thewifijedi's X-Men #1 - Curse of the Mutants, Part 1 review

Un-fun, uninspired and ultimately unnecessary

Maybe the title of my review is a bit harsh, but after reading the first issue of X-men, I can’t help but think what the point for this book to exits is?   I suppose the same could have been said for Astonishing X-men when it first arrived on the scene, but unlike Astonishing (at least the Whedon/Cassaday run which was amazing) this title brings nothing new or exciting to the world of X-men.

Cover/Art

Really like the cover, it’s bold and the great coloring really makes it stand-out.

The artwork is cool; I really enjoy the bloody cartoony style this book goes for.   It’s somewhat refreshing to see an x-book drawn like this, as I feel the “prime” x-books have gone for a more realistic look as of late.

Story

I’m sorry to say but this story feels very amateurish.   It really reads like a plot that I would come up with in my head when I was in the 8 grade, and I was super bored in class.  As I read panel after panel I kept thinking to myself, really…..really?

Look, I’ve been an ‘X’ fan for the better part of fifteen years.   I’ve been there through the highs and lows of the series, and it’s not that I don’t like seeing new x-books; I just want to see them with strong art and a story that seems relevant or moving to the X mythos.   I’ll stick with this series for a few more issues and see what comes of it.   Here’s hoping it picks up from here and becomes a must buy series.   It can only go up from here...right?