Follow

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Movie » X-Men: Days of Future Past released on May 23, 2014.

The seventh installment in the X-Men film series, loosely based on the 1981 comic storyline. It marks Bryan Singer's return to the X-Men franchise. This time Wolverine and some X-Men have to save the future by changing the past.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

• 156 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Let’s be honest, the X-Men movies are a bit of a mess. With the different movies in different eras, you sometimes find yourself asking what is or isn’t canon? X-Men: Days of Future Past has the task to not only juggle the past First Class characters and the future versions but there’s also the ‘present day’ versions from the original movies to think about. Can this movie tie everything together? Yes and no. But that’s not necessarily something to spend too much time worrying about.

No Caption Provided

You can easily say this is an ambitious movie. Besides attempting to adapt a classic and well known story, there simply is a lot of ground to cover in the different time periods. My fear was we’d only get a tiny glimpse at the future world as it was clear from the trailers the majority of the focus would be in the past with Wolverine, Professor X, Magneto. Thankfully, this wasn’t the case.

The movie starts off showing the grim and desolate apocalyptic future the few remaining X-Men have to deal with. We see some familiar faces as past actors have returned and there’s a really cool opening battle. What’s refreshing is having the movie occasionally flip back and forth between the past and the future. It’s not always at the most ideal moments and there can be some jarring transitions but the main crux of the story is changing the future is dependent on the past events. Besides allowing us to see the future mutants in action, it reminds us how much is really at stake.

No Caption Provided

Unfortunately some of the mutants in the future are not allowed to be fleshed out. Having Daniel Cudmore return as Colossus is great but he’s only allowed action scenes because of the dire nature of the future. Blink was another great character to see in action. Quicksilver may have been a huge departure from his comic book counterpart but that can be slightly overlooked with how enjoyable a character he was and how cool seeing him in action was.

Other “new” mutants such as Bishop and Warpath felt like they were there just to add more to the roster. As much as we get to keep jumping back to the future, it would have been nice to see a little more of the time explored. Were the mutants put in camps by the Sentinels? Were these last remaining X-Men all the mutants that were left? How did the mutant that sends Wolverine’s mind back able to do so? Secondary mutation? (I won’t mention who in case it’s a bit of a spoiler). These are small concerns but ones you’ll be thinking about.

The meat of the movie deals with 1973. That makes this about ten years after First Class. If you were wondering about the other mutants from that movie not in this one, there is an explanation. The main focus is on Wolverine, Professor X, Beast, and Magneto trying to stop Mystique from assassinating Bolivar Trask, which would lead to the dark future. Realistically, yes, these are the main and important characters returning from First Class (with one other exception reduced to a cameo) plus, of course Wolverine.

No Caption Provided

The problem with this small band of mutants trying to stop a horrible future is it feels as if they’re not taking it completely seriously. We know the status of the other mutants from First Class but with so much at stake, was there really no one else that could help? Quicksilver may have been too young but his powers could have made things easier.

Compared to other X-Men movies (which I’ve recently re-watched most), I could say this might be my favorite one. We have a deep story and don’t have to sit through character origins. There are some minor plot holes in it but it can be overlooked as you watch everything play out. We have a nice mix of action with the story. We don’t get to see Wolverine fully lash out in the past and only get a few moments of Beast in action but we do get to see the story get fleshed out.

As for what this movie means to the entire X-Men movie universe and continuity…that’s an interesting thing to think about.

Days of Future Past is one of the most cherished stories that could be adapted for the big screen. It was an ambitious decision and the filmmakers and actors pulled it off, for the most part. We do have some obvious departures and changes that are necessary for the movie to work. These can be overlooked because you simply have fun while watching. While I have enjoyed most of the past X-Men movies, I would watch them and then want some time to pass before watching again. With Days of Future Past, I’m ready to watch it all over again.

And yes, there is an after-the-credits scene you won't want to miss.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lol "It's up to Wolverine and some X-Men". That just doesn't sit right with me.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Lol It's up to Wolverine and some X-Men in the past hahahaha love it. I'm actually a teensie bit excited about this even though I didn't care for any of the X team movies save for First Class.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm excited. Hope it performs well financially.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarthAznable
    Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I have been seeing a lot of postive reviews it has over 9/10 on both IMDb and Rottentomatoes.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Looking forward to this movie. Though I can understand why fans would be upset with the changes (some more extreme than others), personally I've just come to accept that this is an alternate X-Universe and it will never be exactly like the comics. Having begun looking at the X-Movies with that mindset, I've actually found watching them to be enjoyable. It's an alternate universe, characters will be different, but at this point I just roll with it. xD

That aside, I'll hopefully be seeing this movie either this weekend or early next week at the latest. Can't wait! ^_^

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HellionVulcan

The film isn't great but nor is it bad as it has some cool scenes Storm/Magneto stand out most but just the sheer amount of cannon fodder made disappointed. The end credit scene was weird as it looked more to Mr Sinister than Apocalypse.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally this seems to be the only X-Men film practically had fun watching. Also....

I envied the Vietnamese officer who was taken down by Mystique. During that scene damn her line where she says "don't you like me in this form?" is damn sexy and leg on his throat is a damn sexy way to get punished. I'd gladly allow myself to be punished by that woman any day. LMAO

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mildly surprised.. It looks really good

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Jphu8414

*Spoilers regarding end of movie*

Cyclops and Jean Grey are alive again, yay!!!

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I am so pumped for this movie, its incredible. I thought it comes out tomorrow? or was their a early 7 or 12 showing?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By LyraFay

" small band of mutants trying to stop a horrible future is it feels as if they’re not taking it completely seriously. We know the status of the other mutants from First Class but with so much at stake, was there really no one else that could help?" Um same with The Avengers. God dammit film logic.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Thought it was pretty good.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ehh...decent review at best.

I can't wait to see this tomorrow night, have my ticket pre-ordered. From what I've been hearing, this is the best X-Men film so far, so I'm really hoping it lives up to the hype that I've been hearing about.

BURNTHEPRIEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be seeing this tomorrow, my wife is more excited than I am to go see it, I'm actually only excited because of Dinklage.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cmaprice

I'm at an odd place. Part of my brain really wants each film installment to be great, but another just wants both the Fox and Sony Marvel franchises to die swiftly and go away. Seems like Fox has been recovering from their mid-series slump (X-Men & X2 being good, The Last Stand & Origins: Wolverine being downright awful, and First Class & The Wolverine seeming to recover a bit) -- especially compared to Sony's Spider-Man, which seems to be falling apart while they focus on franchise building without caring about the strength of the foundation.

But where Sony pretty much has Spidey on lockdown in perpetuity, Fox is at an (admittedly small) risk of losing their rights back to Disney. As such, there is a constant battle going on in my mind over the X-films; even when they do deliver, part of me is disappointed by its success.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have my ticket for the early showing tomorrow that's playing in my city. Not really early since it's for 10:00pm but it's worth it. I'm a little nervous about this one, to be honest. I really hope it's okay. This review has made me feel it should be.

javancain16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hislolita i'm doing the same thing in my local city but i always thought late shows were supposed at midnight but i think the movie is gonna be pretty great and i just hope they are leading into a X-Force movie after apocalypse

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

I'm still really excited to see this. I haven't been this excited about a movie in a long time. I hope it lives up to my hype and expectations. :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@javancain16:

Me too. I even got to see Winter Soldier a day early but the time set for that one was 8:30pm. It's weird. I remember one guy sitting in the very first row, right in the middle, and each seat beside him had little Dixie cups resting on the bottom part that was still in the flipped up position. I'm probably going to see him again, haha.

If they moved forward with an X-Force film, I would be ecstatic. I wonder what the owning rights are in that scenario.

javancain16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hislolita yes it would be amazing i mean fox doesn't own the rights but idk x-force could fall into that region they are a team of all mutants in a sense

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please Disney pony up a couple hundred mil(or more) and buy the licence back.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine: Days of Future Past.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it last night it's really good it helps fix the continuity a bit and I've gotta say I wanted more of Quicksilver he was definitely my favourite character

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im really surprised he didn't give this 5/5................

Avatar image for marvel_dc_heroes_villains
    marvel_dc_heroes_villains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty darn good. I watched it in a double bill with First Class at my local cinema (First Class is far worse than I remembered, a weak script and sometimes genuinely misogynistic), so all the characters were very much in my mind as I went into it. In an ideal world, I would have just had a pure 1973 movie, as I thought the future stuff, whilst visually cool (Magneto/Storm combo FTW), sort of jumbled the pace of things. Naturally, the lead performances were great, and some of the action was pretty breathtaking. I also liked how they used Magneto's powers, especially when he put metal into the polymer sentinels in order to control them, because it showed how he was more than just a telekinetic mutant limited to one element. Fassbender's Erik is such a badass. The highlight of the film was almost certainly the Quicksilver prison break, mainly because super speed, if directed right, is a pretty joyous power on-screen. Talking of direction, it was very good to have Bryan Singer back. He clearly loves and understand this world. There were bad points, and many of the characters seen in trailers and other promotional material appeared for 3 minutes, if that. I also thought Beast looked quite silly, but he always has, and I would have loved to see more of Peter Dinklage as Trask, but that's a very personal view as I'm currently on that Game of Thrones hype.

4/5.

JTHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should of been called X-Force.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Even if it is the best x-men movie to date? is that even really saying anything? I hope it's good, but even with these reviews (sometimes seeming forced and friendly) I'm still not too fired up.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im going to midnight showing tonight and i will judge it myself

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not sure if I want to see this yet. And on top of that, I still need to get around to seeing Godzilla.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@immortal777 said:

Wolverine: Days of Future Past.

@darthaznable said:

Lol "It's up to Wolverine and some X-Men". That just doesn't sit right with me.

@pokeysteve said:

Lol It's up to Wolverine and some X-Men in the past hahahaha love it. I'm actually a teensie bit excited about this even though I didn't care for any of the X team movies save for First Class.

Based on Singer's handling of X1 and X2, I was also concerned this would feel like "Wolverine... and, oh yeah, there's other X-Men, too." Thankfully, that isn't really the case. Yes, Wolverine gets a lot of screen time and yes, he technically is the main character, but the attention given to young Professor X, Mystique and Magneto was solid. And pokey, I'm in a similar boat. I thought X1 and X2 were enjoyable, but the prior to this, the only X-film that I really liked was FC. This changed that and is without question my favorite X-Men movie. It was my least anticipated CBM and, right now, it's looking like it just may be my favorite one. I just wish one character's new power was given an explanation....

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

Cyclops and Jean Grey are alive again, yay!!

You asshole.

Avatar image for youngman_logan96
    youngman_logan96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine ROCKS!

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@k4tzm4n said:

Based on Singer's handling of X1 and X2, I was also concerned this would feel like "Wolverine... and, oh yeah, there's other X-Men, too." Thankfully, that isn't really the case. Yes, Wolverine gets a lot of screen time and yes, he technically is the main character, but the attention given to young Professor X, Mystique and Magneto was solid. And pokey, I'm in a similar boat. I thought X1 and X2 were enjoyable, but the prior to this, the only X-film that I really liked was FC. This changed that and is without question my favorite X-Men movie. It was my least anticipated CBM and, right now, it's looking like it just may be my favorite one. I just wish one character's new power was given an explanation....

Okay, I'm getting sort of excited now! :D It was my least anticipated, however, after hearing all this high praise, I can't wait to see.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

Okay, I'm getting sort of excited now! :D It was my least anticipated, however, after hearing all this high praise, I can't wait to see.

Just keep in mind: this is coming from someone that enjoyed Cap 2 but didn't love it. I know I'm in the minority on that one. ;)

@jphu8414 said:

You asshole.

Please tell me you see how this is totally uncalled for, right? The person put spoilers in a spoiler box and then you chose to click it. There's no reason to insult them for something you chose to do. Please don't act like that again.

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More than Spider-Man I really wish Marvel Studios had the rights to the X-Men/mutants.

It would solve so many problems.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw this today. By far the best X-Men film, though I still have a few minor gripes with it.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a bit more optimistic, but TBQH I was hoping they would re-assemble the lineup during the present day part of the storyline - Colossus, Storm, Wolverine, Angel, Sprite, and Nightcrawler w/Prof. X might have been too many characters to juggle, though (funny how characters getting a few clips in the comic books can have sufficient development, but as soon as you add real life actors ((and yes, let's face it - over-acting)) a few scenes never seems sufficient).

The Brotherhood should be larger and more fully realized. Mystique alone, no offense to the character or the actresses that have played her, is just not that much of a threat if you had the right roster. It is like they went with an underpowered roster to partially make her more convincing as a lone antagonist. But time will tell. We still need to see what role Mags plays.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#41  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I just saw this today. By far the best X-Men film, though I still have a few minor gripes with it.

Same here

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm not a fan of how they really forced J-Law/Mystique into the forefront. It's like The Last Stand all over again.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By flameboy298

@cmaprice said:

I'm at an odd place. Part of my brain really wants each film installment to be great, but another just wants both the Fox and Sony Marvel franchises to die swiftly and go away. Seems like Fox has been recovering from their mid-series slump (X-Men & X2 being good, The Last Stand & Origins: Wolverine being downright awful, and First Class & The Wolverine seeming to recover a bit) -- especially compared to Sony's Spider-Man, which seems to be falling apart while they focus on franchise building without caring about the strength of the foundation.

But where Sony pretty much has Spidey on lockdown in perpetuity, Fox is at an (admittedly small) risk of losing their rights back to Disney. As such, there is a constant battle going on in my mind over the X-films; even when they do deliver, part of me is disappointed by its success.

Oh really....?

The only rights they have a small chance of losing is Deadpool.

I get what you mean though I mean on one head if Fox can bring out good quality X-men films than sure,but on the other hand I'd still like to see All of them back at Marvel so the characters can do cameos in movies and team-up films would be even better.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since everyone seems to love this movie does this mean we want Fox to keeping making Fox-men films?But I guess with Wolverine being at Fox we have more chances of seeing uncut versions of wolverine in the films.like The Wolverine which had a ton of blood and violence and was pretty sweet.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its only a matter of time before that RATBAG @wolverine08 shows up to grandstand about this movie. Don't feed the troll people and all will be golden.

Bruiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie looks really good.

But there;s an issue I've had with all of Bryan Singer's X-Men movies.

In First Class, Xavier made his "no killing" policy pretty clear with Magneto, and the reasons why he would not kill. But Wolverine walks around slicing everyone up - you'd think Xavier would have had something...

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By AlwaysBeClothing

Should be some good fun, I wish I hadn't seen the trailers and gone in unseen but I'll still have a good time. The review makes me hopeful!
    Edit: Having seen the movie I think the movie is a 4 or 5 star for me. The review touches on a few of the weaker elements of the story such as certain plotholes but the movie was definitely a lot of fun. There was a lot of fan service but I really ate that stuff up. A lot of nice callbacks to the previous movies, I enjoyed it immensely.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished seeing it. Not the film I was expecting to see but that doesn't make it bad. Agree on the continuity now, as that's up in the air. Also enjoyed the post credit scene.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.