As someone new to the X-men comics I need some guidance

#1 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone I am pretty new to comics in general but especially to the X-men. I have been an X-men fan all my life but it was about time I started reading the comics because AvX got me interested. So hopefully you guys can answer some questions I have about whats currently happening in the X-men universe.

So the current X-men comics I am reading are Uncanny X-men, Wolverine and the X-men, and of course AvX (I've also read Avengers X-Sanction, and Second Coming since Cable is probably my favorite mutant and I wanted some backstory). Are there any other X-men comics I should start reading? I know there are a lot such as X-Factor, Uncanny X-Force, Astonishing X-men, X-Men Legacy, and I believe a couple more? Can one of you possibly give me some background on these comics and the base of them please? Like do some of these comics take place in alternate universes?

I have two last questions hopefully you guys can possibly help me out with. What has happened with Professor Xavier, and where is Rouge? Rouge is probably my 2nd favorite X-men behind cable, and she was Second Coming, but where is she now? Also where has Professor Xavier gone? He too was in Second Coming and if I remember correctly he was walking!

Hopefully you guys can help out a noobie ^_^ Your help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Force is just great. I recently started getting into it and wow the books have so much depth in them that I can ignore the fact that I don't really get Deadpools character.

X-Force is comprised of Psylocke, Wolverine, AOA Nightcrawler and Fantomex and they are basically a super secret squad that kills people of high risk. They are the group that does what has to be done to save the world...even if it doesn't look like a Disney movie at the end. I totally recommend it. The characters are great and the story is fantastic. I only wish I had jumped on a longgg time ago.

#3 Posted by ChocolateFrogs (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue has a pretty prominent role in X-Men Legacy, so reading that will give you some good Rogue action.

Astonishing X-Men has been kind of meh lately, but if you get the first few volumes of trade paperbacks, Joss Whedon wrote #1-24 and they're highly acclaimed.

I'm glad you're reading Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men! The latter is arguably the best X-title out right now.

#4 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue is in X-Men Legacy, along with Gambit, Frenzy and Rachel Grey. They don't occur in alternate universes, some do depending on an arc. Marvel has a "floating timeline" meaning you are going to have to take some liberties about what happens when. Uncanny X-Force is awesome, Psylocke, Wolverine, Fantomex, Deapool and now AoA Nightcrawler head that series.

#5 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

So do any of these comics take place in alternate universes or they are all happening at the same time?

Thanks I really appreciate the help

#6 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaliSweeper: All at the same time I suggest trying each X title and picking maybe 3 or 4 you want to follow. If you like Storm X-Men is her team book, Legacy as mentioned is Rouge's, Uncanny and Wolverine and the X-Men are probably the only essential titles, but there is also X-Factor, New Mutants, Uncanny X-Force, Astonishing X-Men, and Generation Hope. Welcome to the world of X-Men now be prepared to spend money. If that seems a bit overwhelming Ultimate X-Men is almost 10 issues in and is alt universe, the first trade should be coming out soon and the series has been pretty good from what I've read of it.

#7 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

So I am going to pick up X-men Legacy at issue #259 because that looks like around the time that Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and the X-men start, which is right after schism I believe. I am also a big fan of Gambit so now I'll be reading at least those 3, X-men Legacy, Uncanny X-men, and Wolverine and the X-men.

I really appreciate your response, but now it has arisen a new question from me. I thought storm was apart of Cyclops uncanny x-men team? what do you mean she has her own team book? Is she apart of the "extinction team" in uncanny x-men, AND she leads her own x-men team??

haha I am so interested in comics now I am going to go broke >_<

#8 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaliSweeper: She leads a security team with Psylocke, Domino,Warpath, and Colossus. Jubilee was also a member, but just left. Its a good read if your a fan of any member of the team.

#9 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaliSweeper: I read pretty much all of them so should be able to help...

• Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men are the big two so I'd carry on with them.
  • Uncanny X-Force is Wolverine's secret hit squad which takes on some of the biggest threats in the Marvel Universe. It's 24 issues in, and as much as I'd like to say just jump on here, you really should go back and read it all. Some of the best stuff to come out of any comics company in years. The lineup consists of Wolverine, Psylocke, Deadpool, Fantomex and Archangel (recently replaced by AoA Nightcrawler.)
  • Another must read is X-Factor. X-Factor is a detective agency that does pretty much anything as long as you have the money, and consits of Madrox, Layla Miller, Strong Guy, Siryn, M, Longshot, Shatterstar, Havok, Polaris, Rictor and Wolfsbane. What makes this title great is the character interaction, the banter and the distinct voices of each character make it a joy to read. Very well written and I'd suggest this along with Uncanny X-Force as the next two X-Men titles you pick up. (Start from 224.1)
  • You also have X-Men Legacy, which focuses on Rogue and her relationship's with the children as Wolverine's school. It's decent, but is very much in the same vain as Wolverine and the X-Men so I'd maybe take a pass on this one, and certainly wouldn't take it ahead of the two titles I mentioned above. Gambit and Freny also have a prominent role.
  • Astonishing X-Men is trash. A new writer just took over so I had high hopes but it really isn't very good, they even got character's names wrong.
  • New Mutants focuses on a small squad (Warlock, Dani Moonstar, X-Man, Cypher, Sunspot and Magma) in San Francisco away from Utopia. Not terrible but not outstanding either, you should probably avoid.
  • Generation Hope focused on Hope and the five lights (first mutants since M-Day.) It was recently cancelled and wasn't that great so there's no need to go back and read it.
  • Wolverine focuses on...Wolverine. It's just starting anew under Cullen Bunn. Not essential and again you should probably avoid unless you really like Wolverine.
  • X-Men focuses on Storm, Jubilee, Warpath, Domino and Psylocke. This is Utopia's 'Security squad.' They go off on non-consequential missions that you really don't need to read. It's pretty terrible but will be getting a new writer soon. Completely non-essential.
  • Gambit will be getting his own solo title this summer, can't say too much about it as it's not out yet.

This all takes place in the same universe.

• Then there's Age of Apocalypse which is an alternate reality where Proffeser X failed and Apocalypse succeded so things are pretty bad. Jean Grey and Sabretooth are the only major X-Men characters on the team and they've been depowered. It's good but could get a little confusing and again isn't very essential.
  • And lastly Ultimate X-Men, again things are completely different here as it's another universe but is completely isolated from the others. (You might see dimensional travel from the X-books you read into AoA, but they'll never go to the ultimate universe.) Avoid.
  • X-treme X-Men is a new series starting soon, more multi dimensional crazyness you can probably do without.

Think that's all of them, can't think of any more of the top of my head anyway. You NEED to read Uncanny X-Force and X-Factor, not so much for continuity, they're just really well written, enjoyable books. If you like Rogue you might want to check out Legacy too. Those along with Wolverine and the X-Men/ Uncanny X-Men will leave you in good stead. The rest you can avoid.

Rogue has been in space with her small team. She's recently returned and is now teaching as Wolverine's school. Charles is off doing his own thing, he does have a small cameo in Wolverine and the X-Men #1 though.

Hopefully that answers everything, don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

#10 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I would agree Uncanny X-Force and X-Factor.

#11 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee: omg dude you are freaking awesome! thank you so much for everything ^_^

I will definitely also be picking up Uncanny X-force then since I am a fan of Psylocke and Deadpool. For X-factor the only name that I am familiar with is Havok, but I will definitely pick up a couple of issues to check it out.

I do have one last question though, who has Psylocke sided with after Schism? The reason I ask is because she is apart of Storm's team in X-men(I believe storm sided with cyclops/ is maybe unsure?), but she is also apart of Wolverine's team in Uncanny X-force.

Honestly thank you guys so much I REALLY appreciate all the help, and advice because it's kind of intimidating not knowing where to start.

#12 Edited by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaliSweeper: You're welcome, I only started reading again around a year ago so I know how crazy it can be to find out what's going on and where to start.

Psylocke was on Uncanny X-Force prior to schism. Then schism happens and Wolverine asks her to come to New York, and she says she needs to stay on Utopia (I think she said she has no place around the children, or something to that effect anyway,) but will continue to help Logan with the whole X-Force thing because the work they do is so important. So...both I guess but I'd say she chose Scott.

And yes Storm went with Scott, she was going to go with Logan but Scott begged her to stay and said he needed her on Utopia.

#13 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee said:

@CaliSweeper: I read pretty much all of them so should be able to help...

• Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men are the big two so I'd carry on with them.
  • Uncanny X-Force is Wolverine's secret hit squad which takes on some of the biggest threats in the Marvel Universe. It's 24 issues in, and as much as I'd like to say just jump on here, you really should go back and read it all. Some of the best stuff to come out of any comics company in years. The lineup consists of Wolverine, Psylocke, Deadpool, Fantomex and Archangel (recently replaced by AoA Nightcrawler.)
  • Another must read is X-Factor. X-Factor is a detective agency that does pretty much anything as long as you have the money, and consits of Madrox, Layla Miller, Strong Guy, Siryn, M, Longshot, Shatterstar, Havok, Polaris, Rictor and Wolfsbane. What makes this title great is the character interaction, the banter and the distinct voices of each character make it a joy to read. Very well written and I'd suggest this along with Uncanny X-Force as the next two X-Men titles you pick up. (Start from 224.1)
  • You also have X-Men Legacy, which focuses on Rogue and her relationship's with the children as Wolverine's school. It's decent, but is very much in the same vain as Wolverine and the X-Men so I'd maybe take a pass on this one, and certainly wouldn't take it ahead of the two titles I mentioned above. Gambit and Freny also have a prominent role.
  • Astonishing X-Men is trash. A new writer just took over so I had high hopes but it really isn't very good, they even got character's names wrong.
  • New Mutants focuses on a small squad (Warlock, Dani Moonstar, X-Man, Cypher, Sunspot and Magma) in San Francisco away from Utopia. Not terrible but not outstanding either, you should probably avoid.
  • Generation Hope focused on Hope and the five lights (first mutants since M-Day.) It was recently cancelled and wasn't that great so there's no need to go back and read it.
  • Wolverine focuses on...Wolverine. It's just starting anew under Cullen Bunn. Not essential and again you should probably avoid unless you really like Wolverine.
  • X-Men focuses on Storm, Jubilee, Warpath, Domino and Psylocke. This is Utopia's 'Security squad.' They go off on non-consequential missions that you really don't need to read. It's pretty terrible but will be getting a new writer soon. Completely non-essential.
  • Gambit will be getting his own solo title this summer, can't say too much about it as it's not out yet.

This all takes place in the same universe.

• Then there's Age of Apocalypse which is an alternate reality where Proffeser X failed and Apocalypse succeded so things are pretty bad. Jean Grey and Sabretooth are the only major X-Men characters on the team and they've been depowered. It's good but could get a little confusing and again isn't very essential.
  • And lastly Ultimate X-Men, again things are completely different here as it's another universe but is completely isolated from the others. (You might see dimensional travel from the X-books you read into AoA, but they'll never go to the ultimate universe.) Avoid.
  • X-treme X-Men is a new series starting soon, more multi dimensional crazyness you can probably do without.

Think that's all of them, can't think of any more of the top of my head anyway. You NEED to read Uncanny X-Force and X-Factor, not so much for continuity, they're just really well written, enjoyable books. If you like Rogue you might want to check out Legacy too. Those along with Wolverine and the X-Men/ Uncanny X-Men will leave you in good stead. The rest you can avoid.

Rogue has been in space with her small team. She's recently returned and is now teaching as Wolverine's school. Charles is off doing his own thing, he does have a small cameo in Wolverine and the X-Men #1 though.

Hopefully that answers everything, don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Detailed analysis... I think this should be the starter page for each new-comer!!

#14 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine and the X-Men are the best titles, currently.

#15 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee: Thanks so much, I have no more questions pretty much! I feel like I am really informed now.

#16 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee: Alright I have a new question that has popped up concerning Uncanny X-force. So I am going to start at #19, then there is #19.1. So does 19.1 relate to any of the other Uncanny X-force issues I mean from 20-24? From the looks of it, 19.1 is just a prelude/leads into Age of Apocalypse and is irrelevant to the main uncanny x-force story going on atm. The reason I think it is irrelevant is because Age of Apocalypse is in an alternate reality, so is that correct?

#17 Edited by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaliSweeper: Yep it's basically issue 0 of Age of Apocalypse so you can skip it. Think it was just to get UXF readers to buy AoA.

#18 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

AoA only makes sense if youve read the original 1995 Age of Apocalypse, which takes place over 8 mini-series, each 4 issues long, plus Alpha, Omega, and a few misc issues, with another 6 issues somewhere along the lines.

But if you have OCD when it comes to full sets, the go ahead and get it.

My Recommendations:

Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men, for the sake of main universe continuity, and WaTXM is brilliant

Uncanny X-Force is really good, and you should try to pick up some of the earlier issues too, they are better than 20 - 24, better art.

X-Men, not important, and IMO should avoid some of the storylines, especially the vampire arcs, i dont like them. but in general fun to read with all the crossover heroes.

New Mutants, i pick it up, but thats because im a sucker for the original 1980s New Mutants and Cypher/ Warlock is probably one of my favourite X-Men duo

Gen Hope. there is a reason why its cancelled

X-Men Legacy, very well written, you should pick it up as it does have some AvX continuity

X-Factor, i dont read it, but i hear its pretty good

Wolverine, some great art work, and storylines from what i hear, but i dont pick it up

Ultimate X-Men, i never liked the Ultimate universe, has no real connection to the other 616 world books

Astonishing X-Men, the earlier run was great, 1 - 24, but then, from there, i slowly began to have my doubts and dropped it entirely

I am going out of my way to say this (mainly because its not in the right thread), but you should REALLY pick up Daredevil, it. is. brilliant.

#19 Posted by CaliSweeper (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee: alright thanks just making sure because I don't see myself getting into AoA atm I just spent $90 on comics lol and plus spending about $10 weekly/bi weekly now to continue reading

Thanks for the input ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.