Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Are there any x-men who are transgender?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moywar700

Are there any? Shapeshifters don't count

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

Not that I know of..... There should be though the X-Men are always first to strike when it comes to diversity

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Nudeviking

@moywar700:

The "shape-shifters don't count" thing makes it hard. Xavin from Runaways was a shape-shifter (Skrull) who identified as a male but was usually in a female form because his girlfriend was a lesbian...so I don't know if that counts or not. Not really an X-Men book anyway so...

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

so you're asking if there are any ex-men, amirite?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By moywar700

@The Man of Yesteryear said:

so you're asking if there are any ex-men, amirite?

i see what you did there

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Are there any characters in comics that are actually transgendered? (And not Skrulls they don't count)

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By moywar700
    moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By moywar700

bump

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hectorsquall
    No Caption Provided
    Thirteen13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thirteen13
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By papad1992

How about Courier?

Courier/Jacob Carwin Jr.
    Courier/Jacob Carwin Jr.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By fodigg

If they were to introduce a trans character, would people prefer they do it with a new character or a "reveal" for an existing character? As in, "Hey Boom Boom, why are you going into the men's room?" kinda thing.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg

@aztek_the_lost said:

@fodigg said:

If they were to introduce a trans character, would people prefer they do it with a new character or a "reveal" for an existing character? As in, "Hey Boom Boom, why are you going into the men's room?" kinda thing.

I think that's actually an interesting question, while it's considered cheap to make a character homosexual, I feel like this could be pulled off...as long as the origin wasn't established (at least not in terms of gender) which does limit things but for example, you could technically make Joker a transsexual and there would be no existing history that could conflict with this

True. Although I'd worry about unfortunate implications of doing this with a villain rather than a hero.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blood1991

@aztek_the_lost: Dude read the Killing Joke... Then again the Joker is wacko so no gurantee thats his ACCTUAL orgin, but its an awesome book all the same.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fodigg

@aztek_the_lost said:

@fodigg said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@fodigg said:

I think that's actually an interesting question, while it's considered cheap to make a character homosexual, I feel like this could be pulled off...as long as the origin wasn't established (at least not in terms of gender) which does limit things but for example, you could technically make Joker a transsexual and there would be no existing history that could conflict with this

True. Although I'd worry about unfortunate implications of doing this with a villain rather than a hero.

well he's the only character I can think of that is really popular but has no origin...I'm sure there are others, although I don't see why LGBT characters can't be villains, that does bring up an interesting point...are there villainous gays? (I can't think of any off the top of my head)

Yes, there are mountains of gay villains (or at least, sissy villains) in multiple forms of media, most notably in cinema (e.g., Silence of the Lambs, Stargate, Dune, 3:10 To Yuma, The Powerpuff Girls, Braveheart, The Island of Dr. Moreau, Rob Roy, The Lion King, countless anime.)

"The Flaming Homo Bad Guy only has one goal in life, to be gayer and more evil than anybody else. If he sees a guy in a salmon-colored shirt and white khakis clubbing a baby seal, the Flaming Homo Bad Guy will put on a pink tutu, gather up some baby seals, kittens and puppies and rent a wood chipper."
    — Cracked.com, "Hollywood's 6 Favorite Offensive Stereotypes"

That's the problem, it's stereotypical and overdone to the point where being effeminate or gay is used as a black hat, implying they are signs of evilness. Of course, anything can be done well, but at this point it'd have to be really, really good in order to overcome my usual reaction of "oh not this again."

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blood1991

@aztek_the_lost: Well the new 52 rewrites it all anyway, but I thought that was an excellent orgin story for an excellent character. Shame they didn't stick to it and Batgirl getting shot was scarring... Almost as Scarring as those creepy clown things..

I think we are officially off topic.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fodigg

@aztek_the_lost said:

@fodigg: I was talking about comics, there's not a single gay villain in comics mentioned on that page...in fact I'm kind of confused how those are the best qualifiers for sissies

There are times when Joker is portrayed as "swishy" and effeminate. They even did so in the Dark Knight. Manga is full of androgynous villains.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fodigg

Just thought of a trans comics character, the Sir Ystin, the Shining Knight, from the Seven Soldiers of Victory and the Demon Knights is a cross-dressing woman who self-identifies as male. Not the X-Men certainly, but a little more mainstream than some of the other examples on this thread. His first appearance was in Seven Soldiers: Shining Knight #1 (May, 2005).

I haven't read everything with him, so I'm not sure if his orientation has been established.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Silver_Raven

Great topic. I wish there were any. Cuz i would be their number one fan. That's maybe be why i love shapeshifters their physical forms are fluid and malleable.

I remember creating a trans female character based on myself for another thread on the X-boards. Who was a darkforce shapeshifter.

But if i were to suggest a character who could come out as trans, why not Transonic!? She could have undergone her transition before becoming a mutant. And her name already fits the bill.

She's new and open to interpretation.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By poisonfleur

Would Masque be considered Transgendered? I don't know if anyone mentioned this. Because in X-treme X-men: Storm - The Arena, Masque was a lady instead of his ugly man counterpart.

@Blood1991 said:

Not that I know of..... There should be though the X-Men are always first to strike when it comes to diversity

I agree with this^ Hopefully it will be a cool character too. Like Poison from Capcom.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By moywar700

what if Emma Frost was transgender?That camel toe could be something else.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By umbrafeline

@moywar700 said:

what if Emma Frost was transgender?That camel toe could be something else.

hmm... interesting, interesting. yes i think it could work. emma already has scott wrapped around her little finger so why not huh?

but what about those who are intersexed?

what about danger? it looks female in appearance but is it mind-setted as one? meaning danger acts, thinks, feels, etc... as a female but could be anatomically male

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

yes Emma Frost.

:)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

They still don't have any trans X-Men, do they? Shining Knight's our mascot forever? HAS DC WON?!

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@moywar700: Mystique, maybe. Chris Claremont apparently originally conceived Mystique would be Rogue's biological father and Destiny the mother. When that didn't fly with editorial, we got surrogacy.

The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Emma Frost and Iceman once swapped bodies. That's the only closest thing I can think of.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.