All Female X Men

#1 Posted by RizeOracle (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone else heard about this enigmatic 'all female' X Men title to debut in April? As far as I can ascertain, the series will simply be called 'X Men' (with no preceding adjective).

I noticed it on the Forbidden Planet webpage, but there seems to be little other information. Sadly, it appears Jean Grey will not be starring, the role instead going to her daughter. (Though the anti Jeanists will be pleased to hear it, if recent posts are anything to go by).

Sounds good though, finally a series without Wolverine! Any thoughts?

#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7201 posts) - - Show Bio

Best thing to happen since Morrison.

#3 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Best thing to happen since Whedon.

#4 Posted by Chaos Prime (10589 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds Good

#5 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds promising.

#6 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@RizeOracle:

I'm actually really glad they didn't call it X-women; these are X-men, every one of them. Plus that title would definitely write them into a corner, eventually.

I'm also actually glad they went with this line up; besides being an all-star cast, these characters were all main characters at different points throughout the 80's, which gives the team a very distinct and definitive flavour -I actually noticed that before anything else, so this may be one time when I feel that newer characters might have watered it down..

As far as how many other books these characters are in, I could really care less. This is probably the only X-book I'll read where any of these characters get any proper focus.

And, honestly, the creative team alone has me interested. Wood has already shown he has a much better grasp on many of these characters than most writers, especially Storm, which is enough to get me excited.

#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Sneak a couple of the younger female X-Men characters in for certain arcs and this could be the best X-Book. Maybe Surge or Mercury not all the time but occasionally.

#8 Posted by Mutant God (2998 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care for Jubilee on the team

#9 Posted by RizeOracle (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: I'm kinda glad they didn't call it 'X Women' as well... though I think a preceding adjective might have been useful to help distinguish it from other X titles. It should be good. Not that I typically read much X Men, but definately plan to take a look at this. What's more, I have wanted to read about Psylocke for some time; she looks like a good character, but I don't know that much about her.

Two qualms from looking at this cover. Firstly, where is Jean? I know, I know, loads of people hate Jean, but is she was the original X Woman! Also, what, prey tell, is going on with Storm's hair?!

#10 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

@RizeOracle said:

@dangallant984: I'm kinda glad they didn't call it 'X Women' as well... though I think a preceding adjective might have been useful to help distinguish it from other X titles. It should be good. Not that I typically read much X Men, but definately plan to take a look at this. What's more, I have wanted to read about Psylocke for some time; she looks like a good character, but I don't know that much about her.

Two qualms from looking at this cover. Firstly, where is Jean? I know, I know, loads of people hate Jean, but is she was the original X Woman! Also, what, prey tell, is going on with Storm's hair?!

Storm had Wolverine help her shave her head in the new Uncanny X-Force. I guess she's going back to her 80's mohawk look to be more edgy. Jean is kinda crucial in the All-New X-Men so we don't need her in this book too. Psylocke is also in Uncanny X-Force with Storm if you're interested in reading more about her.

#11 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Please dont hate Jean. Hate the writers instead.

#12 Edited by IllyanaRasputin (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

I will definitely pick up this title. AND I'm glad that neither Emma or Jean are in this series. Love both female characters but it's time to let the other girls shine and I think having these women in one book will be good for each of them. That being said I wish they didn't choose to add Jubilee I'd much rather have seen Pixie in this series. I loved hers and Storms relationship in the previous X-Men series, and she was growing as a character. Now she's stuck in limbo :( dislike.

#13 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to it.

#14 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@IllyanaRasputin said:

I will definitely pick up this title. AND I'm glad that neither Emma or Jean are in this series. Love both female characters but it's time to let the other girls shine and I think having these women in one book will be good for each of them. That being said I wish they didn't choose to add Jubilee I'd much rather have seen Pixie in this series. I loved hers and Storms relationship in the previous X-Men series, and she was growing as a character. Now she's stuck in limbo :( dislike.

There's no doubt in my mind that Pixie will be in this book eventually, but I like that they started with this cast as the impetus or basis for this team.

#15 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@IllyanaRasputin said:

I will definitely pick up this title. AND I'm glad that neither Emma or Jean are in this series. Love both female characters but it's time to let the other girls shine and I think having these women in one book will be good for each of them. That being said I wish they didn't choose to add Jubilee I'd much rather have seen Pixie in this series. I loved hers and Storms relationship in the previous X-Men series, and she was growing as a character. Now she's stuck in limbo :( dislike.

There's no doubt in my mind that Pixie will be in this book eventually, but I like that they started with this cast as the basis for this team.

No not Pixie.....or X-23....can't we have Surge, Mercury, Dust or Loa?

#16 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

No not Pixie.....or X-23....can't we have Surge, Mercury, Dust or Loa?

I wouldn't mind seeing Mercury, Dust, or Loa either.

#17 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC: I feel if they had Surge, Mercury Dust or even Loa the writers would treat them like students and not actually treat them as peers to the "X-Men". However they did begin to treat Pixie like she was at par with them. (even though she's younger than most of the females I just listed). But it would be nice to see those girls make some cameos in the series, I am missing Surge! She was one of my favourite new recruits. Marvel make us happy and relaunch an New X-Men series! :D

#18 Edited by RizeOracle (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you to PrinceIMC to explaining Storm's mohawk... gotta say, not a fan.

As for chocobojam's post. Hey, I'm with you. Big Jean Grey fan, I've just noticed that she seems to get a lot of hatred. I guess a lot of writers have misused her character over the years.

I am also pleased that Emma Frost isn't in it, but I am a bit gutted that Jean is not, though I take the point that she is in the 'All New XMen'. I do think that she would be better in this series than Rachel or Jubilee though.

#19 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7201 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Pixie and Roxanne Washington (along with some some other ff female heroes) will be appearing in the first issue.

Win.

#20 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1052 posts) - - Show Bio

@RizeOracle said:

Thank you to PrinceIMC to explaining Storm's mohawk... gotta say, not a fan.

As for chocobojam's post. Hey, I'm with you. Big Jean Grey fan, I've just noticed that she seems to get a lot of hatred. I guess a lot of writers have misused her character over the years.

I am also pleased that Emma Frost isn't in it, but I am a bit gutted that Jean is not, though I take the point that she is in the 'All New XMen'. I do think that she would be better in this series than Rachel or Jubilee though.

Disagree with your last statement. Rachel is a far more complex character than Jean when it comes to her as a character. I'm glad Rachel's being put in the spotlight because all she's been is a teacher at the school and they've done hardly anything with her character since she was out in space. That being said I can't wait to see Rachel being in this group.

#21 Posted by XsPectre28 (667 posts) - - Show Bio

all set for this, i feel that the roster is good, maybe shoulda added scarlet witch since she claims to want to follow xavier's example but overall a good fit they all know each other & have been on other teams with each other so they will gel well as a unit also hopefully they will pull them from the other teams they are on to focus mainly on this core team.... until cyclops returns lol

#22 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@IllyanaRasputin said:

@RizeOracle said:

Thank you to PrinceIMC to explaining Storm's mohawk... gotta say, not a fan.

As for chocobojam's post. Hey, I'm with you. Big Jean Grey fan, I've just noticed that she seems to get a lot of hatred. I guess a lot of writers have misused her character over the years.

I am also pleased that Emma Frost isn't in it, but I am a bit gutted that Jean is not, though I take the point that she is in the 'All New XMen'. I do think that she would be better in this series than Rachel or Jubilee though.

Disagree with your last statement. Rachel is a far more complex character than Jean when it comes to her as a character. I'm glad Rachel's being put in the spotlight because all she's been is a teacher at the school and they've done hardly anything with her character since she was out in space. That being said I can't wait to see Rachel being in this group.

me too.

#23 Posted by Dman1366 (528 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Best thing to happen since Morrison.

#24 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll reserve judgment until I read it.

#25 Posted by jhazzroucher (13941 posts) - - Show Bio

Girl Power! : )

#26 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Gah. Pixie. *gag* All I can think about when seeing that character is her in limbo yelling at Ilyana for turning her evil.

#27 Posted by Veitha (2319 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Both Pixie and Roxanne Washington (along with some some other ff female heroes) will be appearing in the first issue.

Win.

Really? I'm happy to see Roxanne back, I liked her a lot.

#28 Posted by Carinthar (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Cipher makes an appearance. I always see her walking around the halls of the Jean Grey School. I just want a writer to give her some spotlight. Racial diversity is seriously lacking in comics. She could be used to highlight the growth of Kitty's character. Kitty could relate to Cipher's power set and possibly mentor her. Storm would possibly see her value and offer her a small role on the team, like an X-intern.

#29 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

After seeing Marvel Divas I am still very skeptical about this title. I really do hope the group has a real purpose to be a team other than to complain about the X-Guys and go shopping.

There are a lot of niche favs and criminally underused characters involved so I really hope they are given a chance the shine for the first time in a long while.

#30 Edited by poisonfleur (2708 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@RizeOracle:

I'm actually really glad they didn't call it X-women; these are X-men, every one of them. Plus that title would definitely write them into a corner, eventually.

I'm also actually glad they went with this line up; besides being an all-star cast, these characters were all main characters at different points throughout the 80's, which gives the team a very distinct and definitive flavour -I actually noticed that before anything else, so this may be one time when I feel that newer characters might have watered it down..

As far as how many other books these characters are in, I could really care less. This is probably the only X-book I'll read where any of these characters get any proper focus.

And, honestly, the creative team alone has me interested. Wood has already shown he has a much better grasp on many of these characters than most writers, especially Storm, which is enough to get me excited.

You summed this is quite well!^ That's Exactly how I feel.

I have to say tho-- THIS IS ROGUE'S LAST CHANCE FOR ME TO LIKE HER AGAIN... Goshhh-- Her character has fallen farther from grace than Elektra has- Heck-- Even Kitty & Ms.Marvel became more interesting than her over the years

#31 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur: Thanks!

but, in my eyes, KITTY WAS ALWAYS COOOOL!!

#32 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

The best part about this book is that I don't know much about most of the characters so it'll be a nice surprise to see just how awesome they are.

#33 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

The best part about this book is that I don't know much about most of the characters so it'll be a nice surprise to see just how awesome they are.

y'know, I actually kind of envy you for that.

#34 Posted by Walzo (4352 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited, I like that Marvel is putting out female books. And by Brian Wood and Oliver Coipel? Don't need much more.

#35 Posted by McKlayn (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

I got to agree with every one who mentioned the whole X women thing, it would be an insult to call these women X women, they are just as big X men as anyone else if not bigger then most.

Also to the OP, Jean is dead. Sorry to break it to you, and yes i know the young her is back but that story is being self contained pretty well and i think it should be. Its not the most favorable story in the world and well i dont think it would make alot of sense for the original 5 to be getting comfortable and joining other teams when they (at least in character wise) plan to go back at some point in time, and plan on doing it rather soon from the way they talk. So yea Also Rachel is a bad ass, she is very under used and appreciated by the fan base. Jubilee is a fun character and will be a good read I am VERY excited for this book.

#36 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been long overdue, I hope it last for decades.

#37 Posted by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Rachel got a new look like Storm and psylock. I'm sock of the world's straightest lesbian look.

#38 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4358 posts) - - Show Bio

XX-Men sounds promising. Can't wait for the review. I was originally planning on getting the rED Hulk TBolts but reviews change my mind. Hopefully this one is a good read. The ladies look good together.

(+)

#39 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Carinthar said:

Hopefully Cipher makes an appearance. I always see her walking around the halls of the Jean Grey School. I just want a writer to give her some spotlight. Racial diversity is seriously lacking in comics. She could be used to highlight the growth of Kitty's character. Kitty could relate to Cipher's power set and possibly mentor her. Storm would possibly see her value and offer her a small role on the team, like an X-intern.

I would love to see more of Cipher! wastefully underused character, in my opinion.

#40 Posted by jhazzroucher (13941 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they change Kitty's costume

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.