hahamanhv's X-Men #2 - Curse of the Mutants, Part 2 review

X-Men v3 Issue 2

Well, after a great start, I think that this book has already slipped to the bottom of my stack concerning X-Books. It's not that this is bad, because it's not. It's just not all it should be, it's not enough of a flagship (With the name X-Men it should be one of the best books out there), and it's boring. I love the art, I like the way the team is portraying the vampire threat, but with the high caliber X-Books out there, this just doesn't do it for me. But hey, I'm picky. Maybe predictability is liked by everybody else.

The book starts with Wolverine and Colossus fighting a vampire in the hopes of bringing him in for testing with Dr. Nemesis. Turns out that this vampire happens to be sun-resistent, and has friends, that the ol' Ruskie and Canuck have to fight until in comes Blade! Dispatching the vampires with ease, Blade, Colossus and Wolverine nab one of them and bring him in for testing. Meanwhile, being tested is Jubilee, who feels "it" calling to her, but what "it" is she doesn't know. Next the X-Men are briefed on the full vampire situation, learn that Dracula has been replaced at the top of the chain, and that the new big bad is a bigger threat than Dracula ever was. Cue Jubilee, infected by the vampire virus, escaping Utopia and going straight into a heap of trouble...

Here's my problem with this issue, the plot is too barebones. While I like the briefing scene and opening fight down into the sewers of San Fran., the rest of the issue seemed a bit boring. Blade's presence was nice but it didn't quite do enough and it seemed like he said his bit and then everybody regarded him as the crazy old war veteran, even though he is the one with the best bet on how to face vampires. Cyclops's plan was sound, but I just didn't like the way they went about talking about it, with everybody avoiding saying it for about two pages while saying "Are you doing what I think you're doing?" It was just boring. Also, anything with the vampires, none of which we've ever seen or heard of before, was boring. Same for Jubilee, who just sucked the life out of every scene she was in and was a walking cliche from any vampire story I've ever read.
Paco Medina on art was servicable. As much as I love his art and as much as I love his look for every character that makes them so distinguishable, there are a few that bug me, largely his Dr. Nemesis, Jubilee, and Dr. Rao. Nemesis is too young, Jubilee too busty and tall which ages her, and Dr. Rao looks too modely compared to her previous incarnations. The fact that the scenes with these characters are dull as well doesn't help matters.
Overall, this issue was a disappointment, but still not too bad, it just didn't accomplish enough for me. While I'm still excited for next issue, this issue just seemed boring to me. 3 out of 5.

Posted by krisis

This review is right on - you totally articulated all of the weak spots, especially the minor issues with Medina's art.