inferiorego's X-Men #7 - To Serve & Protect, Part 1 review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Review: X-Men #7

The X-Men investigate something strange in New York City, something weird in the sewers. Spider-Man makes a guest appearance.

The Good

The best way to describe this issue is X-Men Detective Agency. The X-Men search for answers in the sewers of New York City. The investigators (Wolverine, Storm, Gambit, and Emma Frost) work together extremely well here. Great banter between the team thanks to writer Victor Gischler who has been wonderful on this volume since the beginning. Penciler and colorer Chris Bachalo takes over on this new storyline, and his line work and detail is great. Bachalo literally paints a great picture. You may be wondering why Spider-Man is in this issue, but he hasn't been mentioned yet. Spidey pops in on the last page, and to be honest, this storyline is looking to be a lot of fun.

The Bad

A couple things about this issue mildly rubber me the wrong way. The first problem I had was actually with the art. During some of the action scenes, which there were only a few, the art became a bit congested and a tad confusing. It's only a minor issue at most. The issue also started off a bit slow. It picked up quickly, and upon a second read-through, it wasn't a problem anymore.

The Verdict - 4.5/5- Highly Recommended

Great Jumping-On Point

It's a new story that has a lot of promise. The first story line was a lot of fun, and it seems like this one is right on track with the other one. For some reason, I've always enjoyed it more when the X-Men has to fight a hoard of villains/aliens/monsters rather than a singular menace. I have a feeling this one will be a lot of fun. Check it out!
Posted by MatKrenz

X-men Detective Agency? Dont you mean X-Factor?
Posted by inferiorego
@MatKrenz said:
" X-men Detective Agency? Dont you mean X-Factor?  "
lol
Staff
Posted by Sobe Cin

I have to be honest when I started reading the book I was turned off by the artwork, I've never been a fan of Bachalo, but by the end I was totally for his art, it really connected with the story. But on the flip side, I feel like I walked into the middle of a ten part series, especially with the fact that I felt like Spider-Man has been dealing with the menace for quite some time already.