Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

A new book for some underused X-characters

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When I first got into comics, one of the first books I got into was New X-Men: Academy X, and to this day it remains one of my favorites and the characters it introduced are some of my favorite X-characters. Sadly, ever since New X-Men ended my favorites have been getting progressively less and less screen time. So I got to thinking, what would be a way of getting these characters the attention they deserve? Here's what I came up with:

What if Prodigy reopened X-Factor Investigations in LA, inviting all his old friends from the Xavier Institute to join him? Don't get me wrong, All New X-Factor is my favorite X-book right now. I'm in no way proposing it should end. I would want the new book to be just called X-Factor, and ANXF and adjectiveless X-Factor can coexist peacefully. One of the trademarks of X-Factor has been its use of secondary X-characters, as well as its use of very odd combinations of characters, and using the Academy X kids accomplishes both of those things. It even makes sense from a character perspective; one of the major themes of Academy X was the kids losing faith in Xavier's ideals. I can really see them wanting to separate themselves from the X-Men but still wanting to help mutantkind.

So what do you think? Would you read it? With cast members like Prodigy, Surge, Anole, a repowered Wind Dancer, Pixie, Hellion, Mercury, Rockslide, Bling, Elixir, maybe Blindfold, Match, or X-23? Yes or no?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By HAWK2916

This is a bit of an ongoing debate on these boards. I definitely would follow a book like that. Especially the Xfactor Investigations theme, though I could just do with calling it New Xmen. In fact i think I would add that in to my premise for such a book.

Here's my idea for a book:

New XMen:Surge, Hellion, Dust, Mercury, X-23, Pixie, Rockslide, Loa. (Blindfold and/or maybe Prodigy in a non-combative role.)(maybe the Cuckoo's one or either of them could handle the communications)

Tasked with locating and helping newly emerging mutants who are need of aid in adjusting to life with as a mutant. They seek to protect young mutants from the threat of those who would harm or exploit them. They especially lend aid to those not currently associated with the school as well as helping some of there classmates with problems existing outside of the school. At times they aid other teams in search and rescue efforts for oppressed young mutants but for the most part they operate autonomously, seeking to fit in with with humanity and lead normal lives while being mutant superheroes.

Im not sure but Ive been playing with the idea of them sort of leading separate lives but coming together as a team when the need arises. Possibly even living together in a house/office separate from the any Xmen headquarters. Surge would have accepted an invitation to join a training program for young SHIELD or O.N.E agents(if we are tired of SHIELD). She'd be used as somewhat of a spy for Cyclops' team to report on the government agency activities but would also see the value in being on the government's side somewhat. Still she'd be a co-leader of the team. Hellion prefers the stay underground and wants no part of the government or either Xmen faction preferring to seek his own way in the world. X-23 finds comfort being with her old team after her experiences and wants to stay underground and separate since their are still operatives looking to retrieve her. She also has a goal of protecting her cousin and aunt as well as the NYX kids. Loa splits her time with the team and in Atlantis. Mercury would have enrolled in college and is trying to lead a normal life while still being a superhero. Dust works with a specialized unit trying to help find missing persons. She tries to use her connections to help locate her family in Afghanistan. Pixie is the team transport, able to gather everyone in an instant from their separate locations as needed. She lives with the team but does quite a bit of training and work at the X-mansion. Prodigy and Blindfold stay at the base monitoring situations and helping to set up missions.

A few of the issues the team might explore:

Discovery of Elixir's whereabouts and state of mind. He may join the team or he may be an antagonist in the same vein as Magneto has been for the Xmen.

The discovery of who Hope Summers biological father really is. What her role is for the future.

Gentle's dealings with Wakanda. Uncovering a plot to have Gentle usurp the throne of Wakanda. Also his mortality since his powers could kill him.

Indra and his family.

Surge, Hellion, Rockslide, Pixie dealing with the families and what they've been up to.

Dust's search for her mother and family.

NYX kids. Also the facility and Kimura continue to threaten the Kinney's and all X-23's associates.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Maybe but mist likely wouldn't. I don't find mist of those characters interesting enough to buy a book about them (maybe Wind Dancer).

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the sentiment. My favorite X-Men book start to finish is Academy X/New X-men, and the fact that Surge(!!!!) isn't used aside from crowd shots is beyond me.
    In my opinion an X-book with these characters, should be a mix of them striking out on their own as well as actually moving up within the X-Men. They sort of need to make themselves important to the X-Men world, while at the same time doing something that stands out from the pack.

It's been 6 years since their book was canceled so its not likely that they'll all be prominent again, and if they are it will mostly be a completely fresh take, ignoring a lot of history (since marvel is constantly coming up with new "starting points"). But i'd like to see them sort of put in positions to explore them without the threat of cancellation, like Surge joining Cyclops' proactive team, or Hellion teaming up with X-23.....i dont know...it just needs to be both unique enough from the other titles and true to the characters to appeal to old and new fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.