Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

2nd mutation

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darthphoenix

aside from white queen, who else have had 2nd mutations?

What 2nd mutation would you give the following characters?

rachel grey

shadowcat

Dazzler

Longshot

Havoc

Polaris

Boom Boom

...keep it going

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XsPectre28

rachel grey- her cronoskimming power is her secondary mutation but id advance it further, giving her the ability to rewind time up to an hour in the event of her death

shadowcat- id give her the ability to touch people or objects & they stay intangible until she returns them to normal & since the whole breakworld fiasco id make it so she no longer has to hold her breath to phase

Dazzler- dazzler can convert sound into light id also give her the abilities of the invisible woman since it all is basiclly controling light

Longshot- dont feel he is a major character so i dont feel he needs one.

Havok- is fine as he is maybe an energy form thou

Polaris- already had a secondary mutation but it was reconned when her normal powers were restored after the Zaladane event, but id give her the ability to manipulate the electro-magnetic sphere on the same level as magneto

Boom Boom- none

Avatar image for deactivated-62dfe515b2439
    deactivated-62dfe515b2439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iceman evolved into organic ice.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By mk111
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By fesak  Moderator

I'd give everyone claws.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dangallant984

@XsPectre28 said:

rachel grey- her cronoskimming power is her secondary mutation but id advance it further, giving her the ability to rewind time up to an hour in the event of her death

shadowcat- id give her the ability to touch people or objects & they stay intangible until she returns them to normal & since the whole breakworld fiasco id make it so she no longer has to hold her breath to phase

Dazzler- dazzler can convert sound into light id also give her the abilities of the invisible woman since it all is basiclly controling light.

these are cool ideas.

I kind of like the idea of Dazzler being able to make things invisible, as long as she couldn't create solid fields like Sue does.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Hmm. Kind feel those ones suggested for Rachel, Kitty, and Alison are a bit broken.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkxSeraph said:

Hmm. Kind feel those ones suggested for Rachel, Kitty, and Alison are a bit broken.

too powerful?

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Gallant: yeah. It means Rachel has no fear of ever dying, which removes any sense of threat to her--ever; making her the team go-to when it comes to suicide missions. Why should anyone else get involved? Just send Rachel! She'll never die! Not even temporarily!

With Kitty Pryde-- it just doesn't make sense for her to be able to touch and leave someone intangible after she pulls away. Again, removes threat and any danger whatsoever. All she has to do is phase through the floor, touch someone's foot, phase them and let them fall to the center of the earth, or whathaveyou.

If Alison became the invisible woman... yeah. She can't manipulate light to that degree. She can create it, but she can't bend it (which is what invisibility technically does--although if it were truly like that function, Sue wouldn't be able to see while invisible because light bends around her, never making it to her eyes.. but ANYWAY). Sue can create ridiculously strong force fields... alison can create hypnotic effects, lasers, and other applications of light--but all are created by her, she doesn't adjust that which exists. If she did, it would render the 'light from sound' part of her power pointless.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dangallant984

@DarkxSeraph: when you put it that way, I think you might be right about about Rachel and Dazzler anyway. Besides, do the X-men really need someone who can turn invisible when they have so many telepaths? I feel like someone with telepathy should be able to make themselves (at least) not seen, even if not technically invisible.

As for Kitty, I guess I was picturing her making people intangible like she was after the Mutant Massacre: she wasn't perpetually falling through the floor, but she had trouble picking things up, which would be handy in fighting an opponent, but doesn't seem overly powerful.

I do think that, at the very least, she shouldn't have to hold her breath at this point. It seems like that was a cool restriction to give her when she was starting out, but by now she's already been written doing things that make no sense with that limitation. In fact, given her time in the bullet, it seems like she shouldn't need to breathe at all.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By fodigg

Second mutations are tricky. There are the ones that change their powers (e.g., Beast, Cyclops), that expand their existing powers (e.g., Iceman, Magik), that reduce their existing powers (e.g., Colossus, Magneto), or that just give them entirely new and unrelated powers (e.g., Angel, Emma Frost).

Then as far as origin for these secondary mutations there are those that are the result of experimentation (e.g., Beast, Archangel), those that are random and spontaneous (e.g., Emma Frost), and those that are the result of some other outside influence (e.g., Phoenix Five plus Magneto). So there's a lot of leeway with them.

But on to brainstorming. For the listed characters, I'd probably do:

• Rachel Grey: Ditch the telepathy entirely and focus on telekinetics. (They actually did this with Psylocke previously.) Make telekinetics her thing, and ramp it 'up to eleven'. She wouldn't have fine control, but she'd be able to brute force enormous loads. This would make her more like the original presentation of Marvel Girl and yet would be unique in that she'd be a mind-powered "brawler".
    • Shadowcat: Expand on some of the secondary aspects of her existing powers. When she's "phasing", she can hold herself in position, even standing on nothing at all. Give her the ability to "lock down" opponents, touching them and locking them in place, unable to move (although not truly phased).
    • Dazzler: Some sort of entracing or audio-based mind control might be interesting, but that's probably too close to Songbird. Limited 'teleportation' might work instead, where she would transform herself into light, travel at light speed, and then reform.
    • Longshot: For Longshot I think malicious experimentation by Mojo, such as how Spiral was created. In fact, Extra arms might be interesting, but instead I'd make him a sort of "Luck Vampire".
    • Havok: I think it'd be interesting to totally de-power Havok so he has to get by on his skills as a leader alone. Unfortunately, this is basically what they're doing for Cyclops.
    • Polaris: Add on a totally different power for this one. Maybe the ability to induce hysteria or vertigo in others, or otherwise reach out and mess up an opponents brain chemistry temporarily. That might be interesting.
    • Boom Boom: Bigger booms.
    DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarkxSeraph

fodigg-- (and sorry, can't @reply at work. Old browser, doesn't support it)

Rachel Grey: They've already done this with Hellion and a few telekinetics. Amp up the power level and lose fine control. It'd just be a re-hash of old storytelling.

Shadowcat:

She can hold herself in place due to being able to literally walk on air molecules. This was explained of her powers a long time ago when she learned to walk on air. Giving her the ability to lock someone is place is completely un-related. Unless the secondary mutation is density control instead of simple intangibility. In that case, she just makes them so dense they are too heavy to move (or fall through the floor like the former Black Rook of the Hellfire club did to Wolverine backin the day)

Dazzler: She can't control sound at all. It's not her powerset. She transmutes it. Teleportation just doesn't seem to jive with alison, however. Though I do like the way you suggested it be based off her light powers.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

rachel grey - Maybe the arability to turn her physical body into an astral form

shadowcat - becoming really dense

Dazzler - able to generate and control darkness

Longshot - some kind of natural projectile

Havoc - flight

Polaris - able to move stone as well

Boom Boom - explosion absorption

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fodigg

@DarkxSeraph said:

fodigg-- (and sorry, can't @reply at work. Old browser, doesn't support it)

No worries. My replies below.

Rachel Grey: They've already done this with Hellion and a few telekinetics. Amp up the power level and lose fine control. It'd just be a re-hash of old storytelling.

Yes, I admitted as much with my mention of Psylocke. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be interesting here. It also gets Rachel Grey back into the original slot that she was supposed to fill now that the "returned" Jean Grey seems to be all about telepathy.

Shadowcat:She can hold herself in place due to being able to literally walk on air molecules. This was explained of her powers a long time ago when she learned to walk on air. Giving her the ability to lock someone is place is completely un-related. Unless the secondary mutation is density control instead of simple intangibility. In that case, she just makes them so dense they are too heavy to move (or fall through the floor like the former Black Rook of the Hellfire club did to Wolverine backin the day)

Secondary mutations don't necessarily have to have anything to do with a character's original mutations (e.g., Emma Frost). I still think it'd be nice to have them related thematically. I don't want to give her density control because that's a very different power set and she's already pretty damn powerful, what with the phasing and computer destruction and the ghost-ninja skills. A small ability to complement existing ones was what I was going for.

Dazzler: She can't control sound at all. It's not her powerset. She transmutes it. Teleportation just doesn't seem to jive with alison, however. Though I do like the way you suggested it be based off her light powers.

She still sings to "cast" her powers, as does Songbird. Giving her some sort of "siren" mind control would only increase the similarity. That was my only point.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DarkxSeraph

@Fodigg: You're forgetting that Emma Frost's mutation isn't natural. Cassandra Nova made it for her, it wasn't naturally occuring.

Which is why, for these, I lean toward more current power related secondaries--look at Beast's. He became... more bestial.

Right, but Alison sings to create sound to add to 'fuel' to her powers. Songbird flat-out manipulates sound. Alison just uses it for fuel.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tomchu

I always thought the idea of a second mutation was pretty much "A power that the plot needed that bridges the gap between "A power distinct enough for an X-Man to not have" and "A power that is not interesting to create a new character for the sole basis of using that power"."

Then again, seeing some second mutations can be pretty awesome.

What is Iceman's Second Mutation? I'm not too sure, It's always been all over the place for me (Chuck Austen, Jason Aaron,Scott Lobdell all had a say on what it is)

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Also, Polaris' secondary mutation is the electro-/magnetism powers, then her tertiary powers were the emotion absorption powers, plus the Pestilence powers which i'm not even sure if she has anymore. But i don't think she needs any more powers, she's messed up enough.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dangallant984

I don't know if this was her primary or secondary mutation, but I wish they did more with Pixie's hallucination powers, to make more allusion to her Mastermind connection; it just seems like a lot of untapped visual storytelling potential.

There also hasn't been a lot made of how powerful Northstar has become. It seems people only acknowledge his flight and super-speed powers, ignoring how super-tough and strong he has to be to have those powers, as well as his light based powers, which supposedly he can use on his own now, but never does. Again, it just seems like wasted potential.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fodigg

@DarkxSeraph said:

@Fodigg: You're forgetting that Emma Frost's mutation isn't natural. Cassandra Nova made it for her, it wasn't naturally occuring. Which is why, for these, I lean toward more current power related secondaries--look at Beast's. He became... more bestial. Right, but Alison sings to create sound to add to 'fuel' to her powers. Songbird flat-out manipulates sound. Alison just uses it for fuel.

Are we restricted to only naturally occurring or not? Because Beast's wasn't either.

As for sound transmutation vs. sound manipulation, you are picking at nits. They sing, then colorful beams and waves blast enemies. They are extremely similar visually and thematically.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Beast's blue furred state was not, no. And in an attempt to stabilize that, he went through the secondary that he had. But, it still evolved along the lines of his natural powers. Whereas Emma's was, quite literally, flat out designed for her, Beast's was not.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By umbrafeline

give kitty the power of the dim mak 'touch of death' with her kung-fu prowless

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DarkxSeraph

I always loved Kitty's ninja training. I love it when it gets showcased--like her fight with Logan as Death. She truly is a BA.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dangallant984

@umbrafeline said:

give kitty the power of the dim mak 'touch of death' with her kung-fu prowless

that's the thing with Kitty, like Beast, she doesn't really need any more powers to be interesting because she's already a genius with multiple cool skill sets beyond her powers. She's a computer expert with ninja training and cool super powers, that really should be more than enough, but is far from what she's been capable of doing with her wits alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.