Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Are Scott and Jean still married?

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My classic X-Men history is a bit lacking, but the last time Jean died(Endsong/Warsong), they were still married, weren't they...

Are they still married because they never got divorced or anything...

Also, of Jean were to come back and see Scott, would she divorce him???

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By HolySerpent

No they are not married, she's dead.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Scott is widowed :3

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lol technically Maddie died and is back so technically he's married to her

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Now I understand why the SHIELD wants arrest Scott: he is bigamous! :-D

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no legal precident for a dead spouse returning to life....so since Jean (and Maddie) would have been pronounced dead Scott would not be married anymore, even if she were to return.

That said...with how common resurrections and returns are in the Marvel U, I would not be surprised if they actually did have some law on the books for that situation. Would be fairly amusing.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EC2277

Maybe in the Marvel Universe the death certificate is temporary, so like the last will.

I wonder how their juridical system would act, if the victim of an homicide resurrects.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no legal precident for a dead spouse returning to life....so since Jean (and Maddie) would have been pronounced dead Scott would not be married anymore, even if she were to return.

That said...with how common resurrections and returns are in the Marvel U, I would not be surprised if they actually did have some law on the books for that situation. Would be fairly amusing.

Well i dont know if this is real but in the soap opera "the bold and the beautiful" taylor died in '93 and was married to a guy named ridge and came back to life a year later and he married someone else and the judge ruled that his first marriage was valid. also she died while married to him in 2002 and came back to life in 2006 and the marriage was still valid.

anyways i guess marvel and the x-men ignore it cause its easier that way and besides we all know maddie will die again and jean is still dead. if adult jean come back alive and doesnt die like in endsong then i think there marriage would still be valid. also it would be funny that emma would be his mistress, lol.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UHypocrite
    Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Marriage, til death do us part.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If a death certificate was issued, (which it would be because a funeral couldn't be performed without it) the marriage is null and void. The surviving spouse has every right to pursue another matrimonial partner, regardless if the deceased were to return to life. If they petitioned to strike the death certificate from record, then the marriage can be considered intact (hypothetically). Leaving things unaddressed is the modus operandi in the comics world, it seems.

It does bring up an interesting problem in terms of last wills and testaments.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

If a death certificate was issued, (which it would be because a funeral couldn't be performed without it) the marriage is null and void. The surviving spouse has every right to pursue another matrimonial partner, regardless if the deceased were to return to life. If they petitioned to strike the death certificate from record, then the marriage can be considered intact (hypothetically).Leaving things unaddressed is the modus operandi in the comics world, it seems.

It does bring up an interesting problem in terms of last wills and testaments.

exactly what i thought

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: are you actually a lawyer or do you always talk like this >_>

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: Haha, no, not a lawyer. I do work in the legal profession, though. I do all the heavy lifting to make the people I work for look really, really good in court. (:P)

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Older Jean is dead.

Younger Jean is single

Young Scott went with his father

Older Scott is no longer with Emma.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: What makes this question even cooler is that the previously deceased needs to have that death certificate stricken for lots of boring reasons like tax revenue and property ownership. So, Jean has to pursue that if she intends to be a citizen of any given country and that would conceivably make the marriage between her and Scott still valid. Plus, was there a prenuptial agreement in place? This might explain why Marvel was never willing to have Scott get married again after the Maddie fiasco. Maddie is living off the grid so I don't think she cares if her death certificate stands (kind of fitting for her), but in Jean's situation, it's not a good thing.

Hear that, Bendis? You've got a major story arc you can play with here! Imagine how long you can drag out this legal drama in both Uncanny and All New!

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: What makes this question even cooler is that the previously deceased needs to have that death certificate stricken for lots of boring reasons like tax revenue and property ownership. So, Jean has to pursue that if she intends to be a citizen of any given country and that would conceivably make the marriage between her and Scott still valid. Plus, was there a prenuptial agreement in place? This might explain why Marvel was never willing to have Scott get married again after the Maddie fiasco. Maddie is living off the grid so I don't think she cares if her death certificate stands (kind of fitting for her), but in Jean's situation, it's not a good thing.

Hear that, Bendis? You've got a major story arc you can play with here! Imagine how long you can drag out this legal drama in both Uncanny and All New!

also now that jean is dead, it explains why scott didnt marry emma yet

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Isn't Emma the type of person who wouldn't get into a life time commitment with a person she loves, no matter HOW much she loves them???

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Isn't Emma the type of person who wouldn't get into a life time commitment with a person she loves, no matter HOW much she loves them???

i guess we have to wait and see. also there was the 100th x-men anniversary special, where she was scott's long time off again/on again girlfriend and she married him.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Ah! so you do work for a legal firm. That explains your writing style. ^_^

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to get off-topic or anything but did you guys know that Longshot and Dazzler are still married? I just found that out on Marvel wiki today. We have not seen them together since who knows when..........I mean in Nation X:X-Factor, we saw them having sex repeatedly and Dazzler was seen interacting with Longshot in his miniseries Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe. I guess they no longer see each other as husband and wife and they properly never gotten a divorce. So it is official that they are still married..........legally. Hope that they mention this in any upcoming stories.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to get off-topic or anything but did you guys know that Longshot and Dazzler are still married? I just found that out on Marvel wiki today. We have not seen them together since who knows when..........I mean in Nation X:X-Factor, we saw them having sex repeatedly and Dazzler was seen interacting with Longshot in his miniseries Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe. I guess they no longer see each other as husband and wife and they properly never gotten a divorce. So it is official that they are still married..........legally. Hope that they mention this in any upcoming stories.

marvel wiki is wrong in x-me eve of destruction dazzler mentions that she divorced him and didn't want to talk about it

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.