Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

After reading Wolverine and the X-Men #1 today......

ethanrjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ethanrjc

... I am left quite disappointed with it. There are many aspects in the last few Schism books and Regenisis that I was really looking forward to, but this book's whole atmosphere sort of ruined it for me. Maybe I set my expectations too high for how cool and exciting it is to see Wolverine and Cyclops divide the X-Men and then let them deal with the consequences... but this book didn't really establish much of that for me. It seemed very light hearted and airy, as if the characters were all versions of themselves rewritten into kid's television. They could even put a PG rating on the cover really, just to warn us older, more mature readers that this book won't spark much interest.

Not to mention, we've all seen the cover for the second issue by now... I don't think anyone wants to see Wolverine and his band of merry mutants fighting a giant fish right now, we want to see the dramatic changes in these character's lives showing how Schism has affected them. They can't be shown to be this hunky-dory with everything around them. The characters in this story could really work if they're used properly, and not written as far out of character as Wolverine was in this issue. I'm not saying it's a horrible idea to have Wolverine starting a new school. It's just, the way it's apparently being done as shown in issue 1... ekkkkkkkkk. That's me cringing.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By noj

@ethanrjc: I wholeheartedly disagree. I loved the tone of the book. Its just straight up fun. Not every book needs to be dark edgy and ultra violent. In fact one of the biggest problems with the industry now a days is that some tend to over focus on these things. In fact I kinda resent that you just assume that a book like this wont appeal to "mature" readers. What constitutes "mature" to you? From the wide critical acclaim ive seen this book getting I think you may be in the minority here.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By Hawkeye446

@noj said:

@ethanrjc: I wholeheartedly disagree. I loved the tone of the book. Its just straight up fun. Not every book needs to be dark edgy and ultra violent. In fact one of the biggest problems with the industry now a days is that some tend to over focus on these things. In fact I kinda resent that you just assume that a book like this wont appeal to "mature" readers. What constitutes "mature" to you? From the wide critical acclaim ive seen this book getting I think you may be in the minority here.

Interesting, I disagree with you both :)

In my opinion this book could have been better. I mean, the artwork and story constituted a really 'simple' book in a sense. However, I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. With the tone of the X-Men so far it is nice to have something more lighthearted. Nevertheless, I do worry that it will continue like this. Yes, it is nice, but if there are no serious sides to the book, I think it will suffer.

ethanrjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ethanrjc

I don't show.. it's just this Schism has so far led to this, and I was definately looking forward to see Wolverine's side more, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe seeing Cyclops' team in the new Uncanny X-Men will actually be more my taste. It's just the whole epicness of the X-Men actually splitting up felt quite lost in this book.

I'll admit i may be off with mentioning "mature" readers, but I was more refering to age that this could be acceptable for (hence my children's tv regerence). I'm also not in it for violence either, I'm in it for the story... mainly, the Schism story, and it didn't feel present in this. Something like a schism should probably be taken more seriously.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By pixelized

I think I agree with Hawkeye, disagree with noj, and agree with ethanrjc. The issue seemed very familiar. I know it's Wolverine opening a school, but it felt like I've already read the same sort of dialogue already. Opening of a school in front of super important officials, and everything that could go wrong is... I know i've read that somewhere, someone help me out! The only thing I did find interesting was Hellion taunting the Brood/Mutant, but that was instantly washed away as Kitty agreed with Hellion's point and no one intervening to break them up. 

EDIT:

It was Generation X! Emma needed funding and in order to get it the school had to pass an inspection.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@pixelized said:

I think I agree with Hawkeye, disagree with noj, and agree with ethanrjc. The issue seemed very familiar. I know it's Wolverine opening a school, but it felt like I've already read the same sort of dialogue already. Opening of a school in front of super important officials, and everything that could go wrong is... I know i've read that somewhere, someone help me out! The only thing I did find interesting was Hellion taunting the Brood/Mutant, but that was instantly washed away as Kitty agreed with Hellion's point and no one intervening to break them up.

EDIT:

It was Generation X! Emma needed funding and in order to get it the school had to pass an inspection.

"Bullying is for loosers"

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Powerzone789

i don't like the art work...like at all, chris bachalo's art just makes me want to gag...other then that it was an alright starter issue, i hate the new hellfire club though...i never liked the element of killer little kids, i think its dumb

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty

The obsession with Kade Kilgore is misplaced. I understand that the writer created the kid, but it's a laughable villain. A 12 year old with a hard-on for violence against mutants? It's not scary! Why are we meant to be scared of someone who hasn't even started puberty? No matter how many stupid hair-brained schemes he comes up with, he's still just a dumb kid that would die if Apocalypse so much as farted in his general direction. Other than that... I really am surprised with how mcuh I enjoyed this issue.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By luckydomino1

note what you just said the first issue its the first issue wait after the the sixth or tenth issue and after that if you still think its bad feel free to share that with us

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@noj said:

One of the reasons why is loved Academy X so much before K and Y took over and turned it into another x-blood-fest of a book.

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Soulstealer

@xerox_kitty said:

The obsession with Kade Kilgore is misplaced. I understand that the writer created the kid, but it's a laughable villain. A 12 year old with a hard-on for violence against mutants? It's not scary! Why are we meant to be scared of someone who hasn't even started puberty? No matter how many stupid hair-brained schemes he comes up with, he's still just a dumb kid that would die if Apocalypse so much as farted in his general direction. Other than that... I really am surprised with how mcuh I enjoyed this issue.

Actually to be honest I think he's a kid with a hard-on for the profits he can make from pimping out the fear and loathing of mutants for his own benefit. That's not to say that I like the character or even think he's a good villain ( actually I think time will tell on that matter personally ) but I think it's less about the violence and more about the perhaps cliche yet ever valued "money, power, and respect" oh and of course his (not to mention the rest of the "Hellfire Club")'s parent and familial issues. (i.e. I'm the best and brightest of my family. Aren't I grand. Better than my parents and I'm a kid too.)

shrmntnk62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shrmntnk62

I was not a huge fan of this issue. I hate Bachalo's art. Karoaka worked as a villian 30 years ago but not so much now. I was fine with this being a set up book w/ no action, but the tone did feel wrong to me. Hopefully this gets better soon. I chose this book over more new 52, don't make me regret my decision Logan.

Avatar image for nightwalkerrevan
    NightwalkerRevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NightwalkerRevan

I really enjoyed it, the X-Men (like allot of comics) have been so focused on being 'dark, edgy and gritty' they are often just not much fun anymore, and the wider lives of the characters seem to get lost in the constant attempts to keep books 'dark and gritty', and while I've enjoyed X-Men stories recently, they have always had a 'we're all doomed' mentality all the time. No one in the X-Men seems to know the meaning of being a family or having fun anymore (and they have had times in the past were things have been as dark for the X-Men as now, but they still had the ability to feel like a family and could seem them enjoy themselves and having other parts to their lives then just fighting the next 'threat about to slay us all').

I like those parts of the X-Men, but I really have missed the family feel and the light-hearted aspects, and not ever comic needs to be dark and gothic (not everything needs to be brooding Batmansk) so for me, this was a really refreshing change and enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to it :)

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fivestarga

Agreed, it was disappointing to me as well. I'm not just saying this because I'm anti-Aaron, but the kid oriented Wolvie just disgusts me. I'm referring to using him as the headmaster of a school. To me, the way Whedon used Wolverine in Astonishing, was nearly spot on. Uncanny X-men did not disappoint.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@xerox_kitty said:

LMFAO The Apocalypse comment just made my day, but yea hating this kilgore kid, but what doesn't help that he has a posse of 12 year olds. We are suppose to believe these non-mutant kids a smart enough to takeover the hellfire club/take on the x-men and have an utter hatred of mutants

Overall I really enjoyed the issue, just wish we didn't have to see that kade kid again. Hope that apocalypse fart wipes them out of the marvel universe

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Kallarkz

@fivestarga said:

Agreed, it was disappointing to me as well. I'm not just saying this because I'm anti-Aaron, but the kid oriented Wolvie just disgusts me. I'm referring to using him as the headmaster of a school. To me, the way Whedon used Wolverine in Astonishing, was nearly spot on. Uncanny X-men did not disappoint.

agreed. this type of personality just does not fit him. Marvel has desperately tried to come out with excuses to put Wolverine in the limelight and its showing.

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By unicornpuncher

I actually really liked the writing, and the overall tone of it to start intro ducing characters but some of the art made it hard to tell who was who and what was going on.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By John Valentine

Refreshing break from the doom and gloom of X-Men since Decimation.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@John Valentine said:

Refreshing break from the doom and gloom of X-Men since Decimation.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By TheOptimist

@xerox_kitty: I agree wholeheartedly about Kade as a villain being somewhat laughably inadequate, while still enjoying the issue...

I think part of what makes this book difficult is that the very rationale while the OP didn't like the book is the reason why Logan seems to be trying to create his separate title institution. In some ways, Logan wants a return to simplicity, without characters reacting to excessive change or crisis, as is the explicit intention of Team Cyclops... Logan is clinging desperately to the idea that things can indeed be 'hunky-dory' again...

And there are major positives that can arise from that. The levity of elements of the issue was refreshing, against the dark backdrop of recent history...

Elements like the Mutant Brood are what can really make this title shine... showing that even as things change dramatically, underneath that change is a sense of commonality...

And I believe that the instability of the school in this issue as well as the foreshadowed conflicts indicated that upcoming events may indeed prove to be challenging for the group, really pressing the issue of whether or not these positive ideals can exist in tandem with the dark world to which we've become accustomed.

And the Mutant Brood. I mean, come on, seriously, awesome. I adore everything about the concept. Especially the reaction within the mutant community that perfectly mirrors the exterior forces that they have so long critiqued... Logan really get it. Ah! I think that little Brood is gonna be amazing.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By CATPANEXE

I liked it. Not an award winner nor one for the books, it had it's pro's and con's though

and I don't feel like I wasted the five to seven minutes with reading it. But long term investment feels threatened.

Pro's

---------

* Fairly refreshing story, and moreso not what I expecting. I was really expecting something

unoriginal and predicatble before even opening it (which is coincedentally why I waited

until now to read it), and found myself standing corrected

* Lots of character appearances and friendly faces appear. (Bamfs!!!)

* Love the dialogue and scene set-ups. Reads like good script. The characters were alive

and breathing in this.

* The new mansion is great. In fact on a sidenote I have to remind myself to see if there's a

page for it, or if it was added to the old mansions page. If the latter I think they should be proposed as seperate entities. But I digress, great, and unexpected.

* I liked the characters I was introduced to in this issue, the Shiar teens, and whatever the cute little Brood fellow is (were thes in Astonishing? I don't read that series). In fact Aaron

you have my little Brood pal hurt or turn evil or anything I will track you down and remove

your enitre epidermis from you inch by inch with a potato peeler. Also I want a plush.

A talking plush! And a plush Bamf!

------

Con's

-----

* Kade Killgore. I'm actually jumping the bandwagon, though not in full. I try and give anything a chance in a comic, no matter how stupid or boring it may seem in light of the fact that comics tell themselves in unravelling series and something may be brewing. Also I try

not to hold unsavory parts of a book with me past their due date. I didn't really have an issue

with this character nor his buddies during Schism per say for that reason, and the only thing

that picked in my brain a little was how ludicrious it was that a kid is so priveledged and intelligent that he pretty much storms the world, get's a hold of advanced weapons of war,

builds some more adavnced weapons, walks in and takes over the Hellfire Club in about the time it takes to say hello, and for some reason decides to stomp on the X-Men. Aside from how improbable that a child just get's away with all this is, added to this is the fact that, so what, since when has some intelligent bussiness person for all intents been able to be this large of a threat to the X-Men, without paying the price? I get the whole he's deadly because

he's a kid so everyone has to hold back and try and outmanuver him mentally thing and apparently Beast, X-Club, any of the other mutant geniuses and strategists, and all their superhero friends also have the same complication with outwitting a kid and putting him

in a juvenile detention center as they do hurting one physically (?), much less X-Force only kills one doombringer child a year I guess, but it's still not a fresh idea at all, and it's just not an exciting character. I keep hoping this is a shapeshifter or a past villian reborn in that body.

That would make sense. But I really wouldn't mind then if they let the cat out of the bag sooner than later so I won't have to endure Krud Killbuzz anymore. Key to note when I say

boring with this one to. If they make me despise or hate the character, for example how Marvel did with Norman Osborn during Dark Reign, to the point I really want to see the heroes win, then they did their job right. I don't that with Kade, more of a " Yeah, yeah...

whats on the next page? " laxative effect. And if I as a reader don't care what's going

on, then theres a large issue. This could have been resolved easily by using or making

a less silly and complex, interesting villian. The again Wolverines prior arch was a cranky

old man with liverspots so maybe I don't speak the majority of readers?

-------

Certain things

------

* Not a real violent action orientated issue, but who said it was going to be? No one.

This issue had a lot to establish in one shot, and did what it needed to do there. Sure, they could have made it a dark Micheal Bay film, but then wheres the foundation, the point of conflict, and the pacing? Nowhere, and with it then the stroy structure and we're left with

a book full of pretty action shots and a series with no definition nor depth in the long run.

* I didn't feel the kid book thing most are getting here, just pacing and setting. It's hard to

introduce something bad happening into a composition without having set it as good first,

or light to define dark and vice versa. What it was I think is the art. I personally like Bachelo's

art a lot, but whenever he's tapped it makes the story no matter how serious, dark, gritty,

or anything look overly cartoony and fun. I think this made Kade stand out even more as

well as the art in Schism helped to make him a little less subtle.

* " Never cared for kids either. Not even my own " - Wolverine. Not a big thing but Jason?

Did you just forget your run on Wolverine right before this book or something? I highly

doubt he would think this, especially this soon given what he just went through and how

he felt about that. (withheld out of spoiler interests, but those of you that read the Wolverine Goes To Hell and Wolverine's Revenge arcs will understand the significance)

------

~ Final census = I like and am open to vast spectrum of genre's, anything you can name I'm probably down for it depending on my mood and cravings at the time. My motivation weighs pretty heavily in what I decided to consume at the time, as does anyone's. Relevant then is that I get the actual fix I'm looking for, instead of buying a box of chocolates (pauses for thought of choco happiness) and finding wheat grass inside. I want to watch a Pixar film, and I do and I get what a Pixar film entails and I'm satisfied and feel the time was well spent. I watch a horror movie I want it to be one and themed as such. I read a Batman comic because I want noirish crime drama with high tech adventure, a dark and moody back drop and a psychological and colorful villain. I read an X-Men comic I expect something fairly serious of itself staring my favorite mutant characters, front and center acting as they normally do. I read a Wolverine comic for it's grittiness and mature hard life nature, and to see Wolverine battle cool villains that put James Bonds rogues to shame. What I got from this was not what I want from and Wolverine centric X-Men book. What I got was an off the wall and extremely spoofy account, and while it has a small handful of mainstays, Wolverine, Kitty and Beast mainly highlighted, their screen time is divided with characters who should really be in short stories in collab minis when focused on, and characters while I respect really have no business occupying as much front panel time as they do in this. Wolverine is somewhat like a goofy uncle, or a stoned Jack Nicholson here, as opposed to anything he usually is and anything Jason just wrote him as. Beast was, well I can't tell what he was supposed to be on, coffee I think but apparently it reacts with him as Jim Carey juice? And Kid Omega..well.

Overall the team composition is weak for an X-Team, and mostly lacking in captivation.

-

Jason is a good writer but he's taken these characters and the title teams cliche really far out of it's element here, which is really sad because I know he can do otherwise and greatly.

I think of Way's Deadpool here. I had to drop that a long time ago. I can pick up an issue here or there if I need a laugh, but really I have a hard time taking something seriously that doesn't take itself that way to begin with. Same motion applies from me to this. It was fun, and if this is the running theme of the book, I'm not staying even the short course. There's plenty of other spoofy colorful books with a partially logic bound plot involved for me to read that I already am and get that fix, the difference being they are supposed to be that and in turn they fit and feel natural, instead of concocted. Sorry Jason, I love your writing but this is off by a lot.

To anyone that likes it, I'm extremely flexible, but to each their own here.

xfiles2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xfiles2099

I dissagree this book was actualy very good I like the direction this one is headed

The only thing about this book I did not like was the art work not a fan of this style

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.