Matthew Vaughn decides not to direct 'X-Men: First Class' sequel

• 70 results
#51 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

Singer is the best option. The other guy was good but X2 was amazing!!!

#52 Posted by RalfvdH (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't find Singers X-men movies all that bad .... On that time itself I found it brilliant. so let him do it... With the right consultant from the comic bizz it could turn out great... But don't let the suits and accountants from Hollywood get too much say in the thing... because they know crap....

#53 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

People are oddly negative here. There's no guarantee that Vaughn leaving wil make the film instantly worse, and there's no guarantee that it would have been any better had he come back. For all anyone knows if not Singer, then they could get someone else who makes a film better then first class. I feel with series like this you can't get to attached to directors cause they constantly shift to other projects they feel more attached too. Plus there's also no guarantee that the project they go to will do well, Mr. Singer, so he might be back later anyway.

Just announcing he's not coming back doesn't mean anything.

#54 Posted by Migz13 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Sucks! I thought he was going back!:P

#55 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

This is great news, Bryan Singer's films were the best

Re watch them, and then come again... All of the x men films were pretty damn horrible. But X2 was the most entertaining of the bunch.

#56 Posted by nappystr8 (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this is less than great news, Vaughn is a terrific director, but he never seems to committed to sticking with projects. He was actually the original director cast to X-Men: The Last Stand. I don't know if his dropping that movie last minute had anything to do with how bad that film became, or if the studio was doing so much to ruin it that he felt he had to leave to keep his reputation intact, either way I hope his reasons for leaving Days of Future Past don't have similar consequences. One bright spot is that Bryan Singer is a much better director than Brett Ratner, and one who has shown he actually cares about the franchise. Without Singer's two X-Men movies we wouldn't have an Avengers, we might not even have a Spider-Man movie. So I'm willing to take this less than great news in stride.

#57 Posted by DeusVult (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!! I Do not want Bryan singer to ruin this movie. I mean think about it, he directed X-men 1 and 2 and then went on to do Superman returns. These are some of the most inaccurate, and terribly made super hero movies of all time. Mark Millar your my only hope.

#58 Edited by Iron Fist Angel (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Read about this on Screen Rant the other day. Definitely not happy. I HATE Bryan Singer's movies. The only director out there who can make superheroes unbelievably boring.

#59 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

NOT GOOD the other X film are awful !!Now we finaly get a really good film in First Class and get tossed back in the crap....god i hope Singer can't do it.

#60 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

They are allowing the guy who made X-men 1&2 and Superman returns, to direct this movie? Hype killed.

#61 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care who directs, as long as its a good movie.

#62 Posted by Spidermac17 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were good respectively.. It'll be interesting to see Singer's take on the franchise after all this time and what elements if any he decides to incorporate from the other films

#63 Posted by Oblivious (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@pulseangel666 said:

Don't know about this, it could ruin a great movie and possible new series of film

I agree. Matthew Vaughn did a great job directing X-Men First Class. Although Matthew Vaughn "will stick around to produce" it's not the same as directing. Nolan, who directed all three Batman Films, will produce the upcoming Superman movie. Man of Steel will not be like the Batman films. In other words, it won't be that great of a movie. I don't like Bryan Singer as the director. Something tells me this is going to turn out ugly.

#64 Posted by molotovzav (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Vaughn back, I did not like any of the X-Men movies nor did I like Wolverine Origins, they managed to slaughter every character I ever liked starting with my all time comic favorite Rogue and ending with Gambit. X-Men: First Class had its shortcomings, but it was still, in my opinion, the first movie that actually felt like X-Men.

#65 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

between Bendis on X-Men, X-Men playing 2nd fiddle to the Avengers, and now this? Guess it just sucks to be an X-Men fan these days, huh?

#66 Posted by Queso6p4 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm. Not quite sue how I feel about this. Loved X2 but I also loved First Class.

#67 Posted by HexThis (881 posts) - - Show Bio

@DaltonMunnal said:

What's with all the disrespect for Singer here? His X-Men (along with the first Spider-Man) practically invented the modern comic book movie. Not too mention he worked on First Class which most people, myself included thought was great. Singer on Days of Future Past? Awesome news. Secret Service movie? Awesome news.

I agree. Singer was the first director to actually treat a superhero movie as anything other than some cartoonish endeavor for kids.

Another thing, there are so many infinitely worse superhero movies to pick on. Marvel movies actually being good is somewhat of a new thing. Daredevil? Spiderman 3? Hulk (the first one)? Iron Man 2? Elektra? The Fantastic Four movies? Even this most recent Spiderman movie was entirely upheld by the charm of Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield but otherwise was quite poorly constructed.

Singer is pretty low on my list when comes to directors to bitch about. Also, how can people overlook the glaringly apparent failure that was Brett Ratner!? If you are going to take a dig at anything X-men you might want to start there.

#68 Posted by HannibalKing (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I see it every time Singer or Superman are mentioned and I *still* don't understand the hate Superman Returns gets. I can understand why people don't like the film, but I see people constantly call it trash and act like it belongs with the likes of Elektra. That just boggles my mind. It's a 72 on Metacritic and a 76% on RT, that's not exactly terrible. It's not great, but it's hardly one of the worst superhero films like everyone seems to believe. Of course, I see people on here saying X2 was horrible and that makes my head explode.

#69 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not going to be an easy story, it is going to have sentinels, thats not going to be easy

#70 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

N0ooooooooooooooooooo!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.