krakoa's X-Men #1 - Curse of the Mutants, Part 1 review

• krakoa wrote this review on .
  • krakoa has written a total of 209 reviews. The last one was for

These Vampires Don't Suck

My reaction when the Vampire arc was announced was less than enthusiastic. I saw a marketing ploy and nothing else and expected suitably two dimensional writing. This issue, however, was a pleasant surprise. The artwork was great and the writing built up suspense and told a story in a way that was truer to the style of the X-men, then mere pandering to the vamp fad. While I'm not sold on the idea yet, and I expect a wave of money grab tie-ins. The way the X-men work best is when Marvel reels it all in. With one or two X-books of high quality the X-men would be great. Unfortunately, there are too many too follow and quantity seems to be elevated higher than quality.

Posted by Icemizer

I thought like you and figured that the vampire thing would just be a bad ploy by Marvel but was pleasently surprised. I really liked the way the crowd was infected but thought the X-men caught on a little to fast to the fact it was vampires. Thanks for the review.