Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Are these X-Men comics from the 90s and 80s bad or good?

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jonny1995

I'm sort of new to the X-Men comics but I have been reading the "The Dark Phoenix Saga" and "Age of Apocalypse" stories and I have been interested in reading some of the X-Men stories from the 90s.

The storylines I'm interested in reading are: X-Cutioner's Song, Operation: Zero Tolerance, and X-Tinction Agenda.

But I have heard from X-Men fans that they had mixed feelings about them. I was wondering if they are good or not.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#2  Edited By time1

@jonny1995 said:

I'm sort of new to the X-Men comics but I have been reading the "The Dark Phoenix Saga" and "Age of Apocalypse" stories and I have been interested in reading some of the X-Men stories from the 90s.

The storylines I'm interested in reading are: X-Cutioner's Song, Operation: Zero Tolerance, and X-Tinction Agenda.

But I have heard from X-Men fans that they had mixed feelings about them. I was wondering if they are good or not.

I considers the early 1990's a great period in X-Men comics. It was time when the X-Men were one of the most popular teams in comics. They were in there prime back then. Far more popular than Avengers and even the Justice League.

X-Cutioner's Song was great story arc. I can't remember the Operation: Zero Tolerance story arc. X-Tinction Agenda was a story arc from the 1980's.

If your going to read this stories from the 1990's. Read the early's 1990's

Read these two titles

Uncanny X-Men (Gold Team)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

X-Men( Blue Team) Although read this series from X-Men 1.

The X-Force was also a great series

No Caption Provided

Wolverine series was also good

No Caption Provided

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jonny1995

@time: Thanks. I've also been interested in reading the series that was written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Jim Lee.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#4  Edited By time1

@time: Thanks. I've also been interested in reading the series that was written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Jim Lee.

Chris Claremont left the X-Men in the 1990's. He only wrote the story arc below. The early 90's were good.

No Caption Provided

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jonny1995:

The early 90s are pretty lack lust. Chris Claremont, the guy who brought the X-Men into significance to begin with left the book and the writers that succeeded him were trying to somewhat emulate his style while doing different things, and couldn't really pull it off. Then the books quality gradually went down hill from there until brought back to relevance by Grant Morrison in 2001.

The best X-Men related material is definitely from 1980 through 1987, then comes the "Outback Era" and "disassemble and rebirth era" which are both an acquired taste.

I would also recommend reading the New Mutants along with the early 80s X-Men books, as they intertwine perfectly. Its like reading a novel. Unfortunately, after a while Claremont leaves New Mutants and it turns to crud, so just read the first 43 issues or so.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jonny1995

@time: I've also been interested in reading that trade for a while.

Thanks for the recommendations.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly the 90s were cool to look at, I mean the line ups are pure awesome and the covers were good. But the stories were probably even more "wordy" then the 80's with less quality to back them. Personally i'm a mid 00's kinda guy, but the mid to late 80's are a second favorite.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought all 3 of these stories were decent to good, with X-Tinction Agenda being the best among them.

ReddKnave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReddKnave

X-Tinction Agenda was good, of course, Claremont and Jim Lee... but so was X-Cutioner's Song. And Jae Lee's work was outstanding to me. I love his angular, grimy, dark style. Zero Tolerance... honestly don't remember much.

Also... this image is the $#!+

No Caption Provided

Long Live Jim Lee...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.