krakoa's X-Men #2 - Curse of the Mutants, Part 2 review

• krakoa wrote this review on .
  • krakoa has written a total of 209 reviews. The last one was for

"You're All Soldiers"

The bulk of comic book fans I interact with either felt apprehension or outright disgust when Marvel dropped their trademark solicitations and hints that the X-men would battle vampires. I was among the doubtful, as I'm sure many of you were. It just seemed like a cash grab. The creative team here however, has done something truly great in that they have taken what has become (thanks to pop culture) a stale mythology and turned it into a compelling story. This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I feel so far, two issues in, this book somehow evokes the feel of the legendary Byrne/Claremont run on X-men. Perhaps, it's the scene with Colossus and Wolverine's fastball special, or just the dynamics of the team, but I am pleasantly surprised by the direction the X-men are going in and hope it signals even more quality reads to come.