Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Angela Bassett in Green Lantern but turns down Storm?

Avatar image for mistressoftheelements
    MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not to beat a dead horse or anything but since I was a girl and when I pictured actors playing the roles of my favorite x-Men I always thought

Patrick Stewart as Professor X

Tom Cruise as Cyclops

Sean Connery as Magneto

And

Angela Bassett as Storm

Now only one of my dream cast actually made it in the films but when I found out that Angela was actually approached for the role I was kind of sad she didn't take it. However I thought Halle did an okay job I always pictured AB nailing the lines Halle kind of struggled with. But I just assumed AB didn't want to ever do a "superhero movie" because of the kiddish conotations but this year when I seen her as a scientist in the GL film trailer it left me scratching my head in confusion. Why would she choose some random scientist in a superhero film but not arguably the most famous black superheroine ever?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Maybe she doesn't like Storm?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Maybe she saw comic book movies as this childish thing and turned down Storm, and then realized how big they were with movies like Iron Man and The Dark Knight, and decided that she could get in on the action with Green Lantern.

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or maybe she bumped her head (jk)

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the time super hero movies weren't like they are now...she probably had no idea how lucrative they would become.

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump It Up!

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't bump threads. If no one is responding... maybe it's not an interesting topic.

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ctg: But don't you do the same?Right...

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angella Basset is the perfect actor for Amanda Waller IMHO. Don't think she makes a good Storm though...

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigtewell

@mistressoftheelements: well xmen was kinda the first comic book movie that was a big success. up until it comic movies were always cheesy and were made fun of. so im sure she just didnt want to be part of a movie she thought was goingto be bad. irony is tho xmen was good and she thought its going to be bad and green lantern was bad (im a huge gl fan) but she thought itd be good. but really shawn connery for magneto? while hes a great character i think magneto needs to be more intimidating than sophisticated

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems that Angela Bassett is very selective because she can afford to be, and won't jump at a role just because she's on fan-based wish lists for the cast. Maybe the casting agents went to Halle Berry first and Angela Bassett either refused the role because she wasn't the first choice or the money wasn't right considering the work that would be involved. A lot of "dream casts" that are put together by fans are ridiculous because it would be extremely expensive to have that many big name actors and actresses in one movie. It's quite a challenge to have a script where big name actors/actresses technically earn less, appear less and speak less than relative unknowns like Hugh Jackman at the time. Also, she might have looked over the script and seen that the role would be very minimal and decided to pass it over. Last but not least: timing is not always right - Angela Bassett was working on two different films and a play that year, so we know she was very busy. We know that she turned down the role that Halle Berry won an Award for in "Monsters Ball" because of the sexual elements, so she's pretty selective and there is a bit of history for that year where Halle won kudos for roles Angela passed over. If you remember the marketing blitz, Patrick Stewart was the big "get" - once it was announced that he would play Professor X, it seemed that half the battle was done on the casting side. Halle Berry's casting was well-received, but it seemed like getting the right Wolverine was the second most important casting decision.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Dora is spanish..And she too old for that role lmao!

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hale Berry has not done anything memorable for the character. Well to be fair that maybe be mostly the writer's fault but visually she is too petite for what should be such a strong character. She looks good on screen but not right. At least not for me. Bassett has strong features. With just a glance she evokes a seriousness that I don't see in Berry. Is it just me? Do I have a bad memory?

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.