Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

A better mutant classification

fridric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I created this topic to give my own vision of a better classification for the mutation levels.

1st: Espsilon level mutant is a mutant with 1% to 20% of X-genes in his/her DNA.

2nd: Delta level mutant is a mutant with 21% to 40% of X-genes in his/her DNA.

3rd: Gamma level mutant is a mutant with 41% to 60% of X-genes in his/her DNA.

4th: Beta level mutant is a mutant with 61% to 80% of X-genes in his/her DNA.

5th: Alpha level mutant is a mutant with 81% to 100% of X-genes in his/her DNA.

An Omega mutant is a "type of mutation" not a "level of mutation". What does that means? A mutant who is classified as Omega is a mutant who controls all aspect of reality both psychokinesis[=telekinesis/reality warping/space/time/energy and matter] and teleesthesis or teleesthesia?[=telepahty in general with other psychic abilities who affect brains and psyches like teleempahty, voyance, psychometry, psypathy, etc).

So, it exists Omega mutants for all level of mutation! Epsilon level mutants can have Omega mutants and not ONLY the Alpha level mutants are Omega mutants! Like Omega mutation is the strongest of all mutations, Omega mutants are very rare.

Now, I explain the mutant generation how it works:

1) A mutant is considered of 1st generation if he/she has 2 humans as parents OR 1 mutant+1human as parents,

2) A mutant is considered of 2nd generation if he/she has ALWAYS 2 mutants of 1st generation as parents,

3) A mutant is considered of 3rd generation if he/she has 2 mutants as parents: one must be of 1st generation and the other is ALWAYS of 2nd generation,

4) A mutant is considered of 4th generation if he/she has 2 mutants as parents: the 2 parents are ALWAYS of 2nd generation.

I can continue this generation list indefinitely the ONLY thing you must keep in mind is the number of the generation of the 2 parents and add it it's simple! An example: a mutant of 10th generation= 1 mutant of 5th generation+1 mutant of 5th generation OR 1 mutant of 9th generation+1 mutant of 1st generation! There's other combinations like 7th+3rd for example the only restriction is to make a "10" for 10th generation.

What's happened if a mutant of 2nd generation or more makes a child with a human? The child is the same generation of his/her mutant parent but is NOTof the same level of mutation! The child has ALWAYS half the mutation of his/her mutant parent. Example: Cyclops is an Alpha level mutant with 100% of X-genes in his DNA. He has a son with a normal human woman. This son obtained 50% of his father's DNA; so, 100%/2=50% Cyclops' son is a Gamma level mutant not an Alpha like his dad! ONLY with a mutant, another mutant can raise the generation.

There's another point which we take in count it's the level of mutation too.

Indeed, a Alpha level mutant has higher chance to give birth to a mutant than an Epsilon level mutant. These rates are: Espsilon=0.5% to 10% chance, Delta=10.5% to 20% chance, Gamma=20.5% to 30% chance, Beta=30.5% to 40% chance, Alpha=40.5% to 50% chance. If you followed since the beginning, you knew a mutant can have child with human or mutant. So, with a mutant the rates simply add to give higher chances to have a mutant child. For example: Alpha+Epsilon: 0.5+40.5=41% to 10+50=60% chance to give birth to a mutant child! 2 Alpha level mutants(Cyclops+Jean Grey for example) has 100% chance to have a mutant child.

For a further explanation, children of superior generation are ALWAYS stronger(more potentials) than their mutant parents(not applicable to a mutant of any generation and a human) because they have more X-genes due to the "genetical bound" of generation.

I still continues with the example of Jean Grey and Scott Summers children here for the explanation: I considered these 2 having the highest level of mutation so they are Alpha level mutants with 100% of X-genes in their DNA. They have 100% chance to give birth to a mutant and this mutant is ALWAYS an Alpha level mutant with 100% of X-genes in his/her DNA. Where this child is supposed to be stronger/more potential if he/she is like Jean or Scott? It's in the number of X-genes that child had which is wider than his/her parents. Jean=100 X-genes, Scott=100 X-genes, they give each of them 50% of their DNA so 50+50=100 X-genes BUT the fact this child is a mutant of 2nd generation plays a big role in the process it doubles the number of the X-genes so: 100*2(the generation)=200 X-genes! If it's a 3rd generation it's simple you multiplicates with 3 to obtain the number of X-genes(so 300 x-genes) and for higher generations you make the same but with the number of generation involves, that's simple!

I hope you like my suggestion I know it's a little bit long to read but thank you to read this. I wait your comments.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By devilsgrin81

@fridric:

it's a bit unnecessarily complicated with all these levels. And implies that mutancy is Generational and related to breeding. They're not cats or dogs... although Mr Sinister might like your classifications... he's fan of the mutant pedigree.

Also, explain how Cyclops can be 100% mutant, but neither of his parents were mutants?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be easier to just classify them by their feats. Basically, a mutant who has no potential to do anything that powerful would simply be called 'weaker' - no muss, no fuss (ex: "This is a weak mutant. Cerebro has monitored them for weeks, and they never registered more than a 0.4 on the energy scale."). I like your idea in generally, but I think just simplifying everything is easier to justify given how genetics work and would give writers more freedom.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be easier to just classify them by their feats. Basically, a mutant who has no potential to do anything that powerful would simply be called 'weaker' - no muss, no fuss (ex: "This is a weak mutant. Cerebro has monitored them for weeks, and they never registered more than a 0.4 on the energy scale."). I like your idea in generally, but I think just simplifying everything is easier to justify given how genetics work and would give writers more freedom.

This.

Agreed.

fridric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fridric

@devilsgrin81: my classification indicates the level of the mutation so a mutant who has 20% of X-genes in his DNA is an Epsilon, it's more simple than the official Marvel classification for mutation which is fantasist, don't you think?

Also I didn't imply it's only generational because a mutant can have 2 humans parents. I wrote it in the explanation of the 1st generation: "A mutant is considered of 1st generation if he/she has 2 humans as parents". I gave the indication for generation because in the comics a character like Rachel Summers or Nightcrawler can't be considered as 1st generation because they have 2 mutants as parents so they are 2nd generation. In biology, you can have a new generation only if 2 people of the same species make a child together. So, Cyclops can't be consisered as a 2nd generation and Professor X 1st generation, both are 1st generation, it's pure logic.

Mutants are humans' evolution, right? As like them they are animals so like cats or dogs! I'm sorry if I shocked you if you just discover this.

For Cyclops and all mutants who have 2 humans as parents it's like the current comics explanation they have at least one of their 2 parents who only carry passive X-genes so they can't use the powers of theses genes. Their parents are only "carriers". A known mutant like Cyclops carries passive X-genes and can use active X-genes, this is the difference.

fridric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fridric

@moonlighterstone: @phoenixofthetides: both of you think the same about it. So I answer you this: when you classiffy mutants by their feats it's only to indicate the nature/type of their powers not a level/scale of their powers. If the writers themselves gave a level it's because there are certain mutants who are stronger and other mutants who are weaker, right? So they make a comparison. This comparison needs a concrete element of comparison and this element should be their level of mutation. The official Marvel handbook(well I didn't remember the name) contradict what you said because it tries to give the heroes official stats about their feats but scales/levels too. So, if it's useless why Marvel does it?

I give a simplifed version of my thought(even if they are more elements to take in count here): more you have X-genes more you are strong! A telepath like Karma(Epsilon for example) is weaker than Xavier(Alpha) because she has less X-genes than Xavier. That's what her level of mutation indicates(Epsilon here which is weaker than Alpha). Is it really complicated for both of you?

My goal is not to complicate the writers' vision of the mutants but to propose an easier/logic for them about their stats and mutation scale. I'm not agreed with you when you want to let the writers make what they want. There are rules and logics that they must follow and not that chaos they showed in their universe without any explanations/logics. When they created the term Omega it was for a reason and they gave an explanation and logic for this term. So, they let this explanation in the comics for the readers to understand what they consider as Omega and not Omega. It's so confused who is Omega or not now. See the Omega level thread and people who said Magneto should be an Omega level. It's because the writers of Marvel have each of them their own vision and can't be agreed on a simple term! So that's why they can't continue in this way with confusing terms. This is the reason why I can't agreed with you for letting the writters freedom about certain things like the mutation scales which is become a very big problem amongst the fans and in the X-Men universe itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.