a really poor job with the character, and I'll say it, I prefer her as a bitch (just like how I love what a prick Damien Wayne is).

For the record, I'm generally a Bendis fan. I loved him on Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man, and I think while his X-Men runs have a frustrating lack of compelling action, he's done great things with Cyclops, Jean Grey, Magik, Magneto, Kitty Pryde, X-23, Angel, and (potentially, we'll have to see) Iceman.

Just my two cents though, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on how Bendis has handled the X-Men's, and particularly Emma Frost's, development.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if he actually did anything he just said it might have been fine. But Emma basically acted the same way she always had....if you ignored all the bits about her not having her powers she would still be the same Emma we had seen the past few years, including basically being scotts sidekick. The only scene were she shows any vulnerability or not being her usually sassy self was that final scene with Scott...but even that wasn't new as Emma has frequently shown her more vulnerable side to him.

He is talking about getting her to connect with people in different ways...but that never happened. Emma was always either:

1. being the exact same character/personality she has always been the past few years (this includes the few scenes where she helped train that new mutant I cant remember and Jean)

2. pining after scott or arguing with scott

3. being a background character and not doing anything

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Koays

@zdub327: Well here's the funny thing, I actually agree with what Bendis said here and disagree strongly with you stating "My opinion is that Bendis shouldn't try to reform a character who has always worked best as an antihero."

Emma Frost was characterized a certain way, in a certain role, with a certain expectation for 10 years before Bendis got his hands on her. As was Cyclops and several other characters, so in theory the idea that he would try to bring a different spin to a character who hadn't changed roles since she joined the X-Men proper by humbling her and giving her a vulnerability is much better then continuing to do the same thing unchanged.

It was a great idea for a character arc, and the thing about a character Arc is that they can end anywhere. Maybe she would go through this and come out her same snarky self-centered self, but she needed to go through something that rocked her foundation as a character and taking away her powers was one to do it.

Now in the execution of this idea we can see that Bendis failed miserably, because an important thing about taking someones ability to contribute to action sequences is that their needs to be another place for them to conribute and there just wasn't one for Emma.

----

Smh, the sad thing about when Bendis talks about his plans and what he was going to do is that it almost always sounds great, and then you realize that your X-many years into the run and the results look nothing like what he's describing. Great idea man....crappy writer.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

if he actually did anything he just said it might have been fine. But Emma basically acted the same way she always had....if you ignored all the bits about her not having her powers she would still be the same Emma we had seen the past few years, including basically being scotts sidekick. The only scene were she shows any vulnerability or not being her usually sassy self was that final scene with Scott...but even that wasn't new as Emma has frequently shown her more vulnerable side to him.

He is talking about getting her to connect with people in different ways...but that never happened. Emma was always either:

1. being the exact same character/personality she has always been the past few years (this includes the few scenes where she helped train that new mutant I cant remember and Jean)

First post in and everything I wanted to say has been taken care of already. Well done, milord.

zdub327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: well said! I definitely see where you're coming from. I was operating more from a "if it's not broke don't fix it" perspective, but I think that your point that the character needs to evolve and face new challenges in order to be interesting probably makes more sense!

Problem is, there's a fine line between adding to a character's complexity and having them discover new things about themselves and just flat out erasing aspects of the character that are integral to her identity. Batman isn't Batman if he's happy and well adjusted. Iron Man isn't Iron Man without his narcissism, and Daredevil isn't Daredevil without his strong sense of guilt. I'd argue that Emma isn't Emma without the bravado that masks her self-hatred. My understanding of the character is that she's always meant to have presented the world with a strong, elitist bitch to push other people away, to prevent them from loving her because she's motivated by powerful self-loathing and shame. She hates herself for getting mixed up with the Hellfire Club, for committing acts of murder and kidnapping and evil, and most of all for letting her students die. For me and for so many other fans, I think she was relateable because she was a character who has good inside of her, but has often given in to acts of greed, treachery, lust, and manipulation. That pattern of trying to be good but continually failing despite one's best efforts, of having everyone convinced that you're the absolute worst possible version of yourself and therefore giving in to self-fulfilling prophesy because goddamn it, you're evil anyway . . . that's amazing character development, the type of writing that made Emma Frost one of Marvel's most controversial heroines, especially in comparison to more solidly good characters like Rogue, Storm, and especially Jean Grey when she's not possessed by the Phoenix.

I agree with you that Bendis's idea of having Emma struggle with not having her telepathy -- her weapon against the world -- could have made her character a stronger, more vulnerable and loving person, and helped her to move forward, and I also agree that Bendis failed completely in that goal. She was rarely anything more than Scott's love interest, an after thought of a writer trying and failing to do too many things with too many characters.

But even if making Emma more vulnerable and loving is progress and evolution for her character, I'm not sure it moves her in the right direction, you know? I think it's important to have Emma deal with inner turmoil; it's what makes her character interesting. I feel the same way about Wolverine -- he should always struggle with the wild animal inside him, with his need to kill. Making him the the new Professor Xavier to me was always a mistake. Wolverine shouldn't be tamed, you know? And same with Rogue. Her character is much more interesting if she's a walking metaphor for sexual anxiety, and she can't touch anyone. I think giving her control of her powers was a big mistake that erases what makes her interesting. I think our flaws are what makes each of us interesting, and to erase our heroes fatal flaws is to erase what makes them special.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darthphoenix

I think it would be hard for him to write emma in a good way when he is clearly a jean grey fan.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I think that it is unfortunate, but I'm glad he admitted this. It confirmed many of my suspicions about his take on the Avengers and the X-Men. I think he does rely on the breaking characters down too much as a trope, and I've said as much when "Avengers Disassembled" was going on. I think this is extremely lazy writing, and what it tells me is that the writer doesn't have the ability to write characters as complex personalities at the top of their game so needs to break them down.

@zdub327 said:

"AvX" certainly put the characters where I like to put them most, which is down on their hands trying to figure out what they're made of and what they're doing.

And I really don't think he "got" Emma. Morrison could write a good Emma because he understood the balancing act between Emma knowing she was superior to someone, and then using arrogance to cover up her insecurities. All Bendis saw was "sass," when that arrogance was a mix of confidence and insecurity. At the end of the day, what I appreciated about Emma was that she was recognizably human, with a combination of strengths and weaknesses that reflected each other. By removing those traits, he basically neutered the character, and ironically made her rely extensively on the same "sass" that he claims to dislike.

I'm extremely disappointed in Bendis' performance, to be honest, and his run at Marvel convinced me that the superhero team genre is just not his strong suit. Re-reading Morrison and Whedon is a major change of pace - they seem to like the characters at their best, and were able to retain a sense of idealism while subverting genre tropes. Bendis wasn't able to do that IMHO.

No Caption Provided

Materiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: I agree with just about everything you said, except the lazy part. I don't think Bendis is lazy, I just think he's really bad at plotting out a story. Much of his writing feels written by the seat of his pants, which lends credence to not wanting to touch a complex personality interacting with other complex personalities. I couldn't imagine him doing what Hickman did with Infinity into Secret Wars. I think he needs an editor with a steel toed boot lurking behind him in the shadows.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be hard for him to write emma in a good way when he is clearly a jean grey fan.

FACTS

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@darthphoenix:

If he is a Jean Grey fan, I don't want know how he would portrayed her if he were a Jean Grey hater.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@materiel: I really can't go so far as to directly call Bendis either lazy or bad at plotting. I can say that his trope of breaking down characters is particularly lazy in that he doesn't seem to be able to do anything with them after they are disassembled. I think it's very important for this genre that whatever you do to end up being fun and hopefully have an impact, and I never saw this in his work at Marvel. It's at that point where the movies are basically re-setting the stage because the titles they are based on are so far off course IMNSHO. The most I would say is that his run at Marvel's superhero team books just wasn't interesting or memorable for the wrong things.

Materiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: The most I would say is that his run at Marvel's superhero team books just wasn't interesting or memorable for the wrong things. Such a horrendously missed opportunity considering the things that are happening in the United States today; the juxtaposition could have been incredible, but whatever. I won't argue with him breaking down characters, that is the one trick pony aspect of him. It's tiresome, but it's much easier with a solo book which I'm sure everyone can acknowledge.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been said, and I maintain, that Bendis is actually a really good idea man...it's just that he can't execute those ideas.

Broken powers, revolution, Scott coming to terms with his grief and forging his own path , Emma learning to open to people other than Scott, fighting back against the US government and SHIELD, even the O5 were at their core great ideas that SOO much could have been done with. Instead very little if anything has come of them

Emma got back to full power off panel, magik is mostly unaffected, magneto is the only one this plot line has helped and it only worked because another writer was using him.

The revolution never took off and was later revealed to have just been a threat

Emma is the same character she was when she left, just minus a relationship that was over in issue one

Scott...well he is still going forward with his plans but is no longer involving others, but I would consider this continuing to break him down rather than build back up

The war with SHIELD went no where and also never really took off, despite the reveal that they had mutant hunting sentinals.

And even his big development, the O5, never really did much to better the timeline they were in as they intended to, instead mostly bickering, having space adventures, and focusing on their own futures

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ms-lola said:
    @lordmordor said:

First post in and everything I wanted to say has been taken care of already. Well done, milord.

this. I mean, did he write all the things he said in some alternate universe? Nothing happened to Emma recently, sadly. She got some good issues and some good moments but she was background for most of the time, and it was a big shame, since Morrison and Whedon showed how good she is as a character when she's broken.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zdub327 said:

@koays: well said! I definitely see where you're coming from. I was operating more from a "if it's not broke don't fix it" perspective, but I think that your point that the character needs to evolve and face new challenges in order to be interesting probably makes more sense!

Problem is, there's a fine line between adding to a character's complexity and having them discover new things about themselves and just flat out erasing aspects of the character that are integral to her identity. Batman isn't Batman if he's happy and well adjusted. Iron Man isn't Iron Man without his narcissism, and Daredevil isn't Daredevil without his strong sense of guilt. I'd argue that Emma isn't Emma without the bravado that masks her self-hatred. My understanding of the character is that she's always meant to have presented the world with a strong, elitist bitch to push other people away, to prevent them from loving her because she's motivated by powerful self-loathing and shame. She hates herself for getting mixed up with the Hellfire Club, for committing acts of murder and kidnapping and evil, and most of all for letting her students die. For me and for so many other fans, I think she was relateable because she was a character who has good inside of her, but has often given in to acts of greed, treachery, lust, and manipulation. That pattern of trying to be good but continually failing despite one's best efforts, of having everyone convinced that you're the absolute worst possible version of yourself and therefore giving in to self-fulfilling prophesy because goddamn it, you're evil anyway . . . that's amazing character development, the type of writing that made Emma Frost one of Marvel's most controversial heroines, especially in comparison to more solidly good characters like Rogue, Storm, and especially Jean Grey when she's not possessed by the Phoenix.

I agree with you that Bendis's idea of having Emma struggle with not having her telepathy -- her weapon against the world -- could have made her character a stronger, more vulnerable and loving person, and helped her to move forward, and I also agree that Bendis failed completely in that goal. She was rarely anything more than Scott's love interest, an after thought of a writer trying and failing to do too many things with too many characters.

But even if making Emma more vulnerable and loving is progress and evolution for her character, I'm not sure it moves her in the right direction, you know? I think it's important to have Emma deal with inner turmoil; it's what makes her character interesting. I feel the same way about Wolverine -- he should always struggle with the wild animal inside him, with his need to kill. Making him the the new Professor Xavier to me was always a mistake. Wolverine shouldn't be tamed, you know? And same with Rogue. Her character is much more interesting if she's a walking metaphor for sexual anxiety, and she can't touch anyone. I think giving her control of her powers was a big mistake that erases what makes her interesting. I think our flaws are what makes each of us interesting, and to erase our heroes fatal flaws is to erase what makes them special.

Lol so yea i tried to respond to this but apparently if you change your wifi location and try to continue your post it will lie to you and say you responded.

So to save time lets limit this discussion to Rogue.

Anyone who knows only a little bit about X-Men tends to get the jist of Rogue. She can't touch people without killing/absorbing/stealing powers memories and life force from them. That is her identifying point as a character, to the point that whether it's the movies, Ultimate Comics, X-Men the Animated Series, or X-Men Evolution, the way you start of with Rogue is that she can't touch people. It gives you a mountain load of stories to tell from another mountain load of perspectives. All of that without even touching on the distinctness of the character beyond her powers.

But at a certain point you have to see that the stories run out. During the late 80's to early 00's Rogue had done everything to explore her particular circumstances.We'd seen her struggle with her powers painted her as being trapped in her body, unable to connect to the world and even as struggling for with a need for affection from males, parental figures and/or teammates. We'd seen her explore her powers different effects on her different relationships with Gambit, Joseph, and Magneto. We'd seen her look for different ways to utilize her powers both for good and evil. We'd seen her completely own her powers and her struggle for control and use it to empower herself and through it help her rise to a leadership role and we'd seen her completely free and relieved in the rare moments when she lost her powers and angst for issues when she gets them back.

At a certain point we'd seen her do every conceivable thing in regards to her powers EXCEPT control them.

So after a character arc spanning 2 years (and arguably her entire existence) she literally fights her inner demons and gains control of her powers. And this takes her to knew heights, Rogue becomes not only one the strongest team members, but after years of being the most damaged one she's arguably the most complete and arguably because of this she spends entire arcs solving other peoples problems and just looking for the best places to help the other X-Characters in the area. She has a unique perspective since her powers were the biggest issue she has ever had to deal with and that inspires her to help others, she pushes the X-Kids without control of their powers to gain control and is a walking symbol of why any mutant with a "Uncontrollable and deadly" mutation shouldn't give up hope of one day controlling it.

Which makes it all the more devastating to the character when she loses control again. She had mastered her powers to incredible levels, helped hold other mutants together and had moved several paces beyond being the girl who can't touch people. And to add to the trauma of being returned to that state, it's not even a mental block. It's not some goal in front of her or something she needs to one day overcome....Wonderman is trapped inside her. There is nothing at all that SHE can do about that and there's nothing that she did wrong.

No Caption Provided

So after coming so far only to be forced back into the place you started through no fault of your own, it now adds another mountain of gravity to all the old stories of struggle that can be revisited now that this character is back to her status quo after years of new experiences and becoming a new person. That's not something that can be explored or even done as well in a issue or two, and it certainly isn't something that anything from her days as the "girl who cannot touch" could've lived up to.

So yea while there is something to be said about staying true to a character and what they represent, watching the characters move past a certain point gives a feeling of growth that you can enjoy with them, watching them gain experience and become more competent only to be dragged down by new failures is a big thing...and to me much more enjoyable since the novelty of 616 Rogue's original struggle wore off and needed to be reignited.

Because as much as i'd hate for a new Cartoon, or movie to overlook the story Rogue's struggle, the ultimate gratification for me as fan is seeing where the story of her gaining control end up and how she reacted to it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I had no idea that happened to Rogue.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: yup Uncanny Avengers vol 1 disappointed in some ways but it definitely delivered with drama

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By adamTRMM

Emma Frost reuniting with Scott (even as teammates) was an utter joke.

---------------------------------------------

@koays:

Why? Why did you remind me of that bastardization Remender put our lovely Rogue through? :( That was additional step in her becoming Holy Wanda's lapdog that many of us predicted since issue 14.

The contrast with the first issue is obvious, right?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Lol yes very obvious. I think that maybe a year down the line this shouldve been the result.....but considering Rogue freaking killed Wanda about a year ago all we need to know about her lecturing Vision has been said. This should be a leaning moment for Rogue the mutant X-Man not the Avengers who are former teammates...but whatever.

Idk....Uncanny Avengers had so much potential, even though i wanted to hate it, that it pains me that there was such a lack of development for so much of them team....and where they did get development it was unnatural. So much more couldve been gained and it really feels half done....though i'd still recommend ppl stop with Rogue's breakdown if there reading that run and ignore access and the current book.

Rogue at the end of the Apocalypse Twins arc was great for her, but the allegiance with Scarlet WItch was taken way too far way too soon. Really highlights the flaws with this current Volume that established history of Rogue and Scarlet witch is being ignored in favor of something not hinted at prior. I've never seen the sit down between Rogue and witch that made me think she'd stop hating her.... Still if Remender had stopped at the issue before the lead in to Axis it wouldve been perfect (ignoring the impicatioons of killing of a timeline) for the story.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

I LOVED Uncanny Avengers right until issue 14 (not without controversies, but the story-telling was top notch until then), that crap was a total insta-killshot. And it killed the book since all writer's intentions were revealed to anybody who has some sort of reading experience.

Remender bends characters, he doesn't develop or really understands them, he's like Bendis-junior, only with that amusing urge to moralize.

I think I better stop myself right here, too much negativity.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Koays

@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

I LOVED Uncanny Avengers right until issue 14 (not without controversies, but the story-telling was top notch until then), that crap was a total insta-killshot. And it killed the book since all writer's intentions were revealed to anybody who has some sort of reading experience.

Remender bends characters, he doesn't develop or really understands them, he's like Bendis-junior, only with that amusing urge to moralize.

I think I better stop myself right here, too much negativity.

Lol now that you mention it they are eerily similar with that....

Remender is clearly the stronger writer, because even at his worst you see the logic behind his decisions.... I mean Rogue befriending SW after all their bickering makes sense in story structure way, he just missed the part where it happened and jumped to the end result. Sort of like how Rogue was angry and unreasonable in the early issues, it makes sense for her....just skipped over the transition from how she was last portrayed.

It's not Bendis level "And now X-23 will be a moody teenager" type of forcing...but he definitely has a habit of just putting the characters where he wants them without doing the work to get them there.

Still i'd rather them to have continued the first runs stories of promoting "Unity" (when they can't even agree on what that should mean) and forming a dynamic among the team.. then to deal with what looks like a C-List Avengers team, fighting a C-List villain, on a D-List planet.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

## I disagree that partnering Emma up with Scott (even as teammates/friends) in UXM was a mistake. Like it or not the two had basically been inseperable since Morrison and Whedon. They have had the trials, they have had the moments, and they did have real feelings for each other. AvX with its phoenix issues pushed them both in directions they wouldn't go normally (Emma had been a target for Namor before but always refused him until she was possessed by the PF. Likewise, Scotts actions during AvX were also influenced by the PF).

To end such a long term relationship so suddenly and basically off panel would have been a disservice to fans of the relationship and characters. They needed a proper send off. The beginning issues of of bendis's UXM showed promise with the two reaching an understanding. They acknowledged that things had happened that radically altered the relationship to such an extent that being together at the time was impossible. But Scott still knew Emma was a good person and a good teacher, and Emma knew that Scott had good intentions. One of the best scenes between the two in all their time together in my mind was when Emma admitted that when she looked back at the person she was before she became involved with scott, she couldn't stand it. She looked back and literally hated who she was until their relationship changed her, and that that fact was enough for her to continue working with him, even if they were not together.

But like most of the great concepts Bendis had...he squandered and wasted it. We saw ZERO development stem from the separation for either character. Scott is still so big-picture and goal oriented that he can only see the forest, not the tree's. And Emma is still a self-hating queen bee hiding behind a mask of elitism, unable to connect to other people on meaningful levels. He has basically left it up to the next writer to pick up the pieces of his characters and make it work.

We have already seen this with Magneto...what did Bendis do with Magneto while he had access to him....not much. All of his other characters were suffering from the same Phoenix damaged power issues. The difference is...Magneto was picked up by another writer and was able to create an amazing solo series that reinvigorated the character. While the characters still under Bendis stagnated and moved no-where to the point that he basically abandoned the concept. Magik has basically no issues after aborbing Limbo and was little more than a snarky transport device (magik-school bus), Emma fixed her powers off panel, and Scotts blasts were only ever not working when the plot required them not to. Even now we still don't know the exact state of his optic blasts.

SOOO many of his concepts and ideas could have worked wonderfully. They could have either further developed these characters, told a great story, provided an interesting character arc, or a combination of all 3. Instead we have a collection of great ideas that were literally DROPPED. The Revolution.....great at first, from Scott appearing at rallies and challenging the Avengers on camera, to declaring war on SHIELD for using mutant hunting sentinels. Dropped. We saw nothing of the mostly human demonstrations that were occurring supporting Cyclops after the 1-2 issues he was involved in them. We saw no real issues coming from the fact that SHIELD was using sentinals programmed to kill mutants. Scott infiltrated the Helicarrier twice, invaded the mind of Maria Hill, declared war on her....and nothing came of it. Dark Beast randomly showed up, randomly hated Scott, and was randomly killed. That was the end of the Revolution/SHIELD storyline. Pretty much all his potential followed the same formula of interesting premise, good start, dropped storyline.

I stuck with him during his entire run, because despite the pacing issues (which were severe), he had GOOD story ideas and GOOD character moments. I held out hope that there would be some kind of payout at the end. Now I feel like unless UXM 600 somehow does what should have been done over the course of a yea+r in a single issue, I have wasted my time and money.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

Remender is clearly the stronger writer, because even at his worst you see the logic behind his decisions.... I mean Rogue befriending SW after all their bickering makes sense in story structure way, he just missed the part where it happened and jumped to the end result. Sort of like how Rogue was angry and unreasonable in the early issues, it makes sense for her....just skipped over the transition from how she was last portrayed.

It's not Bendis level "And now X-23 will be a moody teenager" type of forcing...but he definitely has a habit of just putting the characters where he wants them without doing the work to get them there.

You know, I'm pretty sure they are both doing well in their creator owned stuff like Black Science (which I'll try one day) or Powers, hell I keep hearing Alias is very good read and I can absolutely see how Bendis' style with little censorship can work absolutely fine when he has ONE main character in the center. So it's not about who's worse, it's about one little enemy of this kind of writers that is "continuity" (crazy right?). You see, what was that sh!t when Grim Reaper attacked Scarlet Witch apparently accusing her with his resurrection? When the hell did that happen? But out of all characters, he chose a brother of Wanda's then still potential love interest for the sake of some twisted soap opera points when there was no actual precedent? I dunno, it's just f@cking terrible.

Now, Rogue (and that hurts the most) I've seen lots of apologists who find off-panel explanations to why Rogue was reversed back to 90s personality, but let's face it, after I think more than 50+ issues of constant character development by Carey, one have to be a full blown buffoon to just blatantly ignore ANY development that happened right there and happened recently!

And you know what's really funny? The list goes on.

Still i'd rather them to have continued the first runs stories of promoting "Unity" (when they can't even agree on what that should mean) and forming a dynamic among the team.. then to deal with what looks like a C-List Avengers team, fighting a C-List villain, on a D-List planet.

Well Thor is no Thor, Cap is no Cap, hell Havok is no Alex (see what I did there?).

Axis was just plain awful, the inversions were cartoonish and shallow, and what not (I better not even get there), and I assume it left a very definitive backlash afterwards, which he clearly deserves.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Koays

@adamtrmm said:

@koays:

You know, I'm pretty sure they are both doing well in their creator owned stuff like Black Science (which I'll try one day) or Powers, hell I keep hearing Alias is very good read and I can absolutely see how Bendis' style with little censorship can work absolutely fine when he has ONE main character in the center. So it's not about who's worse, it's about one little enemy of this kind of writers that is "continuity" (crazy right?). You see, what was that sh!t when Grim Reaper attacked Scarlet Witch apparently accusing her with his resurrection? When the hell did that happen? But out of all characters, he chose a brother of Wanda's then still potential love interest for the sake of some twisted soap opera points when there was no actual precedent? I dunno, it's just f@cking terrible.

Now, Rogue (and that hurts the most) I've seen lots of apologists who find off-panel explanations to why Rogue was reversed back to 90s personality, but let's face it, after I think more than 50+ issues of constant character development by Carey, one have to be a full blown buffoon to just blatantly ignore ANY development that happened right there and happened recently!

And you know what's really funny? The list goes on.

It's true though. I mean even when you read something like Ultimate Spiderman (which i don't necessarily find that amazing) you can see where having a smaller world with less established characterization and less continuity can give a writer like Bendis a chance to show where he shines. The problem is when he takes an established franchise and "just does things" it's hard to over look them to see the story....especially given the lack of direction.

Remender though at least had the benefit of keeping characters in some version of themselves. I feel like if i read Remender's run in 10 years and (somehow) forgot that i had read every issue Carey had wrote involving Rogue, i wouldn't feel it was out of place. She worked within the story, which considering the company were mentioning him with is applause worthy. In 10 years I'll still think All New X-Men is a badly written story, In 10 years I'll think Uncanny X-Men was a better written but ultimately pointless story, But in 10 years when I read Uncanny Avengers, i'll forget why we didn't praise it more. Which is good for the story, but ultimately bad if the writer's goal was to just start writing and hope we'll eventually forget what came before.

Honest to God Axis will go down as a parody of the Marvel Universe worst then any senseless AvX or BotA.... and if Remender really was forced to do that then i almost feel bad for him having to be the one who's name will be synonymous with the book that reads like it written by a 8th grader and colored by a 2nd grader. And the only reason it got away with being so stupid was because everyone got caught up in the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver crap for a whole month before they announced Secret Wars.

Bendis on his worst random sexuality changing, new power giving, time travel, slow paced, outer space, GotG crossover day wouldn't have this on his conscience. And the worst part is....no body talks about it!!! So it just goes unmentioned how they charged $4 an issue for just the non existent main story.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By adamTRMM

@koays:

It's true though. I mean even when you read something like Ultimate Spiderman (which i don't necessarily find that amazing) you can see where having a smaller world with less established characterization and less continuity can give a writer like Bendis a chance to show where he shines. The problem is when he takes an established franchise and "just does things" it's hard to over look them to see the story....especially given the lack of direction.

Exactly.

Remender though at least had the benefit of keeping characters in some version of themselves. I feel like if i read Remender's run in 10 years and (somehow) forgot that i had read every issue Carey had wrote involving Rogue, i wouldn't feel it was out of place. She worked within the story, which considering the company were mentioning him with is applause worthy. In 10 years I'll still think All New X-Men is a badly written story, In 10 years I'll think Uncanny X-Men was a better written but ultimately pointless story, But in 10 years when I read Uncanny Avengers, i'll forget why we didn't praise it more. Which is good for the story, but ultimately bad if the writer's goal was to just start writing and hope we'll eventually forget what came before.

That's the point, you have "to forget" and "to repress" quite too much and too often with Remender. And the worst part of this little essay is that Rogue was the most reasonable member of this messed up dysfunction when she clearly wasn't portrayed to be one (her seditious attitude resulted in killing Wanda in cold blood), which says a lot about his intentions and resolutions. I know it's my X-bias talking out loud, but there's no shame in it lol seriously though, there so much to discuss about I don't know where to even start. Remender's conceptualizing the factions of both A and X fandoms and the disdain that boiled between so many as the result of AvX within his story (via characters and their status quo) and basically concentrating and resolving on this formation was a reasonable one might think, right? This premise was almost a must. I mean blacking out for a second like his run didn't even start, all I can see here is an overwhelming potential to do something both relevant and innovative, but what was the end result? Axis... That we will never forget :P

Let's also not forget Wanda/Rogue "danger room" dialogue where Remender utterly exposed his bias, when Holy (genocidal)Wanda "reasonably and justly" I mind you made Rogue look bad in an argument about mutant identity - no shame, no regrets, yet the high ground. How? And Rogue's cumulative point in defense and acknowledgement of her identity was... persecution... the mutant identity is... sharing a persecution... -_- F@cking ridicolous. And people really want him on the flagship after Bendis?

I mean I can totally support the absolutely gold mockery of "mutant identity" because the development of this area is almost nonexistent beyond the aforementioned "persecution", yet this wasn't a "subtle sneer", but an actual existential point of this philosophical debate...

Honest to God Axis will go down as a parody of the Marvel Universe worst then any senseless AvX or BotA.... and if Remender really was forced to do that then i almost feel bad for him having to be the one who's name will be synonymous with the book that reads like it written by a 8th grader and colored by a 2nd grader. And the only reason it got away with being so stupid was because everyone got caught up in the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver crap for a whole month before they announced Secret Wars.

I actually think it was his idea (Axis), I mean whose else would it be? From all of his interviews it seems like he's working tightly with Brevoort, so it's just him and the main editor. I want to say the same about SW and QS, for some reason I feel it's also on him, and Brevoort of course was also glad delivering news to his bosses of such a loyal to the system creator. My little hatefic, but I do believe the real thing was somewhat similar lol

Bendis on his worst random sexuality changing, new power giving, time travel, slow paced, outer space, GotG crossover day wouldn't have this on his conscience. And the worst part is....no body talks about it!!! So it just goes unmentioned how they charged $4 an issue for just the non existent main story.

That' why I don't buy Bendis, plain and simple, the comic ain't worth its money in most areas you can possibly mention.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.