Bendis and Uncanny 308

#1 Posted by zprime (15 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I just created an account so I could post on these boards. Prior to today I've never even been on this site, however, I felt compelled to sign up and discuss All-New X-Men. For some background, I've been collecting X-titles since 1991 (the only comics I ever read with regularity) and I quit picking up new issues when "New X-Men" launched (I picked up the collections for that entire run which confirmed every single reason why I quit) and just focused on rounding out my collection.

At any rate, I decided on a whim to start back up again with AvX. The series had promise that was only realized in AvX: Consequences, to be completely fair. The writing was jarring at times and, for the sake of full disclosure, I'm squarely in the "Cyclops Was Right" camp. This being said, I'm still picking up X-Men: Legacy, Cable and X-Force, anxiously awaiting UXF and, of course, I'm reading All-New X-Men.

Now that is out of the way, I have to say that All-New has a ton of potential. So far (with one noted exception) the original five have been handled appropriately. However, getting to my point, I'm afraid Bendis simply has it in for Cyclops, both young and old. The scene with Wolverine debating whether he should be executed was idiotic (and no, it wasn't a "lessen" for the new kids; it's terrible writing). Not only is older Cyclops not a villain by any meaningful metric, but it appears that young Cyclops is a pariah for now. The final panel with Jean seems like Bendis is going to take his "fresh take" on the original five in the direction where Scott Summers and Jean Grey do not become the iconic pair that they did in the original timeline (and in fact, if he's setting up a reality where Wolverine and Jean are together he should really just read AoA and be done with it, which completely came back to Scott and Jean anyway, but whatever).

So, getting to the title of my post: if you haven't, check out Uncanny X-Men 308 (January 1994). Bendis is really destroying a key component of both characters if he departs in a direction that things look like they are headed (and more alarming than the last panel is when Jean tells Wolverine, "I know you and I--" at which point he tells her to stop talking).

Oh, and one last note: Kitty is going to be their Prof. X while they are here? Seriously? Is she going to train them in the ways of being completely unlikeable?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read.

#2 Posted by dangallant984 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that now, thanksgiving? with the football? That issue was a much appreciated moment of fun after the death of Illyanna and the subsequent losses of both Colossus and Wolverine during Fatal Attractions.

I assume the key character components you're talking about are how Scott and Jean have at this point realized that they always knew that they were meant to be together? In Bendis' defence, I would point out that the young Scott and Jean from All New X-men have yet to reach that understanding about their relationship.

I wouldn't panic though, I think he's still taking them in that direction, honestly, I think he just wants to retain the sense of teenage romantic confusion that the characters had in the 60's.

anyway, sounds like you started reading around the same time as me, so welcome to the club.

#3 Posted by zprime (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Good memory! Yes, it was that very issue. An important part of that issue is how Jean's connection to Scott was so strong that she was reaching out to him with her latent telepathy without even realizing it. Obviously All-New X-Men established that Jean had yet to realize she was telepathic, but the point is still valid: there is an undeniable connection between the two. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that Bendis should be completely restrained, but it would be nice for him to acknowledge/treat the Jean and Scott dynamic with some degree of respect.

Thanks for the welcoming!

#4 Posted by dangallant984 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@zprime: yeah, I think he'll respect it in the end, I think he's just trying to keep us on the edge of our seats. y'know, the dynamic for teen drama is greatly increased by having more than five teenagers (and only one girl). It's great story potential, and I think it'd be a waste to not play off that..

#5 Posted by slimlim (278 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Agreed. We shouldn't push the panic button just yet. This is just the beginning.

To borrow something from Batman... "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

I doubt present Cyclop's role as a revolutionary or Teen Scott's role as a pariah will last. Bendis has already mentioned that Cyclops seeks a road to redemption. We'll just have to see whats in store.

@zprime: welcome back to x-books. i myself started in the 80s and stopped in the early 90s. However, it was Morrison's New X-Men that brought me back. I assume from your posts that you're a fan of the Scott & Jean pairing. Perhaps how their relationship (and jean's life) ended made you quit, but i would highly recommend that you at least give Joss Whedon's Astonishing run a try. just a suggestion.

#6 Posted by dangallant984 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@zprime: .@slimlim said:

@zprime: welcome back to x-books. i myself started in the 80s and stopped in the early 90s. However, it was Morrison's New X-Men that brought me back. I assume from your posts that you're a fan of the Scott & Jean pairing. Perhaps how their relationship (and jean's life) ended made you quit, but i would highly recommend that you at least give Joss Whedon's Astonishing run a try. just a suggestion.

I totally second that.

#7 Posted by CerealKiller (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Its all about the journey, not the destination. Everything in the land of x-books is a little up in the air right now and scott's being pinned as a villain and wolverine being a bit of a dick and the O5 are being a little angsty, but its all part of a plot. like Bendis mentions, scott is on a road to redemption so i have faith that his character is only getting screwed over in able to evoke some sympathy.

I like having no idea whats going to happen next and that theres a sense of drama. It makes me look forward to every issue!

#8 Posted by chasereis (803 posts) - - Show Bio

@zprime: Let me welcome you on board as well. I am very much a fan of classic x-men as well.

I agree with what dangallant and slimlim are saying however I would warn you to prepare yourself for the "Planet X" storyline especially. Morrison really goes off the rails on that one not to say his Here Comes Tomorrow is a good epilogue or wrap up to his run...digressing.

@dangallant984: Actually I think he will start up the love...octagon with Jean again. Remember the Angel Vs Wolvie Vs. Cyclops for Jean's Hand blah blah.

#9 Edited by dangallant984 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@zprime: Let me welcome you on board as well. I am very much a fan of classic x-men as well.

I agree with what dangallant and slimlim are saying however I would warn you to prepare yourself for the "Planet X" storyline especially. Morrison really goes off the rails on that one not to say his Here Comes Tomorrow is a good epilogue or wrap up to his run...digressing.

basically it's a really good run if you stop reading once Xorn takes his helmet off.

#10 Edited by chasereis (803 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: lulz. No Joseph your head! Tis a flesh wound...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.