Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Ask, and Ye Shall Receive...Answers: Episode 28

PatMcgroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PatMcgroin

I prefer team books.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

Characters introduced in teams have a hard time escaping the team aspect, but I disagree with the idea that these characters can't carry their own titles. Marvel prefers teams and teams sell better. Bringing characters with fan-bases like Storm, Colossus, Rogue, Emma Frost, etc works better then trying to push a single series with one of them.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By theTimeStreamer

wolverine is the best there is. storm, rogue, iceman NONE of them can carry their own books.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@Blood1991: i have a theory about the x-men. same theory with chicks. you think the character is great because he/she is surrounded by lesser ones. thats why solo x-men books go only up to max 12 issues. wolverine can do solo because he started solo. he is the lone wolf. all the other x-men cant do that because the only thing they know to do is be an x-man, a team player.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DanialCarroll

Beast is my favourite X-Man but he usually plays a support role to the team so I can't see him ever going on solo adventures.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blood1991

@theTimeStreamer: I disagree that any of these characters is lesser to the other simply because one can hold a solo and the rest can't, but yes Logan has the benefit of his past and the many ties that came with it "S.H.I.E.L.D, Ms. marvel, Alpha Flight, the Hand, etc" no other X-Man has that. Storm has Africa, and Shadowking, Cyclops has Mr. Sinister and his future offspring, Rogue has Ms. Marvel, and her villain past, but these characters are limited to their experiences outside of the X-Men. However, Hawkeye is a character who has similar characteristics to the X-Men in his character being built by team interaction and so far his solo is doing very well, but only time can tell how that will go for now.

CaptainHeadset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainHeadset

What about Namor? He is an X-man now, but he was one of the first Marvel super heroes with his own solo. Maybe he doesnt really count, because he's is a pretty well established character even before he was with the x-men, but still.

Besides Namor, i also think that Psylocke could pull off her own solo. They could dive in to her ninja qualities and just do a dark ninja story. Same kinda goes for Shadowcat. People tend to forget shes also has some japanese martial arts background. Yet i would think the shadowcat comic would be a little more adventure then all dark ninja stuff. I know if i think about it, there will be loads of x-men that could pull of a solo, but it would always depend on whos doing it, both writing and art.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Outside_85

Unfortunately it seems that characters that are created for team books have a very tough job breaking out into solo books. And it is not just X-Men or Marvel this is limited to. Looking at DC and the original League line up has featured the Martian Manhunter for so long in comparison to his solo adventures, its become hard seeing him alone. Same with the most of the Teen Titans, where only Dick seems to be able to do it.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9  Edited By McKlayn

X men books can't carry solo books because X men fans don't want it. I am an X man fan and I am already pressed to buy like what 6-8 X men team titles, and I am sorry but the Gambit Solo series aint in my pull list because i can't afford it.

I LOVE GAMBIT BUT if it comes to choosing between a title that holds 5-6 of my favorite characters and interacts with the other books, that is what I am buying. Also they tend to take the Character out of the environment we X men fans love. We care about the X men world, X men Villains, the X men Cause, Gambit solo or whoever else never has anything to do with that. The Cable Series ran very well (got renamed a few times but thats just what marvel does) because it again crossed over with X titles, and Dealt with X issues a bit more then other solo attempts.

The Characters ARE strong enough, the fans just don't really want it as bad. I mean i don't want a Cyclops Solo, or a Iceman solo or any of that. I want them to get more time in team books sure, but solo nah. Its about the Fans not the Characters

bigboi10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigboi10000

What's the name of the song that starts around 2:30 into the video?

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By Trevel8182

Do you think there is any X-men character who could carry his or her own book?

fullmetaladam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fullmetaladam

I can't believe no one has said the obvious....DOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what about Magneto. He's an X-man now too and an ongoing detailing his younger years in the concentration camp would be cool.

quatro_briefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By quatro_briefs

My goodness this guy needs to just answer the damn question... lol

Anyway, I believe Namor, Cable, Deadpool (he is not an X-men per se, but an X-men character), and Gambit's solo is doing well for itself at the moment.

With the right team or writer and artist, I can see others carrying their own. An AOA Nightcrawler could be interesting.

and X-men Legacy is pretty much a Legion solo and it is kicking much butt now!

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hunter5024

I don't really think it's a matter of them not being able to carry their own series, I just think it's Marvel betting on the smart money. If you release a Rogue book, then just Rogue fans will buy it, if you release a book with Rogue, Emma Frost, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, and Beast, then fans of all of those characters will buy it.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By poisonfleur

I am a bit put off by this video-- even tho it did have some truth to it.

1) Storm 'solo' World's Apart- was AMAZING and probably one of her best stories. That was a bummer how you knocked it in your video. It showed a rematch against Cyclops and had her save Wakanda and the X-men and defeat the Shadow King! (Also Storm has had a few other mini-series in the past, but never really given a real chance like lucky gambit.)

2) You are Right about Rogue. That may have been the worst solo X-men book I have read in my life. And I wish I could have that hour of my life back. At least the covers were beautiful.

3) The reasons solos for X-men have issues is because the x-men find most of their purpose within the x-men with the exception of Wolverine. Rogue's only other major purpose would be with Ms.Marvel, Storm's with Africa & the Fantastic four, Psylocke with The Hand or Captain Britain maybe.. These character's need more sway and influence by the other forces in the Marvel universe. They have so much priority invested into the X-men that their own interests/stories can take flight because their are more important x-matters to attend to.

4) Personally I think Storm could have had an amazing solo especially with Wakanda making her a fugitive and her rocking a new look. It would be hot, fresh, something we haven't seen before AND it would address some of the obvious issues in the Marvel universe. Also this would be good for Storm's solo career and for her fans. I know tons of people-- including myself who would buy her books. There is such a HUGE audience of Storm fans who have grown up watching her as children and want to read specifically about her now that we are older and have our own money, but the opportunity really isn't working out between Marvel and it's fans.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ForeverMan

I think solo X books are so tough because unlike most superheroes, these characters and their motivation tend to be tied to the Mutant Civil RIghts movement.

It's hard to remove them from that and put them in situations where it makes sense for them to be solo adventuring IMO. For so long Wolverine was driven by his unknown origin, Cable by being lost in time. I think you have to find some sort of similar solo motivation for solo characters, which isn't so easy to do well.

Spawn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spawn92

It really depends on how interesting the character's back story is. Wolverine and Deadpool worked because their solo series were about uncovering the past, and eventually led to what their solo books are today. This is good for a few books, but how long does it stick before writers are creating characters with amnesia so they can make a solo out of it?

The last Cable worked well because he wasn't even in the same timeline. He carried the name of the XMen into the future! I think that if more XMen were given the chance to explore bizarre scenarios (young Colossus as a frankenstien type in mother Russia?) it would open up more of an interest to see that character's solo adventures.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Fantasgasmic

A list of X-men (and other X-team) characters, regardless of if they're currently alive, that I would like to see in a solo book in no particular order. And, for the record, I still don't consider people like Namor or Cloak & Dagger to be X-Men:

• Cable
    • Psylocke
    • Domino
    • X-23
    • Multiple Man
    • Jean Grey
    • Bishop
    • Jubilee
    tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tximinoman

I don't know if anyone have said it already but the reason solo X-books doesn't work is because the X-Men are a family. While the Avengers chose their members and almost any hero can become an avenger, most of the x-men only have the school and the x-men, that's their lives, that's where their friends and family are, and their whole world IS that. You can take solo books from Avengers because being an Avenger is a job, you go when you are called and you do your thing. Sure they are all friends and care about each other, but that's it. Being an X-Man is more like being part of a family.

Storm for example have no story before being an X-woman, she didn't exist. Sure she was an African godess and a child thief or something like that, but that's not really a thing. With Colossus happens the same, before he was an X-Man he was a farmer. A FUCKING FARMER. And you can say almost the same for every X-man. Cable and Wolverine on the other hand had a great backstory, they had their own adventures before joining the X-men, and that's something writers can work with. They had a life outside the x-men so it makes sense they have one after join them.

(I'm sorry if this is bad written, I'm from Spain and I always try my best)

benzino_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By benzino_x

There was a series called 'Marvel Comics Presents Colossus' in the late 80's (of which I have 3 issues). It wasn't however the solo series like these mentioned in the question. Each issue had an 8 page feature with Colossus plus three other short stories with different characters every issue.

Personally I feel that Colossus would be a great title. Just give it to Rick Remender and he will deliver, just like he did with Venom for example.

No Caption Provided
    Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blacharrt1

Iceman did have a mini series, so did Emma Frost, and a number of other x-men. They were actually very good. I think what it really boils down to is lack of imagination at marvel. I have heard from a lot of people on a good range of characters that have been left with HUGE wholes where these characters could be Focused on in their own series.

Pixie for example had a mini, where it explains that she is the daughter of Mastermind, and needs the help of her two sisters to help the New X-men girls. Her mother is from another dimension... OMG what is wrong with you Marvel explore this. But instead Marvel turns her into a horrible background character that no one cares about.

Threnody & X-man : Who didn't read the X-man series, or the AoA a series that proceeded it. X-man becomes Shaman, Threnody is completely written out of the X-men books, WTH happened to the baby???? A Summers child had a kid, that should be big news, and at least a saga... NOPE! X-man becomes Shaman disappears comes back, and his Story is completely forgotten, let's just rename him useless cable or Bishop 2.1

Jubilee: Nugh Said, but no... Jubilee is a fan favorite and actually sells mags, Jubilee & Wolverine vol 2, i was told did big numbers, yet they drop Jubilee whenever they can. What they did to the X-men book made no sense at all. Colossus wasn't even suppose to be in the book. And they got rid of Warpath... Warpath & Jubilee could have developed into a beautiful love mess gumbo.

Blindfold: Nerosha was the lead into something more for her (Hint hint, what Destiny said to her on the Island) yet Marvel I'm sure will leave her undeveloped as they do a lot of characters. Could blindfold carry a whole book series by herself, i think she could, she's offbeat, and likable, but chaos seems to rain down on her. In the Pixie book, i like Blindfold more than i liked Pixie. In Inferno when Magik comes back and Blindfold was telling the story, I'm like this chick is awesome.

Cipher: Awesome lead in to a character, with being kept a secret, and being hidden from a big bad, and completely faded away after that.

Iceman: if written better can carry his own series, his mini proved that, but i think most writers just don't know what to do with him, which has been apparent in the last few saga, he's either in the background or not there at all.

Storm: could definitely carry her own series. World's apart was an awesome lead-in to her role in Astonishing, which i think is what it was meant to be. But then they put her in the background and she just became waldo, it was a game to try and find storm in Marvel books. I think writers also don't know what to do with her either it's apparent when they just reduce her to the Lighting Strike lady.

Current version of Angel would be an interesting series read depending on how they would go with it, his new powers, and more apparent connection to Divine power could lead into a more interesting story and character development. Mix it was the return of Nightcrawler or even AoA Nightcrawler and i think you have a winner.

Genesis should have his own series, because there needs to be a New Apocalypse, and he needs to be fully unleashed.

I am so tired of Wolverine titles and appearances it's not even funny. The X-men have so many characters that the writers have not even touched or developed it's just a really big waste. Writers and Editors should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm also hoping for the X-23,Jubilee, Penance book that is being talked about, that needs to happen.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Marvel is just far more adept at team titles than DC and hence why X-Men solo titles are seldom successful outside of perhaps only Wolverine. I think another article kinda answered this question earlier this week too. I think its a shame actually about lack of effective solo titles, but its also what makes Marvel strong in its own way, whether with X-Men or Avengers or any other team.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By judasnixon

Look at your most popular solo series. Your Batman, your Spiderman, or your Superman, and see why they work. First they all have a great supporting cast. lets take Spiderman, he has Mary Jane, Aunt May, John Jonah Jameson, Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, Gwen Stacy, you get the point. Now for the sake of argument let use Kitty Pryde, mind you I love Kitty Pryde, she my favorite. Take Kitty Pryde out of the X-men, what supporting cast do you have left? Lockeheed the purple dragon, that's it. Her supporting cast are the X-men. Most X-men don't have friends outside of the X-men. That's why they keep on hooking up with each other. 
      Second, I can't think of one X-man who has a villain, who isn't an over all X-men villain. We all Know Batman has a great rogue gallery. He can rock 6 books a month, and there is no shortage of bad guys to fight. Most X-men don't have one real arch-enemy. If Storm, Iceman, or Rogue had a solo series who would they fight? and would you give a $h!t about who they're fighting? Storm can only kick the Shadow King so many times in the taint, then what?   

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#24  Edited By gmanfromheck

@Blacharrt1: But it's about having an ongoing series.

bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bumpton

@judasnixon said:

Look at your most popular solo series. Your Batman, your Spiderman, or your Superman, and see why they work. First they all have a great supporting cast. lets take Spiderman, he has Mary Jane, Aunt May, John Jonah Jameson, Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, Gwen Stacy, you get the point. Now for the sake of argument let use Kitty Pryde, mind you I love Kitty Pryde, she my favorite. Take Kitty Pryde out of the X-men, what supporting cast do you have left? Lockeheed the purple dragon, that's it. Her supporting cast are the X-men. Most X-men don't have friends outside of the X-men. That's why they keep on hooking up with each other. Second, I can't think of one X-man who has a villain, who isn't an over all X-men villain. We all Know Batman has a great rogue gallery. He can rock 6 books a month, and there is no shortage of bad guys to fight. Most X-men don't have one real arch-enemy. If Storm, Iceman, or Rogue had a solo series who would they fight? and would you give a $h!t about who they're fighting? Storm can only kick the Shadow King so many times in the taint, then what?

I think that pretty much nailed my thoughts on it. Also explains why Wolverine does work as a solo book. His background/personal life has been fleshed out enough to give a lot of great stories. He has friends and enemies that are unique to him.

That being said, I don't think there's any reason Marvel couldn't go to the trouble to really start fleshing out some individual characters and reward those characters with an ongoing series. I'd be curious how some of the solo X-Men books actually sold. Did they not get an ongoing series because they didn't sell well enough, or just because Marvel didn't commit?

benzino_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By benzino_x

@judasnixon said:

Second, I can't think of one X-man who has a villain, who isn't an over all X-men villain. We all Know Batman has a great rogue gallery. He can rock 6 books a month, and there is no shortage of bad guys to fight. Most X-men don't have one real arch-enemy. If Storm, Iceman, or Rogue had a solo series who would they fight? and would you give a $h!t about who they're fighting? Storm can only kick the Shadow King so many times in the taint, then what?

I understand the team origins of X-Men are the core reason for lack of series we are discussing here. Of course I agree with that. I just don't see why a talented writer could not create a supporting cast for a solo X series. First of all, the cast of 'lone riders' you are mentioning was created at some point too. Secondly, one could write a history books about the life of X-Men. I'm sure there is plenty material to use and build up on...

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blacharrt1

Sorry i posted this reply to G-Man in PM, and not in this forum:

But you can't really have an ongoing series if you don't invest in the characters that are developed. And that sir is the problem. Most of the Wolverine ongoing series that they write about is garbage, yet they keep writing it. With Other characters like Cyclops, or Storm, or Iceman or Angel who have been in comics just as long as wolverine have just as rich a background and a mythos to build good ongoing series on.

Kind of like Excalibur for example depending on how you look at it, it was really just a long ongoing Nightcrawler book. Another Example Exiles, was really more of a Blink's book than anything else, being that she for a long time was the actual main character from AoA. They built a long ongoing series around 1 character most missed in 616. Now if only someone took that creativity and imagination with other X-men characters there would be more diversity within the very large X-men family, and more characters who could hold their own ongoing series.

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By moneyspider1

How people can say that Storm, Rogue and a few others cannot carry their own solo books is beyond me. All you need is an excellent writer, an excellent writer and an excellent character. Let's take Storm, for instance: with her power set, she can easily carry her own book, and all a writer would have to do is create compelling villains for her to face. Plus, not only can she manipulate the weather, but she is supposed to be really good at hand-to-hand fighting. Let's take Rogue: give her her old powers back (I'm not sure if she currently has her old powers or not) and she could have her own solo book, just like Captain Marvel does. Just because characters debuted on teams does not mean they can never strike out on their own. And any fan or writer who think certain characters can ONLY exist in a team setting is restricting the characters. Comics should be about growth, not stagnation, which is one of the reasons why I have a problem with Storm being sent packing BACK to the X-Men in a team dynamic while NOT appearing ANYWHERE else in the Marvel Universe while Wolverine continues to run all over the Marvel Universe. The restrictions for characters who are not Wolverine are ridiculous beyond belief.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By judasnixon
    @bumpton: I still think there is no reason to give a X-man a solo series. If you have a great story about an individual X-man, you put that $h!t in a X-men comic. You don't have to have all the X-men in every issue. Peter David does it time to time in X-factor, and it works fine. As much as I may like Emma Frost, I can't see someone writing 38 issue about her, and keep it fresh, and their are readers out there who will not buy anything that is not a "main X-men tittle" because what happens in the other X-men tittles "doesn't count" what ever the $h!t that means.
    Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Raw_Material

I fully agree with your opinions on why X-Men character's don't have more solo titles and those that are "capable" to carry such weight on one series. However, on the writer's perspective, he/she has to wonder if that character his worth looking more into and write about. I also agree that the writer has to be one that is experienced and creative, who knows the character well enough to go back into the past and define his or her origins. X-Men will always be a team book, but like Wolverine some are able to carry their own titles and are worthy enough to be looked more in depths. Cyclops was originated from the X-Men and has no need to have his own title due to the fact that he is "X-Men". He's a mutant, "team player" that defines X-Men, although Wolverine has his own titles, he came about not as a mutant from birth, but as a test subject for a top secret government program and later on, found X-Men to be his rightful home. Which in terms, the writers were given a simple path to story line Wolverine, defining his past before his roles in X-Men including on-going adventures during his time on X-Men. Storm, don't really know much of the character, but seems to me that everyone enjoys her weather reports, enough for her to keep an on-going series. good enough for me, whatever. X-Men was formed to create superheroes and not as a top-notch team assembled to save the world from the biggest threats, unlike The Avengers. Keep up the great videos, bro!

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

You make me smile Tony...

obslord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By obslord

I think the major problem when it comes to establishing an ongoing series for a X-Men character, is the absence of the character in the team book. (and of course sometimes the lack of an supporting cast)

Take the Fantastic Four as an example. Every time one member of the team quits, it would be an opportunity for a ongoing solo series. But even if the solo series would work and sales figures would be ok everyone would know that it's only temporary, because the much larger fanbase of the F4-team book is already waiting for characters return. (And YES I know that Ben Grimm had his own series in the 80s)

Knowing that I would say the essential thing for most solo books would be to focus on the characters life while still being in the Team. Otherwise it would be like the death of a flagship character like Batman. Everyone would know that the resurrection is soon to happen. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and GL all have their own lifes and titels besides the JLA, so the X-Men member also needs to have a life apart from the team, because you can't just show the character running around the institute. So the solo character needs to have some special characteristics or abilities. Clark and Bruce of course have some liberties that many minor characters don't have. Flash and Superman have the abbility to pop in and out whenever they like and I think that is a great advange for a multiple series character. Therefore maybe Nightcrawler would be a fitting choice??

But of course there still is the problem with the supporting cast. Personaly I hate it when a character gets his own Mini-series and then the writers create tons of new supporting characters for that series. It's always like "I followed that guys adventures for decades now, so where do all this new guys suddenly come from?!?" Wolverine of course never had that problem. And that's not because of his great backstory. It's because of his whole Lone Wolf attitude. For an ongoing series of a more social X-men member I think only cameo appearances of other members would bridge the lack of an own supporting cast at least at the beginning.

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sharkbite

X-Men are comparible to the Teen Titans, while the Avengers are more akin to the Justice League, in terms of fan-base, storylines, and character breakdown.

Avengers/Justice League are filled with incredibly powerful characters who often support their own titles. X-Men / Teen Titans trend towards lower power level characters. They compete against top notch villains often by depending on their team synergy for victory. And the writers play to these lower power levels in that these teams see higher casualty rates. Titans and X-Men die more frequently than Avengers and League members. That element of risk in their efforts, the knowledge that not all members of their team are safe by virtue of starring in their own solo title, that adds a certain something more to the team, making them more exciting to the readers.

That's the difference. The roster for the X-Men and Titans is supposed to be more fluid; the team members should feel a bit more on the replaceable side. The risks they take is what makes them real heroes.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Funny but the two characters that first came to mind for solo book,s are Emma and Jean. Emma would be fun to see what she does outside of scott,s shadow. Jean I would love to see jean outside of the X books maybe have a series dealing with her role as the white phoenix and her quest to find the phoenix fragments.

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ALdragon17

I feel that the editors, writers, and producer go on trend and try something new. I feel its more what they like to see, than its business move. When they feel bored and throw it way evening when the crowd loves it, but the group who makes it is tried with it. It's clear on this that the numbers are there, but they trash it. Maybe, if the people who make it start to act up, that's when the company will kill it. I feel its more ego than a business move here.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tyrannotaur

I'm pretty sure Marvel has said Hope is going to be a reoccurring character in Cable's new X-force book. One of the reasons I'm getting that book.

X-23 had a great ongoing that was sadly cut down by Marvel for some reason.

I think the main reason why solo X-men books don't ever get made is because the X-men for whatever reason have always had their own corner of the Marvel universe. They usually deal with Mutant rights and enemies like Sentinels and Purifiers. I mean when do you ever see Captain America fighting Purifiers? For whatever reason these stories seem to work better when its told from the perspective of many members on a team rather than just one character. With AvX trying to break down the wall between the rest of the Marvel universe and the X-men I think we will start to see more X-men be given the chance to have a solo series. I'd love a Rogue series or another X-23 one. I think if there is a story to be told it can happen.

Wolverine is the rare gem that can fit into many different molds. He can be a solo hero, a samurai, an Avenger, and X-man, etc. I think Deadpool falls into that slot too, though I never considered him much of an X-man.

Hopefully we get more solo X-men books. I do love most of the current X-men team books out now though.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By charlieboy

I think Rogue can carry her own book. I have bought every solo title she has ever had. She got the bulk of the attention in X-men Legacy she can carry her own book. Dazzler has carried her own book before and I would love to see a new Dazz series. Kitty is another I would personally buy every month. I have bought all of her mini's as well. Nightcrawler would be cool as well if the would ever bring back the 616 Kurt.

TitanTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TitanTempest

DC heroes are well rounded and have multiple abilities in one hero. This allows them to have solo adventures because they can cover more bases independently. They are legendary and have their own Icons to define them. Icons are important they help define who a charter is, and helps the audience find who they like.

X-Men have their mutations, which is really cool, but they usually focus on one aspect or element of the wide array of abilities they could have. Wolverine works because he has a healing factor, adamantium claws, longevity ( which = history), and a rough personality. All of those give him his own symbol to give him individuality. He has the three claw marks to help define him and his signature. The other X men rely on the "X" symbol. The are bound by that symbol, and therefore must be on a team. If some of the X Men could create there own symbol and step away from the "X", then maybe just maybe they can form their own separate history.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@moneyspider1 said:

How people can say that Storm, Rogue and a few others cannot carry their own solo books is beyond me. All you need is an excellent writer, an excellent writer and an excellent character. Let's take Storm, for instance: with her power set, she can easily carry her own book, and all a writer would have to do is create compelling villains for her to face. Plus, not only can she manipulate the weather, but she is supposed to be really good at hand-to-hand fighting. Let's take Rogue: give her her old powers back (I'm not sure if she currently has her old powers or not) and she could have her own solo book, just like Captain Marvel does. Just because characters debuted on teams does not mean they can never strike out on their own. And any fan or writer who think certain characters can ONLY exist in a team setting is restricting the characters. Comics should be about growth, not stagnation, which is one of the reasons why I have a problem with Storm being sent packing BACK to the X-Men in a team dynamic while NOT appearing ANYWHERE else in the Marvel Universe while Wolverine continues to run all over the Marvel Universe. The restrictions for characters who are not Wolverine are ridiculous beyond belief.

Agreed on everything you stated. At th end of the day Wolverine was at least given a shot and had a writer who gave him a compelling background to build his character on. Storm is very well rounded character that I think can can carry her own solo if given a shot. She is still uber popular, she has an incredible and interesting power, an she has a whole set of other skills and abilities that can make for an interesting book. I agree with what G-Man said an the point you made in bold....a good enough writer can give Storm an excellent solo. Her powers and skillset lends to a lot of creativity, she has an interesting background that includes some existing x-villains with a personal history with her they could start with, and they can add more for her. I think she deserves a shot.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#40  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Awesome video G-Man!

The reason why I think that Wolverine was able to hold up his own solo series is because he had an interesting back story, which involved Weapon X and many writers were able to expand on that.  Also, Wolverine actually starred in the Incredible Hulk before he joined the X-Men, so he actually had a life before the X-Men that writers were able to expand on also.  You made a really good point about how Wolverine is the "odd" one in the X-Men since he had a rougher personality from the other X-Men and that really made him stand out as a character.

I think that the other X-Men characters could possibly hold up their own solo series if the right stories are told about them.  Some of the X-Men members like Storm and Gambit both had lives before the X-Men and those lives could have been expanded on also if the writers can come up with an interesting story that revolves around the X-Men's past histories.  Also, if the writers could put the other X-Men members in a situation that they are not normally seen in (such as having Colossus becoming a vigilante) that could help expand the other characters into other roles easily, like they have been doing with Wolverine for the past few years.

Some X-Men characters that I would like to see have their own solo series are:

Kitty Pryde
    Colossus
    Storm
    Nightcrawler

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tupiaz

First of all it is the team and the mutants against the world. Which means that if you read a X team book doesn't mean you care for all the characters. It is the outcast against society/hate. Avengers on the other hand has a lot of bigger heroes who when there is trouble they will help each other were X-Men is more a little community with the school and everything. X-men has a more team orientated book and it is only the lone wolfs like Gambit and Wolverine where a book seems logical. How many FF solo books do we see? Yeah The Thing has his own title from time to time; again he is the lone wolf in the family. But overall FF is a family like X-men also is a big family of outcast and many feel at home for their first time.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By hyenascar

Love x-men. I have an obsession, where I buy every trade I can. I have absolutely zero interest in solo books. It seems people on here are trying to defend the x-men on solo books when there is no need. As I feverishly collect the trades, any solos are ignored.

The stories in the x-men is this constant changing family of drama. I want to see the interactions of the characters more than any one character going on an adventure.

So of course it's time to look at exceptions. (Who's the hypocrite now?) (It's me right?)

The Cable series. It worked because of the dynamic between him and Hope. The four trades from the most recent Cable series went under the radar. The social dynamics between two characters, generally captivates me most of all. So, watching a grizzled war vet on the run with a baby. and becoming more and more fatherly to this child, as it grows up in the increasingly bleak future is hard to put down. It also helps knowing that somehow this is going to matter with the other X-books.

For me to be interested, it would have to have several x-men characters. (Not really a solo book) It would also have to matter in the x-men universe. (Also not a solo book idea)

Legion in Legacy. Well, strong opinions already exist. I pre-ordered the trade. The psychologically breakdown of schizophrenia is absolutely interesting. The fragmentation of your personality leaves the person in constant fear of one these personalities being or doing something truly awful. Well, with legion there is a whole other level of fear because of the mutant implications, where each personality has their own power. Although in the strictest sense it is a man vs. self story. (thus a solo book) Each of his selves are a fully fleshed out character that he deals with as much as any reoccurring character in any X-book. (So not solo?) Plus you see the X-men as they deal with him. As seen in New Mutants, he might be one of the most powerful beings in the universe, depending on which personality is in control. I want to see his interactions with the x-men. (So I want more team, less solo)

brucecapell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By brucecapell

Phoenix Endsong starring Jean sold pretty well (in the top 5) and the first two issues sold out. They tried to repeat the success with Phoenix Warsong that didn't included Jean and it flopped. Hope Summers had Generation Hope which was canceled due to low sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.