Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

After 5 issues, really on board with X-Men Legacy (Marvel NOW!)

emperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emperium

(No Spoilers, post intended to raise awareness.)

For me, reading X-Men Legacy (Vol 2) felt like the biggest risk into the unknown I have ever done when talking about comics I read. I knew this book was going to star Legion and my knowledge of him goes as far back as pre-Age of Apocalypse in the mid 1990s, then his return in X-Men Legacy (Vol 1) around the Age of X storyline. He seems like a cool character enough to learn more about so I decided to give it a shot.

The first couple of issues I was really second guessing myself, the story seemed a bit incomprehensible, the art was decent. It felt like I wanted to get off a bad roller coaster ride, but instead I stuck with it.

And damn I'm glad I did! I guess what I really wasn't getting was how Spurrier tackles on writing a book like this. At issue 5, things just started to click together. A fantastic read that made previous issues that I've read feel a bit better. Now I see great potential in X-Men Legacy (Vol 2) and can finally say I would recommend it to those who are not new readers. I know that being renumbered was suppose to let new readers start Legacy, but I just don't think it would be as good of a read as someone that has a bit more context on the characters in this book.

For those weary about this book only focusing on Legion (in case he just isn't your cup of tea), there definitely is a supporting cast. From an interview Spurrier mentioned interest in not only involving Blindfold but Pixie, Armor and Marrow. Issue 5 gave a real shocking look into Blindfold's origin. From a lot of comments I've seen online about the new volume, many agree that this is one of the most underrated Marvel NOW! titles and now I'm starting to see why.

There is also a bit of a behind the scenes site for those interested in learning more about Legacy at http://xmenlegacy.tumblr.com/.

For those on the fence I say give this book a chance if you can manage to read up to around issue 5, it's a bit of a rocky and slow start but definitely worth it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Took the words right outta my mouth. This has finally proven itself to be one of the best. Although it was the Blindfold story that sold me more than the overall plot, but everything just managed to sweetly intertwine i couldn't help but love the happenings between Legion and the mystical twins, and this book actually has some humor in it. I love it.

Seriously hope it at least makes it to, like, 25 issues, give or take.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TDK_1997

I also love it.I started getting into Legion in the past few months and I feel like with this series I will become a big fan of him.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Binski

I agree I was going to drop it after the first couple issues because I'm new to x-men comics and had no idea what was going on but it got much better and made more sense and is now on my pull list.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dangallant984

I have been more and more intrigued by what I've heard about this book..

I usually don't do this, but since it's already on issue 5, should I just wait for the trade and start up with issue 7? how long do these things normally take?

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By RawrImADragon

@dangallant984 said:

I have been more and more intrigued by what I've heard about this book..

I usually don't do this, but since it's already on issue 5, should I just wait for the trade and start up with issue 7? how long do these things normally take?

I would say jump in for the next arc definitely and maybe pick up the trade. Like other people have mentioned, the story and the art, especially the art, doesn't really pick up until issue 4 so i can only mildly recommend the first 3 issues. But, yeah hop on board as soon as possible. The covers alone are fantastic, the best cover art I've seen in a while!

No Caption Provided

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By dangallant984

@RawrImADragon: hey, thanks! yeah, I've noticed the covers, and they do look pretty sick..

so you don't think I'll miss much if I skip to issue 4? because that would definitely be a thing I could do..

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lykopis

Loved this series from the very beginning -- really hope more people jump on.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By John Valentine

Not a massive fan. Pretty indifferent.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tomchu

Has some AWESOME covers.

Hated Issue 1 and 2 because it was so damn chaotic, but I got used to the chaotic-ness Issue 3 onwards, and actually began to embrace it. Plus, the whole idea of Legion having any power he wants is pretty awesome, but also the idea that he's unstable and not run around like a demi-god gives him room to grow and reminds me of the original X-Men Legacy with Rogue.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tomchu

Is Tan Eng Huat coming back for art? I honestly don't want him to. Or is Jorge Molina staying on? (which would be brilliant.)

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RawrImADragon

@dangallant984 said:

@RawrImADragon: hey, thanks! yeah, I've noticed the covers, and they do look pretty sick..

so you don't think I'll miss much if I skip to issue 4? because that would definitely be a thing I could do..

to be honest, i don't think you'll miss that much if you are already familiar with legion. the first issue takes place right around Professor X's death and just sets up what the character has been up to and how his powers/brain works. second sets up the villain who isn't even really explored till the latest issue, which is 5 (at the time of writing this). third I would say is the jumping on point since it introduces the twins who are somewhat pivotal to the arc. plus in that issue there's a recap in the beginning. but the real x-men action and feel doesn't start till 4. you'd be fine jumping in on 4 since that's where things finally heat up, but 3 gives you a more whole picture.

so in short: first two totally skippable, 3 is a good jumping on point, and the last two issues, 4 and 5, have just been great. hope that helps!

RawrImADragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RawrImADragon

@tomchu said:

Is Tan Eng Huat coming back for art? I honestly don't want him to. Or is Jorge Molina staying on? (which would be brilliant.)

the issue coming out next week is still molina, thank god, but according to solicits... huat is back for 7 and 8 ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

emperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emperium

@tomchu said:

I think there is a bit of instability when it comes to the artists of legacy. 7-9 is Tan Eng Haut. Then 10-11 is either Paul Davidson (based on May solicitations) or Matteo Scalera (based on Marvel.com).

I personally do not find Tan Eng Haut's art a turn off but would be nice to have a stable artist.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chasereis

It's pretty good but honestly the more I read the more I just want to read it in a TPB format. The stories are good but I am just struggling with the art.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.